Favre has missed the boat in Green Bay for a Super Bowl

Cliff

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brett Favre has missed the boat in Green Bay for another Super Bowl.

Mike Sherman inherited a team with a solid talent base but failed to tweek the team into a Super Bowl team.

If Ted Thompson is capable of getting the job done it will obviously take longer than Favre will be around.

Cubanpenguin

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Favre comes back this year and we can continue off of the success the team had at the end of the season there is no reason we can't compete.

OP
OP
C

Cliff

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Favre comes back this year and we can continue off of the success the team had at the end of the season there is no reason we can't compete.

Do you mean beating teams with losing records?

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score

Mike Sherman inherited a team with a solid talent base but failed to tweek the team into a Super Bowl team.

If Ted Thompson is capable of getting the job done it will obviously take longer than Favre will be around.

Yes, as obvious as 3 - 13 team will NOT be playing in the NFC Championship game the next season.

Wait a tick ...

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score

To me it's not "obvious." If Favre does come back, they have a realistic shot. IF a few very important holes can be filled.

Cory

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cliff said:

To me it's not "obvious." If Favre does come back, they have a realistic shot. IF a few very important holes can be filled.

Kind of obvious that cliffy here is on a hate TT streak today.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
cheesey said:
Cliff said:

For some people, thats EVERYDAY.
I don't hate OR love the guy. To me, the jury is still out on if he's good at his job, or bad. I need to see more to make a decision either way. He's hit on some, and missed on some.

OP
OP
C

Cliff

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cliff said:

Yes, as obvious as 3 - 13 team will NOT be playing in the NFC Championship game the next season.

Wait a tick ...

lol

Reaction score
I totally agree.

However I am not going to say it is ALL Mike Sherman's fault. Yes he was the GM, but you have to remember he was also the HC. After a while, when it became apparent that Mike could lead this team to a winning record, he should have been relieved of his GM duties and someone in house that Sherman was comfortable working with should have gotten the job. ONE THING TO REMEMBER THOUGH: HINDSIGHT MAKES THINGS LOOK SO MUCH MORE SIMPLER THAN THEY REALLY ARE.

While Harlan should have stepped in on this, because Sherman was clearly exhausted doing both jobs, I think it can be understood why Harlan let things continue the way they were. When you look at it, the Packers were only one playmaker away from really being a threat, and Sherman's draft strategy reflected that. He was constantly moving up to get players with outstanding physical skills and great athletes (but not necessarily the best football players) in hopes of finding that one special talent to get the Packers over the hump. At least he attempted to get the Packers over the hump.

Also a part of the blame must go to the scouting staff, specially to the person(s) that Mike Sherman relied on for most of their info. They are in part responsible for the terrible scouting and subsequent drafting that occurred.

Sherman does deserve the majority of the blame, but it isn't all his fault.

OP
OP
C

Cliff

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cliff said:

...and they can start beating teams with winning records. 3-5 @ Lambeau just won't cut it!

Reaction score

The Packers have no legit playmaker besides Donald Driver, and possibly Charles Woodson and Brett Favre (not a sure thing).....

You need more than that to contend with the top teams..... a lot more.

Cory

Cheesehead
Reaction score
cheesey said:
Cliff said:

...and they can start beating teams with winning records. 3-5 @ Lambeau just won't cut it!

Whos the only coach in Packer history to lose a home game in the playoffs?

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score

Nothing wrong with it either. No one can make everyone happy. Look at those who 'hate' Ted now compare that to those who are willing to give Ted a chance to do his job.

Do you tihnk he or anyone gives a damn about those unknowledgable souls who hate him? I doubt it. He's the one who has one of the best jobs in the NFL. He's the General Manager of professional sports best (not talent wise) team. The haters are just jealous.

Cory

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:

The Packers have no legit playmaker besides Donald Driver, and possibly Charles Woodson and Brett Favre (not a sure thing).....

You need more than that to contend with the top teams..... a lot more.

Absolutely. Where are these playmakers going to come from? I would love to get a guy like Moss, but many in GB hate the guy.

Cory

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cory said:

Nothing wrong with it either. No one can make everyone happy. Look at those who 'hate' Ted now compare that to those who are willing to give Ted a chance to do his job.

Do you tihnk he or anyone gives a damn about those unknowledgable souls who hate him? I doubt it. He's the one who has one of the best jobs in the NFL. He's the General Manager of professional sports best (not talent wise) team. The haters are just jealous.

You're right. He has every right to think what he wants about TT. I was just stating the obvious about the two threads that were brought up.

Popcynical

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cliff said:

Wait a tick ...

Post of the thread.

OP
OP
C

Cliff

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cory said:

The Packers will NEVER win a Super Bowl with Ted Thompson as GM in Green Bay. You can take that to the bank.

Cory

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
Cory said:

The Packers will NEVER win a Super Bowl with Ted Thompson as GM in Green Bay. You can take that to the bank.

Lol and there it is...

Popcynical

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
Cory said:

Mrs. Cleo has spoken, everyone.

Can you tell me when the world will end next, please?

Cory

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cliff said:
Zero2Cool said:
Cory said:

The funny thing about it all is that if that is his standard, then why does he defend Mike Sherman?

OP
OP
C

Cliff

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Popcynical said:
Cliff said:
Zero2Cool said:
Cory said:

he Packers will NEVER win a Super Bowl with Ted Thompson as GM in Green Bay. You can take that to the bank.

The funny thing about it all is that if that is his standard, then why does he defend Mike Sherman?

Who?

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
Cory said:

I just got an email from Ted Thompson. He stated:
"I just saw on Packerforum where the "All knowing and Poweful CLIFF" has stated "The Packers will NEVER win a Super Bowl with Ted Thompson as GM in Green Bay. You can take that to the bank." So, i have decided to disband the Green Bay Packer orginization, and sell off Lambeau Field. I mean........what's the use??? Cliff said it CAN'T happen, so why even try???"
He ended it sobbing and curled up in a fetal position.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score

lemme guess, an if he does you are going to get me SB tickets, right Cliff Harris? ;)

You're pretty tough making statements that the percentages are in your favor. How bout telling us who would win a SB for Green Bay as GM?

Cory

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cory said:
Popcynical said:
Cliff said:
Zero2Cool said:
Cory said:

he Packers will NEVER win a Super Bowl with Ted Thompson as GM in Green Bay. You can take that to the bank.

Who?

I'f I'm wrong about you then I apologize. You just come off to me as someone who was ticked off when MS was relieved of his GM duties. The fact you use the term "GM replacement" and seem to pin all the Packers problems squarely on TT.

OP
OP
C

Cliff

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cliff said:
Cory said:
Popcynical said:
Cliff said:
Zero2Cool said:
Cory said:

Who?

I'f I'm wrong about you then I apologize. You just come off to me as someone who was ticked off when MS was relieved of his GM duties. The fact you use the term "GM replacement" and seem to pin all the Packers problems squarely on TT.

No apology necessary. I remember seeing a quote that says it all.

"Ron Wolf made a mistake by sticking the Packers with Mike Sherman. Bob Harlan corrected that mistake by sticking the Packers with Ted Thompson."

How so true!

Members online

Latest posts