Favre Considering Comeback (***July 2nd BREAKING***)

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Heh.

Well, that's that.

Now, it's back to the Atrium and the Right or Wrong post.

PackOne

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:
Retired quarterback Brett Favre responded quickly to an ESPN report about a possible return to play for the Green Bay Packers by saying, "It's all rumor."

When queried about a possible media firestorm, Favre text messaged, "No reason for it."

How dare you?!?! Who the hell are you to say what Brett did or did not text message?!?!? You better learn to keep your mouth shut or the fans are going turn on you faster than you can say "I feel comfortable in Wranglers"!

You better root Rodgers, or shut up - Bozz.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You know the best case for a Favre comeback would be in 2009 and that's if Aaron Rodgers struggles a lot. Like the Packers fall off the map because Rodgers is just down right awful.

If Favre were to comeback this year then I think that puts an end to the Aaron Rodgers era or it knocks him out before he even gets in the ring. I think Rodgers would leave or demand to be traded and I wouldn't blame him. Then GB would go with Favre and Brian Brohm I guess.

So it's a tough call. I have to admit I rather see Favre at QB than Rodgers but I also am excited for the future with Aaron Rodgers. This is certainly a situation that the Packers didn't want to be in.

At least Favre came out and told someone at the Sun Herald that it was just a rumor so hopefully that eases some people.

DGB454

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You better get on board with Woodsons killing spree or keep your mouth shut. He may come after you next.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Personally I would welcome him back to a challenge of starting QB in training camp.. if he wins out and Aaron balks.. then Aaron isn't the man I thought he was and will struggle in adversity, but if they can coexist for another year.. best of both worlds.. however if Aaron win the job out and Favre accepts that.. then we have the best tandem in the league bar none.

If the Packers don't want him back they have the option to release him.. but can you imagine the backlash TT and company would recieve til the end of their career in Green Bay.

But in the end, a comeback might be uncomfortable.. but shouldn't be necessarily view as a negative. At the very least, we would have a legitimate competition at the QB spot.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
BTW.. Mort and ESPN can kiss Packer nations **** again pumping up something that is nothing much more than speculation at this point.. an some wonder why I can't stand Mort.. headline grabber no matter the validity of the story.

PackOne

Cheesehead
Reaction score
BTW.. Mort and ESPN can kiss Packer nations **** again pumping up something that is nothing much more than speculation at this point.. an some wonder why I can't stand Mort.. headline grabber no matter the validity of the story.

Amen - take Titletown and stick it.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:
Secondly, WTF Al Harris? "I'd welcome him back with open arms".... Way to support your current starter, A-Rod.

Yeah, Harris continues to **** me off.

PackOne

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Secondly, WTF Al Harris? "I'd welcome him back with open arms".... Way to support your current starter, A-Rod.

I was waiting for you to make this obvious post before I said anything.

What the hell were you thinking Al? That quote isn't even the worst part, he also said something to the effect that (I'm pissed because I cant find the quote)"I know a lot of guys on the team would welcome him back"

Way to divide the team Al.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fox6 news had Favre's Mom on tonight. She said Brett felt that the Packers didn't do enough to make him feel they wanted him back. She said there are some in the organization that didn't seem to want him back, and that stuff may come out about it.

Tom Pipines (the head sportscaster) said she was refering to TT.
So this story isn't all just BS as some think. Otherwise, why would Favre's Mom say that stuff?

Now....here are my feelings......if Favre really even remotely felt he might play here this year, he never should have said he was quiting. He should have come in prepared, and IF he felt like retiring, then do so during camp or something. Now, he ends up looking like a bad guy for throwing the Packer organization under the bus. He quit, and Rodgers has been preparing himself for the season. If Favre does try to return here, I would bet Rodgers would demand a trade. Which i can't say i would blame him. So we would get one more year of Favre, and the very real possibility of losing the guy who sat for 3 years, being groomed as our long term QB.
Now....if Rodgers said he was ok with it, then that would make it all easier all around.
This whole situation might end up ******** up our entire season. Here they have this big thing planned for retiring Favre's number, and if he's so mad, will he even show up? Talk about a MAJOR distraction this whole thing has become.
Favre was set to make what........12 million this year? What more could someone want as proof that he's wanted back here? If he would have said he was going to play, and came in for training camp, he would have put the ball in TT's and MM's court if they really didn't want him back. He could have made THEM be the "bad guys", forcing their hands if they REALLY didn't want him. Forcing THEM to cut or trade him. Now......to me at least, Favre ends up looking like a spoiled brat. "They didn't TELL me they loved me and wanted me back! So i'm gonna take my ball and go home!"
I LOVE the guy, but this whole story puts a black eye on the stellar way he always seemed to carry himself.
Had i not heard his Mom on TV, i would have wrote all this off as a blown out of proportion story. But it must be so if she's speaking about it.
I'd hate to see him with a different team, but if this doesn't get smoothed over, i can't see him giving his all to a place where he seems to feel slighted him. Then the Packers might as well trade him, and at least get SOMETHING for him.
Like someone said earlier........Brett NEEDS Big Irv here right about now. Had he been here, i bet this garbage never would have happened in the first place.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The only good thing about that is Al is on defense and those 2 don't need to have the closest relationship. Had Driver said it or something...good god.

Less interviews, more practice, Al.

PackOne

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That was a good post cheesey. I read quite a bit of TT not returning any calls from the Favre camp. I have to ask why?

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Personally I would welcome him back to a challenge of starting QB in training camp.. if he wins out and Aaron balks.. then Aaron isn't the man I thought he was and will struggle in adversity, but if they can coexist for another year.. best of both worlds.. however if Aaron win the job out and Favre accepts that.. then we have the best tandem in the league bar none.

If the Packers don't want him back they have the option to release him.. but can you imagine the backlash TT and company would recieve til the end of their career in Green Bay.

But in the end, a comeback might be uncomfortable.. but shouldn't be necessarily view as a negative. At the very least, we would have a legitimate competition at the QB spot.

If the Pack released Favre, make no mistake about it the first team to call would be the Vikings and with Favre, I think Minnesota wins the NFC. I'm sure some Viking fans would object but deep down inside they know that's a move they'd like too see.

TT releases Favre it'd be a horrible move. I say if he wants to play and you don't want him, then trade him.

NFL_GEEK

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Damn.

First off, WTF Brett? Come on, you should be a bigger man than this.

he only said this because he does not want Brett to feel bad...

joe_smoe

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I dont get it....whats wrong with you all....I mean really....

If u want a-rod then root for a-rod...I personally am a favre fan and will always be a favre fan. Some say it would be a slap in the face if he left...WHY??? He's given you all he had day in and day out..I say if he wants to come back to the pack and they want him fine...If they dont want him then let him go to where he wants to go...Personally I dont see it as a slap in the face I see it as a slap in bretts face that they wouldnt want him back...Sure he retires and the wants reinstatement every year..So what? Your still a better team with him. You dont hear people in arizona pushing for leinart over warner, they just want the best guy on the field. I think its a shame that we dont too. Warner gets more respect in az. than brett does in GB....lol foolish...

THis is what I dont get... I mean yeah I hope the best for for a-rod, but what has he done really?...played a good game against dallas and thats it..For all u know he could be the next david carr or worse...It just seems odd that people dont want a three time MVP and instead want to go with a draft pick..News for ya how many QB draft pics actually pan out...How did leinart, young, boller, and alex smith play last yea? Sure a-rod could pan out, but the stats and history arent in his favor. as it could take more than 3 yr. to develope him...Just cause we were a superbowl contender last year doesnt mean we will be 3 years from now, If the trophy is in your sights go for it, there is never a future garantee....

PErsonally I feel if the pack dont want him its ok. But dont restrict what brett can do, he deserves more than that...If he does go to the vikings, opening night I'll be cheering just as loud for him, and fist fighting anyone who boos....lol

PWT36

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mike Vandermause GB Press-Gazette column: Make it Rodgers vs. Favre in camp
Mike Vandermause • July 3, 2008

If the reports on Wednesday are true that Brett Favre wants to come out of retirement, who can stop him?

Well, in a delicate and somewhat ironic twist, the Green Bay Packers might be the biggest stumbling block.

Favre was the face of the franchise for a decade and a half. He poured his heart and soul into the organization. He carried the team on his back to division titles, countless playoff appearances, NFC championships and a Super Bowl title.

It's difficult to turn your back on a future Hall of Fame quarterback like Favre, arguably the greatest player in the nearly 90-year history of the team. But there are indications the Packers might be willing to do that.

It's hard to fault the Packers for wanting to move forward. Time stops for no player, including someone as dynamic as Favre.

Team officials are confident Aaron Rodgers is their quarterback and don't want to see his development stunted.

In February, the Packers were seemingly OK with leaving Rodgers on the bench for another season. But when Favre announced his retirement, coach Mike McCarthy spent the rest of the offseason preparing his offense with Rodgers in mind.

Favre's return would undo much of that work. The Packers could adjust, but they don't appear enthusiastic about that prospect.

It leaves the team in an uncomfortable, almost awkward position. How do the Packers tactfully tell Favre they're no longer interested in his services? If that's the case, and Favre insists on reporting to training camp anyway, what will the Packers do?

Can the team that plans to retire Favre's number in a ceremony in September decide to cut or trade him in July? Neither option looks attractive.

Fans would never forgive General Manager Ted Thompson for trading Favre. But cutting him would be worse because it invites hideous visions of Favre wearing the jersey of some quarterback-starved team like the Minnesota Vikings or Chicago Bears.

As difficult as this is for the Packers, it has to be agonizing for Favre. Can we blame him if he wants to continue his passion of playing football? Perhaps he rushed his decision to retire and needed more time to clear his mind. As training camp draws near, maybe Favre realizes how real the Packers' Super Bowl chances are.

If Favre is serious about returning, there's only one solution.

The Packers should welcome Favre back, but open the competition with Rodgers for the starting job. May the best quarterback win.

There are no guarantees in life, and the same should hold true in football. Instead of inheriting the job, Favre and Rodgers would be forced to earn it.

Healthy competition would make the Packers better and avert a public relations nightmare at the same time.

Mike Vandermause is sports editor of the Press-Gazette.

Members online

Latest posts