Favre Considering Comeback (***July 2nd BREAKING***)

evad04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
On NFL Live Mortenson just came on and said that according to a source Favre is considering retirement and spoke to McCarthy about it a few weeks ago.

I don't know if this is a "non-story" but it definitely is a new development. Mort said the Packers officials he spoke to are concerned with Brett's legacy and probably wouldn't release him. Mort said he doesn't think anything is going to go down and it would take Favre pushing it far for anything to happen.

:!:

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
SPN's Chris Mortensen said Wednesday a Green Bay Packers source told him the 38-year-old Favre told coach Mike McCarthy in the past two weeks that he has the itch to play.

The Packers' former quarterback retired March 6 after a 17-year career.

Cornerback Al Harris said on ESPN's NFL Live that Favre also made similar comments to him.

"I know he has the itch to come back and play," Harris said. "If he will or not, I don't know."

The Packers had planned to use Aaron Rodgers as their quarterback for the upcoming season.

"Aaron is our quarterback," Harris said. "Brett's retired. But if he wanted to come back, there would be some guys who wouldn't mind it. I would welcome him back with open arms."

Uh oh. This could get ugly.

As you all know, Favre is my favorite player ever, but I'm not sure if it's a wise idea to come back. Favre's actually lucky he's taken the hits he has taken and can still walk. I'm more worried about his health. Part of me wants him to return and put the records out of reach (and I still believe he's the 3rd best QB in the NFL currently), but then as a person who is one year younger, I never played in the NFL and I'm in pain all the time, so I can only imagine what he's feeling. Probably best to remain retired.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh, forgot to include this:

SPN's Chris Mortensen said Wednesday a Green Bay Packers source told him the 38-year-old Favre told coach Mike McCarthy in the past two weeks that he has the itch to play.

The Packers' former quarterback retired March 6 after a 17-year career.

Cornerback Al Harris said on ESPN's NFL Live that Favre also made similar comments to him.

"I know he has the itch to come back and play," Harris said. "If he will or not, I don't know."

The Packers had planned to use Aaron Rodgers as their quarterback for the upcoming season.

"Aaron is our quarterback," Harris said. "Brett's retired. But if he wanted to come back, there would be some guys who wouldn't mind it. I would welcome him back with open arms."

From this source:
http://www.journaltimes.com/articles/2008/07/02/local_news/doc486be4b8c8daf952356488.txt

PackOne

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have read a few different version now. The whole 'is talking to the Coach' makes this a pretty solid story.

Remember the cancellation of the golf tournament?

His family is pressuring him.

Look out, here the storm comes.

wils0646

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I love the guy to death and he was the reason I became a Packer fan....but this situation is not good at all. I see this ending ugly. I don't see any good coming from this.

To elaborate, I don't think the Packers front office will want him back. Something will happen that could include an outright release or trade. That's what I meant.

trippster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey,

we could trade him and get someone. On the other hand...if he comes back isn't he our best QB? Don't we always want our best players playing?

PackOne

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sources close to Favre and the Packers told ESPN that Favre told Green Bay coach Mike McCarthy that he has an interest in reporting to training camp on July 28.

wils0646

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey,

we could trade him and get someone. On the other hand...if he comes back isn't he our best QB? Don't we always want our best players playing?

I don't know if it's that simple. I mean, hey, we had a whole off-season talking with and about Rodgers being the starter after waiting so long. The organization already moved on and were behind Rodgers the whole time.

It's not going to end well. We'll maybe lose Rodgers if Favre decides to play.

It's not good timing.

Timmons

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, we pretty much knew this was coming. I hope that it does not come to fruition. Both Favre and the Pack need to move on.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
so Mort is dropping this HUGE bombshell, but disclaiming at the end that "probably nothing will happen, and we won't hear anything about it"... ugh.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I keep hearing that he is still the 3rd best QB out there. IF you look at the Giants game AT HOME in the PLAYOFFS, i dont see how you could say that.

he looked done to me that day. now he is putting the Packers in such a bad spot.

Trade him to Miami for Jason Taylor and a second round pick.

Cal2GreenBay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ummm..he is NOT coming back to Green Bay.

he's lobbying to get cut so he can then go to Chicago, or Tampa Bay or Kansas City....

PackOne

Cheesehead
Reaction score

he's lobbying to get cut so he can then go to Chicago, or Tampa Bay or Kansas City....

I knew that was coming sometime soon.

EDIT: I don't think he would choose any of those teams.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score

That is not accurate. He is not lobbying to be 'cut', in fact if he were lobbying to play for another team at all, he would be lobbying for his 'release'. Also, he has no interest playing in Chicago or KC. I know why one would think Brett would play in Chicago since his record there is very impressive, I assure you, Brett Favre will NOT wear a Chicago Bear uniform.

Cal2GreenBay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cal2GreenBay said:

I knew that was coming sometime soon.

EDIT: I don't think he would choose any of those teams.

What team would take him? Atlanta? So he can squire another young QB? (Matt Ryan)?

Baltimore? (hmmm...maybe).

Those are the only teams I see who would get him. IT's not like Indy, New England or the NY Giants are looking for Favre.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
johnny_blood said:
he's lobbying to get cut so he can then go to Chicago

You are insane.

Cal2 is nervous, that is all.
His boy finally is proclaimed the starter of the Green Bay Packers and then a couple months later a reporter sniffing for a story gets someone to bite on his theory and reports it and it happens to be about ... Brett Favre again.
Cal2 is just nervous, not insane.

umair

Cheesehead
Reaction score
its going to look bad but i would not mind him coming back. :) its really fun watching him play.

Cal2GreenBay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
johnny_blood said:
Cal2GreenBay said:
he's lobbying to get cut so he can then go to Chicago

You are insane.

Cal2 is nervous, that is all.
His boy finally is proclaimed the starter of the Green Bay Packers and then a couple months later a reporter sniffing for a story gets someone to bite on his theory and reports it and it happens to be about ... Brett Favre again.
Cal2 is just nervous, not insane.

QUIVERING in my boots...

Actually I was doing Chris Angel..magician misdirection. Just mention the words "Chicago Bears" and everyone goes nuts and forgets what we were talking about in the first place.

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If this is indeed true, I cannot imagine Ted Thompson or Mike McCarthy being happy about it. I heard going back to the middle of the season that both McCarthy and Thompson sat down with Brett and told him they want him back an would like for him to finish out his contract. They also supposedly told him that the key is that they didn't want to have any more talk of retirement so that they could keep this team on task and not having Brett be a distraction, which is what was happening. So when he retired I was very surprised, and I'm not at all surprised that he doesn't want to retire now. The problem for the Packers is that if he comes back he really puts this team in a tough situation once again. You know what Brett needs more than anything? His dad. It's too bad old Irv wasn't here to guide this process.

Members online

Latest posts