Favre clears the air on trade speculation

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
When the Packers failed to acquire Randy Moss, was Brett Favre angry enough to ask his way out of Green Bay? The three-time NFL MVP said no on Monday.

I was frustrated a couple weeks back when Randy Moss was traded to New England. I never wanted to be traded and I don't want to be traded. I want to be in Green Bay. I want to finish my career as a Packer. Sometimes when I get frustrated I let my emotions get the better of me," Favre said Monday in a statement posted on the team's Web site.

"As I said in February when I announced that I was coming back, I am excited about the young talent on our team and the improvements we're going to see from one year to the next. I really enjoy the young guys I'm playing with. I'm working hard down in Mississippi right now, rehabbing, and I plan to be in the best shape of my life. I look forward to playing with this team and seeing what we can do. I think we can be pretty good."

Amid public grousing from Favre about the state of his team over the weekend, a report on the Fox Sports Web site, citing anonymous sources, said Favre's agent called Packers general manager Ted Thompson to request a trade a few days after last month's draft.

According to the report, Packers coach Mike McCarthy later called the quarterback and was able to calm his anger, getting Favre to admit that he didn't really want to play elsewhere.

In a statement posted on the Packers' Web site, Thompson said he would not address the specifics of the report but understood the frustration Favre vented in interviews over the weekend.

"I think it's natural for a player to be frustrated from time to time _ that's simply being human," Thompson said. "Everyone knows that Brett Favre is all about winning. As an organization, we share that commitment. And we want to win now."

Other Packers officials and Favre's agent, James "Bus" Cook, did not return telephone messages from The Associated Press on Sunday.

The Packers' mandatory minicamp begins Friday, and it was not clear whether Favre, who had surgery to remove bone spurs from his left ankle in late February, would attend. McCarthy said during the team's rookie orientation last weekend that he expected Favre to be present, even if he wasn't able to practice while he continues to recover from the surgery.

Favre didn't mention anything about wanting a trade in interviews he conducted during his annual charity golf tournament in Tunica, Miss. on Saturday. But Favre did make it clear that he believed the Packers passed on a chance to make "a steal" of a deal for Moss, who instead was traded from Oakland to New England April 29.

"It is disappointing," Favre said on Saturday. "We could have gotten him for less money than New England did. He wanted to play in Green Bay for the amount of money we would have paid him. It [was] well worth the risk."

Favre, who has flirted with retirement during the past several offseasons, told the team in February that he would return for his 17th NFL season.

Favre apparently spoke with Moss on several occasions before the draft. Favre's agent, Cook, was once Moss' agent as well, and still retains a lesser role representing the wide receiver in contract negotiations. That connection, though, is believed to have played no part in Favre's desire to add Moss to the Packers' passing game.

Instead, the Green Bay quarterback merely felt Moss could still add an explosive dimension to the Packers' offense.

"The last thing I want to do is start any [controversy]," Favre said. "But I think he would have been a great addition. You throw Randy Moss, you throw [current starters] Donald Driver and Greg Jennings on the field at the same time, and go three-wide receiver set ... and I think it's pretty intimidating. And we lost out on that, and I think that it's a shame, because I know we could have had him."

Favre, 37, acknowledged the obvious, that he is nearing the end of his celebrated career, one that will someday earn him a spot in the Hall of Fame. But he emphasized that he can still perform at a high level and that he wants to finish his career a winner.

"I'm not getting any younger and I think everybody knows that," Favre said. "I don't have five years to rebuild. ... I don't know if I've lost faith, and I think everyone in the organization wants to win. I just don't know if it includes me. If it's going to be five years from now, I'm not going to be here. This is 17 years for me and I want to win [now]."

The Associated Press and ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli contributed to this report.

OP
OP
Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Statement From Packers Quarterback Brett Favre

I was frustrated a couple weeks back when Randy Moss was traded to New England. I never wanted to be traded and I don't want to be traded. I want to be in Green Bay. I want to finish my career as a Packer. Sometimes when I get frustrated I let my emotions get the better of me.

As I said in February when I announced that I was coming back, I am excited about the young talent on our team and the improvements we're going to see from one year to the next. I really enjoy the young guys I'm playing with. I'm working hard down in Mississippi right now, rehabbing, and I plan to be in the best shape of my life.

I look forward to playing with this team and seeing what we can do. I think we can be pretty good.

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
:twocents: shoot, i bet TT is pissed, he probably planned on trading Brett for a 4th round pick in 2008.
then he could taken that pick and traded down to get three picks in the 6th round to get the packers back in the playoffs

OP
OP
Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
:twocents: shoot, i bet TT is pissed, he probably planned on trading Brett for a 4th round pick in 2008.
then he could taken that pick and traded down to get three picks in the 6th round to get the packers back in the playoffs

Actually, it was a 3rd he was hoping to get. He was as you said going to trade down, but he was going to get a later 3rd rd plus a 5th rd for it. He was going to take a OL with that 3rd rd selection and a WR with the 5th rd selection. The OL is being picked first because they come cheaper.

Bertram

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Bucs went to the Superbowl and won with Keyshawn Johnson, Joe Jurevicious and Keenan McCardell,

they had Brad Johnson at QB,

If Brett is such a great QB I think he has enough weapons without Moss.

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
dhpackr said:

Actually, it was a 3rd he was hoping to get. He was as you said going to trade down, but he was going to get a later 3rd rd plus a 5th rd for it. He was going to take a OL with that 3rd rd selection and a WR with the 5th rd selection. The OL is being picked first because they come cheaper.

:thumbsup:

OP
OP
Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
The Bucs went to the Superbowl and won with Keyshawn Johnson, Joe Jurevicious and Keenan McCardell,

Give me a break!

They did not go to OR win the SB because of their offense! It was their DEFENSE!

What you gonna say next, the Ravens went with Trent at QB and WR's Qadry Ismail, Brandon Stokley and Patrick Johnson?

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
dhpackr said:

come on zero your better than that.... i think.

Bertram

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bertram said:

Give me a break!

They did not go to OR win the SB because of their offense! It was their DEFENSE!

What you gonna say next, the Ravens went with Trent at QB and WR's Qadry Ismail, Brandon Stokley and Patrick Johnson?

and our defense is gonna win it for us.

You think Brett is any better now than Dilfer and Johnson were when they played in the Superbowl? I think not.

Cory

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bertram said:

Give me a break!

I think Trent Dilfer's leadership actually had alot to do with their success. They were 4-4 when Tony Banks was finally benched.

OP
OP
Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
dhpackr said:

come on zero your better than that.... i think.

Hey, give me a break man! lol I'm naked trying to hop in the shower but I keep hitting refresh and posting more hah

OP
OP
Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
Bertram said:

Give me a break!

You think Brett is any better now than Dilfer and Johnson were when they played in the Superbowl? I think not.

He has a stronger arm, more experience and more competitiveness than the two combined. You could have put Brett on either team for the full 16 game regular season and they'd have had the same result at the end of the year, a Super Bowl ring.

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
Bertram said:

Give me a break!

maybe you're a little slow, so I'll spell it out
The Bucs & Ravens offence had nothing to do with these teams going to the Super Bowl, it was these teams great defence which led them to make their super Bowl apperances, NOT THE QB!

SO IF THE PACKERS HAD A DEFENCE LIKE THE RAVENS HAD WHEN THEY WENT TO THE SUPER BOWL, THEN gb COULD GO WITH THE WR THEY HAVE

OP
OP
Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
but he throws more interceptions than the two combined.

Here's another discussion that's been hashed a dozen times.

If he had a defense of great as the Ravens/Bucs from their Super Bowl years, he wouldn't throw nearly as many because he wouldn't feel he needed to carry the team on his shoulders. Evidence supports that theory when you look at the years the Packers were dominating with their defense.

Bertram

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bertram said:
but he throws more interceptions than the two combined.

Here's another discussion that's been hashed a dozen times.

If he had a defense of great as the Ravens/Bucs from their Super Bowl years, he wouldn't throw nearly as many because he wouldn't feel he needed to carry the team on his shoulders. Evidence supports that theory when you look at the years the Packers were dominating with their defense.

my theory is that our defense is on their way to becoming a dominating defensive unit.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Doesn't this Favre explanation sound like he got a phone call last night or this morning, telling him to silence the talk.

Members online

Latest posts