FAVRE CAN COMPETE FOR STARTING JOB

Anubis

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From PFT.com

Posted by Mike Florio on July 13, 2008, 10:23 p.m. EDT
We heard on July 3 that the Packers’ attitude regarding a potential return from Brett Favre is that, if he wants to play, he needs to show up.

And, as we now understand it, the Packers are exhibiting that same attitude.

Despite reports and suggestions that Favre would be relegated to No. 2 on the depth chart unless and until starter Aaron Rodgers is injured or crashes/burns, we’re told by a source with knowledge of the team’s thinking (but who prefers to remain anonymous due to the sensitivity of the issue) that Favre would have a fair opportunity to unseat Rodgers, and that Favre’s relegation to backup is a reflection not of the team’s desire that he remain unretired, but of the reality that Rodgers and not Favre took the reps with the starting offense for all of the offseason program.

A significant amount of the coming season’s offense and defense are installed during those T-shirts and shorts sessions. As reported elsewhere (we’re too lazy to look it up right now), the Packers spent the 2008 offseason making tweaks to the offense aimed at tailoring it to Rodgers.

Thus, the team’s position is that Favre would need to prove that he provides a better option than Rodgers come Week One. If Favre does it, then he’ll be the starter.

Frankly, we can’t imagine Favre not winning the job. If Rodgers somehow keeps the job, it would take only one wounded duck or interception during the September 8 opener against the Vikings to spark a deafening chant of “WE WANT FAVRE” from the stands at Lambeau Field.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Rodgers somehow keeps the job, it would take only one wounded duck or interception during the September 8 opener against the Vikings to spark a deafening chant of “WE WANT FAVRE” from the stands at Lambeau Field.

Which is exactly why I think Favre will be traded if he reinstates himself to the active roster.

Just stating my opinion on the matter.

edit - for the record, I don't believe this article or its anonymous sources. I'll wait for an official response from the team(or reports froma credible journalist).

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You know I honestly hope this is what happens. I think it's best for all parties involved.

The thing is, I don't think Favre wants too compete. I hope I'm wrong but that's the vibe I get. In away I think Favre wants to be handed the job. I heard a quote on the news today

"Give me my helmet or give me my release."

I'm sorry but that's something I don't think any of us want to hear from Brett Favre regardless of anything that is happening.

PackOne

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Going to bed, Florio gets it right half of the time. He probably is taking the safe bet here though. We will see tomorrow I'm sure. Or not.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
The thing is, I don't think Favre wants too compete. I hope I'm wrong but that's the vibe I get. In away I think Favre wants to be handed the job. I heard a quote on the news today

Can't sleep.. but honestly, if Favre doesn't want to come in and earn the right to start by being t.he superior option.. then it is truly time to move on.

Said it from day one.. it should be an open competition to be fair for all involved.. if either Rodgers or Favre throw a fit about winning the job or sulking if they lose.. then as a team we don't need that element on this team.

Best option to win on the field, starts, the other prepares his **** off in case the other falters.. just like any other team in the NFL.

Brett.. step up, come to camp hungry and earn it if you want it.. if not.. then thank you for everything you have done for this franchise, city, state and all those you gave to in your charity works. I wish you nothing but the best in your future days.. but we need hungry players willing to compete to the end.. not looking for a handout.

Aaron.. you now have your chance to earn the right to start on the field.. take it if you can. And if you can't, keep your head up, this is one of the greatest players to play the game.. your only 24, there will be more days. Handle yourself with the pride and class you have for the past couple of years, and stay sharp. May your career with Green Bay prosper, and if not here elsewhere. Other than one comment, I have been impressed with your candor, and hope to see you preform in the Green and Gold for years.

These are men, not teenage boys with fragile egos.. start to communicate and work this through.. end the embarrassment this has become for all. please.

OP
OP
A

Anubis

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If PFT is reporting it, it must be true

Yep. Florio got the Michael Vick investigation wrong striaght from Day One. :roll:

Anyways....

I really hope this puts an end to this soap opera. As Porky88 stated, this is the best possible solution in a very complicated situation. Give the clear winner the job and let the team prepare for 2008!

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IronMan said:
If PFT is reporting it, it must be true

Yep. Florio got the Michael Vick investigation wrong striaght from Day One. :roll:

Can't argue with that logic.

Except I think his point was that there are definitely times where Florio is dead wrong. I don't think he was saying he's wrong 100% of the time. But hey, whatever.

I just hope a decision is made soon. All this speculating is driving me insane.

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Favre will not be in camp in my opinion.

You can not UN RING THE BELL. The Bell Has Been Rung, Loud And Long.

The Favre Camp has been ringing this bell for a long time.. Ding! Ding! "Ted Is A Ego Maniac." Ding! Ding! "Ted did not get Randy cause he wants to get rid of Brett." Ding! Ding! They drafted Rodgers he wants Brett Gone. "Ding! Ding!

If T.T. as a LEADER and G.M. allows Brett In Camp, he has tarnished his rep as a leader. No leader would allow that crap to be spit over and over again and then capitulate.

Reaction score
While I think this would be best for all parties involved, I can't imagine a scenario where Brett doesn't out perform Rodgers. Brett's still got a heck of an arm, he'll still make bonehead decisions but last season showed he has improved his decision making ability, and he's still got a cannon for an arm. The main thing though is that Brett's experience and ability to diagnose a D / understand the looks he is getting trumps Aaron's any day of the week.

That said, I personally think that this saga has reached a point where a divorce is the only option.

Pack93z

Reaction score
Raider Pride said:
If T.T. as a LEADER and G.M. allows Brett In Camp, he has tarnished his rep as a leader. No leader would allow that crap to be spit over and over again and then capitulate.

I think that boat has sailed in some eyes already.. personally I don't see it that way, but I guarantee there are some within the organization that have lost some faith already.. whether that be coaches, players or front office staff.. Yes that is speculation.. but Brett has been around here along time.. built alot of respect and admiration around.. I would find it hard to believe that there aren't a portion of the Packer organization that is disappointed with the direction.

IMO.. Ted has done about all he could do with this.. for my taste should have struck out a little earlier in the rumors via the press to shift some of the initial pressure on Favre.. instead of lagging and letting some in the press and public hear nothing but Favre's side for a couple of weeks.. but other than that.. has handled this well, that is if he invited Brett to return to a competition for the starting spot.. he personally is in a tough bind and is going to take a hit no matter what.. do what is best for the Packers and focus on the season ASAP.

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
here's what i think, and maybe it's the bastard/skeptic/bastard-skeptic in me.

the Packers have no intention of a QB competition. it basically contradicts their initial reaction to the "release me" stuff.

i would make/leak a statement like this if i was set on trading a player, but i didn't want potential trade partners to think i was set on trading that player.

Pack93z

Reaction score

the Packers have no intention of a QB competition. it basically contradicts their initial reaction to the "release me" stuff.

i would make/leak a statement like this if i was set on trading a player, but i didn't want potential trade partners to think i was set on trading that player.

Why I don't think that shall happen, unless we get a kings ransom for Favre.. the risk vs reward for dealing Favre and having him enjoy large success elsewhere would be a dagger that I don't think Ted could dodge here in Green Bay..

I think the safer option overall is to take Favre back, and take your chances with the fallout of either Favre or Rodgers.. we have a wild card in this senerio.. albeit not ready for action in 08' in Brohm.. what an insurance policy that late second rounder may become...

The cards have been dealt.. it is time for Ted and Brett to show there hands and end this crap..

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:
While I think this would be best for all parties involved, I can't imagine a scenario where Brett doesn't out perform Rodgers. Brett's still got a heck of an arm, he'll still make bonehead decisions but last season showed he has improved his decision making ability, and he's still got a cannon for an arm. The main thing though is that Brett's experience and ability to diagnose a D / understand the looks he is getting trumps Aaron's any day of the week.

That said, I personally think that this saga has reached a point where a divorce is the only option.

I think they were pretty even last year during the pre season. If I remember correctly Favre didn't do anything against Pittsburgh but Rodgers got the team moving very well. The Seattle game they both played well and Jacksonville I believe was pretty even as well. Tennessee Favre only saw one series but they did convert for a TD in that drive.

That's with Favre working with the team as much as he did last off season.

Now I don't think Rodgers will beat him out but it would be interesting if they perform close to one another and how the media reacts and quite frankly how Packer fans react.

OP
OP
A

Anubis

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I could see that if Favre was still on the active roster and TT was looking to deal him. However, there are far too many variables in this situation to think TT would risk a ballsy move like that. No one is going to give half of what TT is going to ask for if they are not 100% sure that Favre is going to play in 2008 - especially when they know as well as I do that TT would never pay $12 million for a backup QB.

DGB454

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I will state what I did before. If there is an open competition and Favre wins then we can say goodbye to Rodgers in 2009. I also believe Favre will leave again after this coming season. If Rodgers wins then we can say goodbye to Brett right now.

So which scenario is better?

Now if Favre were willing to renegotiate his contract to a more reasonable 2-3 million for 1 year and they could lock up Rodgers for another 5 years giving him some of that left over 10 million as a signing bonus then hopefully all would be happy.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I seriously doubt that the QB competition is actually going to happen. On paper, it seems like the most simple and reasonable solution, but in reality, it would be messy and would probably result in a divided locker room regardless of who won. It would be fine if these were two young guys competing for the job, or two vets who were on equal footing, but to pit the legend against the young guy, after the legend has already retired, would be awkward to say the least, all the more so because both players are very good. Rodgers played just as well as Favre in the preseason last year.

The situation right now is that Favre has asked to be released. It is possible that he has asked for release because he does not want to come back to a team where he could be a divisive figure, not only among players, but among management and fans. Remember, the Favre camp has been saying all along that one reason for Brett's retirement is that he was not sure if management was fully behind him anymore. Brett has denied this, but it probably was a factor, at least. Having to enter a QB competition is probably not Brett's idea of having management fully behind him.

The QB position is different from all other positions. Think of it this way: Would a team want to have two guys compete for the head coaching job in training camp, and may the best coach win? That would be ridiculous, of course, but there is some similarity to the QB situation. Generally it is better to identify the starting QB coming into training camp, so everyone can rally around him. That's what the Packers and Aaron Rodgers have been doing for the past several months.

My suspicion is that any hints of a QB competition from management are just a bluff or a stalling tactic. We'll see how this plays out.

jpigeon

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brett Favre will be the starting QB in the home opener on Monday night against the Vikes.

de_real_deal

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I will state what I did before. If there is an open competition and Favre wins then we can say goodbye to Rodgers in 2009. I also believe Favre will leave again after this coming season. If Rodgers wins then we can say goodbye to Brett right now.

So which scenario is better?

Now if Favre were willing to renegotiate his contract to a more reasonable 2-3 million for 1 year and they could lock up Rodgers for another 5 years giving him some of that left over 10 million as a signing bonus then hopefully all would be happy.

#1, they can afford to make Rodgers the highest paid player in the league and still carry Favres contract. They have plenty of cap space.

#2, the biggest leverage Favre has is his salary. It allows him to decide where he wants to play if at all. It almost forces the GM to start him or release/trade him soon. Also, no team is going to give up a draft pick knowing that Favre does not want to play there and will just retire. Especially at 13 mil per year.

If he renegotiates, TT can sit him on the bench for 3 years with no problem.

NodakPaul

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brett Favre will be the starting QB in the home opener on Monday night against the Vikes.

I guess I'll have to modify my signature then... :)

So I curious. What happens if/when Fav-re comes in, wins the starting job, and leads the Pack to another 4-12 season ala 2005?

de_real_deal

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Raider Pride said:

Same thing with Johnny the Jolly the drug dealer. If he allows Jolly into camp, he has tarnished his rep as a leader.

Members online

Latest posts