Favre bonus pushed back again.

smlutz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Link

The Green Bay Packers have taken the nettlesome roster bonus issue out of the Brett Favre retirement equation, moving the deadline for the $3 million payment to July 27, thus guaranteeing it won't have to be addressed again until the start of training camp.

According to a source familiar with the contract, Favre and the Packers agreed to move the roster bonus deadline from Saturday to July 27. The move all but guarantees that the Packers won't receive a decision from Favre this weekend, but it doesn't necessarily mean they won't hear anything until the start of camp.

The roster bonus date has been an artificial deadline used to encourage Favre to make a decision. However, it has been moved three times previously, from the fifth day of the new league year to the 12th day (March 22) to April 1 to April 15.

If Favre is on the roster at the time the deadline hits, he is guaranteed a $3 million payment on Dec. 1. It has previously been reported that the roster payment date was in September, but that is not the case.

However, the deadline is somewhat artificial because if it passes, the Packers don't owe Favre anything until December. Thus, contrary to some reports he does not become a free agent if the Packers don't hand over $3 million the day the roster bonus is due.

The Packers continue to move the roster bonus only as a safeguard against the unlikely scenario that Favre would play somewhere else. If the bonus date passes and Favre winds up playing for another team, then the Packers would be liable to pay him $3 million on Dec. 1.

So they continue to move the date just to be safe.

If the bonus date passes and Favre retires before the season starts he does not receive the money in December.

Moving the roster date to July 27 takes pressure off the Packers and Favre, especially in regard to media coverage. Every time the deadline date comes up there is increasing media coverage of Favre's impending decision whether to retire.

It's looking more and more like Favre won't make a decision until after the NFL draft April 29-30, although it's unclear whether that has been discussed between the two parties. General manager Ted Thompson has refused to discuss specifics of the roster bonus issue but has acknowledged that it's not a sure thing Favre will apprise him of his decision before the draft.

I'm so tired of this...

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, they REALLY pushed this one back. I think it is a crystal clear message to the media to SHUT THE F UP about it. I think GB and Brett are fed up with all the endless speculation and constant coverage.

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pyledriver80 said:
Yeah, they REALLY pushed this one back. I think it is a crystal clear message to the media to SHUT THE F UP about it. I think GB and Brett are fed up with all the endless speculation and constant coverage.

You could be right pyledriver and this could be good news indeed !!!

PWT36

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here is the last part of article by Mike Vandermause -Commentary- in the Green Bay Press-Gazette , Saturday, April 15, 2006.

(Last section of article is called) Brett Favre

quote" The future Hall of Fame quarterback has been called selfish ,wishy washy and hypocritical, not to mention an egocentric star holding the Packers organiztion hostage.

Such criticism is utter nonsense. Give Farve a break. He's earned it. This is one of the must significant decisions of his life. and shouldn't be taken lightly. If his timing doesn't fit the schedule of some weary fans or impatient media members. Too bad" unquote

Mike Vandermause is sports editor of The Green Bay Press-Gazette

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts