Favre Believes Young Linemen Will Learn, Improve

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Entire (17mins) 11:30 Conference.

by Mike Spofford, Packers.com
posted 08/16/2006

Quarterback Brett Favre certainly doesn't want to spend the rest of the season getting sacked and knocked around like he was in last Saturday's preseason opener at San Diego.

But Favre isn't about to push the panic button with the Packers' young offensive line just yet.

Favre indicated in his press conference on Wednesday that the rest of the preseason will give him a better gauge of the line in front of him this year because each game gives rookie guards Jason Spitz, Tony Moll and Daryn Colledge a chance to learn from the previous one.

"I try to think back to my first go-round, and it probably wasn't too pretty either," said Favre, who had a 67.2 passer rating in the 1991 preseason as a rookie with Atlanta, which was lower than any regular-season rating he has posted in the 14 years since.

"They gave great effort. It's a new offense, not only for those guys but for all of us, and it showed.

"I hope it gets better, and it will. You expect, especially as young as we are, that there will be mistakes, you just don't want to see them over and over again. We'll see."

The line's first chance to make up for its shaky performance against San Diego is this Saturday against Atlanta. Favre said that's all he and the team can focus on right now, getting better for that next preseason game.

He reiterated that he can see the talent in the young players the Packers drafted, on the offensive line and elsewhere, but he will have to be patient for everything to fall into place.

"If we can gel together quickly, and we have to do that, there is potential there," Favre said.

The Packers changed the starting offensive line this week after the San Diego game, moving Spitz from right guard to left guard to replace Colledge, and moving Moll from the No. 2 right tackle to starting right guard.

Favre wasn't asked how quickly he'd like the lineup settled, but on Tuesday both Head Coach Mike McCarthy and General Manager Ted Thompson said they don't plan on making it an ongoing game of musical chairs.

"By no means am I looking to go into Week 4 of the preseason not knowing who my line is," McCarthy said. "We will not operate that way. I've been around that before and don't believe in that approach. We're going to gather the information this week and hopefully have a decision sometime next week."

That means a lot will hinge on the players' performance against Atlanta, and Favre said there's no better way to make the offense efficient than to get the running game going.
Favre wasn't surprised the ground game struggled against San Diego, considering the Chargers' well-renowned front seven and their 3-4 alignment, which the Packers had hardly studied.

"When you watch the film there were some potential holes and things like that," Favre said. "I think we'll be fine. We have to be better than we were the other day."

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
Entire (17mins) 11:30 Conference.

by Mike Spofford, Packers.com
posted 08/16/2006

But Favre isn't about to push the panic button with the Packers' young offensive line just yet.

Favre indicated in his press conference on Wednesday that the rest of the preseason will give him a better gauge of the line in front of him this year because each game gives rookie guards Jason Spitz, Tony Moll and Daryn Colledge a chance to learn from the previous one.

"I try to think back to my first go-round, and it probably wasn't too pretty either," said Favre, who had a 67.2 passer rating in the 1991 preseason as a rookie with Atlanta, which was lower than any regular-season rating he has posted in the 14 years since.

"They gave great effort. It's a new offense, not only for those guys but for all of us, and it showed.

"I hope it gets better, and it will. You expect, especially as young as we are, that there will be mistakes, you just don't want to see them over and over again. We'll see."

The line's first chance to make up for its shaky performance against San Diego is this Saturday against Atlanta. Favre said that's all he and the team can focus on right now, getting better for that next preseason game.

He reiterated that he can see the talent in the young players the Packers drafted, on the offensive line and elsewhere, but he will have to be patient for everything to fall into place.

"If we can gel together quickly, and we have to do that, there is potential there," Favre said.

The Packers changed the starting offensive line this week after the San Diego game, moving Spitz from right guard to left guard to replace Colledge, and moving Moll from the No. 2 right tackle to starting right guard.

Favre wasn't asked how quickly he'd like the lineup settled, but on Tuesday both Head Coach Mike McCarthy and General Manager Ted Thompson said they don't plan on making it an ongoing game of musical chairs.

"By no means am I looking to go into Week 4 of the preseason not knowing who my line is," McCarthy said. "We will not operate that way. I've been around that before and don't believe in that approach. We're going to gather the information this week and hopefully have a decision sometime next week."

That means a lot will hinge on the players' performance against Atlanta, and Favre said there's no better way to make the offense efficient than to get the running game going.
Favre wasn't surprised the ground game struggled against San Diego, considering the Chargers' well-renowned front seven and their 3-4 alignment, which the Packers had hardly studied.

"When you watch the film there were some potential holes and things like that," Favre said. "I think we'll be fine.
We have to be better than we were the other day."

please oh please let this shut you up

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
haha thanks for the backup ND ... but it was all a big misunderstanding... haha you gotta tip toe around this place or else youll get the evil eyes from about 6 people before you can blink but good lookin out on everybodys part

OP
OP
Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Packnic said:
haha thanks for the backup ND ... but it was all a big misunderstanding... haha you gotta tip toe around this place or else youll get the evil eyes from about 6 people before you can blink but good lookin out on everybodys part

Especially when you quote someone
then say something in regards to shutting up
with out specifying a name!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:)

DakotaT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
Packnic said:

Especially when you quote someone then say something in regards to shutting up with out specifying a name.

)

Zero, buy an apostophe! I read that six times before I understood it.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pyledriver80 said:
Perhaps Brett was unable to see his O-Line from his back. Of course he says that.

Well what is Brett suppossed to say? They "suck" and won't get better. He's trying to give the team confidence. They're is talent with this team. We all agree with that. It's the lack of experience and cofidence with 1st and 2nd year players that is holding GB back.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
porky88 said:
pyledriver80 said:
Perhaps Brett was unable to see his O-Line from his back. Of course he says that.

Well what is Brett suppossed to say? They "suck" and won't get better. He's trying to give the team confidence. They're is talent with this team. We all agree with that. It's the lack of experience and cofidence with 1st and 2nd year players that is holding GB back.

Yeah, Brett has to say but trying to give the guys some confidence can't hurt.

Honestly, I think we need an emotional,passionate guy to get these guys fired up. Reggie would be great right about now. I think we are truly lacking that kind of leader. Can someone please call Ray Lewis or **** Vermeil?

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pyledriver80 said:
porky88 said:
pyledriver80 said:

Honestly, I think we need an emotional,passionate guy to get these guys fired up. Reggie would be great right about now. I think we are truly lacking that kind of leader. Can someone please call Ray Lewis or **** Vermeil?

No dis too McCarthy because he's only had 14 practices has the Packer Head Coach but from what I read, it seemed like Jim Bates would of fit the bill your looking for.

I would agree with you but I will say McCarthy looks and sounds the part of a Head Coach. Mike Sherman did not but Mike Sherman gave this team a winning attitude for 5 years. Let's see if McCarthy can.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
porky88 said:
pyledriver80 said:
porky88 said:
pyledriver80 said:

No dis too McCarthy because he's only had 14 practices has the Packer Head Coach but from what I read, it seemed like Jim Bates would of fit the bill your looking for.

I would agree with you but I will say McCarthy looks and sounds the part of a Head Coach. Mike Sherman did not but Mike Sherman gave this team a winning attitude for 5 years. Let's see if McCarthy can.

Great point about Bates! How quickly I forget. Honestly I don't see McCarthy being that kind of guy even though he "talks the game." I heard the excuses coming from him left and right when players were missing the OTA's. Right or Wrong you KNOW he wanted them there but then chose to GENTLE with them.

What really worries me is that after the game they interviewed him and he looked like a coach who was tired, confused and defeated. He, like the team, was completely emotionless. I just can't see that happening with Jim Bates.

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pyledriver80 said:
porky88 said:
pyledriver80 said:
porky88 said:
pyledriver80 said:

Great point about Bates! How quickly I forget. Honestly I don't see McCarthy being that kind of guy even though he "talks the game." I heard the excuses coming from him left and right when players were missing the OTA's. Right or Wrong you KNOW he wanted them there but then chose to GENTLE with them.

What really worries me is that after the game they interviewed him and he looked like a coach who was tired, confused and defeated. He, like the team, was completely emotionless. I just can't see that happening with Jim Bates.
MM took it like it was. An embarassing opening, no fluidity on either side of the ball, but everything that looked bad needs time to improve. Why can't we wait till, i don't know, week 1 or 2 before we call out the brand new head coach. I took MM to be having some composure rather than getting frustrated with his young, steep learning curve team's 1st performance.

Sorry, i honestly don't know-who does Jim Bates coach for now?

OP
OP
Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
all about da packers said:
porky88 said:
Bates is currently unemployed.

Which is a surprise to me.

I honestly think if TT would have done something to mend fences, Bates might be back in here. That would have been awsome IMO.

What fences needed to be mend? You don't have to go around smooching candidates butts because they were not (in ur opinion) the best man for the job. I mean, think how many times you've had your butt smooched if that was the case.

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brett is beside his bed saying a prayer.

"Dear God, please bless my family. Please bless my teammates. Provide for the needy and sick...and one more thing...please tell me if it's worth 10 million dollars to get mauled by Shaun Rogers, the Williams guys and Tank Johnson? Could you find a couple of guards out there? Can Fuzzy Thurston and Jerry Kramer still play?

Amen."

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yep....let's get Fuzzy out there. 65 year-old holding a "cancer kazoo" might be able to do a better job than these guys did last week. Hopefully we will see better results this week. Moll better be a quick learner. He's never played guard before in his life. Forcing them outta position usually doesn't work (ala Colledge), but maybe we'll get lucky this time.

Members online

Latest posts