Favorite Packer play

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What is the play that stands out in your mind as your favorite Packer play if all time? I'm going to go with the touchdown pass Rodgers threw to Jennings to cap off a SB win against the steelers in 2010. That was absolutely a rope that maybe only Rodgers and a few other qbs in the history of football could complete. I think even Jennings was shocked when he caught it that it didn't at least get knocked down.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Of all time???? Or just the time that we (you) started watching? Because there are to many outstanding plays throughout packer history. I respect that your play is your opinion, but IMO there are many plays that rival that one. Bart Star and his famous goal line QB sneak and the O-line that made that damn good push possible in the ice bowl, that was a better play IMO.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
From the Lombardi era:
The Starr sneak for the winning TD in the Ice Bowl. It was the culmination of what Lombardi meant to the Packers (The win over the Raiders in Super Bowl II was, in relation to this win, anti-climactic). The entire winning drive, considering the field conditions and personnel, was amazing. It put on display all that Lombardi had instilled in his teams. Lombardi realized his dream of winning three consecutive championships; in 9 years his teams appeared in six championship games, winning five.

From the Wolf/Holmgren era:
This is perhaps an odd choice but one play that is etched in my memory is the Dorsey Levens' catch in the NFCCG at Lambeau against Carolina. The Panthers had taken a 7-0 lead on an INT return. Levens ran for 35 yards on 3rd and one to set up first and ten at the Panther's 29-yard line. On the next play, Levens ran a route out of the backfield and up the sideline and drew coverage by a CB. Levens out-leaped the CB to grab a perfect pass from Favre - either Levens catches it or it falls incomplete - in the corner of the end zone and barely stays in bounds. If you find a replay of that play, the crowd goes silent as the ball is in the air and then just explodes at the catch. I knew then the Packers were going to their first post-Lombardi Super Bowl.

From the Thompson/McCarthy era:
The same as the OP. In Super Bowl XLV on third-and-10 with six minutes to go and the Pack nursing a 28-25 lead, Rodgers ducked into the huddle and said, "We're gonna be champions tonight.'' He zipped it about 30 yards in the air - amazingly it was barely touched by an outstretched fingertip of cornerback Ike Taylor. It landed right in Greg Jennings chest, and Green Bay drove to an insurance field goal. Beautiful throw. Quite literally, had it been one inch closer to Taylor, the ball would have been knocked away, and the Packers would have punted from their 25 with plenty of time for the Steelers to drive and build on their momentum.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Since I'm losing my memory it is the Rogers to Cobb pass that beat the Bears most recently. But, of all time, it's Starr's sneak for the NFL Championship. Anyone know of great plays that won Championships from '29, '30, and '31?

Beebe82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Getting chills just thinking about it, the Andre Rison TD pass to open up the scoring in Super Bowl XXXI. I watched the Super Bowl XXXI DVD every game day until they won 45 and always got the ******* when that play came on.

Royal Pain

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They are not necessarily my favorite Packer plays, but two that come to mind resulted in dramatic walk-off wins:

Al Harris making Matt Hasselbeck eat his words​

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Favre to Jennings in O.T. versus Broncos on MNF​

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
From the Lombardi era:
The Starr sneak for the winning TD in the Ice Bowl. It was the culmination of what Lombardi meant to the Packers (The win over the Raiders in Super Bowl II was, in relation to this win, anti-climactic). The entire winning drive, considering the field conditions and personnel, was amazing. It put on display all that Lombardi had instilled in his teams. Lombardi realized his dream of winning three consecutive championships; in 9 years his teams appeared in six championship games, winning five.

This play isn't just a "favorite". It's iconic. For the fans. For the team. For the NFL. For the sport.

ThxJack, you missed an entire era! How about the decades in between the era above and era below? The losing period of the 70s and 80s... Not a happy era for us fans, but an era never-the-less.

IMO, the highlight of this era would be the 1980 famous blocked FG that Chester Marcol caught and ran in for the winning TD against the Bears in OT.

From the Wolf/Holmgren era:
This is perhaps an odd choice but one play that is etched in my memory is the Dorsey Levens' catch in the NFCCG at Lambeau against Carolina. The Panthers had taken a 7-0 lead on an INT return. Levens ran for 35 yards on 3rd and one to set up first and ten at the Panther's 29-yard line. On the next play, Levens ran a route out of the backfield and up the sideline and drew coverage by a CB. Levens out-leaped the CB to grab a perfect pass from Favre - either Levens catches it or it falls incomplete - in the corner of the end zone and barely stays in bounds. If you find a replay of that play, the crowd goes silent as the ball is in the air and then just explodes at the catch. I knew then the Packers were going to their first post-Lombardi Super Bowl.

My most memorable play during this era is unfortunately the opposite of my favorite. But, it's a play that caused me to be a very grumpy person for months. It's a play that we all know as 4th and 28. Sorry to bring that up.

As for a favorite play, it comes in the SB victory. Desmond Howard's TD return was simply electrifying. The Patriots had all the momentum just moments before and the Packer lead was dwindling in the 3rd quarter. But, that 99 yard kick-off return just deflated Drew Bledsoe and his offensive mates. You could see it in their posture on the sidelines.

My 2nd favorite play (or, in this case "series" of plays) were Reggie White's back-to-back sacks of Drew Bledsoe on the Patriot's series immediately following Howards heroics above. It was Reggie's way of saying, "Don' even think 'bout it!" It was then, still in the 3rd quarter, that we all knew this was Reggie's and the Packers day... Of course, Reggie got another sack on their last series late in the game, just to cap it off. Thanks, Reggie, for that great memory! RIP.

From the Thompson/McCarthy era:
The same as the OP. In Super Bowl XLV on third-and-10 with six minutes to go and the Pack nursing a 28-25 lead, Rodgers ducked into the huddle and said, "We're gonna be champions tonight.'' He zipped it about 30 yards in the air - amazingly it was barely touched by an outstretched fingertip of cornerback Ike Taylor. It landed right in Greg Jennings chest, and Green Bay drove to an insurance field goal. Beautiful throw. Quite literally, had it been one inch closer to Taylor, the ball would have been knocked away, and the Packers would have punted from their 25 with plenty of time for the Steelers to drive and build on their momentum.

Another similar play in this game was the TD pass from Rodgers to Jennings where he hung on to the ball despite it being deflected marginally by the "outstretched fingertip" of Troy Polamalu. Another millimeter in the wrong direction and Polamalu blocks that ball entirely. However, I agree- the best play of the game was the strike to Jennings as you describe above. That was critical and came at a time that momentum was shifting to Pittsburgh. Rodgers had gotten sacked and a penalty made it 3rd and long. That was a great play.

However, another of my favorite plays goes to Kevin Greene's statement to Matthews of "Now is the time" comment caught on audio during a commercial break. One play later, Matthews forces a Mendenhall fumble and the rest is history. Note that my vote goes towards Kevin Greene's comment-- not the actual play. That is the stuff of legends.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
ThxJack, you missed an entire era! How about the decades in between the era above and era below? The losing period of the 70s and 80s... Not a happy era for us fans, but an era never-the-less.
I thought I was stretching the OP’s question, “What is the play…” by listing three and now you tell me three wasn’t enough! :D And while I neglected to pick a play from the era I refer to as “The Dark Ages” (yours is a fine choice IMO), I did not miss a single game of it. BTW, thank you for using “ThxJack” instead of “Jack”. It’s not a big deal but I am attempting to honor Vainisi – and my name isn’t Jack.

There certainly were some great moments and plays from Super Bowl XLV:
- Jordy making up for missing a TD pass on the opening drive by catching the next one for the first score of the game.
- Howard Green pressuring the QB in the end zone which led to Collins great INT return for a TD.
- Greene’s admonition and Clay’s instincts which led to the forced fumble as you mentioned. (That made up for Brett Swain’s dropping a pass which would have converted a 3rd and 10 deep in Packers territory.)

Another memory from that game (shown afterwards) was Jennings imploring coaches and Rodgers on the sidelines saying the Steelers can’t cover a route going to the back corner of the EZ. He was so adamant about it he said something like, ‘send anyone’ on that route so they didn't think he just wanted the ball. With about 12 minutes left in the game he scored a TD on that route and was wide open.

Rodgers play was incredible in that game and his stats should have been even better. Jordy dropped three passes, including what probably would have been 50 yard TD and Jones dropped what could have been a 75 yard TD. In McGinn’s review of the game he says Rodgers dart to Jennings on the 21-yard TD was in the air for .85 seconds (BTW, it was safety Ryan Clark who nearly got to it - Polamalu delivered a huge hit on Jennings as he was catching the ball). And the critical 31-yarder to Jennings for the first down - barely touched – was in the air for 1.05 seconds.

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
I thought I was stretching the OP’s question, “What is the play…” by listing three and now you tell me three wasn’t enough! :D ...

ThxJack, our expectations from you are higher than from other normal posters! :tup:

And, yes, it was Clark on the finger tip deflection followed up immediately by the Polamalu hit as Jennings fell backwards into the endzone. I have only watched that game a few times (actually >20). One would think I'd have it all memorized by now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts