Facts & Figures, News & Nuggets

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Charles Woodson has been CLEARED to play.

Aaron Rodgers is the ONLY starting QB in the whole NFC who has won a playoff game.

The Vikings have not won a game outdoors this season.

Green Bay hadn't lost a home game in the playoffs in their history, until Favre lost to Atlanta and Vick.
The Packers, as a whole, are now 1-4 at home in their last 5 playoff games.

Aaron Rodgers lost last week.
The last time Rodgers lost 2 in a row was 2010 week 5 & 6.

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Green Bay is favored by 9.

Last year, Packers were favored by 7 vs the Giants. Lost.

When Minny won the Moon playoff game in Green Bay with Moss, the Packers were also about a 6-point favorite.
When Atlanta won the playoff game in Green Bay with Vick, the Packers were about a 7 point favorite.
When NY beat the Packers in Green Bay for the 2007 NFC Championship, the Packers were a solid 7-point favorite.
The Packers are a favorite this time.
The Packers were favored last week in Minny.

Underdogs can & do win in the NFL playoffs.

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That one just never gets old!
You are correct!
And the funnier thing, IMO, is they haven't even BEEN TO a Super Bowl for 4 decades almost.
They missed the 80's. Missed the 90's. Missed the 00's. Here we are in 2013.
They had 2 great chances.
The 1998 15-1 Vikings choked vs Atlanta at home in the NFC Title game.
And of course the ole Gunslinger threw one away in the 2009 NFC Title game in New Orleans, a game in which the Vikings totally dominated, but fumbled like 4 times (Peterson a few), and then capped off of course by this golden nugget:
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
You are correct!
And the funnier thing, IMO, is they haven't even BEEN TO a Super Bowl for 4 decades almost.
They missed the 80's. Missed the 90's. Missed the 00's. Here we are in 2013.
They had 2 great chances.
The 1998 15-1 Vikings choked vs Atlanta at home in the NFC Title game.
And of course the ole Gunslinger threw one away in the 2009 NFC Title game in New Orleans, a game in which the Vikings totally dominated, but fumbled like 4 times (Peterson a few), and then capped off of course by this golden
Just means they're due

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
almost all stats in the NFL have too small of a sample size

A lot of them anyway. Although personal stats for an RB over the course of 20 or 30 carries is probably sufficient for a good measure of his ability against a particular defense.

okcpackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A lot of them anyway. Although personal stats for an RB over the course of 20 or 30 carries is probably sufficient for a good measure of his ability against a particular defense.

there are so many other factors that 20-30 carries is not even close to being sufficient, neither would 1000 carries, if we wanted a true scientific statistical analysis. Since this is the NFL we have to go off limited information though.

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
there are so many other factors that 20-30 carries is not even close to being sufficient, neither would 1000 carries, if we wanted a true scientific statistical analysis. Since this is the NFL we have to go off limited information though.

Okay, change it to from RB to "team's ability to run" and the sample is sufficient. I'm not talking about scientific precision here. I'm merely talking about a reasonable degree of predictability. Don't need a .02 level of significance for that. .10 would be fine. If scientific precision is your standard of validity in football, then you would be required to say that Pittsburgh's defense is no better than New Orleans because there are so many factors involved and 16 games isn't sufficient to make a comparison, which is ridiculous, of course. So the bottom line here is that statistics in sports is a little different beast that statistics in research.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Vikings are 0-4 in SB games
And how many people on this board were alive to even watch one of those games live? It's like bragging on the Packers winning in the 60's when you weren't around to see it. Moot point. Different teams, different rules, different players, different owners. Has nothing to do with what happens today, tomorrow or Saturday.

As to the 15-1 team losing to Atlanta's 14-2 team, I am surprised a Packer fan would even bring that up after last year.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And how many people on this board were alive to even watch one of those games live? It's like bragging on the Packers winning in the 60's when you weren't around to see it. Moot point. Different teams, different rules, different players, different owners. Has nothing to do with what happens today, tomorrow or Saturday.
Correct. It has more to do with God punishing them and favoring the Packers.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score

As to the 15-1 team losing to Atlanta's 14-2 team, I am surprised a Packer fan would even bring that up after last year.

Hey, I was alive. :eek: I've watched every Super Bowl. Anyway it doesn't matter who watched when, the facts are the facts aren't they? Vikes have never won a Super Bowl (and won't this year).

But good point on the 15-1 thingy.:sick:

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

Its a fun stat to put out

If i was on a Vik board then you have a point :)

NorthWestCheeseHead

Cheesehead
Reaction score

If you don't like being reminded of your team's history I suggest you become a fan of a team with a "better" history. I do agree with your, "Different teams, different rules, different players, different owners. Has nothing to do with what happens today, tomorrow or Saturday", bit. But it is fun to laugh about it none the less.

And no, I don't want to talk about last year.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Hey, I was alive. :eek: I've watched every Super Bowl. Anyway it doesn't matter who watched when, the facts are the facts aren't they? Vikes have never won a Super Bowl (and won't this year).

But good point on the 15-1 thingy.:sick:
I remember watching all of them as well. And all the interviews with Lombardi on the local TV stations in Green Bay. And the glory years of the Packers in the 70's. :)

Its a fun stat to put out

If i was on a Vik board then you have a point :)
I am actually way over the 0-4 thing anyway. It's been so long. At least we didn't lose 4 in a row like Buffalo.

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score

True. At least those Viking chokers did win one playoff game.
But their playoff loss was so much more painful. I lived in Minnesota at that time and remember vividly watching it with some Viking friends.
I was rooting hard for the underdog Falcons.
Now I wish we would have gotten the Broncos-Vikings Super Bowl matchup that would have been the dream matchup that year instead of the flukey Falcons who were blown out.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
True. At least those Viking chokers did win one playoff game.
But their playoff loss was so much more painful. I lived in Minnesota at that time and remember vividly watching it with some Viking friends.
I was rooting hard for the underdog Falcons.
Now I wish we would have gotten the Broncos-Vikings Super Bowl matchup that would have been the dream matchup that year instead of the flukey Falcons who were blown out.
What sucks about that more than anything, is I think the Vikings could have taken the Broncos that year. I think had the Falcons beat the Bronco's that game wouldn't hurt so much. But to get blown out like they did.

NorthWestCheeseHead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What sucks about that more than anything, is I think the Vikings could have taken the Broncos that year. I think had the Falcons beat the Bronco's that game wouldn't hurt so much. But to get blown out like they did.
I gotta say I was living in MN at the time too. Was in High School at the time living in St Paul. Everyone in my school knew I was a Packer fan, even the teachers. That whole season was ridiculous in getting taunted almost daily by my classmates and gym teacher. I reveled in every minute of that loss, I also hated Vick and the Falcons at the time so I was all about them losing too. But Elway was still under center for the Broncos and I have loathed his smug face since they won the Super Bowl vs the Pack back in 98. I didn't know who to root for that year. In the end I think I ended up rooting for the Falcons and asking myself "why?".

Members online

Latest posts