Expanding the Big Ten

DergaSmash

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think it matters all that much, other than giving a smaller independant school more help in recruiting. The big ten has a lot more to do other than expand if they want to start being a real power in college football.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Notre Dame TV profits much more than Big Ten tv. This while sucking for the last 15-20 years. And they still get invited to bowls and profit more if they were to join a pre-stabilished value system.

They won't join because financially it's a disadvantage to them.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think eventually its going to be 4 big conferences. They will control almost all the bowl games, and the money. This will also lead to playoff system I believe. Each conference will have their own network, as this is just a land grab for big tv markets. I think traditional rivalries will be destroyed to some extent, such as Ohio St Wisconsin, since teams like that will only play each other every 3-4 years. This might take 10 years to happen

aaronqb

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think eventually its going to be 4 big conferences. They will control almost all the bowl games, and the money. This will also lead to playoff system I believe. Each conference will have their own network, as this is just a land grab for big tv markets. I think traditional rivalries will be destroyed to some extent, such as Ohio St Wisconsin, since teams like that will only play each other every 3-4 years. This might take 10 years to happen

I agree - there will be fewer conferences and eventually a playoff system. Dan Wetzel (Yahoo Sports) wrote an excellent article on this earlier in the week. The game changer is the Big 10 Network where the Big 10 has effectively eliminated the middle man (major TV networks) and reaped a large financial windfall. Look for other conferences to follow suit. At this point, the Big 10 is looking to expand into other large TV markets with research universities and expand the reach of the Big 10 Network.

I also read that Big 10 schools are making as much now as Notre Dame due to this network. I believe Notre Dame will be much more willing to talk.

I would like to see Texas, Rutgers, Texas A&M, Syracuse, and schools like that to become teams 13-16.

If the money is there, the programs will improve.

aaronqb

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No way. ND football is independent by nature, and it makes more money than any other program by it's own, even with the long drought.

I don't believe that is true. ND makes $15m per year from its TV deal.

Here's where the Big 10 is:

Last year, schools received roughly $9 million each from the conference's deal with ABC/ESPN and another $7 million to $8 million from the BTN. Add revenue from bowl games, the NCAA basketball tournament and licensing, and you arrive at the estimated $22 million-a-year distribution figure that's the envy of every Division I school outside the Southeastern Conference.

Big Ten Network officially a cash cow - College Basketball Nation Blog - ESPN

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't believe that is true. ND makes $15m per year from its TV deal.

Here's where the Big 10 is:

Last year, schools received roughly $9 million each from the conference's deal with ABC/ESPN and another $7 million to $8 million from the BTN. Add revenue from bowl games, the NCAA basketball tournament and licensing, and you arrive at the estimated $22 million-a-year distribution figure that's the envy of every Division I school outside the Southeastern Conference.

Big Ten Network officially a cash cow - College Basketball Nation Blog - ESPN
You're discounting ND making revenues from their constant invitation to bowl games, as well as forgetting that ND already is in the Big East for basketball...

Members online

Latest posts