EXACTLY WHERE WERE YOU.

Rios39

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was on the computer. I'm starting to follow the Jays and spring training so I was seeing how that was going after following the game a bit I decided to go to the main page of the Globe And Mail (News paper site) to read some spring training updates and glanced down and saw favres picture, I looked back and it said favre retires. I immediately jumped back and felt my heart sink. Then I made my way to this forum and saw it was posted and my hear sank.

I'll never forget the moment ever. It was shock and sadness put together. Felt like I lost a best friend. I grew up watching Favre and I never really got to watch a legend play for my favorite team in any sport beside Favre. Now I realize 10-20-30 years from now it will be like when people say " I watched Babe Bruth" for me it's going to be "yeah I grew up watching the legendary Green Bay Packer Brett Favre".

It will take me a long time to get over it. And it's not so much that it makes the team worse off it's the fact that I will never get to see Brett Favre play another game. Mind blowing really.

Toddy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I had just gotten out of bed and jumped on NFL.com (as I do every morning before school) and there was this huge banner across the top of the page saying that he retired. My heart sank. Then I thought "Bring on the A-Rod". Then later walking to school I thought about all awesome things he did over the past year that won't happen again.

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
in bed.

i had just woke up and my tv was on NFL network from the night before. it was about 8am pacific. i think we've all been semi-preparing for this news for the last few years...i still was not prepared.

eap33

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Since my story seems to follow the trend, I figure I'll just add the fact that from 9am to Noon today I received the following text messages:

"You're boy is done."
"Sorry about Farve" (yes... spelling and all)
"Turn on espn sorry bro"
"RETIRED!!!!!"
"Need a tissue?" (from my cousin who's a 49ers fan... "Having no qb is better than having Alex Smith" was my response)
"Favre retired? Sucks."
"Favre is done"

All from different people. Interesting being the only Packers fan in my circle.

zoogies

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was in my college library, early morning, about to take a physics quiz. I thought I'd check my email, maybe read some news, while waiting to start, 'cos you know, it's early and I wanted to get my mind warmed up for the day.

And then came the PackerForum email.

It's a mixture of relief and sadness. Relief because I thought it was 'bout time. I think it would have been a mistake to hang on for another year and possibly diminish his legacy, but it was up to him. And it was definitely a sad day because Favre is the consummate pro athlete. There won't be another quite like him.

It'll take a while to digest this - something we all saw coming for several years, but now that it's actually happened, final...the aftershock's rumbles are going to be felt for some time.

Hats off to Favre. The sports world will never be the same.

And best of luck to you Pack. You have a promising young team, and now it's finally time for a new leader, I guess...

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Me........i ahd just walked to the laundrymat, put on my radio, and there it was. I felt like i had been punched in the stomach. I loaded the clothes into the washer, then quickly walked home to put on the TV, and there it was.....the bad news confirmed. I called my wife (she was at work) and left her a voicemail........kind of a warning that i might be in a bad mood. :(

Tiger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really dont feel sad or disappointed as such. Its just change, its good, but id love to see ARod play a game tomorrow for the Packers and just see how he handles it, either way i cant wait til the season starts!

Hammer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Working in my lab, put the headphones on for a few minutes like I usually do when I get the chance and heard the breaking news on Mike and Mike, ESPN.

Reaction score
Came home and saw the post on the pf.com homepage, and realizing Ryan wouldn't post it unless it was confirmed, first thought was 'WTF', couldn't really believe it happened.

LambeauEast

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Was at home and got text from my girlfriend. And oddly enough,was "ok" with it, until NFL Network started showing all the Favre shows. Come to find out I wasn't as ok with it as I had thought. But the sun rose today, and I'm anxious to see what Rodgers can do.

PackinSteel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Raider Pride said:
I was parking at the train station and my first thought was "I'd better call Heather!"

YOU HAVE A TRAIN? That is so cool. I only have as S.U.V. I always wanted a train.

PackinSteel: What did Heather say when you called her? I bet you both had an interesting evening together.

Cheers,

R.P.

Yeah, I take a train 50+ miles to downtown LA.

Heather was kinda numb and at that moment it was still just "being reported" but not confirmed. She disappointed as we all are of course.

Right now I'm just trying to keep her from eating all the chocolate she can get her hands on :D

TheKanataThrilla

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was at work and decided to check TSN to view the posts on the Sens hockey game the night before when I read the headline. I instantly wrote an e-mail to my girlfriend titled NOOOOOOO. I was pretty messed up all day and decided to meet up with buddies for some drinks and talk football and watch the sports at the bar as they no doubt were going to show tonnes of Favre footage. I'm a little bit hungover and a little bit sad still, but his decision makes sense. Go out when the league still wants you, not when you are cut or are hurting your legacy. I still think he had a few more years in him, but probably those years should be with another team. I am glad he retired in Green Bay and not for some other organization.

BangTheDrum

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was in bed, hungover as ****... One of my roommates told me while I was still in a fog, woke up an hour later and thought "did someone say favre retired"?

So I got on myy comp, noticed I had about 14 IMs and thought oh no, this is really happening...

Within a half an hour I was showered and at the bar as advertised, proceeded to get hammered and watch Favre forever with my buddies

MontanaBob

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Uh, since most of us are honest, I will be too. I was at school, in the staff restroom, sitting there contemplating the future and trying to figure out my new cell phone (it has e-mail on it) when up popped the Packerforum message that Favre had retired.

It's a good thing my pants were down as I would have .....never mind. You get the idea!

I told the other 5 teachers who are Packer fans and we went into mourning. Yelled at some kids, threw a few snowballs at a school bus and we were fine.
Today we all have our Favre Jerseys on. One parent wondered if we had a conspiracy going on. Plus, it's parent/teacher conferences tonight. This ought to be interesting.

PackFanWithTwins

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brett could not have picked a worse day for me.

I woke up, got showered, dressed in my Packer polo and went into work. Not turing on the TV or my computer. The bad part is that I was working in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area. So here comes the Cowboy fans saying "Hey, your boy retired." No TV, No Internet, nothing until I got to the airport for my return home to WI.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Uh, since most of us are honest, I will be too. I was at school, in the staff restroom, sitting there contemplating the future and trying to figure out my new cell phone (it has e-mail on it) when up popped the Packerforum message that Favre had retired.

It's a good thing my pants were down as I would have .....never mind. You get the idea!

I told the other 5 teachers who are Packer fans and we went into mourning. Yelled at some kids, threw a few snowballs at a school bus and we were fine.
Today we all have our Favre Jerseys on. One parent wondered if we had a conspiracy going on. Plus, it's parent/teacher conferences tonight. This ought to be interesting.

it'll be good. what are they gonna do, fire ya?! hahaha.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was in bed, hungover as ****... One of my roommates told me while I was still in a fog, woke up an hour later and thought "did someone say favre retired"?

So I got on myy comp, noticed I had about 14 IMs and thought oh no, this is really happening...

Within a half an hour I was showered and at the bar as advertised, proceeded to get hammered and watch Favre forever with my buddies

you sound like a disgusting person. hungover at 11am, wake up walk to the computer... cuss a little. showered and then right back at the bar to drink the pain away.

needless to say... i like your style.

evad04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was up really late the night before working on a midterm paper. I have a 9:40 class that I was about to sleep through when I got a phone call. I was too ashamed to answer it, because it was my girlfriend and she'd know that at 9:40 if I sounded sleepy it meant my lazy *** was skipping AGAIN. So I let it go to message. At around the same time my fellow Packer fanatic friend sent me a text message. He said, "Have you seen ESPN.com today?"

My stomach turned sour. I knew it. I go to ESPN.com's front page and see, "Goodbye Brett"

I went to NFL.com and watched my favorite Favre clips from this year, came to THIS website to see people's reaction, and then...

I TOOK THE DAY OFF. I didn't go to my afternoon class. I played video games, watched the McCarthy/Thompson press conference. I watched Favre Forever. Then I went to Gabe's By the Park--the local Packer bar (I'm in St. Paul). There were people there with Favre jerseys--some morose, buried in their beer glasses and others laughing it up as they recounted memories. I ordered a few beers, bringing my evening total up to 10.

Then I went home and unwrapped the Favre Fathead that I got for Christmas (I was too lazy to put it up yet; as you can tell, I'm lazy). It was a nice little ritual, actually. My roommates and I put up this giant life-size Favre cutout in my living room. Then I crawled into bed with my girlfriend--we just sleep; no funny business. Before she fell asleep I grabbed my computer and showed her the legend's tribute to Favre--the video with Lance Armstrong, Roger Staubach, Jack Nicklaus, George Foreman, Cal Ripken, Jr., Jon McEnroe, and Muhammad Ali. She'd never seen it. Then I turned off the lives and dozed off into a nice, pleasant drunken sleep.

FAVRE FOREVER.

wpr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was at work. Ryan sent me an email. (What? He sent it to others as well?)
I was a bit surprised as I thought he would be hungry to get back to the Super Bowl just one more time since he came soooo close last season.
But then like Heathie I thought it would be good for him to be able to spend more time with his family. Now after he does for a while they may beg him to go fishing or something for a couple of weeks.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I drove home for lunch and switched on Kevin Cowherd's show, and he was talking about Favre in the past tense. At first I wasn't sure if it really meant he had retired, but after a couple minutes I figured that must have been what happened.

I wasn't too surprised because he had been taking a long time to make his decision. Even though he played great last season, I thought that, at his age, he was sort of living on borrowed time, and it's time to see what Rodgers can do.

As the day went on and I read more about Favre, I felt sad, though. Every one of us Packer fans just got older.

Members online

Latest posts