Ex-Packer Mark Chmura - Finley's Career is "Over"

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Green Bay Packers tight end Jermichael Finley will undergo spinal fusion surgery, his agent announced Wednesday.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9

We had a thread already

When you put your title in for the new thread and you go into the box to type your message ....Automatically a LIKE or SIMILAR thread link will pop up.

Look at the examples I just did

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Merged the two threads

Last edited:
H

HardRightEdge

Chmura's career ended as a result of herniated C5 and C6 disks. Finley suffers from herniated C3 and C4 disks.

Regardless of what you think of Chmura's personal life, he was speaking from some experience with the injury and playing the position.

Nonethless, each instance has to be taken individually. Peyton Manning had a spinal fusion and is doing pretty well, I think. However, a comeback is more problematic for a guy who isn't a QB where the risks go up with the frequency of high impact hits.

In any case, now that he's going under the knife as it were, I think it's a fair assumption we will not be signing him before or during the FA signing period; he'll only be back if everybody else takes a pass.

Last edited by a moderator:

Packerlifer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Chmura's prognosis has nothing to do with it but I think Finley will get medical advice not to play football again. Even if he does, it probably won't be in 2014 and in any case not with Green Bay. The Packers will and should put their money toward other players. Finley has never been consistent or durable enough to fulfill expectations for him and the team's need of him.

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We had a thread already

When you put your title in for the new thread and you go into the box to type your message automatically LIKE or SIMILAR thread links will pop up.

Look at the examples I just did

Merged the two threads

Thanks! I realized after I posted, I screwed up. Sorry!

98Redbird

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Okay, I'll be THAT guy.... I hope Chewy's right. And I'd almost bet my house too that he's done as a Packer.

From a business side, I did't want to pay him next year anyways.

From a person that understand's that football is REALLY insignificant in the broad scheme of things, I really hope that he hang's them up. Maybe I'm off kilter, but if I had a son that walked up to me and begged me not to play again, and then this... I dunno man, I'd really need to think twice. Likewise, if I had a father that had gone thru what JMike did this season, I'd BEG him not to do it anymore. Family always comes first IMHO. Be happy that you are going to be okay, enjoy your family. Your agent said that financially you have done well, managed it well. Unless he's lying, then I can't see the reason to put your family through it. And risk what you're risking.

But that's just me. I get the love of the game, the passion, the addiction. But when the ppl around you, that care for you, are begging you not to, maybe you should listen. The Packers did it with Collins. He wanted to play, the addicted side of him. Kudos to the Packers for looking out for HIS best interests when he wasn't able to...

Same applies here

DOCTORAPK

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Football or no.....I ABSOLUTELY WISH HIM NO MORE HARM. Whatever happens...I hope things work out well for him.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Since this is the current Finley thread I thought I would post this here and hopefully I'll get a response.

Finley got a fine for a hit on a player that I don't think ended that player's season. He was going to appeal it, which I agree with.
Have there been any updates on that situation? I'm not sure if he had time to appeal before the Browns game and since then.
And what about the player who hit Finley? I don't think he was fined. Probably because Finley lowered his head to protect his knees so that he wouldn't go out the way Cobb did.
And that bothers me. That Finley got it worse on trying to do the right thing.
Everything just seems so unfair for him and right when he was starting to get better.
Seems like a lose-lose situation. I guess if one doesn't want to get injured, then don't play football.
This is the only sport where men hit each other hard like this week after week, punishing their bodies beyond what the body can take.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Since this is the current Finley thread I thought I would post this here and hopefully I'll get a response.

Finley got a fine for a hit on a player that I don't think ended that player's season. He was going to appeal it, which I agree with.
Have there been any updates on that situation? I'm not sure if he had time to appeal before the Browns game and since then.
And what about the player who hit Finley? I don't think he was fined. Probably because Finley lowered his head to protect his knees so that he wouldn't go out the way Cobb did.
And that bothers me. That Finley got it worse on trying to do the right thing.
Everything just seems so unfair for him and right when he was starting to get better.
Seems like a lose-lose situation. I guess if one doesn't want to get injured, then don't play football.
This is the only sport where men hit each other hard like this week after week, punishing their bodies beyond what the body can take.

No one thought the guy that tackled Finley should have been fined as it was a clean hit to them.
http://www.foxsportswisconsin.com/n...ine-Tashaun-Gipson-for-hit-on-?blockID=954597

Throughout this week, several Packers coaches mentioned how they had no issue with Gipson's hit on Finley.

"I didn't think it was a dirty play," coach Mike McCarthy said. "I thought it was two guys playing football, or three guys that were involved in the collision."

Added tight ends coach Jerry Fontenot: "I thought it was clean.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Yeah, truthfully, I didn't think it was a dirty hit myself. I thought it was more like the hit that took out Nick Collins ( http://www.nfl.com/videos/green-bay-packers/09000d5d82257183/Collins-suffers-neck-injury } -- I mean, it was such an incidental kind of thing that when watching, you'd never for a minute think that could end a career. Anyway, while I was looking for video footage of that Collins' injury, I found this story from the Milwaukee Journal. Anything sound familiar?

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/pack...l-after-fusion-surgery-mo4u26m-146925665.html

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts