Everson Griffin - USC

Sunshine885500

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It is looking more and more like he would be a steal at the end of the 1st Round:

Everson Griffen-DL- Player Mar. 31 - 3:51 pm et

USC DE Everson Griffen ran a 4.6-flat forty-yard dash at the Trojans' Pro Day on Wednesday.
The time is sensational for a 6'4/273-pound defensive lineman. Griffin doesn't quite have the production to match his eye-popping measurables, but he's seemingly solidified a spot in the first round with a sterling offseason

He projects as an OLB in a 3-4 Defense

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It is looking more and more like he would be a steal at the end of the 1st Round:

Everson Griffen-DL- Player Mar. 31 - 3:51 pm et

USC DE Everson Griffen ran a 4.6-flat forty-yard dash at the Trojans' Pro Day on Wednesday.
The time is sensational for a 6'4/273-pound defensive lineman. Griffin doesn't quite have the production to match his eye-popping measurables, but he's seemingly solidified a spot in the first round with a sterling offseason

He projects as an OLB in a 3-4 Defense
I don't see the production matching his athleticism, like you said. He's just too inconsistant, almost to the point of lazyness... I see Michael Johnson, with a little less athleticism, but a little more motor.

I'd rather take Jerry Huges or Brandon Graham over him and Kindle, though. Kindle is also inconsistant, and is strickly a speed rusher. He lacks thoughness, nastyness...

I'd rather have a big motor + proven ability + thoughness + consistancy than lazyness + lack of thoughness + tons of upside + physical freakness.

spack84

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He has the skill set to become a good player, but he left a lot to be desired at USC. About the only 3-4 OLB I feel ok with taken in the 1st round are Graham, Kindle and Hughes, and may be Weatherspood.

Arrigo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There are MAJOR character flaws w/ him. As a USC fan/follower, I will admitt he is talented, but there are MAJOR question marks.

ThinkICare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kindle is the most complete OLB in the whole draft. I'd love it if Kindle was a Packer.

Not too sure about Griffen. Would be a risky pick.

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The problem that I'm seeing if we decide to go OLB in round 1 is that he would have to be an immediate starter. I know Brady P. got the starting job over Matthews at the beginning of the season last year, but Brad Jones doesn't deserve to get replaced just as badly as Brady P. did. In fact is it so bad to people for a 7th round draft pick to start if he's playing really well? Instead I like the idea of getting someone who can challenge Jones not overtake him. And we can certainly do this by drafting other good OLB prospects in the later rounds.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The problem that I'm seeing if we decide to go OLB in round 1 is that he would have to be an immediate starter. I know Brady P. got the starting job over Matthews at the beginning of the season last year, but Brad Jones doesn't deserve to get replaced just as badly as Brady P. did. In fact is it so bad to people for a 7th round draft pick to start if he's playing really well? Instead I like the idea of getting someone who can challenge Jones not overtake him. And we can certainly do this by drafting other good OLB prospects in the later rounds.
Completely agree.

I think people are overlooking Jones. With a year under his belt, and hitting the weight room, he's gonna improve.

But if someone really talented falls to us, I wouldn't mind it. Rotation in the LBs is a great thing. And we don't have anybody besides CM3 and Jones.

Reaction score
They said hes a better Olb prospect then Orakpo last year. And thats who i wanted last year so if hes available this far down i say hell why not. Our pass rush wasn't the best last year a better improvement then the year before but could definitely use improvement.

turbo69

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And we don't have anybody besides CM3 and Jones.
That is exactly why we should take a guy like Hughes in the 1st round. If Hughes ends up starting because he beats out Jones by the end of the preseason..........so be it. Is Jones going to get better? I am sure he will. That doesn't mean you don't try to improve at that position by throwing in some competition. If one of the O-Tackles are there in there first round.......draft him, if not.....and either Hughes, Kindle, or Grahm are there, we better get them. Like I mentioned in another post. Did we sack Favre in those 2 games? There are a few QB's on good teams we couldn't even get close to. You don't settle for second best because IN THE PLAYOFFS......second best is not good enough.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That is exactly why we should take a guy like Hughes in the 1st round. If Hughes ends up starting because he beats out Jones by the end of the preseason..........so be it. Is Jones going to get better? I am sure he will. That doesn't mean you don't try to improve at that position by throwing in some competition. If one of the O-Tackles are there in there first round.......draft him, if not.....and either Hughes, Kindle, or Grahm are there, we better get them. Like I mentioned in another post. Did we sack Favre in those 2 games? There are a few QB's on good teams we couldn't even get close to. You don't settle for second best because IN THE PLAYOFFS......second best is not good enough.
Agree with you on that one. I just think we can get a pass rushing OLB in the later rounds, but I don't think we can get a LT later than the first round (maybe early second if we trade down and Brown is still there).

My dream scenario would be if we were able to somehow land Brown AND Huges. Then just a CB or a S (the two, better, but I'm not picky), and we're set.

turbo69

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My dream scenario would be if we were able to somehow land Brown AND Huges. Then just a CB or a S (the two, better, but I'm not picky), and we're set.

Don't know how we could pull that one off..........but I'd love it if we did.

Members online

Latest posts