Evan Dietrich-Smith

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Offensive lineman Evan Dietrich-Smith has lived in anonymity all season, but after taking four snaps as a tight end against Jacksonville, his role has become a big topic of discussion this week.
Dietrich-Smith helped create some room on an otherwise dismal running day for the Packers and he's hoping that his presence is more of a trend than a fad.
"When I get in there I want to make sure they have confidence in me," Dietrich-Smith said. "So by me ******** up a play lowers their confidence, so I've got to do as well as I can.
"And I have a lot of fun doing it. It keeps you in the game. A lot of guys on offense get a kick out of doing it. I hope we keep doing it."
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/pack...uld-help-heal-injuries-ii7e8s9-176703751.html

I did notice EDS in the game a few times on Sunday. At first I had to remember who #61 was on the roster. I like the idea of using a EDS to improve the running game. Our tightends haven't contributed much to the passing game so why not put a pure blocker in there? Besides, I'm sure that MM is setting up some poor saps (Vikings) for a rare passing play to EDS in a critical situation.

Thoughts?

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
This is from McGinn's review/analysis of the Jaguars game:
The most physical blockers were Josh Sitton and Evan Dietrich-Smith, who played two snaps in the backfield and two at TE. … Dietrich-Smith caved in Selvie on a successful third-and-1 and came across to trap NT C.J. Mosley on an 8-yard burst. Given Dietrich-Smith's youth and robust nature, it would be surprising if the coaches weren't at least talking about giving him at least some of Saturday's snaps.
I know some here aren't fans of EDS but I thought he did pretty well replacing Sitton last year. He'd have to be better than Saturday at OC in the run game but I'm not advocating for him to take over at OC.

slaughter25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would love to see a physical presence in the running game. Maybe it would rub off on some of the other guys.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would not be surprised if EDS gets playing time at center by the end of the year. The potential problems I see with him vs. Saturday is how opposite they are. Saturday is the heady pass protector who makes the line calls. EDS, well, EDS SMASH.

We could probably use some of that--I think Saturday more than any other reason is hurting the run game, but we need to make sure we can live with the potential drop offs in calls and pass protection.

And we haven't talked about breaking up continuity on the line, which is a risk in and off itself.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would love to see a physical presence in the running game. Maybe it would rub off on some of the other guys.

I would like to see more of a physical presence at a number of positions. For instance who on defense emulates Matthews? I'm just not sure things like that rub off.

Chicocheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe it is just me, but I think taking Saturday away from the Center position is a crazy idea. I am not saying that EDS is incapable of playing the position but Saturday's knowledge and experience is incredibly valuable.

EDS at FB, TE, or even in at the Full House formation would be killer! That kind of lead blocking can really open up a hole for Alex Green to burst through, or Starks.

I remember EDS doing a good job last year filling in for the various injured linemen we had. Maybe make a multi-position blocker?

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I also thought Dietrich-Smith did well last year, and I thought he would be the center this season. The o line is a weak point and the "experts" seem to think Saturday is the weakest link. I'd like to see him prove he can't do the job by playing him.

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe it is just me, but I think taking Saturday away from the Center position is a crazy idea. I am not saying that EDS is incapable of playing the position but Saturday's knowledge and experience is incredibly valuable.

EDS at FB, TE, or even in at the Full House formation would be killer! That kind of lead blocking can really open up a hole for Alex Green to burst through, or Starks.

I remember EDS doing a good job last year filling in for the various injured linemen we had. Maybe make a multi-position blocker?

I think that in the near future it may not work out, but I like EDS's style. If we can get Saturday to depart some pass blocking on EDS, I think that would be an explosive mix that we need at Center. This would be ideal IMO because We could run to the right and off center. It would create the smash mouth football we need to run in our division.

Grave

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would like to see more of a physical presence at a number of positions. For instance who on defense emulates Matthews? I'm just not sure things like that rub off.

Walden's a hitter. So is Brad Jones. We have a number of DBs who hit now.

Grave

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I also thought Dietrich-Smith did well last year, and I thought he would be the center this season. The o line is a weak point and the "experts" seem to think Saturday is the weakest link. I'd like to see him prove he can't do the job by playing him.

Absolutely JB!

12theTruth

It'd be nice if the Pack can get a blow out lead one of these weeks. If and when this happens please rotate EDS in at C with the other starters. We really need to have a better package for short yardage situations. The hope is that unless Saturday can step it up in the run game he gets subbed out in 3rd down in short situations on the goal line to start out with. This is not ideal but what other options do they have outside of status quo? Status quo isn't and probably won't cut it as we move along.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
I too like EDS over Jeff saturday. EDS did well when he played center, we should have never aquired saturday, saved that money for other needs instead of an aging, under sized veteran. Saturday is only 6'2" and 290lbs, and has short stubby arms.......that is not a good combo when playing against most NFL NT's.

Saturday has been getting EAT'N up in pass protection and can't run block well IMO. Not to mention saturday calls out a defensive protection change and then TJ Lang over turns it and calls a different change. The communication level sucks out there.

Members online

Latest posts