Evaluation of day one of the draft

hoos

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just curious what you think. I don't really have too much a problem with the players, but I can't help but wonder if we couldn't have had them in different spots and picked up more picks to turn into Moss/LJ/Turner

Cory

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Definitely felt like we reached a bit, but I like the upside of guys like Harrell and Jackson. I have no effin clue about Jones and Rouse seems like a good pick as well. Big, fast safety that can tackle.

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i thought brandon jackson was a reach at the time but if what is written about him is true he could fit well with our offense

i remember blowing up when we drafted nick collins because he was rated as a 5th round prospect...but that worked out...harrell was a mid 20's/30's guy...i think we could've gotten better value AND addressed a need with greg olsen or reggie nelson

but at the same time this could be a smart move by ted, we get a big body up front next to pickett right after the vikings tremendously upgrade their running game with adrian petersen...it's not what i would've done but we'll see...i like the other three picks to ease the pain...

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Overall, I gotta say that I'm pleased with this draft so far. I like the guys who fit our scemes, and am glad that they were taken in later picks.

I'll admit, I was annoyed 4 times today when the picks were announced, and the big names I was looking for were bypassed, but I think that these guys all have potential to be good producers.

I'm gonna like this next season. And the one after that. And after that, and after that, and after tha........

cyoung

Cheesehead
Reaction score
At first I was a little dissappointed with the draft but it just might work out pretty good, we started well lets hope they finish well.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
see i find it hard to dislike a pick based soley on where he went. i understand that the scouts on media sites grading these guys arent very far off usually.

But wait till camp before you judge them completly. You gotta expect that TT has researched these picks when he "reaches". so when he goes and gets a guy that ESPN has ranked lower than our pick... it tells me hes going out to get the guys that he wants on the team. Taking the Packers best player available. It actually seems like he knows just what the **** hes doin out there. not just pickin according to Count Kipers ideas.

Kiper, ESPN, FOXsports, etc dont know the Packers like our GM does. So when he gets a player that they dont rank as high.... It doesnt neccessarily mean hes wrong.

Weve built a solid defense since Teds been here, and we added to it today. we are young, talented and seemingly on the rise, at some point you gotta think he might know what hes doing.

Danreb

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1st Round: D
In the first round, I don't care what position you're in--it's either you get immediate help, or you flat out not pick. Instead, Thompson reached for a player who probably might've ended in his lap at pick 47. It would've been better to grab Greg Olsen, or just trade down.

2nd Round: C
Anytime you end up with more picks, you're fine. Brandon Jackson looks like a solid 2nd round prospect, and it looks to me that Thompson is looking to have a 2-3-headed backfield in Green Bay. Whether it's Jackson + Morency, or Jackson + Herron, or any of the RB's (we still have Arliss Beach)... the future looks bright. However, it must've sucked to see WR Dwayne Jarrett get chosen two picks before.

3rd Round: C
James Jones was a flatout waste of time. He's not that fast, and he's not even particularly special returning kicks. I applaud Thompson for picking a player who played under my high school coach and my upcoming college--but come on. Brainless decision.

Rouse, on the other hand, was a great pick. He's bigger and faster than both Reggie Nelson and Meriweather with a lot of upside.

--

I'd like to see Moss tomorrow.

Arles

Cheesehead
Reaction score
On the Harrell pick, Scouts.com, ESPNs Kiper and ESPN's McShay all had Harrell gone by 23 to KC. And, after him, there were only two more DTs taken until pick 81 (the next was the headcase Branch taken in round 2). DT was one of the more shallow spots in the draft and if you wanted an impact guy - your options were Okoye (went 10th), Harrell or a major underperformer/headcase in Branch (who was passed on by "need DT" teams like KC and NO later). I guarantee Harrell would have been long gone by 19, 21, 23 or 27. KC and NO (23 and 27) had huge needs at DT and would have grabbed him in a heartbeat. Saying that he would have been available at 47 is crazy.

cheesyscot

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree that the picks don't seem bad but my god they could have moved back and gotten both of these guys later in the rounds they were taken.

Members online

Latest posts