ESPN POLL - Which team is America's team?

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers are MY team and that's all that matters.

But they are the most likeable, most popular, most illustrious, most condecorated football franchise in america, there's no denying that...

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not a bit fan of the whole "America's team" thing either but I voted for my Pack in all things except for most hated! That honor went to the Cowboys!

cheesehurdler

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I voted for all of them (with the Cowboys being the most hated team for me), except the America's Team question. If there is a "None of them" option, I would've voted for it.

Why? Well, because the Green Bay Packers are known just as the Green Bay Packers. They won titles, played hard football, and developed a winning tradition simply under the title of the Packers. Lambeau, Hutson, Lombardi, Starr, and Favre played for the Packers, not "America's Team". They can be referred to as "America's Team" by the fans and the fact that the Packers are publicly owned, but the Packers can easily make it an official title. But they didn't.

The reason is because they don't need to. The Packers already has an illustrious history, an extremely loyal fanbase, a winning tradition, and 13 world championships. They made an identity with themselves with these accomplishments. These traits attracted not only fans of football in America, but the entire world, so the title "America's Team" would not even begin to cover the reaches of Packer Nation.

Plus, I think the title's a bit pretentious.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
I think your assessment is spot on. If anything the Packers are the "World's Team" due to their international appeal.
Besides, Packer fans don't care what anybody else in America thinks, they're "Our Team"

LAG

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Press gave Dallas that name back in 1978. That has been a bad taste in my mouth ever since, whenever I hear it. This is why I am not against calling the Pack - "America's Team." They deserve it based on merit, fan support and years in the league, imo. But yeah, the Pack really is the worlds team if one wants to get technical because of the widespread fan support.

One thing is for sure, they are my team, always have been, always will be!

GO PACK GO

GBPack2010

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Every fanbase might not "like" us but as a true football fan, they all respect us. That's all I care about.

BearDroppings

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hahaha I was out with my Cubs-Bears fan girlfriend this weekend at an O's/Rangers game. Somehow when I rocked my Brew Crew hat, and Acme Pack shirt I got tons of love. My girlfriend tended NOT to think highly of that hahaha. She still can't believe we won.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
The "America's Team" schtick is nothing more than a marketing thing. Much like the term "Super Bowl" where expansion teams' fans try to pump up their teams' value by saying stupid things like, "Yeah? Well, we've won 5 SUPER BOWLS...your guys have won 4"... and choose to ignore the 9 won before their team even existed. Again, someone adopted a new name for the NFL Championship and these clowns aren't smart enough to recognize that it's the same damned thing. Frankly, I don't care about Marketing schticks and don't fall for them, but you have to give the Cowbags' management in the 70's a ton of credit for propagating that crap and running with the ball on it.

I'm with the guy who prefers "Titletown".

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Oh...and ESPN needs to hire a whole new group of mindless and brain-dead losers to come up with some new tangental polls ... have to tell ya... they just keep vomiting up the old tired junk.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts