ESPN: A prayer for Donald Driver answered

LombardiChick

Win or lose, I love this team.
Reaction score
Searched - didn't see this (mods please delete if I've screwed up):

A prayer for Donald Driver answered

It is there, in Driver's hometown of Houston, where you will hear the stories about a kid nicknamed Quickie, who spent part of his childhood homeless and sold drugs to help put food on the table. Houston is where you'll learn about a teenager who one day chose a different path, vowing to his brother that he would "make it." It's where you'll learn about a man who has dedicated the rest of his life being a role model on and off the field.

Just 265 miles separate the Houston home where Driver spent his high school years and Cowboys Stadium, where the wide receiver will run onto the field for Super Bowl XLV next Sunday. But it might have been easier had Driver tried to walk to the moon. That's how unlikely a trip it was. And yet here he stands, prayers answered.

Thus, it shouldn't be a surprise that when the words "Super Bowl" and "Donald Driver" are mentioned in the same sentence around here, tears start to fall.

"If good things are supposed to happen to good people, then great things are supposed to happen to Quickie," said Jim Duffer, one of Driver's high school basketball coaches. "Nobody deserves any of this more than he does."

OP
OP
LombardiChick

LombardiChick

Reaction score
Spoiler alert - the ending:

Cristian and Christina are excited, too. Their enthusiasm has even spread to the prayers, where one night this week, Cristian interrupted his little sister when he heard her again ask God to help Daddy make the Super Bowl.

Recalled Betina: "He told her, 'Daddy's already in the Super Bowl. We don't have to pray for that anymore. Now we need to pray for a win.'"

OP
OP
LombardiChick

LombardiChick

Reaction score
GO, QUICKIE, GO!! I wonder if there is a Quickie shirt on the market.

I would so love to see this man's dream totally fulfilled - that would be amazing.

OP
OP
LombardiChick

LombardiChick

Reaction score
I'm reading the thread over there and I'm just amazed at the people who say negative things. What's pretty cool is that I've seen several say they either didn't know who to root for, or were rooting for the Packers just casually, who now say they absolutely KNOW who they want to win it. Really cool. One described himself as a "die-hard Cowboys fan".

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
On a side note. Anybody notice how many haters posted in the comments!!! I lost a bit of faith in humanity after seeing that.

OP
OP
LombardiChick

LombardiChick

Reaction score
On a side note. Anybody notice how many haters posted in the comments!!! I lost a bit of faith in humanity after seeing that.

I noticed. That's ESPN for you.

This piece (and the ugly reaction of some to it) is one of the reasons that I really, really hope we win this game. I'm prepared not to win it, because that's always possible - but I'm just so hopeful that we do.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Donald Driver is just a class act. How you can root against a guy like that is beyond me, yet haters are always gonna find a reason to hate I guess.

BTW, I dunno if anyone saw this, but DD is raffling off an expenses paid trip to the Super Bowl this week:

Donald Driver's Big Game in Dallas Raffle

All profits go to charity.

IluvGB

I <3 Packers!!!!
Reaction score

As far as those haters, I pretty much envision them as disgruntled teenagers that were sent to their rooms,.. that couldn't go out for the night,.. taking their vengeance out on any feel good article.:punch:

As for Donald and his entire family.... I feel like its going to happen for them... for US!!!!

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
Its why I joined this forum rather than go on ESPN and NFL boards, haters gotta hate. DD doesn't desrve it. The man is missing a ring though, Packers please complete him.

Members online

Latest posts