erm not sure what to title this

jaybadger82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well he is from the UK. One of the "newer" fans I would guess. BTW, if you look it up, you get so much on Favre it's hard to sift through it all. Most of the fans feelings are on boards like this, so I understand why he's asking here.

This underscores my point. There are plenty of relatively recent threads on this subject that the original poster can access and digest.

We seem to have one of these ugly Favre discussions every 3-4 months and I detest them. So while my response may seem rude, raising the subject once again struck me as either very lazy or trollish.

(Sorry, scotscheese- you seem to have a pretty good handle on it.)

PackerFlatLander

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This underscores my point. There are plenty of relatively recent threads on this subject that the original poster can access and digest.

We seem to have one of these ugly Favre discussions every 3-4 months and I detest them. So while my response may seem rude, raising the subject once again struck me as either very lazy or trollish.

Well ... how about another point, such as ... WHO CARES??? So what, if it gets brought up again from time to time? My observation, is that the only people who have a problem with it, are the ones who took Favre's side on the damn thing, and then, while "happy" that the Packers won a Super Bowl, they were "conflicted" by it, lol. I for one, sure as hell wasn't. XLV absolutely had to happen for a host of reasons, none of which I think I need to elaborate on, any further.

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
being over here in the UK, the actual news side of things often bypasses me completely

so in the spirit of finding out what happened, can i maybe ask in here what has happened in a few situations to have caused bad blood between a couple of former players and some other things i may think of

if so first up, Brett Favre

all i know is, he retired, came back and played for the vikings, but i get that there is a bit more than this to it
LOADED POST.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

Well he is from the UK. One of the "newer" fans I would guess. BTW, if you look it up, you get so much on Favre it's hard to sift through it all. Most of the fans feelings are on boards like this, so I understand why he's asking here.
Just checking here, do us NEWER fans have valid opinions or right to ask question ? No conflict, just a question :)

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score

That's not even to mention the rumors that come up from time to time that he's yet again coming out of retirement. There should be a sub-forum on here for Favre discussions but I fear that would only encourage such things.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just checking here, do us NEWER fans have valid opinions or right to ask question ? No conflict, just a question :)

New fans, old fans, fans since the beginning of time all have valid opinions. They are after all merely our opinions. As well as the right to ask questions, just be prepared on here ask and you shall receive no interceptions.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think if you typed "Favre" into the search engine here, it would bring up every thread since his name gets dragged into about every discussion.

One more jab that continues to Raptorman's ooozing scab is when Favre called up the Detroit Lions coaches to "shoot the breeze" prior to our game against the Lions. It's an allegation that was never proven but it contributes to the animosity some folks feel.

Personally, I can't and won't overlook all of the good times and emotional highs that Favre brought to a weary fan base for almost two decades. His handling of retirements/un-retirements and everything involved gets lumped into my memories of his failings, such as the pain killer addiction, the drinking, the skirt-chasing, and everything else that falls into the negative category. He was all about emotional highs and devastating lows, both on and off the field. Those kind of people are fun to watch from a distance but dangerous to get emotionally attached to yourself.

IluvGB

I <3 Packers!!!!
Reaction score
That's not even to mention the rumors that come up from time to time that he's yet again coming out of retirement. There should be a sub-forum on here for Favre discussions but I fear that would only encourage such things.
I asked @robdog once if we could make Favre's name come up like its a bad word.. like this..
"What do you guys think of ***** now?" He just lol'd, but in my eyes, thats how I try to look at anything concering *****! :sneaky:

Ceodore

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It was my impression that the whole issued stemmed from making a decision on Rodgers. The time had come during that offseason where the Pack needed to commit to AR otherwise he was going to go elsewhere. Brett had "retired" (was that for the second or 3rd time at that point?) so the Pack's decision was made for them in going with Rodgers. Then of course Brett wanted to play again but I think the organization was a little tired of being given the back and forth at that point. I think Brett took that a little personally.

I personally didn't have a problem with him playing for the Jets or even the Vikings, they had a pretty decent team at the time and Brett probably saw that as an opportunity for a super bowl run. I liked what I saw of AR and had grown tired of all the INT's from BF.

I think the Pack made the right decision in letting him go. It wasn't fair to AR to be promised the reigns of the team only to shove him aside because Brett wanted to unretire again. Especially what we know now of AR's mentality and chip on his shoulder, I think he'd be gone if they had brought BF back that year.

jjmcjj

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It was my impression that the whole issued stemmed from making a decision on Rodgers. The time had come during that offseason where the Pack needed to commit to AR otherwise he was going to go elsewhere. Brett had "retired" (was that for the second or 3rd time at that point?) so the Pack's decision was made for them in going with Rodgers. Then of course Brett wanted to play again but I think the organization was a little tired of being given the back and forth at that point. I think Brett took that a little personally.

I personally didn't have a problem with him playing for the Jets or even the Vikings, they had a pretty decent team at the time and Brett probably saw that as an opportunity for a super bowl run. I liked what I saw of AR and had grown tired of all the INT's from BF.

I think the Pack made the right decision in letting him go. It wasn't fair to AR to be promised the reigns of the team only to shove him aside because Brett wanted to unretire again. Especially what we know now of AR's mentality and chip on his shoulder, I think he'd be gone if they had brought BF back that year.

Holy Smokes!! Happy that scenario never happened...

12theTruth

Here's my take :)

Brett Favre had a very strong arm, probably the strongest in the league for many of the years he was the Packers starting QB. He is a living legend and will be a prominent figure in the NFL history books. His dad Irv Favre was Brett's coach in high school helping to carve out Brett's tough as nails embodiment so much to the point where Brett Favre's consecutive game starting streak will likely never be broken and will stand as one of the greatest sports achievements of our lifetime.

Few players in the history of sports elicited the type of sheer joy Brett Favre brought to his teammates and to football fans alike. Mike Holmgren the head coach of the Green Bay Packers upon Brett Favre's first arrival was a first rate QB teacher and helped harness Favre's unrefined tendencies and instilled a great knowledge of the West Coast Offense to the point where Brett Favre became a 3 time NFL Most Valuable Player and also helped lead the Packers to a Super Bowl victory in 1997.

When Mike Holmgren left Green Bay for greener pastures, Brett Favre slowly devolved from the great QB that once was to a more undisciplined gunslinger who now didn't have anyone to keep him in check.

By the time Mike Sherman arrived, Brett's ego was becoming greater than his play on the field at QB. When leaving the Packers and playing with the Jets Brett Favre even had his own personal locker room. Talk about ego.

With Sherman running the show Favre was at his most undisciplined ever and he was pretty much his own defacto coach. After Sherman was replaced with Mike McCarthy, in a couple years time the Packers and especially Favre had a resurgence on the stat sheet and in the victory column.

All of a sudden discipline and accountability were re-introduced to the team along with better talent as supplied by Ted Thompson. Instead of enjoying the teams successes, Favre chose to look over his shoulder and become paranoid at the developing Aaron Rodgers. At this point in his career Brett Favre had hemmed and hawed about possible retirement going back to the 04 season. The Packers wanted a commitment from Favre that he couldn't provide at the time and Favre officially announced his retirement.

Brett Favre changed his mind but the Packers had already committed to Aaron Rodgers as their QB of the future. Favre forced the Packers hand into trading him and eventually went on to a rival the Vikings (after a stop with the New York Jets most notable for his texting scandal) and had one of the best seasons of his career only to lose to the New Orleans Saints in the 'bounty gate' game.

Instead of Favre going to the Super Bowl in hopes of claiming an all important stick it to Ted Thompson moment and a blow to Packer fans everywhere by winning one with the Vikings, Favre went on to have a disastrous final season with the Vikings the next year.

As a life long Packer fan I can forgive many things but the following sentiment still really pi$$ me off to this day.
Rooting for the Bears to defeat the Packers

In my opinion enough credit cannot be given to Ted Thompson for wrestling control of this franchise back from the ego of Brett Favre. He sure took a tremendous amount of heat from Packer fans including many that praise him today. It wasn't until the Super Bowl victory that he was able to get that proverbial monkey off his back.

GO PACKERS Where the franchise will ALWAYS be greater than one person

Last edited by a moderator:

jaybadger82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well ... how about another point, such as ... WHO CARES??? So what, if it gets brought up again from time to time? My observation, is that the only people who have a problem with it, are the ones who took Favre's side on the damn thing, and then, while "happy" that the Packers won a Super Bowl, they were "conflicted" by it, lol. I for one, sure as hell wasn't. XLV absolutely had to happen for a host of reasons, none of which I think I need to elaborate on, any further.

Well, back at you, who cares if I voice my exasperation with the subject?

IMO, your observation is crap. I've never sided against the organization but I think the continuing vitriol toward Favre makes some Packer fans look small. I'm not interested in having this conversation with you again. Help yourself to the last word so you can misconstrue those that don't mirror your attitudes/opinions on the matter.

Personally, I like it, and am greatly amused when the Favre ball-lickers get annoyed. But, that's just me. I took Ted's side from day one and will never, ever waver. I'd rather discuss Lynn ****ey or Don Majkowski.

Stay classy, FlatLander. This kind of baiting exemplifies my annoyance with this topic. Brings out the worst in some people. Guess that's what ignore is for.

-Favre "ball-licker" out. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

PackerFlatLander

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When Mike Holmgren left Green Bay for greener pastures, Brett Favre slowly devolved from the great QB that once was to a more undisciplined gunslinger who now didn't have anyone to keep him in check.

By the time Mike Sherman arrived, Brett's ego was becoming greater than his play on the field at QB. When leaving the Packers and playing with the Jets Brett Favre even had his own personal locker room. Talk about ego.

With Sherman running the show Favre was at his most undisciplined ever and he was pretty much his own defacto coach. After Sherman was replaced with Mike McCarthy, in a couple years time the Packers and especially Favre had a resurgence on the stat sheet and in the victory column.

GO PACK!!

Excellent stuff there and I agree with you on all of it. There are two areas or factors in which I will defend Favre. The first is your point there, about Holmgren leaving. That wasn't Favre's fault and although he threw a lot of picks even with Holmgren as his coach (1993) - you're right - the discipline dropped sharply after he left. Sherman basically worshipped Favre and had his own head shoved so far up Favre's **** the whole time, that even when Favre threw careless sandbags in the air, it was no big deal, shoulders shrugged, on Sherman's part.

The second thing I'll defend Favre on ... let's be honest here - every year, all the "will he or won't he" retire stuff - that was ALL on the media. They cooked all that stuff up - not Favre. I've always believed that. The media blew that up, every chance they got, just to be the ones to create a story. That wasn't Favre's fault, either.

There have never been two bigger egos in Green Bay, than those of Holmgren and Favre. The way Holmgren left town, without even having a goodbye press conference - is still a thorn in my craw. No thank you to Wolf for giving him his first HC job. No thank you to the city for naming a street after him, etc. Nothing. Just him sitting there next to Paul Allen with a Seahawks helmet on the table. Dude's head got WAY too big after winning one Super Bowl. I don't see any of that from Mike McCarthy. McCarthy knows he's just a coach and not a GM. I wouldn't have it any other way.

PackerFlatLander

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, back at you, who cares if I voice my exasperation with the subject?

IMO, you observation is crap. I've never sided against the organization but I think the continuing vitriol toward Favre makes some Packer fans look small. I'm not interested in having this conversation with you again. Help yourself to the last word so you can misconstrue those that don't mirror your attitudes/opinions on the matter.

Stay classy, FlatLander. This kind of baiting exemplifies my annoyance with this topic. Brings out the worst in some people. Guess that's what ignore is for.

-Favre "ball-licker" out. :rolleyes:

Oh well. YOU are the one resorting to personal attacks, not me. Suit yourself.

12theTruth

Excellent stuff there and I agree with you on all of it. There are two areas or factors in which I will defend Favre. The first is your point there, about Holmgren leaving. That wasn't Favre's fault and although he threw a lot of picks even with Holmgren as his coach (1993) - you're right - the discipline dropped sharply after he left. Sherman basically worshipped Favre and had his own head shoved so far up Favre's **** the whole time, that even when Favre threw careless sandbags in the air, it was no big deal, shoulders shrugged, on Sherman's part.

The second thing I'll defend Favre on ... let's be honest here - every year, all the "will he or won't he" retire stuff - that was ALL on the media. They cooked all that stuff up - not Favre. I've always believed that. The media blew that up, every chance they got, just to be the ones to create a story. That wasn't Favre's fault, either.

There have never been two bigger egos in Green Bay, than those of Holmgren and Favre. The way Holmgren left town, without even having a goodbye press conference - is still a thorn in my craw. No thank you to Wolf for giving him his first HC job. No thank you to the city for naming a street after him, etc. Nothing. Just him sitting there next to Paul Allen with a Seahawks helmet on the table. Dude's head got WAY too big after winning one Super Bowl. I don't see any of that from Mike McCarthy. McCarthy knows he's just a coach and not a GM. I wouldn't have it any other way.

Yeh, an unfortunate byproduct of Brett Favre's candidness was the media types having a field day with his responses. But lets be honest, Brett loved the attention for the most part and kind of brought on some of what he got by being too forthcoming.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
No need to get into a fight on this as everyone is entitled to their opinion on if a thread should made or not..

If you dont want to see talk on Brett, then dont open it

jjmcjj

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Welcome to Packer Forum, my fellow former scout.com member. The more of us that we migrate over here, the better. Everyone except the idiot who runs the place.

Thanks, feels good to be able to discuss football w/o fear of being friggin' banned cuz you disagree with someone.

Bus Cook

You're never alone with a schizophrenic
Reaction score
Wilmette=>Fontana=>Lake Geneva=>Michigan ugh
We all know less than 1% of what happened and fashion our own version of how things unfolded to fit our feelings about BF, the Team, and management. Some delude themselves into thinking that they really know more than they do, but at the end of the day, we are in the midst of a 25+ year run of having the best(arguably) QB in football. Knowing that really makes the particulars meaningless.

Reaction score
being over here in the UK, the actual news side of things often bypasses me completely

so in the spirit of finding out what happened, can i maybe ask in here what has happened in a few situations to have caused bad blood between a couple of former players and some other things i may think of

if so first up, Brett Favre

all i know is, he retired, came back and played for the vikings, but i get that there is a bit more than this to it

Who??

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My stance on this, is this ... once he threw SIX picks in a playoff game, at that point, I knew that the careless sandlot junk was going to be a detriment in the playoffs, from that point forward. Sure, his reckless rocket balls won us a lot of games over the years, yes. But it all came to a head and it was never going to get better.
He is/was this modern eras Joe Namath.
Just one SB win and very charismatic, charming, endorser of products and overrated.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=paolantonio_sal&id=3281535

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts