erm not sure what to title this

scotscheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
being over here in the UK, the actual news side of things often bypasses me completely

so in the spirit of finding out what happened, can i maybe ask in here what has happened in a few situations to have caused bad blood between a couple of former players and some other things i may think of

if so first up, Brett Favre

all i know is, he retired, came back and played for the vikings, but i get that there is a bit more than this to it

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Your best friend will be the internet. Look up Brett Favre and any others on Wikipedia. At least you'll get a good summary of the stories. Then type his name into a search engine and read more articles. Finally search the forums here for more in depth discussions if you want.

As Oshkosh stated, it's a long story and no way to shorten it

H

HardRightEdge

I don't mind writing a few words about it. I happen to feel pretty strongly about the matter.

Brett Favre threatened retirement for several years running. It is unclear whether his urge to leave the game was legitimate or he just didn't like off season work and training camp. In the end, not having your leader around to lead reached a breaking point...Favre waited too long to change his mind and come out of retirement...the die was cast to go with Rodgers who, among his several virtues, would actually show up for work.

You can't appreciate the "McCarthy Way", which entails methodical preparation on a detailed schedule, and not take issue, nay, offense, at Favre's playground approach which amounted to just "show up and play".

There's not much more to it than that.

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
I suggest that you don't bother with the Brett Favre saga. At this point in time, it's simply not important.
I give this thread about 17hrs 32 minutes before it turns into a bickerfest.

NO, IT WON'T!!!!!! WHY DO YOU SAY THAT! WE WON'T BICKER OR CALL ANYONE NAMES HERE, YOU LOOSER!

j/k. I thought I would shorten your time estimate down to a minute or two...

(Oh, and I spelled "loser" incorrectly on purpose) :)

Reaction score
I suggest that you don't bother with the Brett Favre saga. At this point in time, it's simply not important.

NO, IT WON'T!!!!!! WHY DO YOU SAY THAT! WE WON'T BICKER OR CALL ANYONE NAMES HERE, YOU LOOSER!

j/k. I thought I would shorten your time estimate down to a minute or two...

(Oh, and I spelled "loser" incorrectly on purpose) :)

I was going to give you a X for Disagree......just for the hell of it and for the sake of "argument!":) Just kidding!

This subject? Peace/Out

North44

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First of all I am female so my perspective may be a bit "different" but I'd like to take a shot at summarizing the Favre thing. I loved him. I was a huge fan. He energized the franchise which had been languishing between mediocrity and true awfulness since I was old enough to know what football was. When he retired amidst much pomp, circumstance, and sentimentality I was sad but accepting. When he unretired and the Packers wisely shipped him off to the Jets I felt like he had cheated on me, lol, but whatever. Out of sight out of mind. When he came back and played for the Vikings I was outraged! Now he was cheating with my best friend!!!! Unacceptable. Yes I am being a bit irrational here. Then the blessed day came when he retired for good. Phew! Now, several years and one Super Bowl courtesy of my new love (a-Rod) later, I like him again. The reason? We have a child together- namely Super Bowl XXXI. I love my child and so simply put, we must get along for the sake of the child. But more than that, I really appreciate what he did and who he is and time has dulled both the pain and the honest sense of betrayal, however illogical, over-emotional, and Mis-placed it may be.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
being over here in the UK, the actual news side of things often bypasses me completely

so in the spirit of finding out what happened, can i maybe ask in here what has happened in a few situations to have caused bad blood between a couple of former players and some other things i may think of

if so first up, Brett Favre

all i know is, he retired, came back and played for the vikings, but i get that there is a bit more than this to it
Well it's simple. Many Packer fans put Brett on a pedestal. And then he retired. Then he wanted to unretired and the Packers had moved on to Rodgers. So Brett wanted to be released. The Packer were afraid of him going to the Vikings, so they traded him to he Jets. Which was a mistake. They could have had MN first round draft pick the next year and few more the following year. (That's my perspective anyway). Then Brett retired after a year on the Jets. And the Jets drafted Sanchez. So they moved on. They still owned the rights to Brett. Brett decided once again he wanted to un-retire and asked for the Jets to release him. And they did. And then he went to the hated Vikings. And from that point on, well, Packer fans have been pissed off ever since. And so many Packer fans had Brett on the pedestal and now they considered him a traitor. And many still do. So it's kind of like an open wound that keeps getting picked on, and the scab comes off and it bleeds a little more. Just never heals.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Well it's simple. Many Packer fans put Brett on a pedestal. And then he retired. Then he wanted to unretired and the Packers had moved on to Rodgers. So Brett wanted to be released. The Packer were afraid of him going to the Vikings, so they traded him to he Jets. Which was a mistake. They could have had MN first round draft pick the next year and few more the following year. (That's my perspective anyway). Then Brett retired after a year on the Jets. And the Jets drafted Sanchez. So they moved on. They still owned the rights to Brett. Brett decided once again he wanted to un-retire and asked for the Jets to release him. And they did. And then he went to the hated Vikings. And from that point on, well, Packer fans have been pissed off ever since. And so many Packer fans had Brett on the pedestal and now they considered him a traitor. And many still do. So it's kind of like an open wound that keeps getting picked on, and the scab comes off and it bleeds a little more. Just never heals.

Brett told media after he retired from the Jets that he was done...Even told the story that his youngest daughter asked was this time for real..He said yes I am done..

Then went to the Viks..

But you forgot the "tampering" with the Vikings while still under contract with the Packers..

League looked into it, but since his "packer" issued phone had no evidence no charges came...But sometimes people have other phones ;)

Or him bashing Ted on a 2 hour news cast..

Or telling Bear players to beat the Packers the next week so the Packers didnt make the playoffs

Or Packers offered a marketing plan for 20 million around the Giants playoff game n 2008..Then in July of 08 told a reporter it was a marketing deal and being wrongly portrayed in media as a bribe..One week later changed his story to it being a bribe

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Brett told media after he retired from the Jets that he was done...Even told the story that his youngest daughter asked was this time for real..He said yes I am done..

Then went to the Viks..

But you forgot the "tampering" with the Vikings while still under contract with the Packers..

League looked into it, but since his "packer" issued phone had no evidence no charges came...But sometimes people have other phones ;)

Or him bashing Ted on a 2 hour news cast..

Or telling Bear players to beat the Packers the next week so the Packers didnt make the playoffs

Or Packers offered a marketing plan for 20 million around the Giants playoff game n 2008..Then in July of 08 told a reporter it was a marketing deal and being wrongly portrayed in media as a bribe..One week later changed his story to it being a bribe
Well, just a point of record. If he had a "Packer" issued cell phone, it would have been a violation of the CBA. Extras are not allowed. Only money.

So, to the thread originator, you can see, this subject still brings up bad feelings years later.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Well, just a point of record. If he had a "Packer" issued cell phone, it would have been a violation of the CBA. Extras are not allowed. Only money.

So, to the thread originator, you can see, this subject still brings up bad feelings years later.

According to the report, the sources said there are no indications the Packers have given team-issued phones to any of their players -- and that doing so would violate NFL salary-cap rules unless the Packers included the cost of the phones on their salary cap.

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
First of all I am female so my perspective may be a bit "different" but I'd like to take a shot at summarizing the Favre thing. I loved him. I was a huge fan. He energized the franchise which had been languishing between mediocrity and true awfulness since I was old enough to know what football was. When he retired amidst much pomp, circumstance, and sentimentality I was sad but accepting. When he unretired and the Packers wisely shipped him off to the Jets I felt like he had cheated on me, lol, but whatever. Out of sight out of mind. When he came back and played for the Vikings I was outraged! Now he was cheating with my best friend!!!! Unacceptable. Yes I am being a bit irrational here. Then the blessed day came when he retired for good. Phew! Now, several years and one Super Bowl courtesy of my new love (a-Rod) later, I like him again. The reason? We have a child together- namely Super Bowl XXXI. I love my child and so simply put, we must get along for the sake of the child. But more than that, I really appreciate what he did and who he is and time has dulled both the pain and the honest sense of betrayal, however illogical, over-emotional, and Mis-placed it may be.

Oh, my goodness! Your perspective sure is...ah... different. My perspective on the matter has nothing to do with cheating, best friends, love, or any personification of a Super Bowl victory into a child that Favre fathered for me.

Yet another example of "Women are from Venus and Men are from Mars"...:)

jaybadger82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Opinions vary. I suspect the fans are more emotional about this drama than the actual participants.

Seriously, the original poster is either a troll or doesn't understand how to use the internet.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Opinions vary. I suspect the fans are more emotional about this drama than the actual participants.

Seriously, the original poster is either a troll or doesn't understand how to use the internet.
Well he is from the UK. One of the "newer" fans I would guess. BTW, if you look it up, you get so much on Favre it's hard to sift through it all. Most of the fans feelings are on boards like this, so I understand why he's asking here.

PackerFlatLander

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My stance on this, is this ... once he threw SIX picks in a playoff game, at that point, I knew that the careless sandlot junk was going to be a detriment in the playoffs, from that point forward. Sure, his reckless rocket balls won us a lot of games over the years, yes. But it all came to a head and it was never going to get better.

In a nutshell ... the guy publicly retires in March. Then, based on his decision to retire, the team names Rodgers the starter. Everything is peaceful and moving along nicely - the OTA's, minicamp, etc. Training camp is going fine and then the SOB decides to jump on a plane and show up with a circus. Hell no. I was beyond livid and simply put, he's been on my poop list ever since. Playing for the Jets and Vikings - that was a small side issue, as far as I was concerned. I could care less who he played for. What mattered was - he put the team in a horrible position and it was ridiculous. That mother****** owes Thompson an apology for biting the hand that fed him, he owes McCarthy an apology for disrupting his training camp, and he owes Rodgers an apology for being a runt d*ck to him, for no reason whatsoever. That's my take on all that.

North44

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh, my goodness! Your perspective sure is...ah... different. My perspective on the matter has nothing to do with cheating, best friends, love, or any personification of a Super Bowl victory into a child that Favre fathered for me.

Yet another example of "Women are from Venus and Men are from Mars"...:)

Yes, I know I used some interesting imagery... :p

but it does sort of capture my general feeling about the whole thing, metaphorically speaking of course.

I do remember some stuff in the news on ESPN about Brett leaving messages on Ted Thompson's answering machine, and so forth. Check out this link: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...s-messages-on-ted-thompsons-answering-machine

Ha Ha! :D

Reaction score
I give this thread about 17hrs 32 minutes before it turns into a bickerfest.
wtf is up with your assumptions? Favre is the greatest of greats and you're sitting here guessing when it will become a bickerfest in this joint??

WHO ELSE WANTS TO ARGUE? PS YOU WON'T WIN

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you want to look up the topic on this forum, try searching "Farvre" in the search query. Other than that I don't even know where to begin.

OP
OP
scotscheese

scotscheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
thanks for all the replies folks, it has certainly shed a lot of light on the subject for me

i'm glad there was no bickering, as i realised that the subject could have some emotional baggage still

i'd forgotten about him going to the jets first, and didn't know about the disturbing of training camp and the messages etc...

it's a shame things ended the way they did, as he is probably the main reason that i started following the packers.

in AR we have a replacement that is just as good throwing, but i feel he has a better head on him than BF, onwards and upwards