Erasmus James Cut

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
WOW!
A first round pick cut!
I wonder where, if anywhere, he will end up. He was GREAT at Wisconsin.........i didn't expect him to bomb like that.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
how pathetic are the vikings. i mean seriously.

2 first round picks in 2005. both of em busts.

i mean if you were a new GM and did everything the opposite way of the Vikings.... youd win GM of the year by at the very latest your second or third year.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sounds like Erasmus is kind of the Vikings "Tony Manderich". All those possibilities and talent wasted.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score

i mean if you were a new GM and did everything the opposite way of the Vikings.... youd win GM of the year by at the very latest your second or third year.

Should we talk about the Packers 2001 draft?

First the current GM, coach and owner are all different since the 2005 draft.

Second, every team has one of those years where the draft just does not turn out.

Third, if the Vikings are so bad at the draft why do the Packers pick up some of their castoffs?

And fourth, we don't know how good the Packers 1st round pick is yet, he may be a bust as well.

James' problems all stem from his injuries. If he had not blown out his knee two years in a row he would be fine. How many times have we seen good players go downhill after being injured? You have 6 defensive ends in camp, one is always on IR. Who do you cut? Can he still be good, sure, I think he will be. Just not in MN.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packnic said:

LOL, yes lets talk about a 7 year old draft....wow.

Keep reaching.

OP
OP
P

PackOne

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Third, if the Vikings are so bad at the draft why do the Packers pick up some of their castoffs?

You mean guys like Sharper, Ferguson, Longwell and those guys right?

NodakPaul

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Keep in mind that 2005 was Tice's last year as HC. Williamson was his pick, and James - well, I think James was hurt not only by his constant injuries, but also by the fact that he held out his rookie year. He never produced the way he did in WI.

All in all, 2005 was a very bad draft for a LOT of first rounders, but the Vikings had easily one of the worst.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packnic said:

First the current GM, coach and owner are all different since the 2005 draft.

Second, every team has one of those years where the draft just does not turn out.

And fourth, we don't know how good the Packers 1st round pick is yet, he may be a bust as well.

James' problems all stem from his injuries. If he had not blown out his knee two years in a row he would be fine. How many times have we seen good players go downhill after being injured? You have 6 defensive ends in camp, one is always on IR. Who do you cut? Can he still be good, sure, I think he will be. Just not in MN.

wow buddy. Viking castoffs on the Packers roster? really. thats what your going with. i cant think of any Viking cast off that on this current roster.

and as far as our bad 2001 draft.... that was 7 years ago.... AND WE WERE STILL WINNING ball games.

i know every team has the occasional bad draft. but you guys make it a habit. and nobody but the vikings could screw up the Randy Moss deal that badly. you gave the league leader in TD receptions away FOR NOTHING!

theres nothing Vikings fan can say... why do they even come to this site to talk junk. We are better in every measurable way.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
wow buddy. Viking castoffs on the Packers roster? really. thats what your going with. i cant think of any Viking cast off that on this current roster.

I can think of two off the top of my head. Cole and Bolston. But then what do I know, I'm a Vikings fans.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

I can think of two off the top of my head. Cole and Bolston. But then what do I know, I'm a Vikings fans.

Colin is one of your examples? He was cut by you and the Lions...

Maybe the issue is the Lions and Viks can't judge talent properly..Cuz he seems to be doing pretty good for the Pack..

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Raptorman said:

Maybe the issue is the Lions and Viks can't judge talent properly..Cuz he seems to be doing pretty good for the Pack..

Maybe the Vikings were deep at that time at that position. My point being that players change teams all the time. Players are signed off practice squads, people get let go for one reason or another. Some players do better on one team then another for some reason. Look at Moss in Oakland. Everyone assumes he didn't play, but if you look at his stats, he still had 1 td for every 10 passes. Which for him is a drop off, but for most WR's would be a good year. They just didn't have a QB who could get him the ball as much as Brady or Culpepper did.

Then you have the issue that a coach doesnt like a particular player for some reason. See Favre in Atlanta and Gilbert Brown in Minnesota. The coaches of those teams had issues with those players and let them go for one reason or another. Teams have bad drafts, players don't live up to expectations. If 50% of your drafted palyers are still on the team much less the NFL 5 years down the road your doing a good job.

NodakPaul

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i know every team has the occasional bad draft. but you guys make it a habit. and nobody but the vikings could screw up the Randy Moss deal that badly. you gave the league leader in TD receptions away FOR NOTHING!

How does one year make it a habit? What other first rounders for the Vikings didn't pan out? If you are going to make broad statement, at least back it up with some research.

BTW, how much contribution did Justin Harrell bring last year? If I'm not mistaken, he missed 9 out of the first 11 games due to injury... ;)

Yes, the 2005 draft sucked butt. NO arguments there. But it is hardly a habit.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packnic said:

How does one year make it a habit? What other first rounders for the Vikings didn't pan out? If you are going to make broad statement, at least back it up with some research.

BTW, how much contribution did Justin Harrell bring last year? If I'm not mistaken, he missed 9 out of the first 11 games due to injury... ;)

i didnt necessarily mean draft blunders... i should have clarified. blunders in general.

NodakPaul

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NodakPaul said:
Packnic said:

i didnt necessarily mean draft blunders... i should have clarified. blunders in general.

OK... You still lose me there. Which blunders are you speaking of?

EDIT: And if you are trying to loop the Moss trade in there, that was the same year. And I already said that Tice and Red McCheap screwed us in 2005. Thank God neither are associated with the Vikings anymore...

And I find it kind of humorous that you now view Moss as a great player. I have a feeling that when he was on the Vikings you didn't think so highly of him...

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wanted James to do well (not against us of course) but in general. I like to see Wisconsin players do well in the NFL.
Maybe he still will, if he can ever get healthy.

vike4life

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packnic said:

Keep in mind that 2005 was Tice's last year as HC. Williamson was his pick, and James - well, I think James was hurt not only by his constant injuries, but also by the fact that he held out his rookie year. He never produced the way he did in WI.

All in all, 2005 was a very bad draft for a LOT of first rounders, but the Vikings had easily one of the worst.

Sorry Paul. You know how much I respect you and your opinions. But, Williamson was not a Tice Pick. He was picked when Tice was the head coach. That is a fact. Tice wanted Merriman with that pick. Cannot blame Tice for picking Williamson.

PackerGeek

Cheesehead
Reaction score
longtimefan said:
Raptorman said:

Maybe the Vikings were deep at that time at that position. My point being that players change teams all the time. Players are signed off practice squads, people get let go for one reason or another. Some players do better on one team then another for some reason. Look at Moss in Oakland. Everyone assumes he didn't play, but if you look at his stats, he still had 1 td for every 10 passes. Which for him is a drop off, but for most WR's would be a good year. They just didn't have a QB who could get him the ball as much as Brady or Culpepper did.

Then you have the issue that a coach doesnt like a particular player for some reason. See Favre in Atlanta and Gilbert Brown in Minnesota. The coaches of those teams had issues with those players and let them go for one reason or another. Teams have bad drafts, players don't live up to expectations. If 50% of your drafted palyers are still on the team much less the NFL 5 years down the road your doing a good job.

Unfortunately he is no long with the vikings, not for any of the reasons stated, but because he simply didn't produce. Yes he was injured but as I recall he was drafted coming off an injury (Knee??? maybe) so you knew that going in. Very similar to what we did last year with Harrel (who we dont know about yet) in the end if he works out it's a steal if he doesn't it's a bust. that's the nature of the draft. As for Moss, as a packer fan I thought he was so amazing that I absolutely hated him with every ounce of my core (okay that may be extereme). Probably not that different than most Vikings and Bears fans i know thought of Favre. They all hated him because he no matter what you did sometimes, someghow. He could beat you. and I feel that way about Moss, He had the talent to turn a game around at times and there is no way I would have traded him. I would have found a way to build my team around him.

V

Vikeman

Raptorman said:
longtimefan said:
Raptorman said:

Unfortunately he is no long with the vikings, not for any of the reasons stated, but because he simply didn't produce. Yes he was injured but as I recall he was drafted coming off an injury (Knee??? maybe) so you knew that going in. Very similar to what we did last year with Harrel (who we dont know about yet) in the end if he works out it's a steal if he doesn't it's a bust. that's the nature of the draft. As for Moss, as a packer fan I thought he was so amazing that I absolutely hated him with every ounce of my core (okay that may be extereme). Probably not that different than most Vikings and Bears fans i know thought of Favre. They all hated him because he no matter what you did sometimes, someghow. He could beat you. and I feel that way about Moss, He had the talent to turn a game around at times and there is no way I would have traded him. I would have found a way to build my team around him.

Everything happens for a reason...if we would have kept Moss we never would have gotten Peterson...and there is no way in the world I would give up Peterson for anything (not even a rookie Moss). He 's an awesome player, without the baggage, and who remains humble. However since the people on this website think the Vikings are the only team to draft bad first rounders, choke in the playoffs, lose a superbowl, I understand the logic.

NodakPaul

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NodakPaul said:
Packnic said:

Sorry Paul. You know how much I respect you and your opinions. But, Williamson was not a Tice Pick. He was picked when Tice was the head coach. That is a fact. Tice wanted Merriman with that pick. Cannot blame Tice for picking Williamson.

I was under the impression that Tice pushed for Williamson. But to be honest, I could easily be wrong. I just remember Tice telling everyone "You can't coach speed..."

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score

I was talking draft picks on another board and posted this. He wanted to not take the last 3 drafts due to the fact that it takes at least 3 years to judge a player. So, let's talk about judging talent again.

"Staring with the 2005 draft, the 3 year window you talk about.

Aaron Rodgers, Ahmad Carroll, Nick Barnett, Javon Walker, Jamal Reynolds, Bubba Franks, Antuan Edwards, Vonnie Holiday. The Packers first round picks. A stellar list of current Packer players. How many are starting for you this year? And of course all are still with the Packers, right?"

During the same time period the Vikings have 3 players still on the team, Udeze, K. Williams and B. McKinne. Seems to me they both do about as well on the talent issue.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PackerGeek said:
Raptorman said:
longtimefan said:
Raptorman said:

However since the people on this website think the Vikings are the only team to draft bad first rounders, choke in the playoffs, lose a superbowl, I understand the logic.
Nah....i sure don't think that way! What about the Lions? Other then not even getting to a SB to lose it (or 4) they are on the same level as the Vikings! :wink: :lol:

Members online

Latest posts