EPL and British Football

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know for certain its happened in the past Nessie, player power and EU rules would no doubt not allow it. I know Robben was well liked at Chelsea however Abramovich did not give him what he wanted that brought about the move to Real. I cant comment on what happened after that because i don't know, however as we know he's Dutch........................

Btw - Hamburg signed two young Dutch players on loan today ! ;)

Bundesbiers

1. FC Eintracht Bamberg
Reaction score
Somewhere else ? He had his try at Bayern and failed. I dont know why but in Germany Poldi seems to play his best football only at home in Cologne. I doubt that signing with another Bundesliga team would make sense.
I think thats why he decided to move to England. And though he only started 10 games he scored 11 goals and had 10 assists - I wouldnt call this a bad season for his first year in the EPL. ;)

Exactly, so with him scoring all those goals with limited playing time, we wasn't he getting more playing time or starting? Makes no sense.

I think Podolski playing for Hamburg or Leverkusen would have made a lot of sense. I can't see why he wouldn't have success at any of those clubs. But that's just me. Instead he goes to England and hardly plays. :tdown:

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
From what I hear Robben is not a very nice man. Sometimes I suspect personality conflicts are involved in these decisions.

Robben is a decent player, but he tends to throw temper tantrums from time to time. I didn't like how he got ticked at Pep for using someone more consistent to shoot a penalty kick. He's a temperamental player.

Goater

Feed the Goat
Reaction score
It's nice to see Arsenal using some Germans, although I wish Wenger would play Podolski more. Even when Podolski was healthy last season, there were many games he didn't even start, and if he didn't start, he wasn't playing 90 minutes. I don't mind Arsenal in the overall scheme of things. I'd rather them win then the Manchesters or Liverpools.

Plural would lead me to believe City and Everton are included.

According to the link you posted, Poldolski appeared in 33 games. In 8 of those he came on as a sub. In 23 he was subbed off. That leaves just 2 over the entire match. That makes 25 starts in 38 matches in my calculations. Subs rarely get subbed off. I don't think that's anything to complain about. The decisions were likely more tactical than anything.

Last edited:

Goater

Feed the Goat
Reaction score

Bundesbiers

1. FC Eintracht Bamberg
Reaction score
Plural would lead me to believe City and Everton are included.

According to the link you posted, Poldolski appeared in 33 games. In 8 of those he came on as a sub. In 23 he was subbed off. That leaves just 2 over the entire match. That makes 25 starts in 38 matches in my calculations. Subs rarely get subbed off. I don't think that's anything to complain about. The decisions were likely more tactical than anything.

Correct.

Suarez plays for 90 minutes. RVP plays for 90 minutes. Aguero plays for 90 minutes. Messi plays for 90 minutes, Lewandowski plays for 90 minutes, Ibrahimovich plays for 90 minutes. Why in the world does Podolski not play for 90 minutes. :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Goater

Feed the Goat
Reaction score
Suarez plays for 90 minutes. RVP plays for 90 minutes. Aguero plays for 90 minutes. Messi plays for 90 minutes, Lewandowski plays for 90 minutes, Ibrahimovich plays for 90 minutes. Why in the world does Podolski not play for 90 minutes. :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

You are comparing him to rather select company. Podolski has his moments, but is not as solid for 90 min as any of the above. You could equally pose your question to Jogi Loew as Arsene Wenger.

Bundesbiers

1. FC Eintracht Bamberg
Reaction score
You are comparing him to rather select company. Podolski has his moments, but is not as solid for 90 min as any of the above. You could equally pose your question to Jogi Loew as Arsene Wenger.

I don't think so. Ask Lowe if he knew in advance that riding the pine at Arsenal would be a good move for him instead of starting at a Bundesliga club.

2010 World Cup, Podolski plays 90 minutes in 2 of 3 group stage games (He left the game against AUS in the 81st minute when they were up by 4 goals to nil). He played 90 minutes against England in the knockout round. He played 90 minutes against Argentina in the Quarterfinal. Podolski is a proven 90 minute player, and deservedly so.

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
Hmmm....I wonder if Wenger is seriously interested or not ?
http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/arsenal-transfers-julian-draxler-talk-3031417
Draxler would be the fifth German player at Arsenal. :eek:
But I still dont expect him to leave Schalke soon, at least not this winter transfer period.

First there was a French colony at **** and now there's a German one wasnt Wenger born on the German French border? i think he was that might explain it. ;)
Chelsea were also a possible choice for Draxler (papertalk) i have no idea about him is he good? :cautious:

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
First there was a French colony at Arse and now there's a German one wasnt Wenger born on the German French border? i think he was that might explain it. ;)
Chelsea were also a possible choice for Draxler (papertalk) i have no idea about him is he good? :cautious:
Yepp, Henry, Pires, Vieira just to name a few. :) I think Henry might be on of the best Arsenal players of all time ?
As much as I know Arsene Wenger was born in Alsace, I guess thats why he speaks German very good because as you said, its just a stone's throw away from the German border. Btw - one of the most beautiful French/German regions.
Draxler is one of the most talented young German players at the moment but I have my doubts if he is good enough to play as a starter for teams like Arsenal or Chelsea. He should stay at least another full season in Germany, better two. He had an outstanding last season but he is struggling so far this season.

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
Yepp, Henry, Pires, Vieira just to name a few. :) I think Henry might be on of the best Arsenal players of all time ?
As much as I know Arsene Wenger was born in Alsace, I guess thats why he speaks German very good because as you said, its just a stone's throw away from the German border. Btw - one of the most beautiful French/German regions.
Draxler is one of the most talented young German players at the moment but I have my doubts if he is good enough to play as a starter for teams like Arsenal or Chelsea. He should stay at least another full season in Germany, better two. He had an outstanding last season but he is struggling so far this season.

As you know i'm no fan of the ****, but its a close call between him and Bergkamp i'd say. He (Bergkamp) was sublime.
Ahh sounds as though he should stay where he is then, look at Holtby at Tottenham it didnt really work out for him

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts