EPL and British Football

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
BTW Nessie, I like your Philly Union Avatar. I would get one of their jerseys since I have two daughters living near Philly and I'm only a couple hours away, but they have the word "*****" in big letters across the front. I know it's a company logo, but it's also a derogatory term for a person in the U.S.

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
Interesting result, i cant help but think last season ManU would have won or at least drawn that particular fixture...................

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Interesting result, i cant help but think last season ManU would have won or at least drawn that particular fixture...................
Agree, and I guess a draw would have been a fair result. Both teams werent able to create chances to score and I must admit I found it a quite boring match.
But If I compare both teams ManU still has much more potential, Liverpool looked like a mediocre team.

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
Agree, and I guess a draw would have been a fair result. Both teams werent able to create chances to score and I must admit I found it a quite boring match.
But If I compare both teams ManU still has much more potential, Liverpool looked like a mediocre team.

Thats what pleases me, any one taking points off ManU. Liverpool always seem to fade for whatever reasons over a season.

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
BTW Nessie, I like your Philly Union Avatar. I would get one of their jerseys since I have two daughters living near Philly and I'm only a couple hours away, but they have the word "*****" in big letters across the front. I know it's a company logo, but it's also a derogatory term for a person in the U.S.
Thanks Croak. I just decided to use it because I will be heading to PHL the week after next.:)
Already checked their schedule and unfortunately they only play away games when Im in town :rolleyes:
Ah yes, we had the "*****" discussion before, as much as I remember you are using it for women and we use it as a derogatory term for black people. How can you name a company like this ? Strange, isnt it ? :confused: :D

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Thanks Croak. I just decided to use it because I will be heading to PHL the week after next.:)
Already checked their schedule and unfortunately they only play away games when Im in town :rolleyes:
Ah yes, we had the "*****" discussion before, as much as I remember you are using it for women and we use it as a derogatory term for black people. How can you name a company like this ? Strange, isnt it ? :confused: :D

Yep. It would be a really cool jersey if they put that shield logo on it instead. Coming out to what we Pennsylvanians call "the City of Brotherly Shove"? I hope you have a good trip. You could always take in a Phillies game if you wanted a good siesta.

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score

Cool, :tup: post any Football related monuments should you pass them. ;)

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yep. It would be a really cool jersey if they put that shield logo on it instead. Coming out to what we Pennsylvanians call "the City of Brotherly Shove"? I hope you have a good trip. You could always take in a Phillies game if you wanted a good siesta.
Thanks Croak ! Baseball, hmmm, I dont have insomnia but maybe once in a lifetime I should give it a try ;)
Are they really that rude in Philadelphia? :eek::D

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cool, :tup: post any Football related monuments should you pass them. ;)
I will do, PackerFan71 :)
My plan is to visit at least the Lincon Financial Field (Eagles), Bank of America Stadium (Panthers) and Georgia Dome (Falcons). Unfortunately we only pass by Baltimore and DC so no opportunity to visit the stadiums of the Redskins and Ravens.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
I will do, PackerFan71 :)
My plan is to visit at least the Lincon Financial Field (Eagles), Bank of America Stadium (Panthers) and Georgia Dome (Falcons). Unfortunately we only pass by Baltimore and DC so no opportunity to visit the stadiums of the Redskins and Ravens.

You won't miss much in DC, but the Stadiums and Inner Harbor in Baltimore are pretty cool.

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
You won't miss much in DC, but the Stadiums and Inner Harbor in Baltimore are pretty cool.
Yeah, missing Baltimore would be a terrible pity. :(
Because I had the plan to drive down using Highway 13 and crossing Chesapeake Tunnel/Bridge to Virginia Beach its impossible.
But still undecided because me and my wife would like to see Baltimore but no idea how to change our route, fortunately one week left to think it over. ;)

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score

I have heard from some no doubt with an agenda that Baltimore is a bit of a dump, but having done a search on it the waterfront area at least looks pretty good.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
I have heard from some no doubt with an agenda that Baltimore is a bit of a dump, but having done a search on it the waterfront area at least looks pretty good.

Some of Baltimore is nasty. But Inner Harbor, Fort McHenry and the Stadiums are cool.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Some of Baltimore is nasty. But Inner Harbor, Fort McHenry and the Stadiums are cool.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2

I think I'll give it a try, still planning my trip and because we dont book all hotels in advance changes are possible. We'll see...... ;)

Back on the EPL: Looks like Arsenal could land Mesut Özil :eek:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...t-Ozil-Angel-di-Maria-and-Abel-Hernandez.html

Will be an interesting morning today, transfer window closes at noon....

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
I think I'll give it a try, still planning my trip and because we dont book all hotels in advance changes are possible. We'll see...... ;)

Back on the EPL: Looks like Arsenal could land Mesut Özil :eek:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...t-Ozil-Angel-di-Maria-and-Abel-Hernandez.html

Will be an interesting morning today, transfer window closes at noon....

Wenger must be going ballistic over this, actually spending money on a player? surely its against all his principles. A resignation must soon follow. :laugh:

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

Is it just me or is the transfer market prices getting ridiculous ??? Gareth Bale is definately talented, but worth THAT much ????

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
Is it just me or is the transfer market prices getting ridiculous ??? Gareth Bale is definately talented, but worth THAT much ????

In a word No he's worth £10m tops, in a year or so Real will realize this and offload him back to England. Congratz to Spurs for getting that amount for a diver like him.

Real have just sold Ozil to Arsenal for £42m and made nearly £30m in profit for a better player, cant see them getting that for Bale.

Last edited:

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score

I said to stop by Baltimore if you are on a Stadium tour because their baseball (Camden Yards) and football stadiums are nice. The DC stadium is not much. However, DC has a lot to offer in the way of Museums if you are ever inclined to visit there. The Smithsonian is a place a person could spend multiple days and still never see everything. I don't know what your hobbies are other than sports, but you might like the Baltimore Aquarium as well since it is right near the stadiums. Warning, the traffic from Baltimore around DC to Richmond is some of the most heavily congested in the nation at certain times of the day. Also they just came out with a study citing that DC drivers are some of the worst in the nation. Just thought I'd give you a heads up.

Having been to Berlin and seen the beauty of the Bundestag, the U.S. Capitol pales in comparison. So if you don't get to see it on this trip, don't be too disappointed. However going to see it someday might be on you itinerary.

Now back to footy....

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
I said to stop by Baltimore if you are on a Stadium tour because their baseball (Camden Yards) and football stadiums are nice. The DC stadium is not much. However, DC has a lot to offer in the way of Museums if you are ever inclined to visit there. The Smithsonian is a place a person could spend multiple days and still never see everything. I don't know what your hobbies are other than sports, but you might like the Baltimore Aquarium as well since it is right near the stadiums. Warning, the traffic from Baltimore around DC to Richmond is some of the most heavily congested in the nation at certain times of the day. Also they just came out with a study citing that DC drivers are some of the worst in the nation. Just thought I'd give you a heads up.

Having been to Berlin and seen the beauty of the Bundestag, the U.S. Capitol pales in comparison. So if you don't get to see it on this trip, don't be too disappointed. However going to see it someday might be on you itinerary.

Now back to footy....
Thanks Croak ! Thats very helpful, I appreciate your help ! :tup:
I've been in DC once when visiting the US for a (high) school/student exchange program.
You may guess.....long time ago ;)
I even remember having visited Amish people on my way to DC, as much as I know there are many of them living in PA, right ?

O.K., back on topic - I wonder why Real wanted to get rid of Özil, maybe just to finance the Bale deal ?

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Thanks Croak ! Thats very helpful, I appreciate your help ! :tup:
I've been in DC once when visiting the US for a (high) school/student exchange program.
You may guess.....long time ago ;)
I even remember having visited Amish people on my way to DC, as much as I know there are many of them living in PA, right ?

O.K., back on topic - I wonder why Real wanted to get rid of Özil, maybe just to finance the Bale deal ?

A. Yes sports fans in Philadelphia are very rude. B. Amish all around us here in Central PA, we rented a house from an Amish man for a few years. They are some of the best neighbors one can have.

On Özil; hmmm. There must be something behind the scenes that we can't see. Real have lots of money so financing the Bale deal shouldn't have been too big a problem. Maybe he wanted a transfer and was quietly negotiating with the club to release him?

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
A. Yes sports fans in Philadelphia are very rude. B. Amish all around us here in Central PA, we rented a house from an Amish man for a few years. They are some of the best neighbors one can have.

On Özil; hmmm. There must be something behind the scenes that we can't see. Real have lots of money so financing the Bale deal shouldn't have been too big a problem. Maybe he wanted a transfer and was quietly negotiating with the club to release him?
There must be something behind the scenes but dont believe that he wanted the transfer, Croak.
On Wednesday last week Özil declared he wont leave Real but suddenly found himself benched last weekend. Everybody was surprised.
I guess that made him change his mind ? Even Real fans did not want him to leave:
http://hereisthecity.com/2013/09/02...-ozil-at-gareth-bales-unveiling-at-real-madr/

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
From the little i know about Real nearly every year the need a Marquee signing to parade in front of their fans, does not matter who it is, as long as they have one. This year it just so happens to be a chancer from Wales, Ozil looks like last years flavour of the month so hes moved on. I do believe they are that fickle.

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
From the little i know about Real nearly every year the need a Marquee signing to parade in front of their fans, does not matter who it is, as long as they have one. This year it just so happens to be a chancer from Wales, Ozil looks like last years flavour of the month so hes moved on. I do believe they are that fickle.
Well, thats a pricey habit they have at Real Madrid ;)
I remember Barcelona doing the same, especially in the 80`s and 90`s.
Everytime they elected their new President the candidates tried to outbid the other by promising to bring in certain top players. And after beeing voted they had to deliver....:rolleyes::D

The unknown player for 24m is the guy on the picture right under your signature quote, am I right ? ;)

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
Well, thats a pricey habit they have at Real Madrid ;)
I remember Barcelona doing the same, especially in the 80`s and 90`s.
Everytime they elected their new President the candidates tried to outbid the other by promising to bring in certain top players. And after beeing voted they had to deliver....:rolleyes::D

The unknown player for 24m is the guy on the picture right under your signature quote, am I right ?
;)

Yeah its all a massive publicity stunt, sickening political egomania. Thats right Barca used to do it too must be a Spanish thing..........:cautious:

Yep thats him, back in 2004 there were questions about the fee paid for him it took him a good while to settle. About to do the last thing of his career in a blues shirt.

Actually spotted someone other than myself wearing Packer gear today. A youngster with a black bomber jacket with the Greatness G on the front, if id have had my Mobile id taken a pic, rare event.
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts