EPL and British Football

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just found an interesting article about 10 years of Abramovich at Chelsea.
Did you know that Torres was the most expensive transfer so far ?

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Another interesting chart is about their managers, an overview how long they
worked at Stamford Bridge and which titles they won:

Short summary of the article: Quite positive about what Abramovich has achieved.
The article describes Abramovich to be seriously involved at Chelsea.
And that he has become a person that has a remarkable knowledge of football nowadays.
Chelsea Youth Acadamy is mentioned as one of the best in Europe and last season the club even made profit for the first time since Abramovich took over ten years ago.

Btw - did you know that Graeme Souness was "involved" when Abramovich visited a football game in England for the first time ? :eek:
After visiting a ManU game at Old Trafford where Graeme picked him up at the airport he decided to buy an EPL team. And we all know how it ended .... ;)

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
Just found an interesting article about 10 years of Abramovich at Chelsea.
Did you know that Torres was the most expensive transfer so far ?

Another interesting chart is about their managers, an overview how long they
worked at Stamford Bridge and which titles they won:

Short summary of the article: Quite positive about what Abramovich has achieved.
The article describes Abramovich to be seriously involved at Chelsea.
And that he has become a person that has a remarkable knowledge of football nowadays.
Chelsea Youth Acadamy is mentioned as one of the best in Europe and last season the club even made profit for the first time since Abramovich took over ten years ago.

Btw - did you know that Graeme Souness was "involved" when Abramovich visited a football game in England for the first time ? :eek:
After visiting a ManU game at Old Trafford where Graeme picked him up at the airport he decided to buy an EPL team. And we all know how it ended .... ;)

Good find i knew Torres was the biggest buy 50m! silly money, swings and roundabouts though. Liverpool wasted most of the cash on Andy Carroll. :roflmao:

Had no idea about Souness involvement, although im not surpized. Hes very much involved with the movers and the shakers in the game. The facilities at CFCs Cobham are now second to none, and alot of work has been done on youth development futures looking good.

Abramovic's main problem has been his lack of patience with coaches, a silly amount of turnover. But on the whole i'm glad hes the owner although im sure at some point ill kick myself for saying that. :laugh:

Last edited:

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good find i knew Torres was the biggest buy 50m! silly money, swings and roundabouts though. Liverpool wasted most of the cash on Andy Carroll. :roflmao:

Had no idea about Souness involvement, although im not surpized. Hes very much involved with the movers and the shakers in the game. The facilities at CFCs Cobham are now second to none, and alot of work has been done on youth development futures looking good.

Abramovic's main problem has been his lack of patience with coaches, a silly amount of turnover. But on the whole i'm glad hes the owner although im sure at some point ill kick myself for saying that. :laugh:
I guess it turned out much better than expected since he took over Chelsea, thats what they say in this article as well.
He is one of the very few who didnt try to make some easy money - they describe him as driven to be the best.
Perhaps one of the reasons for his impatience.
Anyway, could have been worse, I would be glad too. ;)

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
I guess it turned out much better than expected since he took over Chelsea, thats what they say in this article as well.
He is one of the very few who didnt try to make some easy money - they describe him as driven to be the best.
Perhaps one of the reasons for his impatience.
Anyway, could have been worse, I would be glad too.
;)

Well when you consider the jokers and thief's who some teams get as owners we hit the jackpot with Abramovich. Hes been as good as his word on most things, but as you said at times hes too demanding. But that's a luxury he can afford, as hes got more money than Solomon. However id still be a fan if he was there or not, just because he's a Billionaire owner makes him no different than any other supporter. Keepin it real. :tup:

Last edited:

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
Last edited:

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah they did brilliant in the first game, not unexpected to be honest typical of a small team at that level. Not mentally tough enough sadly. :(

I had to check to see if it was April 1st, what next? ''London Blues GO Chelsea Football Club''?
Utter joke.
:laugh::rolleyes:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23629379

Hull City Tigers ? This is not an American High School soccer team:rolleyes:
What are Hull City fans doing against this or dont they care ?

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
Hull City Tigers ? This is not an American High School soccer team:rolleyes:
What are Hull City fans doing against this or dont they care ?

Cant speak for them but if it were my team id be really angry at that, btw ManU are considering re introducing Football Club to their badge. :eek: Taking the words off in the first place was shocking not that im bothered, but it the all part of the corporate BS in the game theses days. :rolleyes:

No idea if you know of him, but he was an incredibly good defender back in the day, it shocking what addictions can do.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...olden-boy--homeless-wreck-drinking-death.html

Last edited:

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cant speak for them but if it were my team id be really angry at that, btw ManU are considering re introducing Football Club to their badge. :eek: Taking the words off in the first place was shocking not that im bothered, but it the all part of the corporate BS in the game theses days. :rolleyes:

No idea if you know of him, but he was an incredibly good defender back in the day, it shocking what addictions can do.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...olden-boy--homeless-wreck-drinking-death.html

I can only repeat myself - hands off from team colours and crest. :mad:;)

Kenny Samson, I remember his name and that he played for Arsenal but thats all I know about him.
Looks like another sad story of a football player who cant manage his life after finishing his career. :(

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
I can only repeat myself - hands off from team colours and crest. :mad:;)

Kenny Samson, I remember his name and that he played for Arsenal but thats all I know about him.
Looks like another sad story of a football player who cant manage his life after finishing his career. :(

Very reliable player and solid you'd have wanted him in your team. Fast forward 20 years and it would not surprize me The Chelsea 26 will be the same.

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
Still no Russian or Chinese club interested to sign him ? :rolleyes:

No not even they are silly enough to pay good money for damaged old rope.

Crazy decision, its on the same level of having a Superbowl in the middle of summer.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23654191

Oh well thats pre season over and done, down to the real business in a week. Enjoy this funny, the curse of the backup keeper strikes again. :D

Last edited:

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
No not even they are silly enough to pay good money for damaged old rope.

Crazy decision, its on the same level of having a Superbowl in the middle of summer.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23654191

Oh well thats pre season over and done, down to the real business in a week. Enjoy this funny, the curse of the backup keeper strikes again. :D

It just proves that its all about the money, it is and it remains a joke.
I wonder how much money Mr. Blatter and his henchmen got for the decision to give the World Cup to Quatar ? :rolleyes:

Nice goal :eek::laugh:
Perhaps Chelsea should watch out for new backup keeper ? :confused:;)

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Just found out that NBC (free ad supported network) is going to be broadcasting the EPL this year! Now if their rival networks would pick up Bundesliga, I think I'd do cartwheels down the street

Unfortunately GolTV has exclusive North American rights to Bundesliga. They are only on pay cable for an additional subscription fee. :mad:

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2

Wolf Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Southbank, Molineux, Wolverhampton, England
Just a week to the start of the Premier League, whats your choices for trophies? Just abit of fun.

Premier League Title - Chelsea
Runner up - Man City
Champions League - Man Utd & Spurs
Uefa Cup - Arsenal & Liverpool
Relegated - Cardiff, Stoke & Crystal Palace
FA Cup - Liverpool
League Cup - Everton

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
My Choices not to be taken seriously, just what id like. :)

Runner up - Arsenal
Champions League - Man Utd & Man City
Uefa Cup - Everton & Spurs
Relegated - Cardiff, Stoke & Hull City Rollers
FA Cup - Swansea
League Cup - Norwich City

Just found out that NBC (free ad supported network) is going to be broadcasting the EPL this year! Now if their rival networks would pick up Bundesliga, I think I'd do cartwheels down the street

Unfortunately GolTV has exclusive North American rights to Bundesliga. They are only on pay cable for an additional subscription fee. :mad:

What gives with that is the game with the round ball getting a little more popular over there now? Bundesliga seems like a niche market, but its getting more popular here. Even we got a highlight show last year.

Last edited:

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
ESPN reported that more young people 18 and under play soccer in the US than any other sport. The youth leagues are inspiring the kids and educating the parents, so overall interest in the game is growing. Added to this is the fact that it is cheaper to play soccer and to watch it, since college football and the NFL have become so money hungry they are gradually losing support of the lower middle class. And the lower middle class is growing rapidly in our economy.

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
I had a look into my crystal ball....

....and here are my predictions ;)

Runner up - ManU
Champions League - Arsenal, ManCity
Uefa Cup - Spurs, Liverpool
Relegated - Norwich, WestBrom, Hull
FA Cup - Swansea
League Cup - Tottenham

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score

Thats a pity but I just checked their website and I'm surprised to find there match reports and videos, only a couple days after the game, for free.
Of course Im blocked from outside the US but I guess you could watch at least the match reports for
free, dont you ? :)
But thats not the same as watching a game live, I know.... :(

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've got no real use for soccer but I do loves me some rugby...does that count?

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
ESPN reported that more young people 18 and under play soccer in the US than any other sport. The youth leagues are inspiring the kids and educating the parents, so overall interest in the game is growing. Added to this is the fact that it is cheaper to play soccer and to watch it, since college football and the NFL have become so money hungry they are gradually losing support of the lower middle class. And the lower middle class is growing rapidly in our economy.

I have heard that for years fastest growing sport etc...............Greed could be their downfall, people go elsewhere if they are ripped of all the time.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts