EPL and British Football

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Arsene Wenger says the CL was a wakeup call to the EPL. He says European teams have caught up to the English. Agree?

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
Arsene Wenger says the CL was a wakeup call to the EPL. He says European teams have caught up to the English. Agree?

I'm of the opinion that the English teams have let it slip a bit more than anything else, in Chelsea's case we moved on a few of the big time players that won us our biggest prize ever. The replacements haven't been up to scratch. Wenger is lucky he got his team as far as he did, thats Arsenal on a shoestring.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
I just saw the GOALIE get red carded in the Sunderland/Norwich game. That's not something that happens every day.

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Amazing! my Subbuteo set has many moons ago being promoted to my attic, not so in the case of others.:eek::)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/in-pictures-21856825

Yeah ok i know its indoors, but great imagination and technique anyway.
You must be logged in to see this image or video!
Subbeteo - never heard of it before, looks like a lot of fun and reminds me of Tipp-kick, something similar we played here in Germany.
Does anybody of you guys know "Tipp-Kick" ?;)
Awesome goal, and I always loved to play indoors with my team in my younger days. I think I can say that I was pretty good indoors, I scored a lot. How time flies :(;)

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
Subbeteo - never heard of it before, looks like a lot of fun and reminds me of Tipp-kick, something similar we played here in Germany.
Does anybody of you guys know "Tipp-Kick" ?;)
Awesome goal, and I always loved to play indoors with my team in my younger days. I think I can say that I was pretty good indoors, I scored a lot. How time flies :(;)

I didn't know of Tipp-kick but looked it up, its kinda similar, but Subbuteo had a round ball and a bigger pitch so to speak. :)
I used to really like a bit of indoor footie i didn't score much but when i did they were good, (midfield enforcer) the more unskilled players hated indoors i noticed. Put it this way you'd be happy if i was on your team. But way past it now.;)

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Mourinho strongly hints he is going to Stamford Bridge. Hmmmmm....Chelsea trying to keep up with Bayern maybe? :ninja:

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
Mourinho strongly hints he is going to Stamford Bridge. Hmmmmm....Chelsea trying to keep up with Bayern maybe? :ninja:

Id take that with a massive pinch of salt, ill believe it when it happens. He once said he'd like to coach England. :rolleyes:
Along the same lines today i saw a Falcao, Torres swap deal story.

Wolf Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Southbank, Molineux, Wolverhampton, England
Not been on here i a while, been caught up in other things.

Not much happened on the football front, that game friday was boring as hell, okay we won 8-0, but Christ it was dull. I found myself watching more of the Scots v Wales game tbh, much better to watch.

Anyone believe either of Wales or Scotland will reach 2018 World Cup? It does appear Wales are probably the closer out of the two to qualify for any tournanent, but i feel theyre still some way off yet.

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Id take that with a massive pinch of salt, ill believe it when it happens. He once said he'd like to coach England. :rolleyes:
Along the same lines today i saw a Falcao, Torres swap deal story.
Hmm, but he obviously prepares to return to England and I believe that if he returns to an EPL Team it will be
Chelsea. ;)
Falcao for Torres ? Sounds like a good deal if it's true. :):tup:
Btw - currently 30 degrees C in Tucson :p

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
Not been on here i a while, been caught up in other things.

Not much happened on the football front, that game friday was boring as hell, okay we won 8-0, but Christ it was dull. I found myself watching more of the Scots v Wales game tbh, much better to watch.

Anyone believe either of Wales or Scotland will reach 2018 World Cup? It does appear Wales are probably the closer out of the two to qualify for any tournanent, but i feel theyre still some way off yet.

It must be boring supporting England, knowing you always need to win then being disappointed at an 8-0 thrashing. The price of sky high expectation i guess. As a Scotland fan id be delighted with a result like that.
Wales won't qualify nowhere near it, i didn't make much of the result, more of a meaningless local bragging rights affair. The rebuilding for Scotland starts now, i think Strachan will turn things around given time.
But at least our Women's Curling team can win things, World Champs!:cool:

Hmm, but he obviously prepares to return to England and I believe that if he returns to an EPL Team it will be
Chelsea. ;)
Falcao for Torres ? Sounds like a good deal if it's true. :):tup:
Btw - currently 30 degrees C in Tucson :p

Well for now im keeping my expectations low key, until the ink is dry. ;)
Id grab that deal!
Arizona? nice. :cool: be lucky its cold as anything still back here.

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
It must be boring supporting England, knowing you always need to win then being disappointed at an 8-0 thrashing. The price of sky high expectation i guess. As a Scotland fan id be delighted with a result like that.
Wales won't qualify nowhere near it, i didn't make much of the result, more of a meaningless local bragging rights affair. The rebuilding for Scotland starts now, i think Strachan will turn things around given time.
But at least our Women's Curling team can win things, World Champs!:cool:
I guess Scotland will have a better chance next time, Strachan is the right man to turn things around.
Im not sure if Wales has ever played a World Cup tournament, i really dont know but dont think so.
England, of course, will qualify for the World Cup as expected and will lose, as usual, when playing against us.....as long there is no Russian linesman around ;)
Btw- now they really talk about moving the 2022 WC to January because of the temperatures in Quatar (surprise!)
http://www.gulf-times.com/qatar/178/details/346750/fifa-medical-chief-for-winter-2022-world-cup

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
I guess Scotland will have a better chance next time, Strachan is the right man to turn things around.
Im not sure if Wales has ever played a World Cup tournament, i really dont know but dont think so.
England, of course, will qualify for the World Cup as expected and will lose, as usual, when playing against us.....as long there is no Russian linesman around ;)
Btw- now they really talk about moving the 2022 WC to January because of the temperatures in Quatar (surprise!)
http://www.gulf-times.com/qatar/178/details/346750/fifa-medical-chief-for-winter-2022-world-cup

Its tough for Strachan because he can only play the hand he's been delt, but better having him than the disaster that was Levein.
I think Wales qualified for a World Cup once in the 50s and did very well, getting as far as the quarters possibly thanks to the magnificent John Charles (Leeds and Juve) But other than that nothing else.
Qatar World Cup in January,:rolleyes: wake me up when its all over !:sleep: ;)

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Another WC 2018 gameday and England only with a draw against Montenegro.
But I think they will in this group anyway.
Germany wins the second game against Kazakhstan as well but Scotland with another loss against Serbia. Somewhat disappointing although expected ?! :(
Looks like no game highlights are shown on ESPN, as usual they prefer to broadcast College Basketball or the NBA instead of soccer...

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
Another WC 2018 gameday and England only with a draw against Montenegro.
But I think they will in this group anyway.
Germany wins the second game against Kazakhstan as well but Scotland with another loss against Serbia. Somewhat disappointing although expected ?! :(
Looks like no game highlights are shown on ESPN, as usual they prefer to broadcast College Basketball or the NBA instead of soccer...

Yeah just a blip for them im sure they have a very good chance in Brazil. ;):sneaky:
I Watched about 5 mins of the Scotland Game and decided to do other things, the poor results are not Strachans fault its the SFAs lack of planning and ineptitude. He needs a few years to make his own team.
Don't worry you missed not much.

*Supporters of Scotland donated £1500 to Children's Village in Sremska Kamenica,Serbia.
They also cleaned the pitch in Novi Sad.
Million thanks to the Scots.
I hear you had a great time in Belgrade and Novi Sad.
Once again, thank you and greetings to Scotland the Brave.

*Comment from a Serbia Fan

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah just a blip for them im sure they have a very good chance in Brazil. ;):sneaky:
I Watched about 5 mins of the Scotland Game and decided to do other things, the poor results are not Strachans fault its the SFAs lack of planning and ineptitude. He needs a few years to make his own team.
Don't worry you missed not much.

*Supporters of Scotland donated £1500 to Children's Village in Sremska Kamenica,Serbia.
They also cleaned the pitch in Novi Sad.
Million thanks to the Scots.
I hear you had a great time in Belgrade and Novi Sad.
Once again, thank you and greetings to Scotland the Brave.

*Comment from a Serbia Fan

They will be among the top favorites, of course ! :p
But I should be quiet, as soon we will meet Italy its all over for us as well...:rolleyes:

No doubt about it - Scotland has awesome fans ! These fans deserve a better team.:tup:;)
Just back for some late shopping before we have to fly back home tomorrow night.:(
Bought me a nice football book and Lindys Draft 2013 magazine to read during the boring 10 hours flight.

Ooooh, just turned on TV and big surprise, they are airing Mexico against USA on ESPN :eek::)

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
They will be among the top favorites, of course ! :p
But I should be quiet, as soon we will meet Italy its all over for us as well...:rolleyes:

No doubt about it - Scotland has awesome fans ! These fans deserve a better team.:tup:;)
Just back for some late shopping before we have to fly back home tomorrow night.:(
Bought me a nice football book and Lindys Draft 2013 magazine to read during the boring 10 hours flight.

Ooooh, just turned on TV and big surprise, they are airing Mexico against USA on ESPN :eek::)

Yeah thats what everyone has been saying for long enough, when our national anthem was played all the Serbians applauded nice touch.:)
Ouch 10 hours, i think id have also bought a Stephen King novel or something as well just to tide me over. Did you manage to sample any of the delights i suggested when in London?

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah thats what everyone has been saying for long enough, when our national anthem was played all the Serbians applauded nice touch.:)
Ouch 10 hours, i think id have also bought a Stephen King novel or something as well just to tide me over. Did you manage to sample any of the delights i suggested when in London?
Unfortunately not, I checked all shops at Heathrow and the BA Lounge for Magners and Irn Bru but they did not have it. I missed one chance to get a Magners in Santa Barbara when I left a "Fish and Chips" restaurant after having dinner. When we walked out I saw an older couple with Magners bottles on the table. I didnt notice it on the menu.
Dang :mad::rolleyes:

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
Unfortunately not, I checked all shops at Heathrow and the BA Lounge for Magners and Irn Bru but they did not have it. I missed one chance to get a Magners in Santa Barbara when I left a "Fish and Chips" restaurant after having dinner. When we walked out I saw an older couple with Magners bottles on the table. I didnt noticed it on the menu.
Dang :mad::rolleyes:

Ah nevermind you can try them next time your in the UK. :) You cant beat a good Fish and chips.

Debt, Debt, Debt. Its all going to come crashing down at some point.:rolleyes:
http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...-taxpayer-rescued-rbs-and-lloyds-8550695.html

Wolf Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Southbank, Molineux, Wolverhampton, England
Terrible state for England and the surrounding nations - Scotland, Wales, N.Ireland and Rep Ireland. All of us are **** i'm afraid.

Such a lack luster 2nd half performance from England. 11 men looking at each other waiting for something to happen, no invention or anyone to make somethibg out of nothing. We simply do not utilitse Oxlade-Chamberlain enough, this guys the best thing we've had since Paul Gascoigne, forward thinking and gets you on your feet.

Lacked ideas, leadership and someone to grab the game by the horns. England were naive to believe that the second half was going to be anything like the first, never going to happen.

Alot to learn England... a hell of a lot to learn.

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
Every one of the nations that presently call themselves part of the UK are various degrees of potty.
Northern Ireland and Scotland are at the bottom, although we had injuries to key midfielders that's no excuse. Wales are little better two decent players all the rest journeymen. England i think we have seen this movie before, scoring then thinking the opposition is just going to roll over and take a pasting, opposition equalize then PANIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! all inept.

Never seen one of these before.

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Every one of the nations that presently call themselves part of the UK are various degrees of potty.
Northern Ireland and Scotland are at the bottom, although we had injuries to key midfielders that's no excuse. Wales are little better two decent players all the rest journeymen. England i think we have seen this movie before, scoring then thinking the opposition is just going to roll over and take a pasting, opposition equalize then PANIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! all inept.

Never seen one of these before.

Well, in the long run teams like Scotland, N-Ireland and Wales cant compete with England. Small countries, weak leagues and simply not enough players to choose from.
I guess a "British Team" would be quite strong, but who wants a united British Football Team ? :rolleyes:
Any thoughts about it ?
Havent heard about the Footbonaut before and I doubt that this helps increasing player skills significantly.
Football isnt a science....:rolleyes:

Tomorrow is good Friday so "Happy Easter" or A' Chàisg sona to you guys and your families. ;)

I have to hurry now, flight from LHR to HAM leaves at 6.15 and I have to check the Duty Free Shops to find Cadbury Cream Eggs.... ;)

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
Well, in the long run teams like Scotland, N-Ireland and Wales cant compete with England. Small countries, weak leagues and simply not enough players to choose from.
I guess a "British Team" would be quite strong, but who wants a united British Football Team ? :rolleyes:
Any thoughts about it ?
Havent heard about the Footbonaut before and I doubt that this helps increasing player skills significantly.
Football isnt a science....:rolleyes:

Tomorrow is good Friday so "Happy Easter" or A' Chàisg sona to you guys and your families. ;)

I have to hurry now, flight from LHR to HAM leaves at 6.15 and I have to check the Duty Free Shops to find Cadbury Cream Eggs.... ;)

I think they can (in theory) because Croatia are of a similar size and they always do well. In practice its different though, the set-ups are clearly wrong as the talent just is not there. But the Croats manage it they always have a good side.

Team Britannia? not for me, id rather lose as Scotland (and believe me i'm used to it) instead of winning as a GB entity any day.

Cant believe this! he was a fantastic player but he is an idiot for not introducing this. Going by the same logic lets get rid of all the players because they are too expensive.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21970741

Hope you find some Eggs get a few they aint expensive, indeed A' Chàisg sona! to all and remember why we celebrate it.;)

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think they can (in theory) because Croatia are of a similar size and they always do well. In practice its different though, the set-ups are clearly wrong as the talent just is not there. But the Croats manage it they always have a good side.

Team Britannia? not for me, id rather lose as Scotland (and believe me i'm used to it) instead of winning as a GB entity any day.

Cant believe this! he was a fantastic player but he is an idiot for not introducing this. Going by the same logic lets get rid of all the players because they are too expensive.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21970741

Hope you find some Eggs get a few they aint expensive, indeed A' Chàisg sona! to all and remember why we celebrate it.;)

Hmm, thats right didnt think about Croatia and that they are quite compareable with Scotland or Wales.
But then we have to ask why there is no or not enough talent in Scotland or Wales and what is Croatia doing better ?

PackerFan71, what else can a true Scotsman saying about this ? I didnt expect anything different :D;)
I am sure English or Welsh football fans feel the same.

Thats a strange view by Platini, because the CL is a huge business and 56 m EUR over five years do not sound unaffordable.
But do we really need this technology ? I am torn between allowing goal line technology because it prevents from perhaps wrong game-winning or game-changing decisions and my wish to keep football as it is.
But in this case not introducing the technology because of the costs is ridiculous.

Yepp, found them and much more Cadbury Chocolate to take home...:rolleyes: ;)

Btw - as a little surprise for my wife I got tickets for Amy McDonald in Hamburg.
Hope the weather will be fine because its an open air gig.
http://www.amymacdonald.co.uk/gb/news/2013-03-25/amy_to_perform_in_germany_this_august/

Whats going on in the EPL this weekend ?
No games today in Germany because no events of any kind are allowed on Good Friday.
Chelsea at Southampton sounds like a win for Chelsea ?!
Ross County against Kilmarnock ? Your prediction ?

Wolf Packer, the League table still doesnt look good for the Wolves, looks like they need wins and points soon as 38 games are already played though the March results werent bad.
Tough game against Middlesbrough, I cross my fingers for three points !

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
Hmm, thats right didnt think about Croatia and that they are quite compareable with Scotland or Wales.
But then we have to ask why there is no or not enough talent in Scotland or Wales and what is Croatia doing better ?

PackerFan71, what else can a true Scotsman saying about this ? I didnt expect anything different :D;)
I am sure English or Welsh football fans feel the same.

Thats a strange view by Platini, because the CL is a huge business and 56 m EUR over five years do not sound unaffordable.
But do we really need this technology ? I am torn between allowing goal line technology because it prevents from perhaps wrong game-winning or game-changing decisions and my wish to keep football as it is.
But in this case not introducing the technology because of the costs is ridiculous.

Yepp, found them and much more Cadbury Chocolate to take home...:rolleyes: ;)

Btw - as a little surprise for my wife I got tickets for Amy McDonald in Hamburg.
Hope the weather will be fine because its an open air gig.
http://www.amymacdonald.co.uk/gb/news/2013-03-25/amy_to_perform_in_germany_this_august/

Whats going on in the EPL this weekend ?
No games today in Germany because no events of any kind are allowed on Good Friday.
Chelsea at Southampton sounds like a win for Chelsea ?!
Ross County against Kilmarnock ? Your prediction ?

Wolf Packer, the League table still doesnt look good for the Wolves, looks like they need wins and points soon as 38 games are already played though the March results werent bad.
Tough game against Middlesbrough, I cross my fingers for three points !

I think Croatia have got a number of things right, more hunger for the game, more natural talent and better coaching.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21976588

Ask any English or Welsh fan and they would quite rightly say the same, its only non football types such as Sepp Blatter that want a GB football team.:sneaky:

*As far as i can see you either bite the bullet and commit to the technology or you risk the inevitable human error. The next time there is a disputed goal in the CL Final Platini will be feeling like an idiot.
*Big games only though

Ahh nice you found some, that should keep you going for a bit.:tup:

Sounds like a good gig, shes excellent. Open air in August? yeah should be just fine.;)

Yes CFC are at Southampton tomorrow should be a win even for Benitez, :cautious: tricky for County Killie are no pushovers ill play safe and go for a draw.

Guess who has been poking around his old Manor.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...rank-Lampard-wants-Jose-Mourinho-Chelsea.html

Members online

Latest posts