EPL and British Football

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
Another weekend with intersting results, Arsenal lost against Swansea and the Hammers beat Chelsea 3-1. :eek:
I can't believe it, it's even getting worse for Chelsea.
Well, doesn't look like Rafa Benitez will be Chelsea coach until the end of the season if it goes on like this...

I have written off this season already to be honest, the sooner Benitez leaves the better for all concerned. Jose Mourinho is my choice to come back home to the Bridge once Real get bored with him.
I'm not a conspiracy theorist but this made me laugh. :)
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have written off this season already to be honest, the sooner Benitez leaves the better for all concerned. Jose Mourinho is my choice to come back home to the Bridge once Real get bored with him.
I'm not a conspiracy theorist but this made me laugh. :)

If Real does not win a title this season he could be available soon ;)
For how long did they sign Benitez ?

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
As far as i know its until the end of the league season.
Ah, that's good. So it shouldnt be very expensive to sack him before the end of the season if the results are not getting better. ;)
But I'm wondering who had the idea to sign him for Chelsea ? :rolleyes:
Abramovich himself ?

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
Ah, that's good. So it shouldnt be very expensive to sack him before the end of the season if the results are not getting better. ;)
But I'm wondering who had the idea to sign him for Chelsea ? :rolleyes:
Abramovich himself ?

The buck stops with Abramovich his decision, typically there is no real thought in panic situations. A bad fit.

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good news fickle Real's loss, id be really pleased if he came back. But im a realist its Abramovich we are dealing with here, and i think he still wants Pep Guadiola to to come and make Chelsea play like Barca.:rolleyes: But i live in hope its Mourinho, its who the fans want.
Well I think in the first place Abramovich wants success and if Mourinho is available he should be smart enough to sign him immediately because he knows Mourinho at least guarentees another championship for Chelsea.
And Pep will be signed by Hamburg and we will dominate European football at least for 10 years :D
Just dreamin' ....:sleep: :rolleyes:

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
Well I think in the first place Abramovich wants success and if Mourinho is available he should be smart enough to sign him immediately because he knows Mourinho at least guarentees another championship for Chelsea.
And Pep will be signed by Hamburg and we will dominate European football at least for 10 years :D
Just dreamin' ....:sleep: :rolleyes:

Mourinho would have a massive clear out all the deadwood would be gone very quickly, no messing around with him in that department. Ha live the dream! get yourselves a cuddly Billionaire and it might happen.;)

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Question ; Why are the Chelsea fans boo-ing Torres? It looks to me like he's a talented player.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
Question ; Why are the Chelsea fans boo-ing Torres? It looks to me like he's a talented player.

Torres was a great player when at Liverpool, and he's still pretty good. But he used to score for fun he's not anywhere near that since he joined Chelsea, and to be honest his form at Liverpool tailed off also. The fans have been very patient with him but he's not the player he was. Also add the Benitez Liverpool link to the mix and some fickle idiots are always going to boo at him.

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Torres was a great player when at Liverpool, and he's still pretty good. But he used to score for fun he's not anywhere near that since he joined Chelsea, and to be honest his form at Liverpool tailed off also. The fans have been very patient with him but he's not the player he was. Also add the Benitez Liverpool link to the mix and some fickle idiots are always going to boo at him.
But he scored again , even twice today. But sometimes player and club simply do not fit together.
Important win for Chelsea today, maybe it's getting better from now on, despite Benitez ? :tup: ;)

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
But he scored again , even twice today. But sometimes player and club simply do not fit together.
Important win for Chelsea today, maybe it's getting better from now on, even with Benitez ? :tup: ;)

That's very true, he got two today fantastic, i hope he keeps scoring constantly now but i would not bet on it. My expectations for the season are at a default low level, i'm a realist but i still hope we win the league.;)

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
Croak having watched the Sunderland v Chelsea game highlights i think all the boo's that greeted the Torres penalty were from the home Sunderland fans not the Chelsea ones, the Sunderland fans were just annoyed with the decision to give the spot kick. It was the right decision, in fact Chelsea should also have had another earlier in the game when Hazard was fouled in the box but that was not given.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Croak having watched the Sunderland v Chelsea game highlights i think all the boo's that greeted the Torres penalty were from the home Sunderland fans not the Chelsea ones, the Sunderland fans were just annoyed with the decision to give the spot kick. It was the right decision, in fact Chelsea should also have had another earlier in the game when Hazard was fouled in the box but that was not given.

Ah, that explains it. For some reason I thought Chelsea was home.

MackemPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Yeah, I'm a Sunderland fan and was at the game, we were booing the referee. Although that decision was correct, he was generally terrible.

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm a Sunderland fan and was at the game, we were booing the referee. Although that decision was correct, he was generally terrible.

Suffice to say that the vast majority of them don't cut it, pub sunday league standard.

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
As I wrote before we are facing discussions about new safety rules in German stadiums.
Today I read an interview with Kevin Miles, Director of FSF talking about The Premiere League and English football culture ("Kicker Sportmagazin", 10.12.)
He's a Magpies fan.

Some statements or informations I find interesting:

- England has no problems with bengal fires because there are no Ultras in England.
He assumes that this has to do with the fact that English/British fans are more interested to see what happens on the pitch instead celebrating themselves. :tup:

- Tickets have become too expensive, therefore the average age for a Premiere Leage Season ticket holder increased from 35 (1995) to 45 today. Young people cant afford to buy tickets anymore.

- The Premiere League atmosphere is worse compared to other European leagues.
He suggests to bring back the fans from the upper tier to the lower tier closer to the pitch.

- After Hillsborough Policemen were reduced and nowadays Stewards take care of the fans in the stadium and it works. (=> In my opinion this wouldnt work in German stadiums)

- Tickets for away fans are not personalised, he says that would lead to decreasing attendance numbers. (=> discussed in Germany at the moment)

- most of us German fans thought that alcohol isnt sold at Premiere League stadiums (me too ;) ) but Kevin Miles says sure they do. But you are not allowed to take your beer with you to your seat.

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
As I wrote before we are facing discussions about new safety rules in German stadiums.
Today I read an interview with Kevin Miles, Director of FSF talking about The Premiere League and English football culture ("Kicker Sportmagazin", 10.12.)
He's a Magpies fan.

Some statements or informations I find interesting:

- England has no problems with bengal fires because there are no Ultras in England.
He assumes that this has to do with the fact that English/British fans are more interested to see what happens on the pitch instead celebrating themselves. :tup:

- Tickets have become too expensive, therefore the average age for a Premiere Leage Season ticket holder increased from 35 (1995) to 45 today. Young people cant afford to buy tickets anymore.

- The Premiere League atmosphere is worse compared to other European leagues.
He suggests to bring back the fans from the upper tier to the lower tier closer to the pitch.

- After Hillsborough Policemen were reduced and nowadays Stewards take care of the fans in the stadium and it works. (=> In my opinion this wouldnt work in German stadiums)

- Tickets for away fans are not personalised, he says that would lead to decreasing attendance numbers. (=> discussed in Germany at the moment)

- most of us German fans thought that alcohol isnt sold at Premiere League stadiums (me too ;) ) but Kevin Miles says sure they do. But you are not allowed to take your beer with you to your seat.

A couple of teams have fan groups called Ultras but they are a bit like parodies of the mainland europeans, however main fan groups are no less committed to their teams than those on the continent that's a cultural thing perhaps.

Atmosphere this is my main gripe, the Prawn Cocktail Brigade (New rich fake fans*) have come in. And the working class atmosphere of old is a bit thin on the ground now, certainly in the upper reaches of the Premier. Bringing the fans from the cheap seats down to the bottom is a great idea, but it wont be allowed by the clubs their called the cheap seats for a reason.

Yep the stewards are now for the most part the cops in florescent yellow now in the stadiums, this would have been impossible about 25 years ago. The police have a much lower profile since those sad 80s events, but they are still very much in control and large scale hooliganism has all but been stopped.

In Scotland no drunks allowed, no alcohol allowed either in the stadium this is because of the big pitch riot after the Rangers v Celtic 1980 cup final. England is perhaps different with its alcohol rules im not sure.

*"Prawn Sandwich Man"

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
A couple of teams have fan groups called Ultras but they are a bit like parodies of the mainland europeans, however main fan groups are no less committed to their teams than those on the continent that's a cultural thing perhaps.

Atmosphere this is my main gripe, the Prawn Cocktail Brigade (New rich fake fans*) have come in. And the working class atmosphere of old is a bit thin on the ground now, certainly in the upper reaches of the Premier. Bringing the fans from the cheap seats down to the bottom is a great idea, but it wont be allowed by the clubs their called the cheap seats for a reason.

Yep the stewards are now for the most part the cops in florescent yellow now in the stadiums, this would have been impossible about 25 years ago. The police have a much lower profile since those sad 80s events, but they are still very much in control and large scale hooliganism has all but been stopped.

In Scotland no drunks allowed, no alcohol allowed either in the stadium this is because of the big pitch riot after the Rangers v Celtic 1980 cup final. England is perhaps different with its alcohol rules im not sure.

*"Prawn Sandwich Man"

Well, at my tender age I dont need all this Ultra stuff. ;)
I am visiting football matches since the 80`s and we survived even those dark days of football without Ultras, without bengal fires and black dressed kiddies.

Of course we do have "Prawn Cocktail Brigades" :) and bandwagoners as well and I dont like them but perhaps this is the price we have to pay for our modern and clean stadiums and affordable ticket prices.

Btw- after massive fan protests HSV will end the contract with ticket reseller viagogo.
But they will raise the prices for season tickets instead, I think this is an acceptable compromise....
http://www.hsv.de/en/season/meldungen/bundesliga/december-2012/hsv-end-contract-with-viagogo/[/quote]

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
Well, at my tender age I dont need all this Ultra stuff. ;)
I am visiting football matches since the 80`s and we survived even those dark days of football without Ultras, without bengal fires and black dressed kiddies.

Of course we do have "Prawn Cocktail Brigades" :) and bandwagoners as well and I dont like them but perhaps this is the price we have to pay for our modern and clean stadiums and affordable ticket prices.

Btw- after massive fan protests HSV will end the contract with ticket reseller viagogo.
But they will raise the prices for season tickets instead, I think this is an acceptable compromise....
http://www.hsv.de/en/season/meldungen/bundesliga/december-2012/hsv-end-contract-with-viagogo/

Yeah time and a place for that, haven't they got a back yard or some waste ground for all that malarkey?;) Much more of a lets get on with the game vibe in the UK.
If a fan can't tell what year a particular replica kit is from he/she isn't a real fan. Try this one time on a suspect.:)
Hope the new prices are ok and that they keep it at that level for a number of years, take no nonsense from them.

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah time and a place for that, haven't they got a back yard or some waste ground for all that malarkey?;) Much more of a lets get on with the game vibe in the UK.
If a fan can't tell what year a particular replica kit is from he/she isn't a real fan. Try this one time on a suspect.:)
Hope the new prices are ok and that they keep it at that level for a number of years, take no nonsense from them.

Damn right, because of them we have to face a new security concept and rules now.
Today all professional football clubs met in Frankfurt.
http://www.hsv.de/en/season/meldung...2012/clubs-in-favour-of-dfl-security-concept/
http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/...-league-agree-tighter-security-144501590.html
They are now allowed to reduce the ticket share for away clubs (10 %) if the home club calls a game a "high risk game".
Will be interesting to see what happens when Hamburg plays Bremen for example.
But the clubs are also forced by Politicians, especially the Home Secretaries of the Federal States. They threaten the clubs to charge them for the cost of the police forces on game days if they wont agree on new safety rules.
I expect more protests next gameday.

Ticket prices will be 10 % higher than this season....thats O.K., my season ticket will be roundabout 380 Euros.

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
Damn right, because of them we have to face a new security concept and rules now.
Today all professional football clubs met in Frankfurt.
http://www.hsv.de/en/season/meldung...2012/clubs-in-favour-of-dfl-security-concept/
http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/...-league-agree-tighter-security-144501590.html
They are now allowed to reduce the ticket share for away clubs (10 %) if the home club calls a game a "high risk game".
Will be interesting to see what happens when Hamburg plays Bremen for example.
But the clubs are also forced by Politicians, especially the Home Secretaries of the Federal States. They threaten the clubs to charge them for the cost of the police forces on game days if they wont agree on new safety rules.
I expect more protests next gameday.

Ticket prices will be 10 % higher than this season....thats O.K., my season ticket will be roundabout 380 Euros.

To be honest with you if i had any say in the matter i would play hardball with them, and say no pyros no young kids dressed up in black asbestos suits either. Regarding the violence the supporters could be banned from attending games unless the trouble stops, their has to be consequences for their actions. All of this in Scotland and England is now a thing of the past thankfully due to better police control and surveillance of the thugs.

380 Euros is about £308 thats pretty good value for a season of top class football.:tup: in comparison Chelsea's cheapest is around 735 Euros £595 in the Family stand.:eek:

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
Well, thats sad.
I thought he could retire as a Chelsea player :(

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...his-days-at-Chelsea-are-coming-to-an-end.html
Players like Lampard are rare nowadays where most players dont care for the club they are playing.
As long they are paid they play for every club, disgusting but thats the way it is.
Lampard is different and thats why I always liked him.

I know, i wish that he will be allowed to stay for his loyal service to the blues, its not going to happen though a real shame. His mother died in 2008 he got huge support from the club and most importantly the fans. There is not many like him in the game anymore, he once accidentally knocked over a kid on a bike with his car. Didn't care about the dent on the car, he made sure the kid was ok. And then gave him all the money for a brand new bike. Total class human being. His dad played leftback (551 apps) for West Ham Frank (senior) do you remember him at all?

Latest posts