EPL and British Football

Sandolf

Blue Moon Rising
Reaction score
Easy Leeds United massive club great history, huge fanbase. They should be in the Premiership instead of the likes of Crystal Palace and a few of the other smaller alsorans.

I am just wondering if $200 mil. is enough budget. That is why I set my sights considerably lower.

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
I am just wondering if $200 mil. is enough budget. That is why I set my sights considerably lower.

You would need more than that in the long run, but that would do to get them up in the bigtime. Its ridiculous they are in the championship. The Arabs should have bought them instead of Man City.

Sandolf

Blue Moon Rising
Reaction score
You would need more than that in the long run, but that would do to get them up in the bigtime. Its ridiculous they are in the championship. The Arabs should have bought them instead of Man City.

Perhaps... but you look at things from a footballing perspective... (which I like, but pertains less to the Abu Dhabi Group). Manchester City FC was bought to be a sort of talisman supporting their Emirates' global brand. Even the name Manchester has a huge global recognition factor just based on the Rags being there. Garry Cook was to use his Nike experience to support this branding. When he developed foot in mouth disease he was quickly dispatched. Even Mancini's antics were considered too negative.

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
Perhaps... but you look at things from a footballing perspective... (which I like, but pertains less to the Abu Dhabi Group). Manchester City FC was bought to be a sort of talisman supporting their Emirates' global brand. Even the name Manchester has a huge global recognition factor just based on the Rags being there. Garry Cook was to use his Nike experience to support this branding. When he developed foot in mouth disease he was quickly dispatched. Even Mancini's antics were considered too negative.

Yeah well im old school in that department i like it more that way, :) kind of like the German Leagues where the big clubs are run by Football people and the fans have a say in things instead of being a faceless multinational.

Sandolf

Blue Moon Rising
Reaction score
Yeah well im old school in that department i like it more that way, :) kind of like the German Leagues where the big clubs are run by Football people and the fans have a say in things instead of being a faceless multinational.

(post 100 is dedicated to FC Bayern / MCFC)

Better a "faceless' benevolent than the mugs of the likes of the Hoeness, Rummenigge and Beckenbauer Mafia. They rob the other clubs blind and claim a disadvantage behind the likes of MCFC. It is not all gold that glitters.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
(post 100 is dedicated to FC Bayern / MCFC)

Better a "faceless' benevolent than the mugs of the likes of the Hoeness, Rummenigge and Beckenbauer Mafia. They rob the other clubs blind and claim a disadvantage behind the likes of MCFC. It is not all gold that glitters.

Hey now hey now. Don't be callin' Bayern the Mafia, or I'll send Uncle Gino and the boys after ya. :whistling:

Sandolf

Blue Moon Rising
Reaction score
Hey now hey now. Don't be callin' Bayern the Mafia, or I'll send Uncle Gino and the boys after ya. :whistling:

I lived in Munich for a couple of years... (which preceded my time in Hamburg). There are great Italian restaurants there... (no doubt influenced by the fact Italy is not far away).

(il Pappagallo in Neubiberg is worth a try if you are over there)

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
As much as i cant stand Bayern i respect them, they have football men in charge for the most part instead of accountants. They do what all the big fish do in the leagues the world over..............buy the opposition.

Sandolf

Blue Moon Rising
Reaction score
As much as i cant stand Bayern i respect them, they have football men in charge for the most part instead of accountants. They do what all the big fish do in the leagues the world over..............buy the opposition.

Precisely. But it is sad to see a club with a fan base the size of BVB having to compete in the role of a seller. That is why I dispute that the Bundesliga model is better.

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
Precisely. But it is sad to see a club with a fan base the size of BVB having to compete in the role of a seller. That is why I dispute that the Bundesliga model is better.

I'm no expert on the financial side of things in German football, but i imagine by fanbase name and commercial rights thats how all the other teams are playing perpetual catchup.

Sandolf

Blue Moon Rising
Reaction score
I'm no expert on the financial side of things in German football, but i imagine by fanbase name and commercial rights thats how all the other teams are playing perpetual catchup.

I am no expert either. My point is that the community owned club concept does not create what is perceived to be the more level playing field. BVB has done a good job of buying cheap and selling high. They survive on identifying the Kagawa's of this world.

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Forest do have alot of fans yes, home and away. Actually they're ranked 3rd in the highest average away support this season, behind Leeds and Wolves (us, even though we're in the 3rd tier of England ;) ).

For me though, it'd have to be Portsmouth, very passionate and noisy fanbase, commutable from South London, won the FA Cup only 5 or 6yrs ago. Not only that, they would only have to look over the road at Southampton to see how to build a team from top to bottom, invest heavily in youth and have the experienced heads around them.
Pompey ? Sounds like a good idea but I assume they are not on sale at the moment as they are now owned by their
fans. ;)
And Leeds, as suggested by PackerFan71, seems to have a lot of potential too. I dont know why, but I always thought that Leeds is one of the most hated teams in UK...?:cautious::D

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
Pompey ? Sounds like a good idea but I assume they are not on sale at the moment as they are now owned by their
fans. ;)
And Leeds, as suggested by PackerFan71, seems to have a lot of potential too. I dont know why, but I always thought that Leeds is one of the most hated teams in UK...?:cautious::D

As a Chelsea fan i should hate them but i dont, but they were hated Nessie. Don Revie era any way ''Dirty Leeds'' because they were almost cruel to weaker teams and pushed things to the very limits on the pitch.
Edit :
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Last edited:

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
It depends what is most important to you. We had this discussion here before - just take ticket prices for example. They are still affordable in Germany. My two season tickets for HSV are 360 Euros each, that means roundabout 22 Euros per home game, thats affordable. The cheapest season ticket for the standing area is about 180 Euros or 11 Euros per game. German stadiums are modern, quite new and well-attended.
Personally very important to me - no mess with profit oriented owners who might think about changing the club crest or even team colors if it could help the marketing department to sell the "product" better.
Just think of "Hull City Tigers" or Cardiff, well known as the Bluebirds, and whose owner decided to change the team colors to red - ridiculous. :rolleyes:
Btw- to me Football is not a product, its part of our culture !
I know, this may sound weird if you are growing up in a professional sports system like in the USA where all is nothing but business.
And no doubt that the EPL is the largest market and most popular football/soccer league in the world, but its not the most successful league anymore. Clubs are heavily indebted, ticket prices are nearly unaffordable and the National team is mediocre or even less.

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
I lived in Munich for a couple of years... (which preceded my time in Hamburg). There are great Italian restaurants there... (no doubt influenced by the fact Italy is not far away).

(il Pappagallo in Neubiberg is worth a try if you are over there)
O.K...Munich, Hamburg, Schwarzwald/Stuttgart area...where else did you live in Germany, Sandolf ? :cautious:;)

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
As a Chelsea fan i should hate them but i dont, but they were hated Nessie. Don Revie era any way ''Dirty Leeds'' because they were almost cruel to weaker teams and pushed things to the very limits on the pitch.
Edit :
Looks like they had a very good team these days, nice video ;)

Sandolf

Blue Moon Rising
Reaction score
O.K...Munich, Hamburg, Schwarzwald/Stuttgart area...where else did you live in Germany, Sandolf ? :cautious:;)

Duesseldorf - Unterbach, Frechen - Koenigsdorf, Erftstadt - Erp. I was also in Luxembourg, but that of course does not count in the context of your question.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Well, Augsburg's gameplan today could have been called, "trip 'em to beat 'em." Unfortunately for them it didn't work, but it did take Robben out of the game with a nasty scissors trip.

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Duesseldorf - Unterbach, Frechen - Koenigsdorf, Erftstadt - Erp. I was also in Luxembourg, but that of course does not count in the context of your question.
Stuttgart, Munich, Cologne(Frechen), Dusseldorf, Hamburg - not bad Sandolf :tup:
Luxembourg is nice too.
Where did you like it most?
Except Munich I've worked and lived (during the week) in all of these cities too because my company (large publishing house) has branches everywhere in Germany.

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
I respect the views in your manifesto sir.
The cultural thing sounds a little melodramatic, I know, but as you have lived in Germany you know that you couldnt move the FC Bayern from Munich to Nuremberg or Regensburg or just change their team colors from red to yellow. Doesnt work in Germany, "fussball" is our sacred cow ;)

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, Augsburg's gameplan today could have been called, "trip 'em to beat 'em." Unfortunately for them it didn't work, but it did take Robben out of the game with a nasty scissors trip.
Yeah, unfortunately they even didnt get a penalty because it was already offside before the foul happened.

Just saw that the EPL had a gameday today.:eek:
Chelsea with a 4-3 win at Sunderland :tup:, Manu lost at home against Everton and Arsenal still on top of the table. Unfortunately Jol was sacked by Fulham, still think he is a good manager, would like to see him in Hamburg again one day.

Sandolf

Blue Moon Rising
Reaction score
Stuttgart, Munich, Cologne(Frechen), Dusseldorf, Hamburg - not bad Sandolf :tup:
Luxembourg is nice too.
Where did you like it most?
Except Munich I've worked and lived (during the week) in all of these cities too because my company (large publishing house) has branches everywhere in Germany.

I had a little during the week use flat in Frankfurt am Main for a time as well. I did a few trips to the Waldstadion from there... (to see FC St. P..... and others).

Where did I like it most? (this is going to sound patronizing... but)... Hamburg. Norddeutschland is great. I was earning a civil servant's wage at the NDR, which I more than doubled by entering into RTL territory. I should have stayed doing my humble work in Lokstedt. Hindsight is 20/20.

---
...edit... oops... This may have sounded a bit indicrete if you have anything to do with Bertlesmann.

Last edited:

Sandolf

Blue Moon Rising
Reaction score
Unfortunately Jol was sacked by Fulham, still think he is a good manager, would like to see him in Hamburg again one day.

I always enjoy when the Dutch guys do the interviews. It is a great dialect.

Sandolf

Blue Moon Rising
Reaction score
Doesnt work in Germany, "fussball" is our sacred cow ;)

To be fair sir... there are sacred cows in the U.K. as well. If you are not familiar with the story of how FC Wimbledon became the Milton Keynes (MK) Dons... and how AFC Wimbledon rose up out of those ashes... it is worth a look.

Members online

Latest posts