Elvis Dummervil

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
Many of us think there is a vast middle between the high priced FAs and nothing/nada/zip where a reasonably priced starter or some depth could be procured.

From some reactions around here every time FA is mentioned, it's hard to believe that.

Packer Fan in SD

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Recent signings show that unless there is a bidding war, the starting price for Doom would be about $6 mil. per. Notice I said "starting price", I know some on here jump the gun and read about one of every three words.

Packer Fan in SD

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As far as us never signing anyone, not true. As far as TT being a tightwad or cheap, not true. There are very many other teams that have spent less, some much less than us over the TT tenure. We just don't blow it on Albert Haynesworth type players. We will be spending the most money on any player soon, on the best ( or one of the top two or three) in the very near future. Adding to that soon after a top contract for the Claymaker.

I ask anyone here to answer... What teams have bought a top player, at top price, and won the SB in the last ten years? Every year I read how we missed this guy and that. So when has "this guy and that guy" won anything?

H

HardRightEdge

I ask anyone here to answer... What teams have bought a top player, at top price, and won the SB in the last ten years? Every year I read how we missed this guy and that. So when has "this guy and that guy" won anything?

We've been over the Breer quote at length elsewhere. I submitted 2 names off the top of my head: Charles Woodson and Drew Brees. Others tried to data mine those two away by narrowing the criteria into oblivion. Breer was shooting from the hip on Twitter...and it bounces around the echo chamber.

I am explaining, not endorsing, unless stated otherwise. Actually, that would make a good signature line.

Packer Fan in SD

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Long day for me, so I am not sure if your agreeing or disagreeing, but living here in San Diego, having watched Brees play against the Badgers for years, I loved when he came to San Diego. When he left, there were only two teams after him. He was seen as damaged goods. It was not first or second day Free agency madness. It was Miami or New Orleans. they were the only two teams interested, at least publicly. I was amazed that SD drafted Manning and then traded for Rivers. But Brees is the oranges to the apples discussed here. He turned out great, but if he had not had the injury, he would have been one of the top money guys that year. AJ just wanted his own guys. Thank goodness that ***** is gone, 3 years (at least) too late.

Packer Fan in SD

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Many of us think there is a vast middle between the high priced FAs and nothing/nada/zip where a reasonably priced starter or some depth could be procured.

I agree. We are not the type of team to go after the highest priced guys. Rarely do they make the difference. But we do like to wait and go after the mid priced depth, role player type guys. Then we draft, we keep and we like to reward our developed players. We actually get a lot of free agents. Just not the high priced ones.

H

HardRightEdge

I agree. We are not the type of team to go after the highest priced guys. Rarely do they make the difference. But we do like to wait and go after the mid priced depth, role player type guys. Then we draft, we keep and we like to reward our developed players. We actually get a lot of free agents. Just not the high priced ones.

That's not quite what I'm saying. Career underachievers and problem children picked up on a flyer for the vet minimum is just diddling at the edges. I really don't care if TT indulges in Merling-type pickups or not.

I'm thinking about Canty-type players at a Canty-like cost, health permitting.

It's funny, after TT stops talking to the guy, the conversation reverts back to "we can't afford FAs; they don't help; it's not what TT does", forgetting he was just talking to one. Was it because he's lonely and wants some out of town company?

Canty and S. Jax are not the only starting quality players at a reasonable price that would have been or could be upgrades. But those guys are disappearing day by day. All I'm looking for at this point is one starter at DE or S, but since the few available prototype 3-4 DEs were few and now gone, I'll settle for a safety. Just one position to take pressure off the draft. It is a humble desire.

What's Huff asking for? Or is TT at his annual southern California trip for Pro Days and sunshine?

Packer Fan in SD

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Huff isn't a huge contract. There is time to work on that if the thinking is he has something to offer. FA season is not finished. Only the highest paid players have signed so far. The reason we are contenders most years is because we do a better job than most using the limited cap room. We don't over pay for players other teams let go. Not sure why you want T.Jax... Unless your talking S.Jax... In which case, he could be a good addition, but is old, in rb terms. Many miles on those tires. Canty, knee issues. Maybe not 100%.
I am pretty happy we are not one of the teams that tries to buy other teams castoffs and get a year or two of competitiveness, instead we draft, sign and develop our own and make the playoffs most every year. Just like the Steelers, Patriots and Giants. Not like Dallas, Philly or any other team in the north. Bears signed a lot of other teams players, how is that going? Vikes sign anyone we let go. Nice, how that is working out. And the Lions... Well, no more needs to be said. By the way, speaking of Brees, one SB, and then what? Although TT did try to fill the void left by Jenkins with Hargrove, until the NFL announced the 8 game suspension last year. And I would offer up we suffered more from losing Nick Collins than Jenkins. But that doesn't make as good of gossip as we lost a player to more money than we thought he was worth.

How are the Iggles doing? Jest's? Cowpokes? Bears? Lions? Vikes? Redskins? Even the Broncos did no better this year with Manning than they did with Tebow in the playoffs. And now they are losing players. Same with the Ravens, 49'ers... The beat goes on.

I will be much happier making the playoffs nearly every year, always contending, than making one big payroll push, then rebuilding for several years through high draft choice lottery. I remember the 70's and 80's. finally we got RW to teach us how to use every aspect of the rules. Now the rules are different. We are adapting. Learning. Still winning.

When that knee starts to jerk... Ignore it. We want to be winners for the long run, not just for this year. Enjoy the run. But stop with all the "we didn't't get this guy for $40 mil guarranted" crap. It is a loser game.

The Saints got a bargain in Brees at about $10 mil a year. Now he is so highly paid they had to cut a bunch of guys and they look like crap. Their problem is much more than losing their coach for a year. As Brady has gone up in pay, the Pats have been competitive but not won anything in years. We very well may go the same route, but if we are to overpay, it will be in Rodgers and CM III not in a rb over his prime, a de that is coming off injury or some bum that has had his best years behind him.

H

HardRightEdge

Huff isn't a huge contract. There is time to work on that if the thinking is he has something to offer. FA season is not finished. Only the highest paid players have signed so far. The reason we are contenders most years is because we do a better job than most using the limited cap room. We don't over pay for players other teams let go. Not sure why you want T.Jax... Unless your talking S.Jax... In which case, he could be a good addition, but is old, in rb terms. Many miles on those tires. Canty, knee issues. Maybe not 100%.
I am pretty happy we are not one of the teams that tries to buy other teams castoffs and get a year or two of competitiveness, instead we draft, sign and develop our own and make the playoffs most every year. Just like the Steelers, Patriots and Giants. Not like Dallas, Philly or any other team in the north. Bears signed a lot of other teams players, how is that going? Vikes sign anyone we let go. Nice, how that is working out. And the Lions... Well, no more needs to be said. By the way, speaking of Brees, one SB, and then what? Although TT did try to fill the void left by Jenkins with Hargrove, until the NFL announced the 8 game suspension last year. And I would offer up we suffered more from losing Nick Collins than Jenkins. But that doesn't make as good of gossip as we lost a player to more money than we thought he was worth.

How are the Iggles doing? Jest's? Cowpokes? Bears? Lions? Vikes? Redskins? Even the Broncos did no better this year with Manning than they did with Tebow in the playoffs. And now they are losing players. Same with the Ravens, 49'ers... The beat goes on.

I will be much happier making the playoffs nearly every year, always contending, than making one big payroll push, then rebuilding for several years through high draft choice lottery. I remember the 70's and 80's. finally we got RW to teach us how to use every aspect of the rules. Now the rules are different. We are adapting. Learning. Still winning.

When that knee starts to jerk... Ignore it. We want to be winners for the long run, not just for this year. Enjoy the run. But stop with all the "we didn't't get this guy for $40 mil guarranted" crap. It is a loser game.

The Saints got a bargain in Brees at about $10 mil a year. Now he is so highly paid they had to cut a bunch of guys and they look like crap. Their problem is much more than losing their coach for a year. As Brady has gone up in pay, the Pats have been competitive but not won anything in years. We very well may go the same route, but if we are to overpay, it will be in Rodgers and CM III not in a rb over his prime, a de that is coming off injury or some bum that has had his best years behind him.

I guess you're replying to me. To repeat, I'm interested in seeing one moderately priced starter. The tired lecture on "building through the draft" and avoiding the Dream Team mentality has nothing to do with what I proposed.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess you're replying to me. To repeat, I'm interested in seeing one moderately priced starter. The tired lecture on "building through the draft" and avoiding the Dream Team mentality has nothing to do with what I proposed.

I don't see that many starters out there that could be had for a reasonable price that fit in our system. I see alot of overpaid guys along with players that are not an upgrade

Packer Fan in SD

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Again, not sure why you think I am disagreeing. I think we will get someone now that the frenzy has happened. But this first week is mostly just that. A frenzy. A lot of overpriced guys. Now comes the good part. Finding potential or real starters, just not with a ton of guarranted money and not putting us in sal cap hell for a few years. This is where the value comes in. Not in paying a receiver $9 mil per, or getting caught up in a bidding war for someone to get a name.

The "building through the draft" and avoiding the "Dream Team" is where the next part of the process works for a team like us, with no billionaire backing us. I get that many on here hate hearing it, but in reality, other than a few years we are a playoff team most of the time over a long period. Look at the very successful teams over time and you will see they use solid decision making. Even the new contenders, the 49's have lost much more than they gained this offseason. When your successful, teams take from you and you have to be smart in how you build your team.

I am lost at how fans can think we can go out and pay huge contracts to FA's and still be competitive every year. Look around. It just doesn't work. Whether you like to hear it or not, the system in place keeps us in contention for the playoffs every year for the most part. Once in, anything can happen. There is no perfect team. 49'ers were the team from last year that was going to be unstoppable this year, better QB, better d, better everything. They still have no Lombardies since the last millennium. And again they have lost more than they gained. That is how the NFL is set up.

H

HardRightEdge

Again, not sure why you think I am disagreeing. I think we will get someone now that the frenzy has happened. But this first week is mostly just that. A frenzy. A lot of overpriced guys. Now comes the good part. Finding potential or real starters, just not with a ton of guarranted money and not putting us in sal cap hell for a few years. This is where the value comes in. Not in paying a receiver $9 mil per, or getting caught up in a bidding war for someone to get a name.

The "building through the draft" and avoiding the "Dream Team" is where the next part of the process works for a team like us, with no billionaire backing us. I get that many on here hate hearing it, but in reality, other than a few years we are a playoff team most of the time over a long period. Look at the very successful teams over time and you will see they use solid decision making. Even the new contenders, the 49's have lost much more than they gained this offseason. When your successful, teams take from you and you have to be smart in how you build your team.

I am lost at how fans can think we can go out and pay huge contracts to FA's and still be competitive every year. Look around. It just doesn't work. Whether you like to hear it or not, the system in place keeps us in contention for the playoffs every year for the most part. Once in, anything can happen. There is no perfect team. 49'ers were the team from last year that was going to be unstoppable this year, better QB, better d, better everything. They still have no Lombardies since the last millennium. And again they have lost more than they gained. That is how the NFL is set up.

Once again, you're lecturing about something I never proposed. I'll say for about the 4th. time, there's a large pool of reasonably priced players in the vast middle between elite high priced FAs and the minimum salary vets that will be available after the draft.

There have been a ton of these reasonably priced starter-quality players who would be upgrades that have been signed already this year. More go off the board with each passing day. This thing about the first week being all about bidding frenzies for stars does not match up with the realities on the ground. If you wait too long, you end up overpaying for Jeff Saturday.

You're arguing against Dream Team; I'm arguing for a little Belichick. Just a little.

SF, or SEA for that matter, are not particular concerns of mine except for one aspect of the game...we have to find a way to deal with their secondaries' bumping and jostling and grabbing all over the field.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts