Eddie Lacy vs Johnathan Franklin

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Again, do not forget about what DuJuan Harris did in his limited opportunities, behind the bad OL. The OL has (supposedly) been improved.

Harris was more like Ray Rice & MJD than what Rice himself was last year..... I never heard of Harris before, but he impressed me. Low to the ground, quick, powerful.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Sunshine885500

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My bet is with Lacy so let's bring back the Thunder:

It's amazing how things have changed with the highlights. Kids today don't know what they missed. Just watch!

And Now the new Thunder & Lightning:

TheStone

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As mentioned in this video embedded in the initial post:
Lacy has to improve his blocking to be the starter in place of
any RB leftover from last year.
Franklin too, but with his body-type, this is to be expected.
Lacy is a bulldog, but all he does is bump the defender. I don't
talk about plays where he's called to chip-block.
He chips on pass-protection-calls too. Leaning with his shoulder
and *BUMP*.
Go get that guy, Lacy!! Put him on his back!

slaughter25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As mentioned in this video embedded in the initial post:
Lacy has to improve his blocking to be the starter in place of
any RB leftover from last year.
Franklin too, but with his body-type, this is to be expected.
Lacy is a bulldog, but all he does is bump the defender. I don't
talk about plays where he's called to chip-block.
He chips on pass-protection-calls too. Leaning with his shoulder
and *BUMP*.
Go get that guy, Lacy!! Put him on his back!

That is the biggest knock on him that I have after sitting down and actually watching tape not just highlight reels. His pass blocking form is run up to a guy turn sideways and throw a shoulder. A guy blitzing off the edge in the NFL is going to blow right past that kind of block.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

Has anybody bothered to find out if either of them are gay, or muslim ???? Just saying ;)

98Redbird

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The thing here is, we don't need any of these guys to come in and be AP. It'd be nice, but we don't need it.

All we need is a back who can get the defense out of that freaking 2 deep shell crap! It was so frustrating last year seeing them just sit back and wait. Everybody did it against us, and I don't blame them, who were we going to run on, really?

As long as we have a halfway competent running game that has to be respected on at least some level, that would be enough for me. Make them bring a saftey up and be able to pound it late in games... that's all I'm asking for and I really think that we now have the tools in house to do it.

The other thing, with an offense like we have with Rodgers/Nelson/Jones/Cobb/Finley (Who I maintain should have a stellar year), most decent running backs should put up good numbers. I expect whoever runs it weather it be Lacy or Franklin primarily, they will put up good numbers.

We will have a 1,000 yard rusher in GB this year.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Tyler Dunne did a story a couple of days ago in which he begins by saying one of the greatest myths about last season was that McCarthy refused to run the ball. He did try to run, writes Dunne, but there's a difference between effort and execution. Then he gets to the substance of the article: The difference in talent at RB this year compared to last. I liked this differentiation of the backs:
This year, Thompson and McCarthy are trying to prevent week-to-week scrambling. In style and body type, the Packers have a full menu of options. There's a stocky bulldog (Harris), a plus-sized finisher (Lacy), a jack of all trades (Franklin), Green and Starks. Pressure on the latter two has risen, even if the Packers haven't seen Green at 100% yet.
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/packers-expect-spirited-competition-at-running-back-ae9u0gl-207148491.html

In his blog, Dunne makes this comment about DuJuan:
Caught Harris passing through the locker room briefly and it's impossible to ignore the guy's rare build. As we've talked about, not many 5-foot-7 backs have his strength (27 reps at 225). He won't surrender carries without a fight.
http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/207268001.html

Dunne also mentioned that Franklin looked natural catching punts and KOs. While that's not a big deal in a non-padded practice, I hope he and Ross and/or someone else supplants Cobb as a returner. It also reminds me of a story about a 5th round pick Wolf made in hopes of finally finding Desmond Howard's replacement as a returner. Wolf picked Joey Jamison in the 2000 draft and in one of the first practices that year he was on the sideline watching Jamison drop punt after punt. Wolf reportedly said, "I guess I f***ed that one up".

Of course these early non-padded practices can't provide much information but occasionally we get reports that give us an idea of a rookie who could turn out to be a good player. Shields and Tramon Williams are examples - as I remember it, they impressed early on. And a few players like Jamal Reynolds - the 10th pick of the 2001 draft - look like they don't belong from the very beginning.

profile_removed

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm just gonna throw this out there. Is it maybe time for Mc to go away from the zone blocking scheme? Maybe it's not our horrible line, and our sh***y running backs. Maybe it's the hoopty system?

Bwilk483

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like Lacy a little more then Franklin just because on all the film I seen at the end of the run he will hit the player for a extra yard or 2 and that is really what GB needs

but what I really would like to see is us to run a 2 back scheme Lacy, Franklin, or Harris in the backfield with nelson and Cobb on the out side and Finely at TE

having Franklin/Harris doing a lot like what Cobb did last year in the running back position and running a lot of play actions to them and then hitting them in the back field so it brings the safety's up

and then lacy pass blocking and then going out for a drop off pass if no one is open

5 People to worry about I don't think there is a D out there this year that could keep up with all 5

Sunshine885500

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As I walked my dog on a wooded bike path across from the Baltimore Ravens facility in the middle of the afternoon on Wednesday approaching me coming from the opposite direction was non-other then Ozzie Newsome (Ravens GM). He was going on a walk after completing his daily afternoon workout. I stopped him knowing he's an ex-Alabama Alumni and told him "Hey what's up Oz I'm a Green Bay Fan" "What do you think about Eddie Lacy"? He stated "You gonna LOVE EDDIE LACY" "HE'S A GOOD ONE".

Just thought I would share the comments from one of the best GM's in the NFL

Go Pack!

PackerFlatLander

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm just gonna throw this out there. Is it maybe time for Mc to go away from the zone blocking scheme? Maybe it's not our horrible line, and our sh***y running backs. Maybe it's the hoopty system?

Totally agreed. I've been saying this for years, since MM got here. The ZBS is a joke. The only reason Denver won two SB's with it, is because their o-line coach was the guy that invented it - Alex Gibbs. The Packers drafted all these ZBS prototype o-linemen - a bunch of discus and javelin-tossin' track stars, who looked more like they should be jumping hurdles and not blocking in the NFL. Colledge, Spitz, Moll, Barbre, and Giocomini - horrible, all of them. Ted finally started getting it right, somewhat, with Sitton, Bulaga and some of the newer guys have been hurt. But, the ZBS is garbage. The less guys they draft for it and the less we see of it, the better.

Just pound Lacy up the gut and run Franklin on screens, etc. - I think that would be an ideal solution.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just saw these numbers over at WalterFootball.com in his Fantasy Football RB rankings.
Combined, over 1,300 yards rushing, 12 TD's, 340 yards outta the backfield. I'd take it.
I still love me some DuJuan Harris though too. Don't sleep on the Ray Rice/MJD low-centered RB.

1. You must be logged in to see this image or video!
    Eddie Lacy, RB, Packers. Bye: 4.

Eddie Lacy was the favorite to be the top fantasy rookie after Day 2 of the draft - and then the Packers selected Johnathan Franklin. The two will negate each other's fantasy value, which sucks. There's a chance Lacy could approach double-digit touchdowns as Green Bay's goal-line hammer, but I thought Mark Ingram would do the same for the Saints. These Alabama backs have been disappointments thus far.

Projected 2013 Fantasy Stats: 700 rushing yards. 10 catches. 60 receiving yards. 8 total TDs.
    Projected 2013 Fantasy Points: 134.
    Projected 2013 PPR Fantasy Points: 144.

2. You must be logged in to see this image or video!
    Johnathan Franklin, RB, Packers. Bye: 4.

Johnathan Franklin was chosen two rounds after Eddie Lacy, but he could be used more than the Alabama product. Franklin, viewed by some as the top running back prospect in the 2013 NFL Draft, is better as a receiver and blocker than Lacy, which is huge in Green Bay's offense. Franklin will be selected later in fantasy drafts than Lacy, but he provides way more value.

Projected 2013 Fantasy Stats: 640 rushing yards. 33 catches. 280 receiving yards. 4 total TDs.
    Projected 2013 Fantasy Points: 131.
    Projected 2013 PPR Fantasy Points: 164.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts