Eddie Lacy vs Johnathan Franklin

Wood Chipper

Fantasy Football Guru
Reaction score
Which back would you would trust with the majority of touches?
I give Eddie Lacy a very slight edge over Franklin.

Eddie Lacy
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Johnathan Franklin

To watch all the game tape of them, go to their respective threads.
Lacy - http://www.packerforum.com/threads/official-rb-eddie-lacy-thread.44174
Franklin - http://www.packerforum.com/threads/official-rb-johnathan-franklin-thread.44198

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If there's a hole (which doesn't happen often with us), I'll take Franklin.
If there's a LB or DB in the way, I think Lacy can shrug off a tackle better.

Franklin is a legit threat out of the backfield.

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have a sweet spot for Franklin as him and Bernard were my favorites coming out of the draft. That being said as of right now I would trust Lacy more, with Franklin's past of fumble troubles which just can't happen in McCarthy's offense. To his credit he did only have one last year so it may be fixed.

This could easily change though and we'll see soon enough in camp who is better right away.

Love the sig WC.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have a sweet spot for Franklin as him and Bernard were my favorites coming out of the draft. That being said as of right now I would trust Lacy more, with Franklin's past of fumble troubles which just can't happen in McCarthy's offense. To his credit he did only have one last year so it may be fixed.

This could easily change though and we'll see soon enough in camp who is better right away.

Love the sig WC.

Same here. I was upset to see Bernard go to Cincy but i wasn't shocked he was the first rb taken. I was more shocked Franklin went in the fourth then Lacy going in the second.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If there's a hole (which doesn't happen often with us), I'll take Franklin.
If there's a LB or DB in the way, I think Lacy can shrug off a tackle better.

Franklin is a legit threat out of the backfield.

Yep, nothing like a rb who can catch.

slaughter25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Franklin shows the ability to take a small hole and squirt through it into the second level very well. A skill that should be pretty effective in he NFL. He was very balanced and in college was able to make the first guy in the hole look silly. That simply wont be as effective against NFL LB that are twice as big fast and strong as a good majority of college athletes.

In the end I think Lacy gets more carries. He is going to be the guy that gets the ball late in the game to nurse a lead, or the guy that gets it going early. But, I fully expect MM to ride the hot hand week in and week out based on what the D is giving us.

peteralan71

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kinda weird how everybody has stopped showing Harris some love haha. I'm sure he will get the first crack at the starting role however...so it's basically his job to lose.

You don't draft a RB in the second round to let him sit behind an UDFA. Even if Harris is better at the start, I have to think that both Lacy and Franklin will have more attempts than Harris.

That said, I do like Harris a lot and hope that he can play a role, I just don't feel like it will happen.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I've heard a couple of people on the radio say they think Franklin will have the more successful career - one who is not a football "expert" predicted he would be the steal of not only the Packers draft but of the entire draft. But if Lacy's fused toe holds up I'm guessing he'll get most of the carries. If he's 100% healthy isn't he likely to be comparable to a young Cedric Benson - only (I hope) better?

Obviously the Packers' OL isn't a good run-blocking line but because of the threat of Rodgers' arm, although DuJuan Harris only had 34 carries in the regular season, he averaged 4.6 ypc. In the playoffs he had 100 total yards vs. the Vikings but averaged only 2.8 ypc on 17 attempts with a TD - that was his worst ypc game of his short career. Against the 9ers he had 11 attempts for a 4.8 average and a TD. Even if you put an asterisk next to the '9er game (how many rushes were after the Packers were down by 7+?) Harris' success bodes well for Lacy, Franklin and Harris again. And if they can improve run blocking just a little, there's reason to believe the rookies and Harris will do very well running the ball.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You don't draft a RB in the second round to let him sit behind an UDFA. Even if Harris is better at the start, I have to think that both Lacy and Franklin will have more attempts than Harris.

That said, I do like Harris a lot and hope that he can play a role, I just don't feel like it will happen.

Well some will think that yea, but you would figure MM and his staff will start the best option a RB wouldn't you?? UDFA or not. But you could be right.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Take Cobb off of kick return/punt return duties and give Harris a shot at it....and he could be a viable option as a #3 RB. That way we give our good WR less of a chance of getting killed out there. I think Harris would be a homerun threat at KR/PR, more so than Cobb.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've heard a couple of people on the radio say they think Franklin will have the more successful career - one who is not a football "expert" predicted he would be the steal of not only the Packers draft but of the entire draft. But if Lacy's fused toe holds up I'm guessing he'll get most of the carries. If he's 100% healthy isn't he likely to be comparable to a young Cedric Benson - only (I hope) better?

Obviously the Packers' OL isn't a good run-blocking line but because of the threat of Rodgers' arm, although DuJuan Harris only had 34 carries in the regular season, he averaged 4.6 ypc. In the playoffs he had 100 total yards vs. the Vikings but averaged only 2.8 ypc on 17 attempts with a TD - that was his worst ypc game of his short career. Against the 9ers he had 11 attempts for a 4.8 average and a TD. Even if you put an asterisk next to the '9er game (how many rushes were after the Packers were down by 7+?) Harris' success bodes well for Lacy, Franklin and Harris again. And if they can improve run blocking just a little, there's reason to believe the rookies and Harris will do very well running the ball.

I like Lacy..just not running behind this line. I favor Franklin more because he has quickness and great cutback ability (vision) which you need running the zone blocking scheme. Thats probably why Franklin will have more success.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
who knows who will have a better career? We cant fast forward time 10 years from know, can we?
Plenty of RB's have had good careers behind crappy line.....look at barry sanders for example, he had guys chasing him as the ball was handed off to him, the Lions line sucked and he still had the defense look stupid. KC does not have that great of an O line and charles runs all over people. We all know that the bears O line sucks a donkey, yet Forte is a good RB. Again, have some faith people.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I was under impression Lacy's toe was fixed BEFORE the start of the 2012 college season..Which means he played a whole season already on it

Yes it was fixed before the season

http://alabama.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1339729

TUSCALOOSA | University of Alabama running back Eddie Lacy will not participate in spring practice while recovering from surgery to repair a turf toe injury, coach Nick Saban said Tuesday.

So in 2012 AFTER toe surgery

204 carries (14 avg per game)
1322 yards (94 yards per game)
17 tds

I think it held up fine?

98Redbird

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Franklin... I was praying that we didn't take Lacy in the 1st, I was okay with the end of the second. But I mean holy crap, look at the line he was running behind... Nothing he did really impressed me other than his blocking and the fact that if it was 1 on 1 he usually always fell forward a few yards. Reminds me of a Michael Bush kind of guy. Goal line.

But Lacy, if you watch him, almost always lowers his head and plows into ppl... I have a feeling the new rules will negate the main facet of his game.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
But Lacy, if you watch him, almost always lowers his head and plows into ppl... I have a feeling the new rules will negate the main facet of his game.
That definitely crossed my mind as I was watching his highlights. But I also saw more to be impressed with than you did.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
With Lacy on the roster I never have to hear "Steven Jackson" ever again, and that instantly endears him to me, but I do think Franklin is better suited to our system. Though Lacy's power run game may prove more aptitude for dropping a Safety.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The running back that become a great pass blocker will find himself on the field more often than not, it's what I would work on the most if I was one of the 3.

M

mayo44

Franklin... I was praying that we didn't take Lacy in the 1st, I was okay with the end of the second. But I mean holy crap, look at the line he was running behind... Nothing he did really impressed me other than his blocking and the fact that if it was 1 on 1 he usually always fell forward a few yards. Reminds me of a Michael Bush kind of guy. Goal line.

It won't affect him any more than any other straight-ahead power runner. As for his potential, I think he'll be at least as good as his predecessor. He had more yards per carry by a good margin over TR and more importantly, he had about 1.5 yards more after contact than TR. There's no denying that he's a handful to tackle.

Lacy/Franklin could be our modern day Taylor/Hornung.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Both of them can catch the ball out of the backfield. Lacy I know is a great pass blocker. Also, dont let Lacy's size fool you, Franklin isnt that much faster than Lacy. Lacy can break-away for 50+ yard TD runs too.

I think Lacy will discover that Alabama ran pretty much the same exact offense that we do. So he'll adjust a little faster im thinking.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The running back that become a great pass blocker will find himself on the field more often than not, it's what I would work on the most if I was one of the 3.

Both Lacy and Franklin are cited as being good blockers and receivers out of the backfield.

To me the big thing will be Lacy's health. If the toe doesn't hamper him and he's able to stay reasonably healthy, I see him as a work horse.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Both Lacy and Franklin are cited as being good blockers and receivers out of the backfield.

To me the big thing will be Lacy's health. If the toe doesn't hamper him and he's able to stay reasonably healthy, I see him as a work horse.

I keep reading lacy is not. But I haven't seen either play in person so it's hard for me to judge based on different reports

Members online