Eagles want a 5th or 6th Rounder for Asante Samuel

jaybadger82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
...Not at his salary (I believe it would put us over the cap). And he's on the wrong side of 30.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Terrible idea for the long term prospects of the franchise.

overpaid corner whose best days are behind him? I'll pass. We already have Woodson.

OP
OP
Southpaw

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
Terrible idea for the long term prospects of the franchise.

overpaid corner whose best days are behind him? I'll pass. We already have Woodson.

Samuel's best days are right now and can be sustained for at least 3 more years. How is a guy who is one of the league leaders in INT's almost every year and just two seasons ago held QB's to a rating of 30 when he's targeted be past his best years? He's a top Corner in the league.

Long Term investment it might not be smart, but to deny his ability like he's some kind of a past his prime bum is absurd.

OP
OP
Southpaw

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
Alas though, I wasn't aware of our cap situation. So it seems slimmer now, as if it didn't before

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
They said Wood was at the end when we picked him up. If we could restructure his contract..... we might need to move wood to safety to fill the hole Collins might leave. A backfield with Wood, Burnett, Williams,Samule would be a formidable one. We get that pass-rusher in the draft and BAM! top 5 D.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Samuel's best days are right now and can be sustained for at least 3 more years. How is a guy who is one of the league leaders in INT's almost every year and just two seasons ago held QB's to a rating of 30 when he's targeted be past his best years? He's a top Corner in the league.

Long Term investment it might not be smart, but to deny his ability like he's some kind of a past his prime bum is absurd.
ranked 91 out of 101 corners for tackling. Just what we need a 31 yr old corner who can't tackle.

If he is so elite why are the eagles so eager the past two years to trade him?

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
ranked 91 out of 101 corners for tackling. Just what we need a 31 yr old corner who can't tackle.

They are switching to a man scheme because they have two incredible man corners and Samuel is a zone corner? I think the cap explanation serves best.

Make it interesting, let the Lions have him. better yet, the Titans

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
I guess Denver already got rejected in an offer.

I guess the Broncos goal is to try and sign every DB Peyton has thrown a pick 6 too in his career.:confused:

OP
OP
Southpaw

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score

It's an upgrade no matter how you slice it. He can't tackle any better than Shields or Tramon but he's still better than both of them. The Eagles are going to start playing more man coverage since they have the best man press cover corner in the league. Samuel is a zone corner. He'll fit right into our scheme. I'm more confident in Samuel gambling on plays than I am with any of our corners, maybe even Woodson.

I know how good Samuel is. I live here in Eagles country.

gbpowner

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hmmm...I'll bite. A 5 or 6 seems reasonable. Is his contract negotiable at all? If not, I'd pass. However; nothing lights a fire under some of these competitors like being cut or dangled out for a cheap asking price. I'd like to think that we could get a couple of good years out of him while he's busy proving the Eagles made a mistake with him.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's an upgrade no matter how you slice it. He can't tackle any better than Shields or Tramon but he's still better than both of them. The Eagles are going to start playing more man coverage since they have the best man press cover corner in the league. Samuel is a zone corner. He'll fit right into our scheme. I'm more confident in Samuel gambling on plays than I am with any of our corners, maybe even Woodson.

I know how good Samuel is. I live here in Eagles country.

I'm sorry but where you live does not make you an expert on anything. I live in Wisconsin, that doesn't make me an expert on how to make lamp shades out of people.

I feel much better about our future with tramon having time to get healthy than I would overpaying for another aging corner. Speaking of health, is Samuels ever healthy?

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
OP
OP
Southpaw

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
I'm sorry but where you live does not make you an expert on anything. I live in Wisconsin, that doesn't make me an expert on how to make lamp shades out of people.

Well I watch almost every Eagles game and I'd like to think do know a good bit about how good Samuel is. He's a top CB in the league.

His best years are behind him? Give me a break. He's a perennial pro bowler and one of the top corners in the league. You don't have to be an expert at anything football related to know that.

Did you think Woodson was done when we picked him up?

I feel much better about our future with tramon having time to get healthy than I would overpaying for another aging corner. Speaking of health, is Samuels ever healthy?

It's Samuel, not Samuels. And he had a hamstring injury that kept him out of some games last season. You act like he's made of glass.

Once again I wasn't aware of our cap situation so this is likely not a possibility. But seriously, you can't deny that he's still an elite player in this league.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
See if he'lll take a pay cut or extension that lowers his cap number first. The guy is a serious player. You always have to explore your options.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If he's a "Top corner in the league," why aren't other teams willing to give up a 5th or 6th round draft pick for him?

Nnamdi Asomougha is a top corner in the league. Darrelle Revis is a top corner in the league. Samuel is, at best, mediocre.

If I were the Packers and had an interest, I'd wait until after the draft before entertaining the idea and possibly kicking the tires. Force the Eagles into making a decision as to whether to keep him or cut him, and then let a market develop around him to see what kind of value we can get him for.

Members online

Latest posts