Eagles dream team?

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
My ***!

First off answer me this, and since they are already "Super bowl favorites" over the 2 teams I would pick for the NFC (Saints and Packers), this is all i gotta say about them

How do we know they ain't gonna have competition in that division?
Folks give Jason Garrett hell but look at his team. Dallas is going to be challenging next year, and I think Garrett knows what he is doing. Also the Eagles are not pulling a "We're so bad ***" like Miami Heat did, but ESPN is doing it for them. All I hear about at work is Vick Vick Vick Vick....and it ain't the positive response that creates a segment of conversation. It's more of this: :suicide2:I am so tired of hearing about Michael Vick.

Yeah I KNOW, WE KNOW he's a good player, but he ain't Steve Young and he ain't Randall Cunnigham (Eagles Cunnigham had a 300+ passing season and 900+ rushing season. Something Vick can't do)

Also, how the hell is this going to work? Anyone remember all that T.O. ******** in Bungle town last year? Sure worked for them. We know, they signed a bunch of free agents, but do we really know they are going to live up to expectations? We don't know but I doubt it.

If Vick gets hurt, is Vince Young going to be able to run that offense?

What if their blitz-a-ton of defense stops working and leaves targets wide open cause they want to blitz with the new CB's?

Will they be able to win the division?

Giants I think are a decent team, and as much as I hate Dallas, they got it in for Philly. They will "beat their ***" at least once this season.

No disrespect if we have Eagle fans here, I don't mean to offend you and if I do I am sorry, it's just I think we are ALL tired of hearing about this everyday on ESPN. I'm sure they'll go 11-5 but they ain't gonna be 12-4 in my book.

VersusTheMoose

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not so sure they are the favorites, maybe in comment sections at ESPN.com but I see most people still picking the Packers or Patriots. But I do agree, they are far from a dream team and they are a Vick broken leg away from missing the playoffs.

GWheels

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Anybody can look tough on paper. Pro football is not only about skill but also about luck. Injury here or there to key people can turn your season quickly. The Washington Redskins tried to buy their way to the Super Bowl for years and look how that turned out for them.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
glad they have the media attention and the target on their back. They are a loaded team. Their GM did an amazing job. Im in the wait and see approach. As a football fan it excites me. As a Packer fan I am indifferent since we dont play them.

Dream Team? If they go 07 pats on people then we can talk, but until then they are just another hyped up team.

Vick gets hurt, Young is struggling, can the ol gun slinger turn down that offense and media presence?

I honestly like the Packers on paper better anyways.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dream team my tail! The Eagle's owner, Jeffery Lurie even admitted to it in PC! To paraphrase, he said regarding the Eagles being a dream team, The only dream team I know of is the Green Bay Packers and we can only hope to be as good as them. I like that about Lurie as far as the Eagles go. He did good to strengthen their roster by adding a lot of talent where they needed it but I don't think it will be good enough and certainly not a dream team. Keep dreaming, feather heads.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
Big name players doesn't necessarily equate to good playoff football. The Packers were missing a bunch of their big name players last year right?

OP
OP
Bogart

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
Anybody can look tough on paper. Pro football is not only about skill but also about luck. Injury here or there to key people can turn your season quickly. The Washington Redskins tried to buy their way to the Super Bowl for years and look how that turned out for them.

The Colts are my favorite example of this.

ESPN thinks Manning is Montana 2.0 even after blowing the Super Bowl. And while they were banged up last year, still ain't no excuse cause we won the Super Bowl pretty banged up.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Eagles?

Is this the same team that had the ball at our 25 yard line with 40 seconds left, in the Wildcard game, down by 5 points?
Is this the same team that had a pass into the end zone underthrown and picked off in the end zone by Tramon Williams to win the game with about a half-minute left?
Is this the same team that under a minute, had a play where Desmond Bishop was the last guy to make the tackle, and shoe-stringed the guy down to preserve the lead, game, and season?
Is this the same team who's kicker missed to 40-yard field goals in that game for us?
Is this the same team that held Rodgers to under 200 yards passing in the game?

That was not just a tough team on paper.
That game was tough and we barely won.
Those are facts.
Anyone who pretends like we crushed them is in denial.

Now, is that the same team who added 2 of the best 10 cover-corners in football?
And is that the team who added our best interior D-lineman and who will get back their 1st round pick Brandon Graham, who missed almost all of last season?

Folks, I love the Packers and feel we could repeat. But there are tons of factors including luck, and that team was good already before adding those players. Not just on paper.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Eagles' Dream Team is the best thing that could've happened this offseason for us. Keep our players hungry and doesn't let the media interfere.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Face it...

If the Packers did what they did everyone of us would be talking that smack..Even if we didnt win the SB..And if you say you wouldnt be talking smack, your a liar..

I for one thinks that on paper they can beat the Packers right now..

We will see how it pans out

IluvGB

I <3 Packers!!!!
Reaction score
Big name players doesn't necessarily equate to good playoff football. The Packers were missing a bunch of their big name players last year right?

Imagine this year with all the big name players if they stay in the game all season!!!
I believed we could do it last season,.. and I believe we can this season.

This is just blind loyalty as I believe this EVERY season... well I take that back,..there were a few seasons where I knew it wasn't meant to be! :beg:

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
Face it...

If the Packers did what they did everyone of us would be talking that smack..Even if we didnt win the SB..And if you say you wouldnt be talking smack, your a liar..

I for one thinks that on paper they can beat the Packers right now..

We will see how it pans out
I'm not a liar, I'm a Packer fan and they showed it's not FA that keeps you competitive, just like the Steelers, it's wise drafting and building from within.
If anything, last season has showed me it's about the drive and focus and coaching that gets you there. Go ahead, ask me which free agent WR I'd rather have than Randall Cobb or which free agent OT I'd rather have than Sherrod.
Further, ask me which of the CBs Philly got this year I'd replace of ours? Do you let Tramon or Charles or Sam go? I dunno, kinda questionable decisions when you're thinking about the long term success of a team ya know?
I get what you're saying, but I'm not going to admit they have a better team because they haven't shown the coaching cohesion the Packers have. I don't think 1/2 of the season with Jenkins is better than a whole season of Neal. I don't think 2 or even 3 good CBs can stop the Packers offense. Also, I'm not even sure they are better than the Packers nickel set. Every offensive skill player on the Packers squad is a receiving threat, once those underneath routes open up they will be forced to move back into the box to defend it and then the receivers will burn 'em deep.
I'd love to hear how you think their FA additions make them better than the Pack. Position by position ya know?
No flash with Bulaga and Sherrod but so very important. This team is going to dominate for awhile.
People who give props to teams who hit it big in FA are usually wrong. Good luck with your predictions. I'm going to predict that the Green Bay Packers have it all over the Philly Eagles.
Someone was making a point about how the Eagles only lost because their kicker missed field goals. Well, if they'd have been 20 yards closer he probably doesn't miss. So?????? They didn't get it done, **** the Eagoles.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not a liar, I'm a Packer fan and they showed it's not FA that keeps you competitive, just like the Steelers, it's wise drafting and building from within.
If anything, last season has showed me it's about the drive and focus and coaching that gets you there. Go ahead, ask me which free agent WR I'd rather have than Randall Cobb or which free agent OT I'd rather have than Sherrod.
Further, ask me which of the CBs Philly got this year I'd replace of ours? Do you let Tramon or Charles or Sam go? I dunno, kinda questionable decisions when you're thinking about the long term success of a team ya know?
I get what you're saying, but I'm not going to admit they have a better team because they haven't shown the coaching cohesion the Packers have. I don't think 1/2 of the season with Jenkins is better than a whole season of Neal. I don't think 2 or even 3 good CBs can stop the Packers offense. Also, I'm not even sure they are better than the Packers nickel set. Every offensive skill player on the Packers squad is a receiving threat, once those underneath routes open up they will be forced to move back into the box to defend it and then the receivers will burn 'em deep.
I'd love to hear how you think their FA additions make them better than the Pack. Position by position ya know?
No flash with Bulaga and Sherrod but so very important. This team is going to dominate for awhile.
People who give props to teams who hit it big in FA are usually wrong. Good luck with your predictions. I'm going to predict that the Green Bay Packers have it all over the Philly Eagles.
Someone was making a point about how the Eagles only lost because their kicker missed field goals. Well, if they'd have been 20 yards closer he probably doesn't miss. So?????? They didn't get it done, **** the Eagoles.

I said on paper and we all know games arent played on paper..

I do know how the Washington, and the Raiders look when they spend like crazy and how it NEVER works out for them..I laugh and I never worry about them..

Cullen is a beast and out of any player that Ted never re-signed, he is only one I am pissed that we lost..That man will make their defense better and if you think he wont, then you dont understand how he plays..

We had a tough time beating them both times..And if you dont think getting Asomugha, and Cullen wont make a difference, then nothing I will say will change your mind..I dont care who else they picked up...Those two make them lot better

Is it possible there wont be any chemistry and they wont play well together? Yes..

But I think that wont happen..This isnt the Redskins we are talking about...Philly is ran very well

Research Cullen and Asomugha..Find out what they have done in last 2 years....They will still be able to do those things this year again..

98Redbird

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, I don't really care. We don't see them during the regular season and A LOT can happen between now and then. They have become the new focus of the NFC, which is great, takes the target off of our backs a little bit. Nobody ever won a Super Bowl in August. Never.

So let them be the "Dream Team"...

We're just the "Green Bay Packers" and I'm good with that.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
Cullen is a beast and out of any player that Ted never re-signed, he is only one I am pissed that we lost..That man will make their defense better and if you think he wont, then you dont understand how he plays..

We had a tough time beating them both times..And if you dont think getting Asomugha, and Cullen wont make a difference, then nothing I will say will change your mind..I dont care who else they picked up...Those two make them lot better

Is it possible there wont be any chemistry and they wont play well together? Yes..

But I think that wont happen..This isnt the Redskins we are talking about...Philly is ran very well

Research Cullen and Asomugha..Find out what they have done in last 2 years....They will still be able to do those things this year again..
You don't have to sell me on Cullen Jenkins, remember I'm a Packer fan like you. However, he was often injured. No team is better when they have a star player not playing. You gotta be on the field to make a difference. You're assuming he'll be a different player there than he was here, maybe, maybe not. I understand how he plays the game as well as you do, what makes you believe he'll automatically be healthy all year?
If he is, yep, you have a point longtime, I agree with you. I did hate to see him go, really, really hated it. But I don't think it automatically upgrades the Eagles through a season.
As for Asomugha, I sure as heck believe he'll make them better. But here's the other side of the coin. What in the world does everybody think the Packers have been doing? We have one of the youngest teams in the league, all of our younger players will have more experience. Can you with certainty say that Mike Neal will NOT be as good as or better than Cullen?
Can you say with any kind of conviction that Sam Shields, Morgan Burnett, Brian Bulaga, Erik Walden, Randall Cobb or D.J. Williams won't be immediate stars? It took a year for BJ to emerge but he's there now right?
I respect your posts and insight longtime, but it's not like every other team was sitting still, least of all the Packers. Did the Eagles improve? Maybe, but it's just as likely the other teams in the NFL did as much without as much noise. You point out that the Packers barely beat the Eagles last year. So? They did beat them. And if the Packers can sustain any semblance of health among their star players one has to assume they are at least a little bit better this year than last right? At least as improved as the Eagles?

VersusTheMoose

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The term "Dream Team" just doesn't fit the Eagles no matter how you slice it. To have a dream team you have to have the best player in the world at every position. The Eagles might have the best CB in the world, might. They are not a dream team and will never win a SB starting Vick at QB.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
The term "Dream Team" just doesn't fit the Eagles no matter how you slice it. To have a dream team you have to have the best player in the world at every position. The Eagles might have the best CB in the world, might. They are not a dream team and will never win a SB starting Vick at QB.
Yep Moose, and further, who else on their team is top 10 at their position?
As I said, I'd never give up Tramon for Asumugha however the rest of the NFL views them. Josh Sitton didn't make the pro bowl but anybody who knows that player will agree he should have been.
Sometimes it's just name recognition. Would you give up Greg Jennings for DeSean Jackson? Rodgers for Vick? Really, how are they better than our team?

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
You don't have to sell me on Cullen Jenkins, remember I'm a Packer fan like you. However, he was often injured. No team is better when they have a star player not playing. You gotta be on the field to make a difference. You're assuming he'll be a different player there than he was here, maybe, maybe not. I understand how he plays the game as well as you do, what makes you believe he'll automatically be healthy all year?
If he is, yep, you have a point longtime, I agree with you. I did hate to see him go, really, really hated it. But I don't think it automatically upgrades the Eagles through a season.
As for Asomugha, I sure as heck believe he'll make them better. But here's the other side of the coin. What in the world does everybody think the Packers have been doing? We have one of the youngest teams in the league, all of our younger players will have more experience. Can you with certainty say that Mike Neal will NOT be as good as or better than Cullen?
Can you say with any kind of conviction that Sam Shields, Morgan Burnett, Brian Bulaga, Erik Walden, Randall Cobb or D.J. Williams won't be immediate stars? It took a year for BJ to emerge but he's there now right?
I respect your posts and insight longtime, but it's not like every other team was sitting still, least of all the Packers. Did the Eagles improve? Maybe, but it's just as likely the other teams in the NFL did as much without as much noise. You point out that the Packers barely beat the Eagles last year. So? They did beat them. And if the Packers can sustain any semblance of health among their star players one has to assume they are at least a little bit better this year than last right? At least as improved as the Eagles?

Your opinion is they arent as good as the Pack..Mine is that on paper they seem to be as good f not better..

Again...lets see how it pans out

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
This is what Jenkins will give Philly, and why I think their line improved 100% and why I am very pissed we didnt re-sign him

Per Pro Football Focus- Jenkins had 46 pressures on 411 pass rushing snaps including playoffs, made him the 3rd most productive interior rusher in the league

Last 3 seasons, he has 14 sacks and 111 pressures, in 1058 passing rushing snaps, again making him the 3rd most productive rusher in the league.

Last season, even missing some games, Jenkins had more sacks then Dallas, and Washington defensive ends combined...

Neal has some huge shoes to fill, and I think he has the tools to do so..But we do not know if he will..

But at least the players Philly got are proven players that are arguably top 3 players at their respective spots.Thats what I base my opinion on..I hope they only end up paper champs and we win again..

Again have to see how it pans out

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Two points on Cullen Jenkins:

1. If Capers uses the lineup in the base he's contemplating, BJ Raji will be called upon to replace Jenkins, not Neal (who will be replacing Pickett at strong-side DE). Don’t get me wrong, they'll miss a healthy Cullen Jenkins - particularly in the nickel - but in the past three years he's missed 17 games. However, when he was healthy he averaged almost one-half a sack during that time - that's amazing for (basically) an interior DL.

2. If all I cared about was this season, I'd be pissed about not signing him, too. The Packers could certainly afford, both cap-wise and cash-wise, to pay him what the Eagles are and I don't believe they will have a cap hit if they waive him after this season (if he's injured). But if I were Ted Thompson I couldn't just care about 2011 so when looking at Jenkins, the calculation had to be something like: Do I sign Jenkins and let Finley and/or Sitton and/or Nelson go after this season? For example, if it came down to extending Josh Sitton for 5 years or keeping Jenkins for this year, as much as I like the 30-year old Jenkins, I'd pick Sitton.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Two points on Cullen Jenkins:

1. If Capers uses the lineup in the base he's contemplating, BJ Raji will be called upon to replace Jenkins, not Neal (who will be replacing Pickett at strong-side DE). Don’t get me wrong, they'll miss a healthy Cullen Jenkins - particularly in the nickel - but in the past three years he's missed 17 games. However, when he was healthy he averaged almost one-half a sack during that time - that's amazing for (basically) an interior DL.

2. If all I cared about was this season, I'd be pissed about not signing him, too. The Packers could certainly afford, both cap-wise and cash-wise, to pay him what the Eagles are and I don't believe they will have a cap hit if they waive him after this season (if he's injured). But if I were Ted Thompson I couldn't just care about 2011 so when looking at Jenkins, the calculation had to be something like: Do I sign Jenkins and let Finley and/or Sitton and/or Nelson go after this season? For example, if it came down to extending Josh Sitton for 5 years or keeping Jenkins for this year, as much as I like the 30-year old Jenkins, I'd pick Sitton.

Yup missed 17 games and STILL put up numbers that are crazy good..Why is everyone harping on his injuries to make the excuse? Sometimes odd things happen to players..Dont hold that against Jenkins..

We could say the same about Rodgers...He had bad shoulder, broken foot and had some concussions, so, he needs to be gone???

Thats just stupid..

I dont know why people are coming down on me for saying Philly on paper is better...Just because I am a Packer fan, doesnt mean I am blind to what other teams have..

Nor does it mean I cant be honest on how I think other teams will do.

Wood Chipper

Fantasy Football Guru
Reaction score
I don't dislike the Eagles. I dislike how ESPN gets down it's knees for whatever team is having it's fifteen minutes of fame. Steelers prior to Super Bowl. Packers after Super Bowl. Heat before the Finals. Mavericks after the Finals. Eagles now...

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
"Everyone" is harping on injuries because Cullen is 30-years old and is likely on the downside of his career. Part of Thompson's philosophy is to let players go a year too early rather than a year too late. And some may say making an analogy of Jenkins, who is 30-years old and who has missed an entire season's worth of games during the last three seasons, to a young QB with vast potential is "stupid". Not me, but some may say that. :)

And you do realize that this is a zero sum game for Thompson, don't you? Whether or not to keep Jenkins in a "vacuum" is an easy call, but Thompson doesn't operate in a vacuum. For example, if you were Thompson would you have signed Jenkins if it meant losing Finley after this season? How about Sitton? The answer for both is "no" IMO, how about you?

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
"Everyone" is harping on injuries because Cullen is 30-years old and is likely on the downside of his career. Part of Thompson's philosophy is to let players go a year too early rather than a year too late. And some may say making an analogy of Jenkins, who is 30-years old and who has missed an entire season's worth of games during the last three seasons, to a young QB with vast potential is "stupid". Not me, but some may say that. :)

And you do realize that this is a zero sum game for Thompson, don't you? Whether or not to keep Jenkins in a "vacuum" is an easy call, but Thompson doesn't operate in a vacuum. For example, if you were Thompson would you have signed Jenkins if it meant losing Finley after this season? How about Sitton? The answer for both is "no" IMO, how about you?

Nope..I want those guys here long term...

But Jenkins contract was done that Philly can cut him after a year...Packers could have done that

Now Neal got hurt in practice today, not sure how bad, but was limping off the field...So last year Neal was hurt and couldnt play, now hurt again..

Sounds familiar

Members online

Latest posts