Eagles cut former packer

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll admit it I was part of the crew that he proved wrong on the durability front. I fear the injury bug may be a GB thing and not the players. I also have a feeling if he did sign here for the money the Eagles paid him we would be less than thrilled with 9.5 sacks over the last 2 years.

First of all sacks don't necessarily translate from one team to another. They could have been more or less in GB. We don't know. But actually those sack totals in Philly pretty much parallel what he did in GB. Furthermore, it's more than just sacks, its also about bringing pressure and playing the run. Jenkins did that very well. Finally, who on the current GB roster has put up the same kind of #'s he put up in Philly? I'd do cartwheels if we had got comparable production from his replacements.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Letting Jenkins go was the right move. Every team that wins the Super Bowl is doomed to let players go in free agency because the other contenders pay premiums for free agents that just helped win the big game. If we had kept Jenkins then we would have had to let someone else go.

Just like in life, being a GM involves weighing trade-offs and making calculated guesses at which move will work out best in the end. There is no right or wrong way - just different ways of staying within the salary cap.

slaughter25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First of all sacks don't necessarily translate from one team to another. They could have been more or less in GB. We don't know. But actually those sack totals in Philly pretty much parallel what he did in GB. Furthermore, it's more than just sacks, its also about bringing pressure and playing the run. Jenkins did that very well. Finally, who on the current GB roster has put up the same kind of #'s he put up in Philly? I'd do cartwheels if we had got comparable production from his replacements.

I guess I don't see the seasons changing a whole lot either way if he put the same numbers up here as he did in Philly. Better than we had/have? Certainly. Did he go there and prove that us letting him go was game breaking. Not in my opinion. I'd welcome him back in GB on the cheap. Mike Neal didn't put up the consistent pressure but did snag 4.5 sacks (.5 more than cullen) in about half a season.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess I don't see the seasons changing a whole lot either way if he put the same numbers up here as he did in Philly. Better than we had/have? Certainly. Did he go there and prove that us letting him go was game breaking. Not in my opinion. I'd welcome him back in GB on the cheap. Mike Neal didn't put up the consistent pressure but did snag 4.5 sacks (.5 more than cullen) in about half a season.

No one said not retaining him was game breaking. He was an important piece on our DL and proved it in our 2010 run. The reality is that we still don't have a replacement for him. Many think a DE/DT is a prime if not the top need for the Packers in 2013 draft. Neal??? You've got to be kidding me.

slaughter25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No one said not retaining him was game breaking. He was an important piece on our DL and proved it in our 2010 run. The reality is that we still don't have a replacement for him. Many think a DE/DT is a prime if not the top need for the Packers in 2013 draft. Neal??? You've got to be kidding me.

I've heard many a person on this board and otherwise point to letting him go as one of the biggest reasons the packers haven't been to the Superbowl again since 2010. Me? I think Nick Collins was a much bigger loss than Cullen. And as far as mike Neal goes. I don't like the guy. I'm a fan of consistency and that's one thing dude has never shown. I was merely comparing the production of sacks between the two players.

I feel like we are agreeing much more than the perceived tone behind your message implies. I hope we bring in more big explosive guys to play on both lines early and often. Whether that means in the draft or Cullen Jenkins, or however it gets done there is a deficiency in production from the dine and it would be a wise issue to address this off season.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've heard many a person on this board and otherwise point to letting him go as one of the biggest reasons the packers haven't been to the Superbowl again since 2010. Me? I think Nick Collins was a much bigger loss than Cullen. And as far as mike Neal goes. I don't like the guy. I'm a fan of consistency and that's one thing dude has never shown. I was merely comparing the production of sacks between the two players.

I feel like we are agreeing much more than the perceived tone behind your message implies. I hope we bring in more big explosive guys to play on both lines early and often. Whether that means in the draft or Cullen Jenkins, or however it gets done there is a deficiency in production from the dine and it would be a wise issue to address this off season.

Yes we probably agree more than we disagree. Everything is connected. Lose a part here, lose a part there and suddenly you are in a difficult situation. We need some impact players like a Matthews on defense to turn things around...but then there's the LT dilemma. :(

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes we probably agree more than we disagree. Everything is connected. Lose a part here, lose a part there and suddenly you are in a difficult situation. We need some impact players like a Matthews on defense to turn things around...but then there's the LT dilemma. :(

If TT drafts another darn Tackle in the 1st round i'll cancel my NFL Saunday ticket. WE need to find another difference maker on defense! not the o-line.

H

HardRightEdge

If TT drafts another darn Tackle in the 1st round i'll cancel my NFL Saunday ticket. WE need to find another difference maker on defense! not the o-line.

I dunno. TT likes taking guys with strong athletic metrics in the high rounds. The kid from Arkansas-Pine Bluff should still be on the board. :barefoot:

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I dunno. TT likes taking guys with strong athletic metrics in the high rounds. The kid from Arkansas-Pine Bluff should still be on the board. :barefoot:
I faintly recall seeing that TT only takes players from the major conferences in the 1st round. Don't remember where but it was a year or so back. If so, this kid is a non-issue.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
In order of most recent, Thompson’s first rounders were from: USC, Mississippi State, Iowa, Boston College, USC, Tennessee, Ohio State, University of California, Berkeley.

Packer Fan in SD

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with Slaughter, losing Collins was HUGE! If I remember right, Matthews was mostly lined up opposite of Jenkins and had a huge year. Both of them had impact, not always measurable but still had impact. Neither has been replaced. Not saying CJ is the answer, but I would sure like to see someone on the opposite side of the Claymaker take pressure off of him. I like our young secondary, but someone is needed to take Nick Collins place. It is amazing how much you can see in a players value once he is gone.

H

HardRightEdge

I faintly recall seeing that TT only takes players from the major conferences in the 1st round. Don't remember where but it was a year or so back. If so, this kid is a non-issue.
While I was not stumping for the AK-PB kid, I'd point out that TT spent a #51 pick on a guy from Bethune-Cookman. There's usually not a lot separating 26 and 51...often just need and scheme.

I doubt big-school-in-the-first-round is a TT fixed principle; more like a matter of opportunity. Small school guys making anybody's top-of-the-board is uncommon because talent there is thin. And when a gem appears, the odds he'll be on the board at the time of a pick is serendipity.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
There are a lot of reports that Jenkins is about to sign a 3-year, $8M contract with the Giants. IMO his best fit with the Packers would have been as one of the two DL in the nickel, not as a starting DE in the 3-4. As I posted, I prefer Canty to Jenkins but the Packers will likely be without both.

slaughter25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There are a lot of reports that Jenkins is about to sign a 3-year, $8M contract with the Giants. IMO his best fit with the Packers would have been as one of the two DL in the nickel, not as a starting DE in the 3-4. As I posted, I prefer Canty to Jenkins but the Packers will likely be without both.

Just read this as well. its too bad 3 years around 8 mil would have been a pretty nice contract for him.

Members online

Latest posts