Eagles cut former packer

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
According to nfl.com, Jenkins started all 32 regular season games over the last two seasons in PHI.

In 2011 he recorded 32 tackles, 8 assists, 5.5 sacks and 1 pass defensed.
In 2012 he recorded 22 tackles, 4 assists, 4.0 sacks and 1 forced fumble.

In 2010, with the Packers in 11 games (8 started): 23 tackles, 9 assists, 7.0 sacks and 1 pass defensed.

He just turned 32, so at the right price... Did anyone see several Eagles games last season?

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
According to nfl.com, Jenkins started all 32 regular season games over the last two seasons in PHI.

In 2011 he recorded 32 tackles, 8 assists, 5.5 sacks and 1 pass defensed.
In 2012 he recorded 22 tackles, 4 assists, 4.0 sacks and 1 forced fumble.

In 2010, with the Packers in 11 games (8 started): 23 tackles, 9 assists, 7.0 sacks and 1 pass defensed.

He just turned 32, so at the right price... Did anyone see several Eagles games last season?

NFL Ticket! so yes i watched at least several. I think that Cullen can come in and take that other DE spot without question, and give us what we have lacked since he left the first time. Someone who can get to the qb and play the run without having to rotate. If he's cheap bring him back.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wouldn't that be something if Jenkins came back cheap and Goodell let Johnny Jolly back in the league. It'd be like Jack & Elwood getting the band back together. The only thing missing would be Rev. Cleophus, errrr, Reggie.

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow, who saw this ending coming for the eagles? Two years removed from a dream team and they are releasing guys, firing coaches and asking their best player to restructure their contract...

Thompson's philosophy never made so much sense.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow, who saw this ending coming for the eagles? Two years removed from a dream team and they are releasing guys, firing coaches and asking their best player to restructure their contract...

Thompson's philosophy never made so much sense.

What draft and develop? to a degree it doesn't but that's just my opinion.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not only that but smart free agent signings.

Yea he's usually not one to break the bank on a guy. I'm all for it unless i feel the guy can make a major difference in an area of NEED. Which is why i like for us to take a look at Jake Long if the price is right because imo LT is still a major need.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yea he's usually not one to break the bank on a guy. I'm all for it unless i feel the guy can make a major difference in an area of NEED. Which is why i like for us to take a look at Jake Long if the price is right because imo LT is still a major need.

Not to change the subject of the thread, but I want nothing to do with Long. He is seeking over $10M a year and is already a bit overrated and likely to be overpaid based on his status as a former first overall pick. IMO he is the kind of player that TT almost always avoids.

To the main point of the thread -- if Jenkins would come back for 2 years and $8M or so, I'd be thrilled to have him back.

texaspackerbacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not to change the subject of the thread, but I want nothing to do with Long. He is seeking over $10M a year and is already a bit overrated and likely to be overpaid based on his status as a former first overall pick. IMO he is the kind of player that TT almost always avoids.

To the main point of the thread -- if Jenkins would come back for 2 years and $8M or so, I'd be thrilled to have him back.

It sounds good to me, but I wonder if that bridge was burned. I doubt he left with a slap on the back and "go soak up some of the Eagles' money". Also, if Jenkins still has something in the tank, we may not be the only ones bidding for him.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've never heard of there being bad blood between Jenkins and the Packers. He may have been a little disappointed that there was never a long-term deal offered to him, but as a professional I think he does understand the nature of the business.

In fact, this link already reports Jenkins is interested in returning. http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...jenkins-would-be-interested-in-packer-return/

I can't see there being too strong of a bidding war over a 32 year old D-lineman, even if he does still have something left.

It's a great fit. We may not have Worthy this year and Jenkins is still very effective and probably will be for a couple more years, so he's a fantastic stop-gap. I know every free agent ex-Packer gets a courtesy mention here, but I see nothing to dislike about this possibility.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
It sounds good to me, but I wonder if that bridge was burned. I doubt he left with a slap on the back and "go soak up some of the Eagles' money". Also, if Jenkins still has something in the tank, we may not be the only ones bidding for him.
From the linked PFT piece: "Tom Silverstein of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel heard from a source that Jenkins 'would be interested' in returning to the Packers now that he’s on the open market." He's familiar with Green Bay and most of his teammates if he returns but my guess is he would be interested in the team willing to pay him the most money. And I don't blame him if that's the case.

Packer Fan in SD

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Might be this years Anthony Hargrove, except without the 8 game suspension which was huge in our decision to drop him. If only we would have known the suspensions would have been revoked. TT knows where our weakness is, CJ knows our system and most of the players. For the right price, he has a chance for another ring, and will not have to make minimum wage doing it. He got a nice payday, things didn't work out. Now make some money and get back to winning.

texaspackerbacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OK, sign him. Jenkins or Canty, both are worth considering, I think I'd take Jenkins over Canty if the money was the same. I think I'd still use the first round pick for a DE, though.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
If he's healthy, I prefer Canty to Jenkins and Silverstein sums up why here:
The Packers intend to kick the tires on former New York Giants end Chris Canty, whose size and run-playing ability are a better fit in the 3-4 defense. He can also fill a need at tackle in the nickel defense.
Still, Jenkins as a part-time rusher at a reasonable price would be something the Packers would have to explore. They have a pair of inside rushers in Mike Daniels and Mike Neal and really need a run-stopping end more than they do an inside player.

But Jenkins proved he could be effective against the run at end during the Packers' Super Bowl season and the investment probably would be worth it, especially if they can't sign Canty.
http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/193078641.html

I think Jenkins is better suited to the 4-3 and Canty would be stouter vs. the run at DE in the base while still providing pressure on the QB. But Canty is younger but probably more expensive. So I'll be happy if they sign either and if they sign either and draft a DL in the first couple of rounds I'll be even happier. (Unfortunately Thompson and staff appear to be wholly unconcerned with my happiness.)

slaughter25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Jenkins is better suited to the 4-3 and Canty would be stouter vs. the run at DE in the base while still providing pressure on the QB. But Canty is younger but probably more expensive. So I'll be happy if they sign either and if they sign either and draft a DL in the first couple of rounds I'll be even happier. (Unfortunately Thompson and staff appear to be wholly unconcerned with my happiness.)

I agree I think Canty would be a better fit but also have a bit larger price tag. Would like to see some new veterans to come in and make an impact on the DL this next season that is for sure

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Two years too late if he comes back. The sad reality is that even at 32 he would still be better than anyone we presently have at the position.

slaughter25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Two years too late if he comes back. The sad reality is that even at 32 he would still be better than anyone we presently have at the position.

It is a sad reality, but given the youth we have brought in last year and I'm guessing that trend of infusing this defense with youth will continue this off season. If we can bring in a guy that we know can give us 4-6 sacks and knows whats going on from the start we can focus the higher round picks on other immediate needs. The biggest thing Jenkins has been in the last 2 years is durable played 16 games each season. Just that consistency would be an upgrade from the whirlwind we are used to now.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It is a sad reality, but given the youth we have brought in last year and I'm guessing that trend of infusing this defense with youth will continue this off season. If we can bring in a guy that we know can give us 4-6 sacks and knows whats going on from the start we can focus the higher round picks on other immediate needs. The biggest thing Jenkins has been in the last 2 years is durable played 16 games each season. Just that consistency would be an upgrade from the whirlwind we are used to now.

And certain people on this forum were saying when we cut him loose he wasn't durable and that was reason enough to let him go. He played in every game for two seasons with the Eagles...even when hurt. I got a lot of grief at the time for saying letting Jenkins go was a huge mistake.

slaughter25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And certain people on this forum were saying when we cut him loose he wasn't durable and that was reason enough to let him go. He played in every game for two seasons with the Eagles...even when hurt. I got a lot of grief at the time for saying letting Jenkins go was a huge mistake.

I'll admit it I was part of the crew that he proved wrong on the durability front. I fear the injury bug may be a GB thing and not the players. I also have a feeling if he did sign here for the money the Eagles paid him we would be less than thrilled with 9.5 sacks over the last 2 years.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts