Dwayne Jarrett

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
40 Time at his Pro Day was a 4.62 and a 4.67. He showed pretty good agility though. However this type of speed to me proves he can't be a viable deep threat in this league. I don't think he'd be a good fit for the Pack because of that.

Personally I think he falls out of the top 20 and ends up being the 4th or 5th receiver off the board.

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
40 Time at his Pro Day was a 4.62 and a 4.67. He showed pretty good agility though. However this type of speed to me proves he can't be a viable deep threat in this league. I don't think he'd be a good fit for the Pack because of that.

Personally I think he falls out of the top 20 and ends up being the 4th or 5th receiver off the board.

I like the guys big frame and soft hands. I don't know why you think the deep threat is so important, but that's you.

OP
OP
P

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
porky88 said:

I like the guys big frame and soft hands. I don't know why you think the deep threat is so important, but that's you.

Who do we have that can stretch the field?

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
dhpackr said:
porky88 said:

How about DD
What was Cris Carter 40 yrd time?

OP
OP
P

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
porky88 said:
dhpackr said:
porky88 said:

How about DD

Driver isn't that much of a deep threat though. He's more of a possession WR that goes across the middle and gets you those tough yards. Jarrett is a tall target. He doesn’t have the speed to stretch the field and that’s what the Pack needs in my opinion.

What does Cris Carter’s 40 have to do with Dwayne Jarrett? They are different players.

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
dhpackr said:
porky88 said:
dhpackr said:
porky88 said:

How about DD

Driver isn't that much of a deep threat though. He's more of a possession WR that goes across the middle and gets you those tough yards. Jarrett is a tall target. He doesn’t have the speed to stretch the field and that’s what the Pack needs in my opinion.

What does Cris Carter’s 40 have to do with Dwayne Jarrett? They are different players.

Well, I'm thinking Jarrett could become the "Possession WR", and the Packers could move DD around , maybe even see DD running out of the slot on deeper routes.

Why are Cris Carter & Jarrrett two different WR? I think one(Cris Carter) was a great NFL WRer who didn't have blazing speed, and Jarrett has great size, soft hands, and even though he doesn't have blazing speed, Jarrett has the POTENTIAL to become a fine NFL WRer, like Cris Carter.

OP
OP
P

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
porky88 said:
dhpackr said:
porky88 said:
dhpackr said:
porky88 said:

How about DD

Well, I'm thinking Jarrett could become the "Possession WR", and the Packers could move DD around , maybe even see DD running out of the slot on deeper routes.

Why are Cris Carter & Jarrrett two different WR? I think one(Cris Carter) was a great NFL WRer who didn't have blazing speed, and Jarrett has great size, soft hands, and even though he doesn't have blazing speed, Jarrett has the POTENTIAL to become a fine NFL WRer, like Cris Carter.

Cris Carter is one of the 5 greatest wide outs to ever play the game in my opinion. I think it's a huge stretch to compare the two. I will say Jarrett has a lot of upside but you can't expect a slow guy to be the deep threat. Why move Driver around when he's already so good at what he does? I’d prefer to draft a guy like Meachem and let Driver continue to do what he does best. I'd be shocked if Jarrett went 16 or higher. Tennessee is really the only team I think would take him in the top 20 because of the ties to Norm Chow.

We obviously disagree so we'll find out I guess. :) I will say it's nice to discuss football with someone who responds about football.

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
you can't expect a slow guy to be the deep threat.

i don't, I'd use Jarrett as a red zone weapon down on the goalline, and as a possession WR.
Why move Driver around when he's already so good at what he does?

to keep DD healthy and prolong his career

I’d prefer to draft a guy like Meachem and let Driver continue to do what he does best.

It doesn't matter how fast a guy can run, if he can't catch the ball and is afraid to run over the middle, what good is he

We obviously disagree so we'll find out I guess. :) I will say it's nice to discuss football with someone who responds about football.

TY ;-)

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd think Meachem is a better option. He reminds me a lot of Javon Walker.

I agree with you, but I believe there is way too much emphasis put on player's 40 time.

Take Arizona Cardinals wide receiver Anquan Boldin for example. At Florida State , Boldin earned a reputation as one of the nation’s deadliest weapons. He led his squad in receiving and touchdowns as a junior in 2002, and had shown everything on game film that scouts tend to look for. But when he recorded times above 4.7 in the 40-yard dash at the combine, a time well below NFL standards for a wide receiver, Boldin paid the price. Arizona picked him up midway through the second round of the 2003 NFL Draft after five other wide receivers had been selected, including Bryant Johnson, who went to Arizona in round one.

Boldin proved the critics wrong and went on to earn AP Offensive Rookie of the Year honors after catching 101 passes for 1,377 yards.
link: http://www.draftstock.com/site_main/content/view/185/26/

Speed and athletic ability are very important, but even more important is how the player performs on the field. There are several cases of football players showing great ability in college who drop off because they don't have the right "measurables". If a player can get it done against some top college talent, then it's likely he'll become a good NFL player.

On the flip-side is a player who was average in college but has great measurables. That player typically makes big moves up on draft boards during the offseason. These are the players to avoid IMO. They have the size, strength and speed but never put it together in college. There's a good chance they won't be able to do well in the NFL either.

Jarrett is going to be a good WR in the NFL. His best attributes will likely be making the tough catches on jump balls. This can be very useful inside the 20 and when needing to convert a 1st down. The major negative to me isn't his 40 time, but rather his lapses in concentration.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Bobby I completely agree, we see a 40 time for a guy and go, 4.62 wow, he can't seperate or won't make it in the NFL because he is too slow. Jerry Rice had the almost the exact same 40, could he play. Now I am not drawing a direct comparison to Rice, but he is a tall lengthy reciever that has argueably the best hands in the draft and moreso, great body control and ball skills. 40's don't catch balls in the air.

With that said, I don't think he is the best WR in the draft or maybe even in the top three. This I am willing to stake my name to, he will not flop like Williams did. Go back and pull some footage of Williams, he wasn't half the route runner that Jarrett is.

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jarrett’s Pro day time is worse than it looks on the surface.

Prior to the combine Jarrett worked with trainers to get a decent 40 time but could not get out of the 4.7’s, so he did not run at the combine.

So instead of running at the combine, he continued to work hard with speed trainers and dropped his weight to 214 lbs, ran on turf with a breeze behind him (though not a significant one) and posts a 4.67 and a 4.62 at his Pro Day, where players almost always post better than at the combine..

For a guy 6-4 he did not have a great vertical or broad jump and his 3 cone drill was unimpressive.

However, speed is just one of the red flags on Jarrett's play. Others include that he doesn't play terribly physically for a big guy, he struggle to get of the line when pressed and some scouts question how he will handled being pressed by the stronger, more aggressive CB's in the NFL.

I have also heard whispers/questions about his intelligence -- especially related to recognizing coverage’s. Most scouts question his route-running, which I would guess most will admit leave something to be desired.

While I have heard some praise Jarrett's confidence in this ability, I have heard others counter with questioning his maturity. He sure does not like to hear any one question any of the potential flaws in his game -- saying he flips from dismissive to full blown denial that he has anything to work on.

On the plus he has great size and is long which is nice when combined with good hands. In fairness I should add that he has great technique for a WR as a blocker -- again something that great coaching has contributed.

Don’t forget that the USC spin machine has made many players look good in their program, and through hype get GM’s to ignore obvious red flags because of their production in the machine. The names Williams and White are a couple of recent examples of guys who have done nothing in the PRO’s yet the talking heads all declared them can’t miss based upon their USC production -- beware of Pete Carroll and the USC hype machine.

Pack93z

Reaction score
Hey Bruce - I enjoy your posts and I agree that Carroll and the USC machine adds to the success as a college althete. But that can work both ways in my opinion and I agree that Williams and White need to step it up or be labeled as a flop. I haven't heard the maturity questions with regard to Jarrett and that moreso would be a red flag. I really wish for a fan that they would publish the interview sessions or out takes of them.

A question for the board on a little different topic, Lynch and what the Cal program is saying about him, PFT had a bit on it, is there any truth to it? That it is less than positive?

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey Bruce - I enjoy your posts and I agree that Carroll and the USC machine adds to the success as a college althete. But that can work both ways in my opinion and I agree that Williams and White need to step it up or be labeled as a flop. I haven't heard the maturity questions with regard to Jarrett and that moreso would be a red flag. I really wish for a fan that they would publish the interview sessions or out takes of them.

A question for the board on a little different topic, Lynch and what the Cal program is saying about him, PFT had a bit on it, is there any truth to it? That it is less than positive?

There is plenty of buzz related to Jarrett going off on the Williams comparisons, but even outside of that here is some of the public opinions about him:

"Jarrett, who believes and acts as if he has superstar ability, is a me-first player who could become a clubhouse cancer because he never will be the focus of an NFL offense."

-- The Sporting News (#7 ranked WR)

"There's some speculation regarding his work ethic being inconsistent. Minor character concerns due to NCAA violations in summer of 2006."

-- Scouts, Inc.

"Is still young and a little immature."

-- Pro Football Weekly

"Has minor character concerns."

-- nfldraftcountdown.com

Pack93z

Reaction score
Pack93z said:

There is plenty of buzz related to Jarrett going off on the Williams comparisons, but even outside of that here is some of the public opinions about him:

"Jarrett, who believes and acts as if he has superstar ability, is a me-first player who could become a clubhouse cancer because he never will be the focus of an NFL offense."

-- The Sporting News (#7 ranked WR)

"There's some speculation regarding his work ethic being inconsistent. Minor character concerns due to NCAA violations in summer of 2006."

-- Scouts, Inc.

"Is still young and a little immature."

-- Pro Football Weekly

"Has minor character concerns."

-- nfldraftcountdown.com

I didn't see the sporting news one, but the others, what makes them say he is immature. points of reference I guess moreso. Not looking for you to have the answers, but in general, what made them form that opinion. Thanks for the info:)

I think there was alot more than a couple NCAA violations at SoCal but we are never going to hear about them.

paxvogel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In my mind he is third round talent. He can catch the ball but there is a big difference between college and NFL in terms of speed of play and he will be left standing. He is DD without speed and I don't see where we need him at all. Someone will take him between 20 and 40 IMO but I don't see a lot of upside.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts