Drews contract issues

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It always amazes me how people who have no knowledge of what has transpired in a contract negotiation choose to declare that one side or the other is being "greedy" or is otherwise at fault.

Its been widely reported (and accepted by most saints fans even) that Drew Brees was offered a contract that would make him the highest paid player in NFL history. http://www.sportsnola.com/sports/sa...akes-drew-brees-nfls-highest-paid-player.html

Thought a saints fan would be more up on his team than that.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can Brees be fined for "holding out" come training camp or regular season even though he is not under contract? I'm not sure what the franchise tag rules say about that.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can Brees be fined for "holding out" come training camp or regular season even though he is not under contract? I'm not sure what the franchise tag rules say about that.

No. He must sign by July 16th to a long term contract or he loses the ability to sign one until after the season. As far as being franchised he can hold out, but at a certain point in the season of he doesn't show up they will continue to just hold his rights. So either play for the saints or don't play at all. He could play and the saints could franchise him again next season but the number would be extremely high, I think 26 mil or something like that.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks, I was pretty sure they couldn't fine him. But for all the people who say they won't sign their tender, I believe Brees. He isn't going to get burned again.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks, I was pretty sure they couldn't fine him. But for all the people who say they won't sign their tender, I believe Brees. He isn't going to get burned again.

I don't think he will sit out the season but I think he will do everything shy of that to get the most out of the saints. But really, at what point is that counterproductive? His image has already taken a hit. Sitting out a season will make him the poster boy for greedy athletes, as fair or unfair as that would be.

morningwood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Its been widely reported (and accepted by most saints fans even) that Drew Brees was offered a contract that would make him the highest paid player in NFL history. http://www.sportsnola.com/sports/sa...akes-drew-brees-nfls-highest-paid-player.html

Thought a saints fan would be more up on his team than that.

I never said there were not media reports claiming to have inside information about the anticipated value of the contract. That's nothing new -- anyone who follows football knows there have been all kinds of reports.

Of course, just because a story is "widely reported" doesn't necessarily make it true. More importantly, you should realize that even if the reports are accurate you still don't have enough information to judge either of the parties. The total value of the contract does not tell the whole story. The contract could be structured so that the total value (or potential value) is very misleading.

Like I said, you really don't know.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I never said there were not media reports claiming to have inside information about the anticipated value of the contract. That's nothing new -- anyone who follows football knows there have been all kinds of reports.

Of course, just because a story is "widely reported" doesn't necessarily make it true. More importantly, you should realize that even if the reports are accurate you still don't have enough information to judge either of the parties. The total value of the contract does not tell the whole story. The contract could be structured so that the total value (or potential value) is very misleading.

Like I said, you really don't know.

See I trust Ed, even more so when a report like that isn't dismissed by Drews camp.

Bottom line is the face of your franchise is holding out for a large contract when the team needs him the most. His leadership he preaches kinda seems superficial at this point. Guess he is just like every other athlete. All about the money. But drew wasn't a superstar in SD, so maybe he should be thankful of the system around him.

morningwood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Actually Drew has stated publicly that the numbers that have been reported in the media are exagerated. And again, just hearing the total value of a contract does not tell you a whole lot. You don't know anything about how the contract is structured, which in the NFL is everything.

I know you are all wet with excitement over the idea you have trolling material, but this is really not that big of a deal. Drew will play this season and we all know it.

Your troll is weak.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Actually Drew has stated publicly that the numbers that have been reported in the media are exagerated. And again, just hearing the total value of a contract does not tell you a whole lot. You don't know anything about how the contract is structured, which in the NFL is everything.

I know you are all wet with excitement over the idea you have trolling material, but this is really not that big of a deal. Drew will play this season and we all know it.

Your troll is weak.

First off you are on a packer forum so if anyone is here trolling it would be you.
Second, google what a troll is bc you clearly have no idea.
And third, try, like I do, to provide links or some sort of documentation to your claims... Wire taps from Loomis will suffice

Lastly, hey I understand man, the packers had a diva QB too at one point. Don't get mad bro :) ...

morningwood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There is no reason for me to provide cites to every statement that I make in a post. I don't have a reputation for making crap up.

But I can certainly see why some would need to do that based on their posting history. BTW, do you still claim that your iphone auto corrects "Daniel" to "Daniels"?

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There is no reason for me to provide cites to every statement that I make in a post. I don't have a reputation for making crap up.

But I can certainly see why some would need to do that based on their posting history. BTW, do you still claim that your iphone auto corrects "Daniel" to "Daniels"?

Lmao Yes my iPhone missed a S you got me.

Making stuff up... Like drew brees saying the saints aren't negotiating in good faith? http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...-faith-in-brees-negotiation-are-way-off-base/

morningwood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Actually what you claimed was that it added an "s." Of course, that is easy enough to check -- and the iphone does not auto correct Daniel to Daniels. Very dissapointing that you would blame Apple for your transgressions. I think we may have to start a new thread about ivo's allegations about his iphone.

In any event, I do not care that the contract negotiations are dragging out. I am not "mad" at Loomis and I am not mad at Brees. This is business, and neither side should be faulted for trying to get the best deal they can.

Unless you know the actual positions of each party then you really have no basis for judging the each party's role in the negotiations. You may think you know, but you really don't.

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
I had a dream the other night the Saints made the SB. What was funny was Sean Payton was in the bar I was in and when I asked him if he was suprised he said, "No I expected this" and smirked at me. And he seemed pretty happy.

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
Dude, he should eventually get signed. He just sees the load of cash the Broncos gave a 36 year old Manning and believes he should get as much if not more since he is still in his prime.

morningwood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I had a dream the other night the Saints made the SB. What was funny was Sean Payton was in the bar I was in and when I asked him if he was suprised he said, "No I expected this" and smirked at me. And he seemed pretty happy.

You're going to look like a genius on 2/3/13. Ms. Cleo has nothing on you.

morningwood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dude, he should eventually get signed. He just sees the load of cash the Broncos gave a 36 year old Manning and believes he should get as much if not more since he is still in his prime.

I do think he will be signed, and since he has the same agent as Manning there is no doubt Manning's contract is very much on their minds -- of course it would have been anyway.

It's just a tough spot, Drew is certainly not wrong in thinking he is worth as much (if not more) than Manning. And Loomis, or any other GM, is certainly not wrong in thinking that top players take up too much of a team's cap.

But, one way or another it will get done.

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
You're going to look like a genius on 2/3/13. Ms. Cleo has nothing on you.

Of course you only made the SB in my vivid dream but the AFC is meh and who is going to beat NO if they host their own Super Bowl?

I am sure the league would loooooove to see NO win it all.

morningwood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LOL, yeah Goodell's worst nightmare would be to hand the Lombardi over to Joe Vitt in NOLA. I am not one of those who thinks that the bounty issue is a conspiracy to keep NO out of a hometown SB, but at this point I would not put it past Goodell to come down ******* any Saints player if he gets the opportunity during the course of the season. Integrity of the shield my buttocks.

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
LOL, yeah Goodell's worst nightmare would be to hand the Lombardi over to Joe Vitt in NOLA. I am not one of those who thinks that the bounty issue is a conspiracy to keep NO out of a hometown SB, but at this point I would not put it past Goodell to come down ******* any Saints player if he gets the opportunity during the course of the season. Integrity of the shield my buttocks.

The longer the bounty issue goes on the more foolish to me it all looks. The more holes you can poke in a lot of it. But, I doubt they take away any of the punishments.

However, I do get the feeling from Brees that he is itching to tear up the league next season. He will eventually get signed. For Gods sakes, Andrew Luck isn't even signed yet. He says he is not worried but I know he will be signed before camp.

morningwood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It would not surprsie me if there were no reductions, but I think Hargrove stands a better chance than anyone.

Of course they will ever show it, but the NFL has to feel pretty stupid about claiming he was was the one who said give me my money. And without that, what else is there? Yeah, they say he "lied" to them. But even assuming that is true, Vitt was interviewed and received fewer games than Hargrove. How the hell does that make sense?

Of course it doesn't make sense, the league is just changing it's theory as it goes along.

jaybadger82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think he will sit out the season but I think he will do everything shy of that to get the most out of the saints. But really, at what point is that counterproductive? His image has already taken a hit. Sitting out a season will make him the poster boy for greedy athletes, as fair or unfair as that would be.

C'mon. Brees played for San Diego under a franchise tag in 2005 and it nearly cost him his career. No semi-knowledgeable fan is going to hold it against him for wanting a long-term deal. (You'll have to cite some sources suggesting that Brees' image is taking a hit.) Far from being a poster boy for greedy athletes, he has given back to the community extensively through a variety of charity activities.

Your agenda is a bit cracked and much of what you've said here is out of touch.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
C'mon. Brees played for San Diego under a franchise tag in 2005 and it nearly cost him his career. No semi-knowledgeable fan is going to hold it against him for wanting a long-term deal. (You'll have to cite some sources suggesting that Brees' image is taking a hit.) Far from being a poster boy for greedy athletes, he has given back to the community extensively through a variety of charity activities.

Your agenda is a bit cracked and much of what you've said here is out of touch.

Trying reading the whole thing next time and you won't appear so out of touch yourself with the posting.

My issue with Brees isn't him holding out for a long term contract, it's him turning down an offer to make him the highest paid player in the league in order to get more money from the team. Greed. Pure greed.

Here is your source for his image taking a hit. Did you want more or are you familiar with how google works?

http://m.nfl.com/news/09000d5d82a42ed9/

jaybadger82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Trying reading the whole thing next time and you won't appear so out of touch yourself with the posting.

My issue with Brees isn't him holding out for a long term contract, it's him turning down an offer to make him the highest paid player in the league in order to get more money from the team. Greed. Pure greed.

Here is your source for his image taking a hit. Did you want more or are you familiar with how google works?

http://m.nfl.com/news/09000d5d82a42ed9/

Pretty weak support for your characterization: the source is NFL.com and it contains a single statement by an unnamed player and another by an unnamed player's agent both commenting on the NFLPA's readiness to file a grievance on behalf of Brees over the franchise tag (they seem jealous to me). The fact that you had to use Google to locate an article/blog post that hardly supports your characterization is telling. Call me when "Breesus" becomes the target of widespread criticism. The reality is that the guy's overall popularity is not taking a significant hit.

An offer is never as simple as making someone the highest paid player in the league: I could offer you $175 million over ten years, making you the highest paid player in the NFL, but if only $10 million is guaranteed, that doesn't make it a great offer. The devil is in the details. Unless you're privy to the contract negotiations or you like being a tool, maybe you shouldn't be so anxious repeat whatever is "leaked" from the day's negotiations...

Magilla

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really don't see how anyone would think that Brees image is taking a hit. I would say that 90% of the folks I have spoken to about it agree that Brees is right. I also think he is right. Breea was the best QB during the regular season in 2011 and he done so much for his team and their city.

NO Saints need to end this nonsense and pay the man what he is worth.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pretty weak support for your characterization: the source is NFL.com and it contains a single statement by an unnamed player and another by an unnamed player's agent both commenting on the NFLPA's readiness to file a grievance on behalf of Brees over the franchise tag (they seem jealous to me). The fact that you had to use Google to locate an article/blog post that hardly supports your characterization is telling. Call me when "Breesus" becomes the target of widespread criticism. The reality is that the guy's overall popularity is not taking a significant hit.

An offer is never as simple as making someone the highest paid player in the league: I could offer you $175 million over ten years, making you the highest paid player in the NFL, but if only $10 million is guaranteed, that doesn't make it a great offer. The devil is in the details. Unless you're privy to the contract negotiations or you like being a tool, maybe you shouldn't be so anxious repeat whatever is "leaked" from the day's negotiations...

You think it's weak that I used google to find an article I previously read? Interesting... Would it have pleased you more if I had searched nfl.com?

In fact it was the first thing that popped up when I googled Brees under news.

If you spend time in saints messages boards you will see its split on people and how they feel about his greed.

Members online

Latest posts