Drafting Breno

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We've been talking about Thompson's drafts quite a bit in various threads, so I wanted to ask kind of a specific question and get opinions from the masses. Thompson drafted Breno Giacomini in the 5th round of the 2008 draft. He tried for two years to make the 53-man roster but couldn't do it. In 2010 we cut him, he cleared waivers, and then put him on our practice squad. The Vikings then talked to him about signing to their 53-man but ultimately the Seahawks signed him after Week 3. He was cut a month later and then re-signed by Seattle for the 2011 season. He was a backup at first and then has started much of the past two seasons with mixed success. He is starting to play better but is still a far cry from a Pro Bowl right tackle.

Back to my original question, if a guy like Giacomini succeeds as a starting RT for another team and he was signed away from the Packers, do you still give credit to the GM that drafted him?

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Back to my original question, if a guy like Giacomini succeeds as a starting RT for another team and he was signed away from the Packers, do you still give credit to the GM that drafted him?
No.
If Jerron McMillian, now claimed by Kansas City, turns out to become good for them, then do you blame Ted for releasing him?
Or credit him for drafting him?

It's neither.
Or it's both.

And then you look at positional coaches.

OP
OP
El Guapo

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the distinction is between guys that you cut or release versus guys that are stolen off of your practice squad. McMillian clearly did not work in our system, and possibly, in the NFL.

Drafted players on the practice squad are there because we plan/hope to use them in the future.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I pray We cut MD Jennings and the Lions, Vikings, or Bears sign him. Right along with Marshall Newhouse. Then i will consider TT a mastermind . I like TT's approach more now..draft duds, cut them, and then see if they get picked up within the division! Brilliant! all this time i was thinking TT was over-rated. Shame on me!

Last edited:
OP
OP
El Guapo

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you look back in history, the backup tackle spot eventually came down to Newhouse or Giacomini. The Packers obviously chose Newhouse. I'm really not sure that even in hindsight that it was the wrong decision. There is definite sentiment in Seahawk land to draft a RT to replace Giacomini. I guess that we'll all get another chance to watch him this Sunday.

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you look back in history, the backup tackle spot eventually came down to Newhouse or Giacomini. The Packers obviously chose Newhouse. I'm really not sure that even in hindsight that it was the wrong decision. There is definite sentiment in Seahawk land to draft a RT to replace Giacomini. I guess that we'll all get another chance to watch him this Sunday.

I'm no different than any other fan that almost every summer I cringe when I see the Packers cuts and there are a few guys where I'm thinking.... "Wow, I really liked that guy. That sucks. I wonder who will grab him." On the Packer fan forums and around the water cooler we all talk about what we think are kind of "surprising" (if not stupid) cuts.

Then fast forward to the season and those guys that we thought were sooooo good are either not even on a team or if they are, are not playing. This has happened so many times now that I stopped even second guessing Ted on these things like I used to.

In other instances we know that it's a numbers game and somebody has to go. That's happened several times over the past few years. We'll have waaay more players at a position than we can roster and some decent players are let go.

Regarding Newhouse, this is one Packer that's had plenty of chances with this team and I'm really hoping we can find better. IMO... his time is up in Green bay.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Newhouse just "looks" the part. Perfect size.
He's just not quick twitch enough or nasty.

OP
OP
El Guapo

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it's a forgone conclusion that Newhouse will be gone this season. Greg VanRoten and Tretter will push him off of the roster along with the return of Bulaga and the strong likelihood of a low-round OL pick in the draft.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Newhouse just "looks" the part. Perfect size.
He's just not quick twitch enough or nasty.

Newhouse looks the part and has all of the athleticism you want, his problem was always concentration. Somehow he's become even worse as a backup than he was as a starter.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Texans had Tramon in camp and let him go. Sometimes guys thrive with different systems or coaches or scenery.

Walden a good season for the most part with the Colts, Zombo was servicable for the Chiefs. I find that kind of concerning that at least Walden was better with another team since he was here so long.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Texans had Tramon in camp and let him go. Sometimes guys thrive with different systems or coaches or scenery.
Here's the thing: Guys get paid on the other side of the ball too.
Tramon didn't stick in Houston, but he made it with us.
Al Harris was just okay in Philly, but with us after awhile, became a Pro Bowler.

It sometimes takes time, patience.

Hell, even Tramon THIS YEAR.
Half of us wanted him out of here thru October, November.
But then he played better.
Sometimes, CB's get beaten.
Sometimes they make the play.
Sometimes the pass in is perfect and beats them.
Sometimes the pass is off a bit and the CB makes the play.

It ain't always black and white, although at CB, it's never.... point is, sometimes Tramon will get the better of a guy, but sometimes the other guy will.

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Walden a good season for the most part with the Colts, Zombo was servicable for the Chiefs. I find that kind of concerning that at least Walden was better with another team since he was here so long.

I can't remember a Packer player in recent memory that his stock dropped as much as Walden's did with the Packers in such a short time. Well.... maybe Raji would be close.

...but that guy looked like a complete animal before getting hurt. Then he was supposedly somewhat "healed" but he looked BRUTAL. To me it looked like effort and I don't get it.

OP
OP
El Guapo

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jeff Saturday - hailed as a veteran savior at center on arrival, but had only a half gallon of gas left in the tank.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Regarding Breno, I remember him in preseason attempting to pass block and thinking it looked like his feet were stuck in mud. He just didn’t look agile enough and Newhouse did (although unfortunately he has other problems, doesn’t he?) so I had no problem with them putting him on the PS.

I agree there’s a difference between players signed off the PS and those waived when analyzing the GM. IMO Thompson gets credit for drafting an NFL caliber player in the fifth round and – just my opinion – I don’t criticize him for putting him on the PS since I didn’t think he was ready to contribute at the time but had potential. BTW I think Breno benefited by going to more of a run-first team.

OP
OP
El Guapo

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's pretty much how I was thinking of grading a GM's pick, such as Giacomini. He provided a good example of it. Allen Barbre is a similar example but in the other way, he was waived (albeit with an injury settlement) but subsequently has turned into a versatile backup for Philly - not a starter though. I still think that was a good move, and Barbre found himself after bouncing around the league a bit.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
No.
If Jerron McMillian, now claimed by Kansas City, turns out to become good for them, then do you blame Ted for releasing him?
Or credit him for drafting him?

It's neither.
Or it's both.

And then you look at positional coaches.
Unless you blame Darren Perry for failing to develop a guy he allegedly pounded the table to get.

I give TT credit for Breno, but I can't give full credit because of scheme. He was a damn good football player who just didn't fit our scheme. Some may remember me saying something similar about another OL in a different thread.

Walden, Zombo, both Ross, Guy, Wynn, and even Tollefson **** me off. I blame our position coaches. Zombo HEALTHY for KC ****** me off the most. What the hell is in the water here?

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Newhouse looks the part and has all of the athleticism you want, his problem was always concentration. Somehow he's become even worse as a backup than he was as a starter.
His mindset was an issue too. He saw himself as a LT when he would have been a better RT if he had just gotten his brain fixed. Barclay's brain in Newhouse's body would be hell for opposing defenses.

D3uc3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We've been talking about Thompson's drafts quite a bit in various threads, so I wanted to ask kind of a specific question and get opinions from the masses. Thompson drafted Breno Giacomini in the 5th round of the 2008 draft. He tried for two years to make the 53-man roster but couldn't do it. In 2010 we cut him, he cleared waivers, and then put him on our practice squad. The Vikings then talked to him about signing to their 53-man but ultimately the Seahawks signed him after Week 3. He was cut a month later and then re-signed by Seattle for the 2011 season. He was a backup at first and then has started much of the past two seasons with mixed success. He is starting to play better but is still a far cry from a Pro Bowl right tackle.

No because he didn't stay in Green Bay we don't know how much time and Effort Seattle put in to him succeeding to take it away from Pete Carroll and his staff is just taking credit for something honestly we had no parts in.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Unless you blame Darren Perry for failing to develop a guy he allegedly pounded the table to get.

I give TT credit for Breno, but I can't give full credit because of scheme. He was a damn good football player who just didn't fit our scheme. Some may remember me saying something similar about another OL in a different thread.

Walden, Zombo, both Ross, Guy, Wynn, and even Tollefson **** me off. I blame our position coaches. Zombo HEALTHY for KC ****** me off the most. What the hell is in the water here?

Whatever is in the water apparently keeps Lovat employed. There was a coaching report done by Yahoo that I saw yesterday and it had grades on TT, MM,DC and Lovat and it called for Lovat to be terminated.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
If the guy takes 5 years to finally start to play worth a crap, then nobody gets credit. I say draft picks needs to show potential their first year, play decent their 2nd year and be productive their 3rd year or they aint worth a crap.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts