Draft Strategy Opinion Poll

Mel-MinAlum

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It was brought up in the Trade# 32 thread that some people are of the mind set that doing everything possible to obtain first thru fourth round picks in this year's draft is critical to the Packer's short term success. I can only assume this means trading picks in future drafts and/or current players. I was a bit closed minded when I first read that, but I was reminded that it was only an opinion and others may feel the same way. I am just wondering how many share this view, and why, or what your general draft strategy is without speculating on specific players or targeting a need.

Calhoun Lambeau

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It comes down to who's there at #32, that's all it ever comes down to. If his guy is there, within striking range, he'll make the pick. If his guys are gone, and his next guy is lower, and he can find a partner, he'll trade down. It all depends on if his guy is in range, and if he can get a good deal with a partner.

As long as he gets a good player, I don't care what he does with the 32nd pick. I think a lot of fans here are going overboard with over analyzing the situation to be honest, acting like the 32nd pick in the draft could possibly off-set our future over the next few years.

Just because we're winning now doesn't mean the strategy changes. Thompson flooded the roster with his picks to get the transition moving. Now the roster is all his, and he doesn't need to trade down, and trade down, and trade down. He's just got to keep doing what he's been doing and we'll be fine.

The notion of trading up, and acquiring as many first-day picks as possible is just a silly view made by some fans who want frosting on the cupcake, those people need to settle down.

Thompson for the first time this year will be losing some of his guys to FA, and Jenkins, etc. My best guess is that he stays within the basic pick area, not too many picks, not too few.

Members online

Latest posts