Draft some offensive lineman

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
New strategy. We should just draft 'little people' to play OL. The entire problem is pad level afterall.

Personally, I think 90% of the problem is coaching. I think we replace Campen (which will happen right after the season) and our line improves significantly, without the addition of any new players. I think we have 4 guys who can play - either they are already good, or could easily develop into effective lineman. Perhaps Newhouse or McDonald could develop also, and our line is complete. Still, I would look to add one or two more in the draft in the first few rounds.

But that is just hoping that the BPA is an OL when our pick comes up. Above all, TT needs to continue with the BPA strategy. If you draft for need, your team will suffer. You never know what your needs are going to be. Who thought in training camp that TE would be a need? Didn't everyone think that CB was a huge need? That is looking very strong now.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kitten, do not take my brilliant ideas and turn them into your own...lol. Didn't I write you once and say something like "the Green Bay Packers with the 32nd pick (because we won SB) in the first round, draft the entire University of Wisconsin O-Line?
Our current line has some age at important positions, and the guards are not fast enough to pull for sweep or screens.

Just finished watching HBO's "Lombardi" for the third time. At the end they were showing his gravestone and so I looked up where he was buried. It's Mt. Olivett Cemetary in Middleton, New Jersey. Is that fairly close to you?

Sorry if I did, or it may just be a case where great minds think alike!!!

erik_m_vos

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't understand how people think our Oline is that bad all of the sudden. Our offensive stats have still been very good and we're still in the playoff hunt.

Lets look at 2008:
4038 passing yards
1800 rushing yards

IN 2009
4400 Passing yards
1800 Rushing yards

This season
3200 passing yards
1200 rushing yards

Now take the Jets... arguably a very good oline

2800 passing yards
1800 rushing yards (not THAT much different and two GOOD Hb's)

How about the Patriots Decent Oline

3300 passing yards
1400 rushing yards

Point being, if our Oline was that horrid, we wouldn't be faring that well in offensive yards and scoring and most certainly wouldn't be 8-5 and in the playoff hunt!

Green Bay is 14th this year for sacks let up at 29 (remember 2008???)
Green Bay is 24th and near the bottom for QB hits at 53

Clifton and Tauscher are both getting old, but we have a replacement for Tauscher in Bulaga who will develop nicely. I think Lang will turn around and be decent. Sitton is a stud.... Wells is ok in my mind, but not BAD. Colledge is sloppy.

We could use another OT in the draft to replace Clifton when he goes. Either develop Lang further or draft one. We need a left guard badly. Spitz would be a good idea there, but his recovery from injury isn't there I thought it would be.

Our line isn't THAT bad. It's just not what it was with two pro bowl tackles anymore. But give that time, and we'll have that again. They're young, and improving

erik_m_vos

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd be fine taking O linemen for our 1st and 2nd round picks. I'm just tired of seeing Rodgers get destroyed every game. It's going to be a short career for him at this rate. Also, I think that our running game would be fine if we had a line that was worth a damn. Grant/Starks/Jackson would be fine behind a quality line.

Every QB gets hit and Rodgers doesn't get hit as much as most this season. Our running have is NOT our offensive line. Our Oline was built for the zone blocking scheme which Ryan Grant excels at. You think he could get 1200 yards and 10 tds with a BAD line? Jackson isn't the answer in the zone blocking scheme obviously. The Oline isn't the problem and there really IS no problem. Remember? 8-5 on verge of playoffs despite tons of injuries? We just have a weak running back corp.

aaronqb

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Every QB gets hit and Rodgers doesn't get hit as much as most this season. Our running have is NOT our offensive line. Our Oline was built for the zone blocking scheme which Ryan Grant excels at. You think he could get 1200 yards and 10 tds with a BAD line? Jackson isn't the answer in the zone blocking scheme obviously. The Oline isn't the problem and there really IS no problem. Remember? 8-5 on verge of playoffs despite tons of injuries? We just have a weak running back corp.

no doubt you are right

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
It all starts with the line, if you can't protect your QB or open holes for your RB you're done.
Gabe Carimi
Gabe Carimi
Gabe Carimi
Gabe Carimi
Gabe Carimi

Git r done.
I'm inclined to think that it's as much the coach's fault, we've been drafting linemen for years, but however it's gotta go, we need to fix that line.
I never thought for a second Bulaga would fall to us, but he did, so I'm holding hope Carimi does.
Oh, we should also FIRE SLOCUM.

Cardsmc25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like the sounds of Nate Solder from Colorado. Used to be a tight end and is a tall dude with lots of reach. Anyone see him play?

Latest posts