1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Draft some offensive lineman

Discussion in '2011 Draft Archive' started by gatorpack, Dec 12, 2010.

1. AmishMafia

AmishMafia There's cheese under that hat

The heart of Amish Country, Las Vegas, NV
    Ratings Received:
    +1,398 / 50 / -4
    New strategy. We should just draft 'little people' to play OL. The entire problem is pad level afterall.

Personally, I think 90% of the problem is coaching. I think we replace Campen (which will happen right after the season) and our line improves significantly, without the addition of any new players. I think we have 4 guys who can play - either they are already good, or could easily develop into effective lineman. Perhaps Newhouse or McDonald could develop also, and our line is complete. Still, I would look to add one or two more in the draft in the first few rounds.

But that is just hoping that the BPA is an OL when our pick comes up. Above all, TT needs to continue with the BPA strategy. If you draft for need, your team will suffer. You never know what your needs are going to be. Who thought in training camp that TE would be a need? Didn't everyone think that CB was a huge need? That is looking very strong now.
  2. Kitten

Kitten Feline Cheesehead Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +1,383 / 7 / -1
    Packer Fan Since:

Sorry if I did, or it may just be a case where great minds think alike!!!
  3. erik_m_vos

erik_m_vos Cheesehead

Ratings Received:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    I don't understand how people think our Oline is that bad all of the sudden. Our offensive stats have still been very good and we're still in the playoff hunt.

Lets look at 2008:
    4038 passing yards
    1800 rushing yards

IN 2009
    4400 Passing yards
    1800 Rushing yards

This season
    3200 passing yards
    1200 rushing yards

Now take the Jets... arguably a very good oline

2800 passing yards
    1800 rushing yards (not THAT much different and two GOOD Hb's)

How about the Patriots Decent Oline

3300 passing yards
    1400 rushing yards

Point being, if our Oline was that horrid, we wouldn't be faring that well in offensive yards and scoring and most certainly wouldn't be 8-5 and in the playoff hunt!

Green Bay is 14th this year for sacks let up at 29 (remember 2008???)
    Green Bay is 24th and near the bottom for QB hits at 53

Clifton and Tauscher are both getting old, but we have a replacement for Tauscher in Bulaga who will develop nicely. I think Lang will turn around and be decent. Sitton is a stud.... Wells is ok in my mind, but not BAD. Colledge is sloppy.

We could use another OT in the draft to replace Clifton when he goes. Either develop Lang further or draft one. We need a left guard badly. Spitz would be a good idea there, but his recovery from injury isn't there I thought it would be.

Our line isn't THAT bad. It's just not what it was with two pro bowl tackles anymore. But give that time, and we'll have that again. They're young, and improving
  4. erik_m_vos

erik_m_vos Cheesehead

Ratings Received:
    +8 / 0 / -0

Every QB gets hit and Rodgers doesn't get hit as much as most this season. Our running have is NOT our offensive line. Our Oline was built for the zone blocking scheme which Ryan Grant excels at. You think he could get 1200 yards and 10 tds with a BAD line? Jackson isn't the answer in the zone blocking scheme obviously. The Oline isn't the problem and there really IS no problem. Remember? 8-5 on verge of playoffs despite tons of injuries? We just have a weak running back corp.
  5. aaronqb

aaronqb Cheesehead

Ratings Received:
    +73 / 0 / -0
    no doubt you are right
  6. Mr. StyleZ

Mr. StyleZ Banned Banned

Ratings Received:
    +375 / 5 / -0
    Gabe Carimi
    Gabe Carimi
    Gabe Carimi
    Gabe Carimi
    Gabe Carimi

Git r done.
  7. 98Redbird

98Redbird Cheesehead

Ratings Received:
    +220 / 6 / -2
    I don't think anyone can look at our O-Line play this year and say with a straight face that they are not a weak link...
  8. DevilDon

DevilDon Inclement Weather Fan

Ratings Received:
    +443 / 15 / -5
    It all starts with the line, if you can't protect your QB or open holes for your RB you're done.
    I'm inclined to think that it's as much the coach's fault, we've been drafting linemen for years, but however it's gotta go, we need to fix that line.
    I never thought for a second Bulaga would fall to us, but he did, so I'm holding hope Carimi does.
    Oh, we should also FIRE SLOCUM.
  9. Cardsmc25

Cardsmc25 Cheesehead

Ratings Received:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    I like the sounds of Nate Solder from Colorado. Used to be a tight end and is a tall dude with lots of reach. Anyone see him play?