Draft some offensive lineman

gatorpack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Olinemen only please.. This is crazy there is no need to settle with our horrible oline.

The pats could turn b jax into a 1000yd runner and jax isnt very good.. We need a oline that can pass block and run block.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oline would be wonderful. Not even that picky if its a guard or tackle. Both? yes please. Sadly I have no idea right now who we have a shot at.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can we clone the Badger's entire O line? Haha! I'm really not ready to give up on the guys we already have. They have proved they can play elite already, have a little faith in them! Maybe we should be standing by them and supporting them when they struggle.

Incubes12

Bay Harbor Butcher?
Reaction score
Can we clone the Badger's entire O line? Haha! I'm really not ready to give up on the guys we already have. They have proved they can play elite already, have a little faith in them! Maybe we should be standing by them and supporting them when they struggle.

I think it's safe to give up on some of them, Colledge is certainly replaceable.

Oklahoma_Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Mike Pouncey is still availible when we're up, TT would surely take him. In this case we need a guard opposite of Sitton.

Pouncey can play both Guard and Center. However, if he's been taken when we're up, I would take another Pass Rushing OLB, or a CB. Then take a Tackle or Guard in the 2nd and/or 3rd.

Reaction score
I keep hoping and praying that their O line is gonna turn it around but they just fail to do so like the brewers pitching staff. We need to fill some spots. I think sitton is the only legit O linemen we got and the only one that should start next year. Colledge is weaksauce, Clifton is Old, I dont know to much into wells. hopefuly buluga can get better.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
anyone have certain players in mind that we might be able to grab in the first couple rounds as far as O line goes?

Grave

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Our O-line plasy took a leap upwards when Beightol was hired. Same thing when we brought in Jagozinski.

Campen's incompetent and so is Philbin.

98Redbird

Cheesehead
Reaction score
anyone have certain players in mind that we might be able to grab in the first couple rounds as far as O line goes?

Gabe Carimi OT Wisconsin and Mike Pouncey G Florida are the two that I keep seeing projected for us. Honestly, I would like to see if we could trade up and give our 2nd round pick and maybe 1 of our 3rds (Comp pick for Kampmann maybe) for another 1st. And with those two 1st's take maybe Gabe Carimi/Von Miller. Those are our two most glaring needs right now I think. With Carmimi/Bulaga we would have our Tackles set for Rodgers' career. Maybe take a LG in the 3rd or so. And with Miller, we would have a guy opposite Matthews.

98Redbird

Cheesehead
Reaction score
^^^ Sometimes it's not the tool, it's the operator. Drafting 10 O-Linemen in 4 years and still having these issues tells me that it's not the players, it's the coach. Thompson/McCarthy have proven that they are one of the most solid teams in the league at drafting solid talent, I don't think that our guys on the line necessarily suck, I think that they are very poorly coached. Campen should sit his *** on the next train out of Green Bay.

DCEBB2011

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gabe Carimi OT Wisconsin and Mike Pouncey G Florida are the two that I keep seeing projected for us. Honestly, I would like to see if we could trade up and give our 2nd round pick and maybe 1 of our 3rds (Comp pick for Kampmann maybe) for another 1st. And with those two 1st's take maybe Gabe Carimi/Von Miller. Those are our two most glaring needs right now I think. With Carmimi/Bulaga we would have our Tackles set for Rodgers' career. Maybe take a LG in the 3rd or so. And with Miller, we would have a guy opposite Matthews.

Don't plan on getting a low first rounder for a late 2 and 3. The NFL draft trade chart that most teams use dictates that even the last pick in the 1st round will require 590 points. As of today, our 2nd round pick would be worth only 400 points and our 3rd worth 180 points, leaving us shy 10 points for fair trade value. So we would have to throw in a 6th or better OR player to make up the difference. What complicates this even more is you have to find a trade partner willing to move out of the first round altogether. Most will get out of the top 10, but not the first round if they covet a top player.

As for OLmen we can look at, they must have some measurables to be successful in the ZBS.

1. Size. No smaller than 6-2, 290.
2. Speed. No slower than a 5.20 40 time.
3. ACCELERATION. The biggest factor measured by a 10 time no slower than 1.80 or shuttle time no slower than 4.60.
4. Agility. 3-cone time no slower than 7.80.

The most sucessful OL positions in the ZBS have these traits. For proof, look at Josh Sitton who measured:

6-4, 319
1.76 / 4.50

98Redbird

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd be fine taking O linemen for our 1st and 2nd round picks. I'm just tired of seeing Rodgers get destroyed every game. It's going to be a short career for him at this rate. Also, I think that our running game would be fine if we had a line that was worth a damn. Grant/Starks/Jackson would be fine behind a quality line.

PackaSteelKC

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Alex Gibbs was the guy who is called the father of the Zone Blocking scheme that Denver and now Atlanta uses. The reason it is used is twofold. One it allows for average running backs to succeed in the NFL and two it is hard for defenses to know who is blocking who plus it tends to help on pass happy blitzing teams too over pursue. It's drawbacks are you need linemen who have quick feet and great hands plus long arms are always helpful. I think this is why Sitton has taken too it so well plus he is nasty and you need nasty offensive player. Chop Blocks were one of the distinguished things Denver was known for but it was legal then. It still is but the defensive lineman cannot be engaged already why another lineman so if you are double teaming someone you will get a 15 yard penalty as a Personal Foul now. Back then it was OK too do it but so many lineman were having knee injuries they mostly banned it. I hear Alex Gibbs quit this year early in the season from Seattle. I do not know what happened but I heard there was some disagreement with Coach Carroll.

aaronqb

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd be fine taking O linemen for our 1st and 2nd round picks. I'm just tired of seeing Rodgers get destroyed every game. It's going to be a short career for him at this rate. Also, I think that our running game would be fine if we had a line that was worth a damn. Grant/Starks/Jackson would be fine behind a quality line.

no doubt

GreenGoldAngel

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

Kitten, do not take my brilliant ideas and turn them into your own...lol. Didn't I write you once and say something like "the Green Bay Packers with the 32nd pick (because we won SB) in the first round, draft the entire University of Wisconsin O-Line?
Our current line has some age at important positions, and the guards are not fast enough to pull for sweep or screens.

Just finished watching HBO's "Lombardi" for the third time. At the end they were showing his gravestone and so I looked up where he was buried. It's Mt. Olivett Cemetary in Middleton, New Jersey. Is that fairly close to you?

98Redbird

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm fine also. But, I think it's still BPA at draft time. There are other needs as well.

I don't care how we get them - draft, free agent, trade - but it looks like we need 3 new OL next year. And, one or more may even have to start (depending on how well McDonald and/or Newhouse are coming along). A stud OL would be a great help.

We need 9 OL on the 53 man. Sitton, Bulaga, Lang, and Wells are good as in. Based on last week's article in the JS, McDonald looks good and will be a player. Newhouse also probably gets in (if last year's pre-season performance is any indication).

I think Clifton, Tauscher and Spitz are done and Colledge will sign elsewhere.

The good news is that the remaining guys probably have several years left and so we won't be faced with age issues again for awhile.

And then replace Campen also.

Ab-so-lutely... Cannot stress this one enough. I was reading that he took over the O-line in Jan 07'. Since then, we have SUCKED on the O-Line. I don't think it's coincidence.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts