Doug Gabriel released by Patriots

Buckeyepackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just saw where Gabriel was released, should TT bring him in for a look?
He picked up Gardner last year late, Gabriel is younger, I don't know the reason for his release, but he has shown potential in the past.

I think the Pack should at least bring him in for a look, could be another option for the last three games this year.

Any thoughts???

Krazygangsta

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would pick up for the remaining of the season ... but would not keep him around ... for next season unless he perfoms really good

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Getting a little late to bring a WR in and expect them to get a decent grasp of what's going on and contribue.

Would have been an interesting option about a month ago.

We're getting ready to play two games in five days and so I doubt he would be of much help until the final week in Chicago. The only reason to consider it would be that Driver and Jennings are both hurting.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Getting a little late to bring a WR in and expect them to get a decent grasp of what's going on and contribue.

We're getting ready to play two games in five days and so I doubt he would be of much help until the final week in Chicago. The only reason to consider it would be that Driver and Jennings are both hurting.

Granted if picked up, he wouldnt do to much if anything NOW..

BUT...it would give the packers a chance to see how he does in practice, and have him an option for next year..

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
warhawk said:

BUT...it would give the packers a chance to see how he does in practice, and have him an option for next year..

It would serve a purpose there but I would hope our options at WR for next year go beyond the talent level of a guy released by another team towards the level of a FA some team would like to keep but we could out pay.

My view on things are we need a really good WR, safety, and DL, that can impact those areas not just contribute or slightly elevate the quality of play we have seen there this year.

If we significantly shore these areas up I see us coming out of the blocks much stronger next year with the added experience our young guys have gotten this year.

If a guy like Gabriel makes the team next year I would hope he would be no more than the #5 guy on the team.

I would like to also say I am encouraged by the fact we have Underwood at safety and KRob as an option if he stays clean that can help us in areas of need. Underwood is a really athletic guy and KRob has that versatility with his return abilities.

If nothing else these guys add quality depth in areas we definately need help in.

packerfan1245

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would pick up for the remaining of the season ... but would not keep him around ... for next season unless he perfoms really good

i agree. we would be getting robinson back right?

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Krazygangsta said:

sometime in Sept is what I recall..he is UNDER contract with the Packers...

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
longtimefan said:
warhawk said:

It would serve a purpose there but I would hope our options at WR for next year go beyond the talent level of a guy released by another team towards the level of a FA some team would like to keep but we could out pay.

My view on things are we need a really good WR, safety, and DL, that can impact those areas not just contribute or slightly elevate the quality of play we have seen there this year.

If we significantly shore these areas up I see us coming out of the blocks much stronger next year with the added experience our young guys have gotten this year.

If a guy like Gabriel makes the team next year I would hope he would be no more than the #5 guy on the team.

I would like to also say I am encouraged by the fact we have Underwood at safety and KRob as an option if he stays clean that can help us in areas of need. Underwood is a really athletic guy and KRob has that versatility with his return abilities.

If nothing else these guys add quality depth in areas we definately need help in.

I know what your saying War..And there will more then likely be better options from FA then what Gab will offer...BUT...

if it really does not cost anything, this is a chance to see what the guy has...and maybe he can stick around in training camp and fight for a roster spot..

but the more competition there is the better that is for the team

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
but will he get to the packers over the waiver wire?? word is the bucs might be looking into him

yooperfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Krazygangsta said:

Don't forget that Robinson is still facing charges in Minnesota; DUI, wreckless driving, fleeing and eluding and obstructing a police officer.
Fleeing and eluding and obstructing are both felonies for which he could receive considerable time behind bars.

Those charges will more than likely be pled down but he will still, in all likelyhood, get some serious time.
I doubt that the Minnie law officials will give him work release to play for the Pack.

trippster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
packerfan1245 said:
Krazygangsta said:

Don't forget that Robinson is still facing charges in Minnesota; DUI, wreckless driving, fleeing and eluding and obstructing a police officer.
Fleeing and eluding and obstructing are both felonies for which he could receive considerable time behind bars.

Those charges will more than likely be pled down but he will still, in all likelyhood, get some serious time.
I doubt that the Minnie law officials will give him work release to play for the Pack.

My guess is that he would get probation as a first time offender (felony charges that is is)

He is out for the first four games next year from my recolection

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score

then whats the point? get him for our playoff run of impossibility? If we get anyone, it should be someone we seriously are thinking about keeping around for a while. Get some chemistry going.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
I don't get this move by the Patriots. WR is a weak spot of theirs, isn't it? OR did I miss something during the last six-eight weeks?

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I seem to remember Gabriel making some plays in that Patriots win at Minnesota. So he very well may be worth a look. None of our guys after Driver and Jennings have really shown much. I was expecting more of Ruvell Martin by this point in the season.

Cal2GreenBay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Doug Gabriel - Fast, but isn't consistent enough to be a threat
Charles Rogers - Faster, Bigger, but even more inconsistent

There's a reason these guys are waived/traded so much

PackerLegend

Cheesehead
Reaction score
On NFL.com it says he is back with the Raiders as insurance because Randy Moss did something to his ankle.

PackFanInSC

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
I seem to remember Gabriel making some plays in that Patriots win at Minnesota. So he very well may be worth a look. None of our guys after Driver and Jennings have really shown much. I was expecting more of Ruvell Martin by this point in the season.

Gabriel did make plays against the Vikings -- 5 catches for 83 yards. But then again, just about everyone in a NE uniform had a big game that day.

Members online

Latest posts