Donte Stallworth might be available

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
Why does it have to be "all or nothing" over FA Porky..??

I mean he'd have to be an idiot to spend 30 million on one guy...and if he did, he'd have to damn sure be a game breaker like TO (and i'm not saying to sign TO, just someone on that level..)

But I do know one thing....

If TT does not have this Packer team competing for a SB in his 4th or 5th year as GM...(or at the very least, deep in the playoffs), I am going to be Super Pissed...and will be personally leading the angry villagers into town with torches and pitchforks, ready for the ***-Forkin party...(and the tar and feathering..and the riding of the GM out of town on a rail.....)

(No "Millen situation" for Packer fans in GB...we will not put up with it!)

You can keep your personal plans to yourself for now as that's still 3 years away assuming we stink.

Your asking for a receiver on the level of Terrell Owens when we already have a better receiver than Terrell Owens and his name is Donald Driver. As for someone on that level. Nobody is out there on that level this year. Frankly this team has a lot of needs on offense and defense. However all our needs don't need to be filled via free agency. We can look at the Draft to fill some holes and we can sign some above echelon free agents on both sides of the ball. However the worst thing this team could do is go out and spend money like the Washington Redskins do ever year. The foundation of this team is set for next year and the future. We just need some key positions to help lift it to that next level. I would say signing 2 or 3 key free agents in the off season would help a lot and we still have the Draft to fill holes. One thing Green Bay has done well is not overpay for a bunch of average players. We had our miss last year but it’s not going to hurt us long term. A guy like Donte Stallworth wouldn’t gives us the type of production on the field for the contract he’s going to sign.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
First of all..it's a 2 year plan...(that would be TT's 4th year as GM...)

Secondly, TT has whiffed badly in 2 years with the WR's...and somebody...ANYBODY...even Stallworth would be better than going into 2007 with only 4 WR AGAIN...and ending up with BUPKIS and Donald Driver drawing more DB's in coverage than flies following the Port-O-San man on a hot, summer day in August after attending to his duties at the Teamsters annual Chili Cook Off Picnic.....

eastcoastpacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ok guy, I checked out Stallworth on the eagles. He played in 12 games and started 11 games. He had 38 catches for 725 yards.He had 5 td's and the longest went for 84 yards,had an average of19.1 yards per catch. Just thought that I would mention this information. He doesn't seem to bad,IF as the show says" The price is right". :rotflmao:

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
Secondly, TT has whiffed badly in 2 years with the WR's...and somebody...ANYBODY...even Stallworth would be better than going into 2007 with only 4 WR AGAIN...and ending up with BUPKIS and Donald Driver drawing more DB's in coverage than flies following the Port-O-San man on a hot, summer day in August after attending to his duties at the Teamsters annual Chili Cook Off Picnic.....

Again I'm not saying we don't need to go out and get a receiver. I believe we do. I actually think we need at least 2 TE's before a receiver but certainly upgrades are needed at both.

I'm saying Stallworth is overrated and not that good. He's injury prone and he isn't all that impressive of a player. Neither is Drew Bennett. They're certainly still quality players out there. Jabar Gaffney would be a nice #3 option for us. So would Patrick Crayton. However those are not big time marquee names and neither is on Terrell Owens’s level. We need a #1 and #2 TE and a legit #3 WR. That can and should be addressed this off season. Before you start with threats towards Thompson wait and see what he exactly is going to do. This is only his 2nd year where he has a lot of money to spend. Let's see what he does.

I'd take Greg Jennings over Stallworth any day. Speaking of which Jennings will have a year under his belt. He was 1st team All Rookie this year. He'll get to study the offense a lot more this off season and will work with Favre even more (assuming he returns). His progression will also help us out and his progression is another reason why GB probably won't go chase someone on Terrell Owens level. Favre did say he thinks if he plays long enough he could really develop a great connection with Jennings.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
66....let's make a distinction between players that can help us, which there certainly are in free agency, and OVERPAYING for a position of need in free agency. Is that not what the discussion has been regarding Stallworth?

But, again, we are looking for a #3 or someone to compete with Jennings at the #2 (less likely as Jennings is a find), that #3 spot is probably more likely to be filled via the draft. If we were looking for a #1, well, FA may be the way to go, but that is not the current situation. We need a #3 who can play today, and grow into a #2 or #1...smells like the draft to me!

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
We need a veteran #2/3 FA WR pickup.....plain and simple.

Rookies take time to develop and hit the wall in their first year....

(and Jennings is STILL developing in the NFL..)

It took Javon Walker 2-3 years to get going (also Driver too)....

I know some of you people are obsessed with TT overpaying (like it's your personal money, or something), but how about the idea of just PAYING someone who's good and working out a FAIR deal...You can't scream about overpaying when the deal hasn't even been put on the table yet...

Sherman signed 2 rookies WR's in consecutive years (Walker, Ferguson), and it didn't work out right away. They took time to develop..(and Ferguson still hasn't developed for the $$ he's making..)

That's why you have FA...so you can sign a guy who can help your team right away.....as in NOW...

Finding someone in the draft is not a guarantee Digs...cheap as it may be...

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To me the number one need is a TE. (Or 2)
That area was a HUGE loss the last few years. Favre used to use TE's all the time. He hasn't had that for awhile now.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He hasn't had a go to tight end for a while... and i think that people overlook the fact that part of the reason there hasn't been a go-to tightend to pass to is because the tightend has had to stay in and block so much.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
but the tightends staying to block should slowly get phased out as the younger guys continue to improve, and lets not kid ourselves on that, the tight ends ran A LOTof routes in 2006.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe we should just sign every big name out there, get ourselves into cap hell, and be the next San Francisco 49ers that take a good 10 years or better to get out from under it...it doesn't make sense.

The players we have now are the foundation of a solid Packer team. If Ted can sign a couple FA's on both sides of the ball and have a solid draft again, this team should be right in the thick of it as soon as next season.

Obi1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe we should just sign every big name out there, get ourselves into cap hell, and be the next San Francisco 49ers that take a good 10 years or better to get out from under it...it doesn't make sense.

The players we have now are the foundation of a solid Packer team. If Ted can sign a couple FA's on both sides of the ball and have a solid draft again, this team should be right in the thick of it as soon as next season.

ACTUALLY, Packers need help in RB, TE, AND WR along with Oline.

If we go along with Pack66 theory, 1 of the Packer needs are sort of met.

If Stallworth or Gaffney are available for an affordable sum. that may be a good thing but I feel that Ahman Green might need to be replaced and that takes precedence over the 3rd/4th WR position need. Whether Brett Comes back or NOT, a better Oline is a definite must.

Though Pack66's post isn't without merit, I think IF TT doesn't sign a Stallworth because of the money he wants, I'd say that is still OK and that other WR will come to serve the Packers.

TE is a position that the Packers need to REALLY look into as Bubba has been kind of non existent in the Passing game and the back ups haven't really come through much.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NDPackerFan said:

ACTUALLY, Packers need help in RB, TE, AND WR along with Oline.

If we go along with Pack66 theory, 1 of the Packer needs are sort of met.

If Stallworth or Gaffney are available for an affordable sum. that may be a good thing but I feel that Ahman Green might need to be replaced and that takes precedence over the 3rd/4th WR position need. Whether Brett Comes back or NOT, a better Oline is a definite must.

Though Pack66's post isn't without merit, I think IF TT doesn't sign a Stallworth because of the money he wants, I'd say that is still OK and that other WR will come to serve the Packers.

TE is a position that the Packers need to REALLY look into as Bubba has been kind of non existent in the Passing game and the back ups haven't really come through much.

I agree with you for the most part; however, who's to say that our O-Line (after almost a full season together) won't come out and play much better in 2007? Spitz, Moll, and Colledge will be much better and you would think Wells, Taush, and Clifton will too now that they will be starting season 2 of the zone-blocking scheme. Things take time and it's hard to argue against the point that the O-Line didn't do too bad in '06 all things considered. For starting 3 rookies a good chunk of the time, I think it was just short of remarkable how clean Brett Favre's back was.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

What if TT does this and they don't have enough players to get over the top and become a competitive playoff team...especially if Brett Favre retires...??

Maybe TT should just sew up all the Packer money in his mattress at home...Would that make you happy?

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:

What if TT does this and they don't have enough players to get over the top and become a competitive playoff team...especially if Brett Favre retires...??

Maybe TT should just sew up all the Packer money in his mattress at home...Would that make you happy?

I'm not questioning your 'fanhood', but I think you'd make a great Redskins fan, P@ck.
:rotflmao:

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:

Do you want to know what would make me happy? I would be happy if you would realize for one second that Brett Favre (although one of the best ever to play the game) isn't the Green Bay Packers, but is an integral part of a TEAM. You would like Ted to go out..no, wait a minute...you wouldn't like Ted regardless.

If Ted spent all the money on names instead of talent and sacrificed the financial and competitive future of the Packers on one season HOPING to win the SB, you might be content. Of course, there is no reason why players hit free agency right? Most of the names you speak of have issues and that's why their current team doesn't want them anymore. As for Stallworth, how many catches will he have sitting on the sidelines with ice on his hammy? Does that matter to you? Do you want TT to sign him to a lucrative contract because of the last 3 or 4 games with the Eagles? If it didn't pan out, you will be on here posting and flaming about how TT spent the $$$ on all the wrong players and now the Pack will be in cap hell blah, blah, blah.

Ted Thompson is much more qualified to run this team than either you or I or anyone else who posts here...just thought I'd point that out. I don't know about you, but I'm going to trust the people getting paid huge $$$ to run this team and hope their insight gets GB where it needs to be, which is hoisting Lombardi Trophies.

I tell you though '66, you're the expert on here. That's for sure, no one else knows jack so keep up with the anti-Ted Thompson posts because he surely has no friggin' clue what he's doing.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Short and sweet and right to the point. This is my thinking as well. I believe with another off season exactly like last years and Favre returning we'll be in the playoffs and maybe even contending. NFC is not all that strong.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
pack_in_black said:
P@ck66 said:

I'm not questioning your 'fanhood', but I think you'd make a great Redskins fan, P@ck.

Why is it all or nothing with you guys...?? :chalflag:

If anyone says to make a move in FA right away it becomes the Redskins or Raiders or something like that pissing all of the money away and ending up in cap hell....you know..there is, or can be, a happy medium...

Did you guys say that when Ron Wolf was here too..?

Some of you guys are SO defensive over any of TT's moves that you go to extremes... :whippin:

Have a little confidence in him if he's your guy. Something tells me your nervous about the moves TT might make. We'll see what happens in the end.

But remember this...TT's on the clock, and he doesn't have an unlimited amount of time to get things right in Green Bay. One or two years at the most and he better have a damn good product or be shown the door..!

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
lol ^^ that was comical

Making moves fast for the sake of making moves is stupid, making educated moves quick is intelligent. I think p@ck66 is saying get your research done on potential FA's and make an offer BEFORE others take them off the board. If thats true, I agree. Just, please no more Joe Johnson-types :)
Although I didn't much care for how Ted seemingly dragged his feet through FA last year, but he took his time, got us some good players and re-signed a few that were key components. Can't much complain with the results, thus far.... except that freakin Manuel!! arghHHH!

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:

If anyone says to make a move in FA right away it becomes the Redskins or Raiders or something like that pissing all of the money away and ending up in cap hell....you know..there is, or can be, a happy medium...

Some of you guys are SO defensive over any of TT's moves that you go to extremes... :whippin:

Have a little confidence in him if he's your guy. Something tells me your nervous about the moves TT might make. We'll see what happens in the end.

But remember this...TT's on the clock, and he doesn't have an unlimited amount of time to get things right in Green Bay. One or two years at the most and he better have a damn good product or be shown the door..!

Sorry, it wasn't a personal shot. Just trying to lighten the mood.
But seriously, P@ck, but when did I say anything about 'all or nothing?'

In the same sense that you say everyone's defensive of TT, it seems like you're always ready to 'show him the door', LOL

It's good to know that he's on your clock, though. Thanks for keeping him honest. And speaking of Ron Wolf, did you hold the door open for him to leave after his second year as well?
:jumpflame:

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
pack_in_black said:
P@ck66 said:

I agree with you more than you think 66...if the right guy is there, grab him before anybody else does. There IS a happy medium in free agency. It is hard not to be defensive when it comes to TT because of the time you spend posting about how crappy he is or whatever. Is there a happy medium with the job TT has done - some of his moves being great, some not so hot, and some in between? I'll tell you right now that he threw a major gutterball with Manual this off-season. If #22 is still with the Packers as more than a third string safety, something's definitely wrong there. How about his other moves? Seems to be OK so far...time will tell, that's for certain.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
pack_in_black said:
And speaking of Ron Wolf, did you hold the door open for him to leave after his second year as well?
:jumpflame:

I'm doubting he did because in the second year of Ron Wolf the Packers made it to the NFC Divisional Playoff game and lost to the Cowboys :( ... That was a drastic improvement over the decades of losing seasons. A GM came in, racked up two 9 - 7 seasons an the second season included a playoff victory.

Although, thinking about it, Sherman won divisions and got us in the playoffs and he was throwing Sherman out the door.

:shrug:

i tried to go to bat for ya 66

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I didn't want to show Ron Wolf the door when he came in because my expectations weren't so high then. I was so friggin' happy in 1989 when the Pack went 10-6 and ALMOST made the playoffs... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1989_Green_Bay_Packers_season

Remember that year when the Pack came back to beat the 49ers and Majik threw for over 4,000 yards, and I think the only one who threw for more that year was Montana! Then they were interviewed on a Monday game waiting to see if they would make the playoffs...I think Majik was on the cover SI that year! I always thought that if Majik didn't get hurt he could have had a hell of a career..oh well.

So when Wolf came in and signed Reggie White, I was still riding that high...and thought that more good things were coming to GB...I think Wolf turned down a job with the Jets and came to GB...So anything Wolf did was ok by me and was gravy.

When Sherman came along, I just knew he wasn't the guy who could get it done, and if Harlan would have hired a REAL GM.....there might have been a chance....

But here's the shocker....

I really don't think TT is that terrible...

The thing that really ****** me off about him though is that I feel that when he came in that he wanted to totally rebuild and write off the Favre era and start anew with Rodgers in GB...

I think he could have done a better job in finding a happy medium between rebuilding and re-loading with some offensive weapons for Favre in the two years that he's been here...He seems like he thinks that he has all of the time in the world, but he might have changed his mind a bit about Favre this year, and may actually want him around for another year or two..I don't know though..It's kind of hard to tell. I guess TT's actions in FA and the draft this year will be the final arbiter on THAT issue....

I also kind of feel that he kind of set Sherman up for failure in '05...

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
I think Wolf turned down a job with the Jets and came to GB...So anything Wolf did was ok by me and was gravy.

He CAME from the J-E-T-S jets jets jets

Latest posts