Donte Stallworth might be available

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Eagles | Team unlikely to re-sign Stallworth before free agency starts
Sun, 21 Jan 2007 12:47:21 -0800

Reuben Frank, of PhillyBurbs.com, reports Philadelphia Eagles general manager Tom Heckert said the team is unlikely to re-sign WR Donte' Stallworth before free agency starts. Heckert said, "If he's healthy, he's a really good player. I think that will be kind of a wait-and-see deal because I don't think even he knows what he's worth. Getting him done before free agency, that's probably not going to happen. There's not a whole lot of wide receivers out there. It's tough to gauge. When he's healthy, he's a good player. People are going to say the same thing — if he's injured (often), how much are you going to pay him? But he's young and he's fast. He's really fast. I think he'll probably end up signing a pretty good contract somewhere. If you look at last year, those (2006 free agents) got huge money and they were just OK guys."

~~~~~~~

So do the Pack make a run for him or not?? i have not seen him play this past season so I cant make a true call on him..

Any one else?

Krazygangsta

Cheesehead
Reaction score
forget about him ... their are alot of good WR in this years draft ... we allready have driver and jennings ... robinson will be back ... so if we draft 1 like jarrett we should be set @ wr's if no1 gets injured ... anyways i really hope we sign a decent CB in free agency or draft one in the second round so we can develop one to start after harris or woodson are gone ...

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow, a GM who actually speaks his mind. How weird is that? Very un-Thompson-like.

Stallworth is mighty tempting, because he played very well for the Eagles this year--when he was healthy. I'm not sure what kind of injuries he's been plagued with. Are they the kind of injuries that will keep happening? If not, he's worth a look.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
he's not worth the kind of money that many of last year's FA receivers... received. and if some GM does decide to pony up, it won't be ted.

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
how many games does Robinson have to miss in 07?

might miss them all...he can apply to be reinstated on sept 18th I think..but that doesnt mean the nfl will approve it

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
We need someone who can stretch the field, which Stallworth certainly can...

Why do we have to sign damn rookies all the time that take awhile to develop, if they do at all (i.e. Murphy..Ferguson, etc)...?

And if K-Rob doesn't come back..that leaves who...AGAIN..

(Driver, Ferguson, Jennings..and trash off the street...C'mon TT....this is getting embarassing....)

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:
he's not worth the kind of money that many of last year's FA receivers... received. and if some GM does decide to pony up, it won't be ted.

Yep. Certain players that are average at best will get big money on free agency because the lack of playmakers available. Stallworth will be one of them. I would hate to see GB overpay for an injury prone overrated receiver and that's what Stallworth is. He had his moment in the sun which lasted about 3 or 4 games and then he got hurt and never got back to form. If we can get him for a fair deal then sure I'd be all for it but chances are as you already implied he's going to warrant big money.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Yeah..

You'd rather keep Ferguson i bet, who just sucks all the time..right?

How many WR's on the Packers were either cut or never panned out??...

Alot of them. At least Stallworth would be an upgrade from that horrible track record...

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
Yeah..

Alot of them. At least Stallworth would be an upgrade from that horrible track record...

Pack, while I understand your fervor, Stallworth is a waste of $. He missed alot of games last season, and the season before. His nagging hamstring injury is what scares me. It's been there for what seems like his whole career, and for a speed guy, that's not a good thing.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It still amazes me that people believe that 4th and 5th WRs should be all stars. They are young projects who show potential....like Ruvell Martin and Carlyle Holiday (sp). Driver is more than solid, Jennings will be much improved with a years experience and the absence of a high ankle sprain.

Now, we ask...who will be #3, with the potentail to grow into a #1 or #2 in the future. That is what the draft is for...to fill just this spot. And this draft has some nice WR prospects.

Go after a stretch-the-field TE. History shows that when we have one (and we do not) Favre flourishes, almost regardless of who is at the WR spot.

Short of Sterling Sharpe, and Javon Walker (neither of whom brought us where we wanted to go) Favre has worked with what many would consider less-than-special players...Brooks, Freeman, Driver, etc.

Favre has a tendency to "make" receivers flourish.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
Yeah..

No I hope we cut Ferguson. The guy I want is a restricted free agent. Patrick Crayton. He has very good hands and from what I read though it's an unofficial stat he has the highest catch ratio in the NFL. His percentage of dropped passes is the lowest in the league which is very impressive.

I'm all for bringing in more weapons for Favre. I'd prefer 2 TE's, a young RB, and one more WR. I just don't like Donte Stallworth. I think he's overrated and I think he'd be a major waste of money. Much like Brandon Lloyd was for the Redskins last year. Same goes for Drew Bennett. Another guy I would want to avoid.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
For once Porky, we agree...almost.

My point is that I'd rather have Stallworth then no one (or drafting a rookie..or I should say..in ADDITION to drafting a rookie). Stallworth at least, showed flashes of talent last year with the Eagles....

If we could get Crayton or someone else who's as good, that would be great. The problem is, for years now, the Packers haven't really been able to add anyone---that's TE's or WR's that seem to stick...or they get beaten out by other teams signing them...(except Jennings..and the jury's still out on him.) Look at what the Patriots did by picking up Jabbar Gaffney....

(I think it takes an eye for talent on offense, which I'm not so sure TT has, at this point!)

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
Look at what the Patriots did by picking up Jabbar Gaffney....

(I think it takes an eye for talent on offense, which I'm not so sure TT has, at this point!)

Gaffney did a whole lot of nothing up until the last three games of the season.

Kind of reminds me of Mr. Holliday's coming out party @ Soldier Field. So, that said, I'd say TT does have an eye for offensive talent.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I don't think so..

Gaffney was good this year..and so were the other pickups for the PATS..and the playoffs count too..that's where you have to step up. You're going to tell me the Pack would have been better off not picking up Gaffney this year? HA!

They lost Deion Branch for god's sakes..and made it to the Championship game..and don't say it was their defense..cause their D was mediocre this year!)

Where do you get your information from?

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
I don't think so..

Gaffney was good this year..and so were the other pickups for the PATS..and the playoffs count too..that's where you have to step up. You're going to tell me the Pack would have been better off not picking up Gaffney this year? HA!

They lost Deion Branch for god's sakes..and made it to the Championship game..and don't say it was their defense..cause their D was mediocre this year!)

Their D was 2nd in the league in points this year and 6th in yards. They had one of the best D's in the NFL this year.

Though I'd take Gaffney. I actually think he might come at a resonable price.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
I don't think so..

Their D was 2nd in the league in points this year and 6th in yards. They had one of the best D's in the NFL this year.

That's funny...

Cause the games I saw...the Jets and the Chargers made the Pats Defense look old and washed up....

Stats are deceiving...

The Colts tore them up pretty good and were scoring at will yesterday..!

hmmm..... :shrug:

(Cheap is not always good either Porky...look at Woodson, for instance..!)

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just not a fan of guys who cannot stay on the field..and Stallworth is a great example of that. If there is an attractive FA WR that makes sense, yes, go for it. Just don't **** money away by overpaying the likes of Stallworth only because he is the best of a very weak class of FA WRs.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
You know..Digs, it's funny..but people here always seem to say, "It's a weak class of over-priced, no talent bums in FA this year", yet certain teams seem to pick up acquisitions that help their respective teams every year on offense....except the Packers...

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
P@ck66 said:
I don't think so..

Stats are deceiving...

LOL, come on. First you question my basis for a statement, then when information is given, you say stats are deceiving... :chalflag:

Stalworth is talented, no doubt. But he's so injury-prone that he's just not worth overpaying for.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
P@ck66 said:
I don't think so..

That's funny...

Cause the games I saw...the Jets and the Chargers made the Pats Defense look old and washed up....

Stats are deceiving...

The Colts tore them up pretty good and were scoring at will yesterday..!

hmmm..... :shrug:

(Cheap is not always good either Porky...look at Woodson, for instance..!)

Yardage stats are deceiving. The Scoring Stat is not. You can say all you want over last nights game but over the course of the year New England's Defense carried them along with Tom Brady.

I'm not saying he needs to be cheap. I'm saying he needs to be smart. We have 30 mil. I don't want to see GB spend all 30 of it on free agents in one year especially a year with a lot of medicore free agents. We should be able to find our receiver or RB with the 16th pick in the draft. I could see one TE being a 2nd or 3rd round pick. Still plenty of needs on Defense as well. I'd prefer Gaffney over Stallworth.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Why does it have to be "all or nothing" over FA Porky..??

I mean he'd have to be an idiot to spend 30 million on one guy...and if he did, he'd have to damn sure be a game breaker like TO (and i'm not saying to sign TO, just someone on that level..)

But I do know one thing....

If TT does not have this Packer team competing for a SB in his 4th or 5th year as GM...(or at the very least, deep in the playoffs), I am going to be Super Pissed...and will be personally leading the angry villagers into town with torches and pitchforks, ready for the ***-Forkin party...(and the ceremonial tar and feathering..and the riding of the GM out of town on a rail.....)

(No "Millen situation" for Packer fans in GB...we will simply not put up with it!)

Members online

Latest posts