Dontay Moch (DE, Nevada)

Chop0Suey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Anyone else see this guys numbers? Leader in 40 yard dash, 10 yard split, broad jump, and vertical jump among DL and LBs.

Not sure if this guy would still be around at pick 32, but he looks like he could be a great addition to play opposite Matthews. Obviously footwork and coverage skills would need to be coached up, but I think our coaching staff is more than capable.

Big E

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, he's a heck of an athlete. He was projected to go 2nd or 3rd round before, but he'll probably move up on the boards after his combine performance. I would love to have him. He was already one of the guys on my radar, but now it seems like we might not be able to get him at the end of the second round. I'm not so sure we should use our first round pick on him, although I wouldn't be upset if we did.

I know Jess will want some videos posted so here are a couple:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PT3GoRCKY8"]YouTube - Dontay Moch vs. Boise State[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gtsE4RxIt4&feature=related"]YouTube - Dontay Moch vs. Missouri ('09)[/ame]

It's good to see that he got some experience standing up and dropping back into coverage, even though he played DE. That should help make the transition to OLB go more smoothly.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
You're a nice person. Thanks for the videos! :)

I used Nevada in my NCAA 11 dynasty and Moch was a damn beast. So, naturally, if he's good in that game we should take him. :p

Seriously, though, I wouldn't use a first on him, but I'd be willing to trade up in the 2nd for him.

Ausnadian

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just by watching the way he moves is so natural. He is a gifted athlete and if he has the brains too could be groomed into anything. There are a lot of good DE this year, so I think it depends on how many go early as to where he will land, somewhere in the 6-10th DE to be taken.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seriously, though, I wouldn't use a first on him, but I'd be willing to trade up in the 2nd for him.
I predict he will be there at 64 when we pick.
And I predict he will be there at 65 when the losers pick their 3rd rounder.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Sports Radio 1250 out of Milwaukee specifically mentioned this guy today...

Odd that now we have this thread?

But they were reading from an article on him..I think was from Combine'11: Day 5 news and nuggets - NFC North Blog - ESPN

Nevada defensive end Dontay Moch turned in one of the best workouts of the combine, running a 4.44 in the 40-yard dash, recording a 42-inch vertical jump and a 10-foot-8 broad jump.

But Moch is undersized at 244 pounds, and Scouts Inc writes: "His impressive explosiveness and straight-line speed are offset by his lack of lateral agility, hip fluidity and body control to bend the edge as a pass-rusher. He's also raw in terms of instincts and looked tight during drills."

And said this could be a Al Davis or Ted pick because of the speed

OP
OP
Chop0Suey

Chop0Suey

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Okay, yeah, I wouldn't want them to spend a first on him either. However, I wouldn't mind them trading up a little to obtain more picks and snag this guy somewhere in the second.:smirk:

Definitely needs to improve footwork and hip flexibility as he fell down a few too many times in those videos for my liking...but really, as long as this guy's not dumber than a rock, and doesn't have any major character concerns, I can't imagine all 3-4 teams aren't drooling over this guy.

OP
OP
Chop0Suey

Chop0Suey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But I guess it all depends on who's still on the board. I suppose an equally talented OL may be preferable.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Explosion? Great 10 yard split and vertical jump. CHECK
Agility? Bad 3 cone drill. NO CHECK
Ability to play in space? Bad drop drills. NO CHECK

Don't like the guy. Matthews had it all, that's why he was rated so high despite little playing time, and that's why he's been so good.

A pass rusher can't live just with explosion and power, he needs agility. And, playing OLB, he HAS to be able to drop in coverage, which he can't.

Members online

Latest posts