Don't be so denfensive about the defense.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To many excuses about why the defense is so bad right now. "Oh We have injuries"..everybody does... "the offense isn't staying on the field so they are tiered" what are subs and conditioning for? and my favorite one, you ready??.."Aaron Rodgers is hurt." Uhh??? has Aaron Rodgers ever played a single snap on defense? i know we depend on him to score points with our offense but he can't intercept a pass, get a sack, or force a fumble.

Name one player right now on the Packers defense (not name Clay Matthews) who is a big play waiting to happen? no no no..not one who is a big play waiting to happen for the other team that's easy but who you see as a guy who can change a game or has made a game changing play this year? We suck in the takeaway dept., the red zone defense is atrocious, we don't have a pass rush, the secondary is going backwards, and we can't make stops when we need them. You guy's are allowed to take your times with this one as i'm sure the list is very very short.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
...and my favorite one, you ready??.."Aaron Rodgers is hurt." Uhh??? has Aaron Rodgers ever played a single snap on defense? i know we depend on him to score points with our offense but he can't intercept a pass, get a sack, or force a fumble.
I'm still impressed by that shoe string tackle he did to prevent a possible pick 6 on Brian Urlacher after Brian intercepted him in that Bears/Pack title game.
That is probably my favorite play of that game or the most memorable for me.

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
lol then maybe the players on defense should come in here and read it..then maybe they will step it up. Sombody needs to hurt their feelings and just keep it real.

You missed my joke. Title of the thread: Don't be so defensive about the defense... which I find offensive... get it?

It wasn't a very good joke anyhow... nevermind... :confused:

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
I'm still impressed by that shoe string tackle he did to prevent a possible pick 6 on Brian Urlacher after Brian intercepted him in that Bears/Pack title game.
That is probably my favorite play of that game or the most memorable for me.

Agreed. If he misses that tackle, I don't think we win.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll bite.
To many excuses about why the defense is so bad right now. "Oh We have injuries"..everybody does...
True, but it's still a valid excuse

"the offense isn't staying on the field so they are tiered" what are subs and conditioning for?
You typically keep your best players on the field as long as possible, so you either sub your lesser players or you let your #1's get tired. Although in your defense, our time of possession hasn't been bad in this two game losing stretch so it doesn't support the "our defense is tired" excuse. We had the ball for 26:51 minutes in the Bears loss and won the time of possession game against the Eagles with 34:24 minutes....both with the other team ending the game with time-eating final drives.

...and my favorite one, you ready??.."Aaron Rodgers is hurt." Uhh??? has Aaron Rodgers ever played a single snap on defense? i know we depend on him to score points with our offense but he can't intercept a pass, get a sack, or force a fumble.
No, but if the Packers are scoring points on every drive, it puts pressure on the opposing offense to score and often puts them in passing/catch-up mode. That makes them more one-dimensional which is easier on our defense. Come on Rodell....you know this stuff.

Name one player right now on the Packers defense (not name Clay Matthews) who is a big play waiting to happen?
I can't but big name players aren't necessarily the key to defensive success.

We suck in the takeaway dept.,
Yup

the red zone defense is atrocious
Yup

we don't have a pass rush
Yup

the secondary is going backwards
Yup

and we can't make stops when we need them
Yup

You can look at it two ways. One way appears to be your path, to get disgusted at all of the "excuses" and claim that we don't have quality players. The second is to recognize that the "excuses" are some of the reasons why and need to be addressed to help the defense.

You know, I had a call with our CFO this morning who is a die-hard Steelers fan from Pittsburgh. He's clearly in the dumps these days but talked about how well New England and Green Bay have done at staying on top in the face of the salary cap and injuries. The highest compliments usually come from your opponents and the harshest criticisms from within.

Sunshine885500

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My analysis to all of your observations about our Defense:

Awh Shucks Dom has the Resolution: Overall they who we thought they were!

What we need is more Soft Coverage, Finesse non-attacking, Big Play giving up ball players and then we play them to make the offense have to score more points to win games. Oh and when the Offense does have a good day then the Defense can come right in behind them and allow garbage points and yards down the stretch to set the tone for the next week.

Awh Shucks let Dom be Dom and we'll just waste the years of one of the Best Head Coach / QB combos in the league.

I'm all for that: Say one Say All!

The new GB Defensive nickname: Chumpstains!

I hope they do read this forum because someone needs to grow a pair. How is that for Packer Pride? One good week doesn't make a champion! DOM & DEFENSE

Last edited:

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodell and Sunshine Packer exacto mundo. I've heard the same $hit for years now. Capers is the Teflon Guy...or is he Dom "the Incognito" Capers.

Rodell I do have one complaint. Edit denfensive in your title thread. ;)

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope they do read this forum because someone needs to grow a pair.
By "they" I take it you mean someone from the Packers team?
A coach.
A player.
Anyone who works at Lambeau.
Maybe a groundskeeper or even a janitor if your lucky.
large_20rudy_20blu-ray10_medium.jpg
(This guy will read it and take your thoughts to Mike.)

I seriously doubt that they have any interest in reading the fans thoughts.
1) They are too busy and too focused and don't want any outside distractions.
2) Why should they read anything from us? We are here on the outside. When it comes to football, the real down and dirty brass tacks, we know nothing about it. If we did, we'd be looking for jobs within the Packers or NFL.

Sunshine885500

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have an idea. Let's send them some of the Defensive Game Films from the Carolina Panthers. We don't even have to go after SF, Seattle, Kansas City or New Orleans (who was last in the league on defense last year - DOM).

What adjustments have you made to make our Defense better? We drafted players for 2 straight years to give you help. Woodson was so confused that nothing was done at halftime in the embarrassing SF playoff loss where we (The GB Chumptains) allowed the most yards rushing to a QB in NFL history. Oh & how did we follow that up?

Well -Awh Shucks- we held Kaepernick to a measly 22 yds Rushing on opening day this year.
Yeah a victory right! We still lost!

Oh that's right Kaepernick also passed for a season high 412 yards and 69.2 completion percentage with 1 WR (13-208, & 1 TD) & 1 TE (6-98, & 2 TD's) great adjustments. A feel good story!

& by the way Kaepernicks has since passed for (127, 150, 167, 113, 252, 199, 164, 91).

Can't wait to we get Rodgers back Dom! That's our answer! Oh & glad we weren't matched up against Brady, Brees, or Peyton Manning.

Eli Manning, Kaepernick, Fowles, McCown, Josh Freeman (oh cut by Tampa), & Flacco (no offense this year) all would love to play against the GB Chumpstains so that they can get the Bonuses on their contracts.

Tired of the Excuses about people not doing their jobs. Sit their A*ses on the Bench and give someone else a chance.

Sunshine885500

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think you would be surprised. Some players and coaches love a good laugh from reading some of the 'analysis' here.

They would get better laugh at watching the defensive game films. How many times just this year has someone got caught looking in the backfield during an obvious situation or playing soft coverage? We are the Legion of Finesse Softies.

Ex #1: Burnett & the secondary gets burned by the Ravens who doesn't hide the fact that they want to throw it deep. Every fan in the NFL knows that this is what Flacco excels at. So what does GB do? They let the receiver run right pass them late in the game and catch a deep post while their looking in the backfield.

Oh snap! If doctors were that porous or pilots with staying up on the latest technology then we would really be in trouble. Like McCarthy stated in his post-game press conference: Just do your jobs or in other words (know your jobs). Study film, understand tendencies! It is the difference of what makes some players good and others great. I don't know that we have that type of dedication especially from the secondary.

No one has read a route and jumped it this year. Don't they recognize what they are seeing on the film they are so intensely studying? I'll answer that - NO THEY DON'T!

Why - BECAUSE THEY AREN'T DEDICATING THEMSELVES TO THEIR CRAFT!

Know your opponent... It's what makes QB's great like Rodgers, Manning, Brees, & Brady. Is it really asking too much to expect the same from the defense?

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lol i watch the film and i see grown men use poor angles and improper technique when tackling. Ive watched that morgan Burnett whiff 15 times. He had Mccoy dead to rights and just whiff'd..unreal.

Jordyruns

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Injuries are not an excuse for this defense. Maybe someone is not at 100% but in this last game I don't really believe that anyone was injured.

You mention how Matthews is the only one who can step up and make a big play, I agree but there are players who have a ton of talent and are probably a half step behind Matthews. Hayward, Shields, and Daniels this year have all shown to be top level defenders. There are even more players who imo have shown to be above average defenders this season or recently, Perry, Burnett (although he seems to be wildly inconsistent), Raji, Lattimore. You are 100% right I have thought for awhile that this defense is very good mostly because the talent on the defense is very very good. They have not executed on a constant level since 2010 which is too long, it is time for Capers to go. The talent level and draft picks used on this D is too great for it to continue to be mediocre. A change of scenery is the best move for this defense right now.

Don't ask me who should replace Capers I don't have a cheat sheet with top level defensive coordinators who run a 3-4, I would definitely give Rex a look though if he gets fired.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think you would be surprised. Some players and coaches love a good laugh from reading some of the 'analysis' here.
Yeah, your probably right.
Reading ideas from fans that aren't even qualified to coach even a pee-wee football team, yeah, I can see why they would laugh at a good number of comments.
Of course there are fans of every team who thinks they can do a better job.
Oh well. At least they are just harmless thoughts and opinions that will get no farther than this forum.
And we haven't read anything yet from the real disillusioned fans that claim, "See? They took my suggestions and signed Matt Flynn."

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have an idea. Let's send them some of the Defensive Game Films from the Carolina Panthers. We don't even have to go after SF, Seattle, Kansas City or New Orleans (who was last in the league on defense last year - DOM).

What adjustments have you made to make our Defense better? We drafted players for 2 straight years to give you help. Woodson was so confused that nothing was done at halftime in the embarrassing SF playoff loss where we (The GB Chumptains) allowed the most yards rushing to a QB in NFL history. Oh & how did we follow that up?

Well -Awh Shucks- we held Kaepernick to a measly 22 yds Rushing on opening day this year.
Yeah a victory right! We still lost!

Oh that's right Kaepernick also passed for a season high 412 yards and 69.2 completion percentage with 1 WR (13-208, & 1 TD) & 1 TE (6-98, & 2 TD's) great adjustments. A feel good story!

& by the way Kaepernicks has since passed for (127, 150, 167, 113, 252, 199, 164, 91).

Can't wait to we get Rodgers back Dom! That's our answer! Oh & glad we weren't matched up against Brady, Brees, or Peyton Manning.

Eli Manning, Kaepernick, Fowles, McCown, Josh Freeman (oh cut by Tampa), & Flacco (no offense this year) all would love to play against the GB Chumpstains so that they can get the Bonuses on their contracts.

Tired of the Excuses about people not doing their jobs. Sit their A*ses on the Bench and give someone else a chance.
Hmmm...
So you know more about how to run a team than the Packers coaching staff?
Then what are you doing sitting there for!
Put on that whistle, the green polo shirt with the G logo over the left breast and get out there and coach that team since you know how to do it!
Crikey!
I know nothing at all about football much less the Packers system.
At least I don't sit here pretending to know it all.

Sunshine885500

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hmmm...
So you know more about how to run a team than the Packers coaching staff?
Then what are you doing sitting there for!
Put on that whistle, the green polo shirt with the G logo over the left breast and get out there and coach that team since you know how to do it!
Crikey!
I know nothing at all about football much less the Packers system.
At least I don't sit here pretending to know it all.

Hey Man I'm glad you are speaking for yourself as far as not knowing anything. As a fan you may be accustom to mediocracy but most aren't. There is an art to playing the game and while it isn't easy it is obtainable if you play as a unit. A lot of the errors are being made on the coaching side of the ball and even though GB played relatively good on defense. Most of it was because the offense held the ball. To give you a perfect example GB stayed in a Nickel Defense with basically 2 down lineman on that last drive and the Eagles did what they should have which is basically run the ball.

Though I'm not a coach I am an ex-player and a life long fan of the Packers. I can breakdown the game films and watch where the errors are being made.

I'm not in to making excuses for why GB's players are not filling their assignments consistently. Playing the ball while it's in the air is one of the most basic things for a DB like it is for a WR. I have consistently watched our DB's not play the ball well and allow catch after catch to move the chains. Does it seem odd to you that McCarthy got mad after the game yesterday based on their performance. All of these guys are being paid and need to follow their assignments. I personally think that the scheme is flawed as I would prefer to see more of a swarming attacking defense that forces the offense to react to what they are doing and not one who is sitting back and adjusting to what the offense is doing.

Last edited:

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

Injuries=not being able to sit some one and let next man up play..

But let's hear who you would sit and who would put in their place

Sunshine885500

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Injuries=not being able to sit some one and let next man up play..

But let's hear who you would sit and who would put in their place

I am referring to Williams or Burnett who are suppose to be the leaders in the secondary yet are consistently missing on their assignments.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
If doctors were that porous or pilots with staying up on the latest technology then we would really be in trouble.
Porous doctors and computer illiterate pilots - pure internet gold. Hey Sunshine - at least the pilots have to speak English.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
Name one player right now on the Packers defense (not name Clay Matthews) who is a big play waiting to happen?
Um, every player on the game day active roster?
Isn't that the definition of players?
Let me turn that around for you rodell - who would you say is not able to have an impact play if in the game?

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
you must just be suffering from some serious "man love" over CM3. Up until his injury he really had not produced like he did in the past. He had what, 3 sacks? **** poor imo. OK,OK,OK,OK.....But he has "pressures" right? yeah yeah yeah......

NOBODY is a big producer this year on defense. The only guy who comes close is AJ Hawk, like it or not, that is the truth. The secondary has totally forgotten what an INT is and a fumble or fumble recovery, what is this such thing? Sacks are at a low, INTs are non-existant. Hell even getting a tackle for a 1 yard loss gets me exited nowadays. woo-hoo a 1 yard loss....take that opposing team!!!!

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Um, every player on the game day active roster?
Isn't that the definition of players?
Let me turn that around for you rodell - who would you say is not able to have an impact play if in the game?

Better question Donnie- then who has? there has been oppertunities but has the play been made? i saw two plays where the ball was floating in the air forever and both db's ended up falling down or running into each other just to see the pass go for a long touchdown.

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
you must just be suffering from some serious "man love" over CM3. Up until his injury he really had not produced like he did in the past. He had what, 3 sacks? **** poor imo. OK,OK,OK,OK.....But he has "pressures" right? yeah yeah yeah......

NOBODY is a big producer this year on defense. The only guy who comes close is AJ Hawk, like it or not, that is the truth. The secondary has totally forgotten what an INT is and a fumble or fumble recovery, what is this such thing? Sacks are at a low, INTs are non-existant. Hell even getting a tackle for a 1 yard loss gets me exited nowadays. woo-hoo a 1 yard loss....take that opposing team!!!!

Call it what you want to but take clay Matthews off this D and i guarantee you we rank last in the NFL. He gets double team'd and when he's healthy you don't see to many teams run to his side of the field. I see guy's twist an ankle and miss 4 weeks but i can't fault him for trying to help the defense with 1 hand.

Members online

Latest posts