Dom Capers, Long Term.

TheGiftedApe

TheGiftedApe
Reaction score
Video Gallery

In this Media Day interview, Dom refers to "this thing is just getting started for us" as in his stay in Green bay, saying that **** Lebeau has been in Pittsburgh for a long time and he has been here relatively a short time. But When I first listened to it, It sounds like Dom is thinking of starting something special here and Sticking around for a while(nothing would make me happier) What are the long term chances of us keeping Sir Dom Capers for say 5-10 years?

Incubes12

Bay Harbor Butcher?
Reaction score
Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes......YES.

The guy is happy here (errr there, haha). I'm a happy man hearing this.

GWheels

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would love to see Coach Capers stick around that long. As long as we stay half way healthy we should have a top 5 defense every year.

fettpett

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I so agree....I wanted Greg Williams 2 years ago because he fit what the Packers already had in place....I'm glad I'm wrong and Hope that Dom sticks around for a LLLOOONNNGGG time, even if MM moves on. Though not as a HC, like him to stay DC

armand34

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have a really hard time thinking he would leave...look at what he's built already and the young & old talent he has here...the execution of his Defense can only go up...much like Lebeau saying he couldn't leave the Steelers and he loves the guys he had under him, I would think Dom Capers feels the same way about Green Bay's young defense and veteran players...he hasn't finished what he's started yet and can only imagine how much better they will be next year

Incubes12

Bay Harbor Butcher?
Reaction score
I so agree....I wanted Greg Williams 2 years ago because he fit what the Packers already had in place....I'm glad I'm wrong and Hope that Dom sticks around for a LLLOOONNNGGG time, even if MM moves on. Though not as a HC, like him to stay DC
He won't be HC. It sounds like he knows where his strengths lie. He had offers and he passed on them already.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's already done the HC gig twice and it didn't work out all that great. If the man gets paid well I think he would have no problem setting up shop the DC in green bay for many years to come.

fettpett

Cheesehead
Reaction score
oh, I know he wont be a HC again...just saying that if MM moved on I hope they keep him around as DC and not try to promote him to HC

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I heard (sorry no link) that he got a raise this past year..

Anyone else got info like that?

Ivo?

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm glad he didn't have a sophomore slump here. In the past his defenses had made great strides in year one but a bit of a let down in year two. Not in Green Bay!!

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's already done the HC gig twice and it didn't work out all that great. If the man gets paid well I think he would have no problem setting up shop the DC in green bay for many years to come.

It's important to remember both of his head coaching stints were with expansion teams, not established teams. And he took the Panthers to the NFC Championship Game, before losing to us.

That said, I think he enjoys being in Green Bay and have heard more than one rumor suggesting he would like to become our **** LeBeau.

VersusTheMoose

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That would be huge for the Packers. I noticed the same thing, hopefully it is insight into what he wants to do.

Claymaker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He was paid over $2 million this year by the Packers. I have to believe that's one of the highest paid assistant coaches in the NFL. He is well worth that kind of money...remember how pathetic the defense was in 2008? Granted, getting the 2 most important pieces in the 3-4 in 1 draft helps a ton, but he still puts them in the right spots. Last year was brutal against good passing teams but that was mainly because they had Jarrett Bush/Josh Bell back there instead of Sam Shields.

fettpett

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He was paid over $2 million this year by the Packers. I have to believe that's one of the highest paid assistant coaches in the NFL. He is well worth that kind of money...remember how pathetic the defense was in 2008? Granted, getting the 2 most important pieces in the 3-4 in 1 draft helps a ton, but he still puts them in the right spots. Last year was brutal against good passing teams but that was mainly because they had Jarrett Bush/Josh Bell back there instead of Sam Shields.

ugh....i shudder at the defenses that the Packers put on the field between 1999 and 2008....particularly in the playoffs...

Reaction score
What was really interesting during Media Day today is that many players were mentioning the greatness of Dom Capers and not MM. When they said the word 'coach' they spoke of Dom in the next sentence. We heard that from Raji and a few others.

The man is brilliant. And I'm glad Kevin Green is with him.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just in case he does start to talk about leaving, I got a pair of handcuffs without the key.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What was really interesting during Media Day today is that many players were mentioning the greatness of Dom Capers and not MM. When they said the word 'coach' they spoke of Dom in the next sentence. We heard that from Raji and a few others.

The man is brilliant. And I'm glad Kevin Green is with him.
That is because the way the Packers' staff is organized, Capers has almost as much authority with the Defense as McCarthy has.

In fact, Capers handles almost all the specific work on D. I would venture a guess that MM is almost never present during defense meetings, as he spend most of his time with the offense...

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
this was from 2009:

According to ESPN's Chris Mortensen, the Packers are [ame="http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3843754"]Dom Capers joins Green Bay Packers as defensive coordinator - ESPN[/ame] for Capers.
He is still owed $2.6 million by the Dolphins for the 2009 season; he was hired by Miami in 2006 and was defensive coordinator in 2007.

While the Packers are getting an undisclosed discounted salary for this year, a source said the team will pay Capers in excess of $2 million for 2010.

I'm hoping Ted keeps him happy by paying him head coach money, without the headaches of being a head coach. The guy has been a genius this season, particularly in view of all the injuries.

OP
OP
TheGiftedApe

TheGiftedApe

TheGiftedApe
Reaction score
We will have to send him a big bouquet of cheese and green and gold flowers in the offseason.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts