Dom Capers for Head Coach.

TheGiftedApe

TheGiftedApe
Reaction score
Now I don't want to start a MM/TT flame ware here. What I want to talk about is DOM CAPERS!!!!! About 4 weeks ago, I read in the WSJ, that mike mccarthy thought teams would be coming in and interviewing Dom Capers for head coaching jobs. And after the job he has done for the last 2 years I agree with him. However I feel the first team to interview him should be, The Green Bay Packers. IF we let this guy go, it would be the single dumbest thing the organization has done in its entire history. The man comes in, installs a new defense, and put's up back to back #2 ranked defenses, even with the injuries.

Tramon williams is now a stud, Shields looking great, Collins has gone from probowler, to possible hall of famer. New Draft picks Raji, and the ClayMaker, look like absolute studs. (aj hawk living up to his draft status finally??) I don't care how much it costs to pay capers, or what title he wants, If the organization lets capers go, I will be so disappointed I don't even know. This defense is so awesome to watch, and you know it put's a smile on A-rod's face when he see's the other teams qb on the ground more than himself.

If there is some team going after capers really hard in the offseason, I would be willing to make mccarthy step down to offensive coordinator, and put capers in the lead role. If Mccarthy wouldn't take it, I think we can get another good Offensive coordinator, easier than we could find another defensive MASTERMIND.

Let's hear you love for the man, the myth, the legend <3 DOM CAPERS.

Mr. StyleZ

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
No thanks. Why put more burden on him and potentially ruin a great thing? I think MM is a great head coach, but an average to lousy game manager. If someone else was calling the offensive plays...

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MM has been a better HC than Capers was IMO, I am sure there is a way to keep both.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think we should wait to discuss this until something actually happens.
Why speculate on something that could turn out to be nothing?

Incubes12

Bay Harbor Butcher?
Reaction score
Keep Capers where he is, give him a near HC salary if that's what it takes. I'm sure he'd be happy to get the same money as a HC while performing the duties of a DC.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Capers is perfect where he is and MM is a very good (on his way to a great) head coach. At this point in his career, MM will not move back to OC and if cut loose would be a HC somewhere else very quickly.

If Capers does get an opportunity to be a HC, then more power to him. I would hate for this to happen, but he can be replaced.

Let's leave a good thing alone.
Exactamundo.

Reaction score
I completely agree with making Capers the highest paid DC. keeping him is very important. He is our **** lebeau. Mediocre HC, unbelievable DC. We need to keep him period.

erik_m_vos

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you take capers off of DC duties, our defensive production will surely falter. Who could replace him? Keep MM Head Coach, he does fine, Keep DC our DC lol and FIRE SlOCUM and get a new STC and OC that can call the plays

Texpackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I completely agree with making Capers the highest paid DC. keeping him is very important. He is our **** lebeau. Mediocre HC, unbelievable DC. We need to keep him period.

Yes indeed. Capers has already shown what he can do as a HC. Look at his record in Houston to begin with.

Yes, he got an expansion team to a championship game but I think Capers excels as DC and not a HC.

MM is good HC. I can't call him great yet. I still think he needs to let go of the play calling but in reality, he's a pretty good coach. His record speaks for itself. He's had only 1 losing season since he's been here.

Reaction score
I don't think he should be head coach, he's a great for the D, but when he coached before it didnt go so well, granted it was the Texans, but he should stay where he is. As for MM, He is one of the best coaches ever at getting players prepared for a game, but one of the worst playcallers ever. The Pack consistently find themselves at 3rd and 1 and cant convert 75 percent of the time because he packs everyone in close. Same thing on the goalline, dont get me wrong I love Kuhn on short yardage, but not every single short yardage situation. If you have Aaron Rodgers and the weapons he has on offense why wouldnt you use play action or bootleg more? I just don't understand his playcalling. His conservative calls almost lost the game yesterday.

JCpackers04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Capers were to leave for a head coaching job what would happen with our D? would the new coordinator switch back to a 4-3? honestly, what do some of you guys think?

I think we would see a significant drop in performance when compared to these past 2 seasons. Capers is a master of our defensive scheme.

Incubes12

Bay Harbor Butcher?
Reaction score
If Capers were to leave for a head coaching job what would happen with our D? would the new coordinator switch back to a 4-3? honestly, what do some of you guys think?

I think we would see a significant drop in performance when compared to these past 2 seasons. Capers is a master of our defensive scheme.
I just don't think he'll leave, plain and simple. If the guy isn't happy here, with what he's done to this team, he won't be happy anywhere else.

JCpackers04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just don't think he'll leave, plain and simple. If the guy isn't happy here, with what he's done to this team, he won't be happy anywhere else.

it doesnt have to be whether or not he is happy. It could come down to whether or not he wants another shot as a HC.

but IMO Capers strength is at being a DC. he seems to be a master of the 3-4 and with the success he is having here in GB i don't see why he would leave. Unless he really wants another shot as a HC. but i also dont think he leaves.

Favre4Ever

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
This is a No Go... Dom Capers has PROVEN that he can't be a head coach. And I think other teams know that, and I think he knows that. Plus, Mike and Ted have built this team from the ground up. We can't just boot McCarthy, especially after we just won our wildcard matchup.

What we NEED to do is get him signed to a long term contract to be DC.

Incubes12

Bay Harbor Butcher?
Reaction score
Other than $$$$, why on Earth would he leave a SB contending team to be HC on a 4-12 team? It just doesn't make sense.

Wood Chipper

Fantasy Football Guru
Reaction score
if someone else offers capers a HC position with a better salary then we should offer him to stay as DC but with a bit more pay than what the other team offered him

Wood Chipper

Fantasy Football Guru
Reaction score
This is a No Go... Dom Capers has PROVEN that he can't be a head coach. And I think other teams know that, and I think he knows that. Plus, Mike and Ted have built this team from the ground up. We can't just boot McCarthy, especially after we just won our wildcard matchup.

What we NEED to do is get him signed to a long term contract to be DC.

why on earth would you join packerforum in jan 2011 and choose your name as favre4ever unless your a vikings fan

Packrat12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Some men are better off in secondary roles. Dom Capers is a great DC, maybe the best, but as a head coach he is 3 and out. Twice. Yes, they were both expansion teams, but 3 years none the less. I firmly believe that he will not leave after this season for sure. He may go at it again next year, if someone with a good offense that needs a defense built calls. He likes it in GB and we are not going to lose until February, (fingers crossed) so an interview will be next to impossible to get. Plus, with the CBA he would not get to implement any system until possibly August. He would be stupid and this would be the worst time.

As for anyone who says we should replace MM. That is completely retarded and ridiculous. He is a great coach, the players love him. He is calm and well prepared. He is not afraid to make decisions and runs the offense to perfection. He fully trusts in all aspects of his team, even if some of you may not. When he runs twice, and then calls a pass play, where AR gets sacked, there was a purpose. You may think it was dumb, but that is why you are posting on packers forum and he is HC. He made sure that there was zero chance of turnover and then gave the ball back to philly with no time outs against his #2 defense in the league. I was scared, you were scared, MM had full confidence. He manages every game to win them, not to make anyone happy. It may not be flashy but it is very effective. The job he has done with this team is unbelievable and he deserves way more credit than that. He is the one who hired Capers. So who is the real genius?

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
good news. Capers isnt going anywhere for awhile. Only 1 coaching job is available right now, oakland, and Capers isnt the front runner or the type to take that job. After the CBA gets worked out the packers will sign Capers to an extension and compensate him well.

So at a minimum I think he will be here for 2 more years. Which is great. The only worry anyone should have is he has said he would like to be a HC again someday. The positive thing is most teams are going young these days with Head Coaches.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts