Dom Capers and the defense is ready

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If I were a 49ers fan (Thankfully I'm not and am rooting for the best team in all the NFL) I would be getting worried. As they should be.

http://www.packersnews.com/article/...fense-plans-healthy-dose-hits-read-option-QBs

Clay Matthews offered a preview of what many NFL defenses are planning this season for read-option quarterbacks such as the San Francisco 49ers’ Colin Kaepernick.

During an appearance Monday on the “Mike and Mike” show on ESPN radio, the Green Bay Packers outside linebacker said that officials visiting training camp confirmed that a quarterback will not be protected by the NFL’s defenseless-player rules when he’s carrying out fakes in the read option.

So Kaepernick, along with Carolina’s Cam Newton, Seattle’s Russell Wilson and Washington’s Robert Griffin III can expect to take plenty of hits even if they hand off or pitch the ball in the read option.

“You do have to take your shots on the quarterback,” Matthews said as quoted by NFL.com, “and obviously they’re too important to their offense. If that means (coaches) pull them out of that type of offense and make them run a traditional, drop-back, pocket-style offense, I think that’s exactly what we’re going for. So you want to put hits as early and often on the quarterback and make them uncomfortable.”

In March, coordinator Dom Capers and his assistants took their day trip to visit the coaching staff at Texas A&M, which runs the read option and could offer tips on what does and doesn’t cause problems for its offense. They spent the rest of the spring implementing their plans.

OP
OP
Forget Favre

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think we will see a much different defense.
One that is prepared and improved.

12theTruth

We have things to build on from last season on D. Finished 11th in what total defense during regular season. If Capers doesn't get embarassed as in the playoff games and provides a good scheme, he has more horses to make an impact on Sunday. I'm cautiously optimistic.

In Week 1 I'm more worried about the offensive timing and converting drives into TD's.

OP
OP
Forget Favre

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We have things to build on from last season on D. Finished 11th in what total defense during regular season. If Capers doesn't get embarassed as in the playoff games and provides a good scheme, he has more horses to make an impact on Sunday. I'm cautiously optimistic.

In Week 1 I'm more worried about the offensive timing and converting drives into TD's.
First of all I really like puns and plays on words so I love your screen name. Very clever. :tup:

Second, good to see your cautiously optimistic. A little bit of optimism is better than none at all.;)

I am excited for this game to see what the Packers do with an improved defense and also because it's time to get back to football.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've always stayed more along the lines of Capers, not worried about the anomalies as much as the big picture. Our defense has been mostly good in the regular season but has performed terribly in 3 out of 8 playoff games. That's still not bad but it's more pronounced because of the elite play of Rodgers and his receivers. This defense can still win the Super Bowl which is more than many other teams could say. It's the modest changes that will make the difference, not wholesale changes.

Marvin49

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Waiting for Marvin49er to spout off in 5....4....3....2....1

LOL.

I'm not worried.

Thats not to say I'm assuming the 49ers win, I'm just not worried about all the study of the read-option. It isn't and has never been the 49ers entire offense. Niners won in GB in the opener last year without it and with a different QB.

Almost half of Kaepernicks yards on the ground came on scrambles, not designed runs or Read-Option plays.

Basically...alot of hubub about nothing. The funny part is that the Niners played 2 more games last year after that Packer game and those defenses made sure Kaep wasn't running wild...which is just fine because that isn't the only weapon in the arsenal. You can either get upfield fast ignoring the RB to hit the QB (Ravens) which allows big gaping holes in the run game or you can sit back and try to keep Kaep in the pocket...which is good too because it creates time in the pocket in the passing game.

Look, what happened last year in the playoffs vs the Packers is a one time thing. Its the exception, not the rule. I don't expect to ever see that again particularly because the Packers won't let it happen that way again. Its the THREAT of the run that is the most dangerous because it puts so much pressure on the defense.

RockyRaccoon

Day Tripper
Reaction score
I agree with Marvin. All this talk about the read-option is going overboard. It's a nice gimmick and all, but Kaepernick killed us at least as much on scrambles as he did on read-option plays.

IMO, the Packers' biggest issue defensively against the 49ers last year was the complete inability to stop the run, no matter who was running the ball. Getting manhandled up front and poor tackling were much bigger issues for the D than the read-option.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Forget Favre

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LOL.

I'm not worried.

Thats not to say I'm assuming the 49ers win, I'm just not worried about all the study of the read-option. It isn't and has never been the 49ers entire offense. Niners won in GB in the opener last year without it and with a different QB.

Almost half of Kaepernicks yards on the ground came on scrambles, not designed runs or Read-Option plays.

Basically...alot of hubub about nothing. The funny part is that the Niners played 2 more games last year after that Packer game and those defenses made sure Kaep wasn't running wild...which is just fine because that isn't the only weapon in the arsenal. You can either get upfield fast ignoring the RB to hit the QB (Ravens) which allows big gaping holes in the run game or you can sit back and try to keep Kaep in the pocket...which is good too because it creates time in the pocket in the passing game.

Look, what happened last year in the playoffs vs the Packers is a one time thing. Its the exception, not the rule. I don't expect to ever see that again particularly because the Packers won't let it happen that way again. Its the THREAT of the run that is the most dangerous because it puts so much pressure on the defense.
The Packers defense IMO is going to be much more prepared for any scenario.

You don't have to worry, of course, but you and all the other 49ers fans like those cocky trolls who are posting on here as well as a few Packers fans should not underestimate the Pack.

12theTruth

First of all I really like puns and plays on words so I love your screen name. Very clever. :tup:

Second, good to see your cautiously optimistic. A little bit of optimism is better than none at all.;)

I am excited for this game to see what the Packers do with an improved defense and also because it's time to get back to football.

The "we're talking bout practice" man Allen Iverson, a.k.a "The Answer". was bestowed with that moniker I'm thinking Aaron Rodgers deserves the ultimate. Nothing trumps, "the Truth" .

Yeh but anyways thanks for the props. By Sunday I'm going to be a nervous wreck waiting for this game to begin. :oops:

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here ya go! Instead of being the swiss cheese d they went to being just the swiss cheese secondary. I guess that's improvement. (Now back to lurking.)
I thought the defense played pretty well against a quality opponent. Mistakes as usual were the reason for the defeat.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Well, they gave up just short of 500 yards ... so that's better than 579 I guess.

Time of possession was 39 to 21 ... 9'ers got 43 minutes in January ..... so, that got better too.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Almost completely on Capers. Zone and off coverages were dissected, McMillian and Jennings were atrociously miscast, and WTH was Bush doing on the field outside of ST? Only break he gets were the hesitation and peeking from the secondary. Front 5/4 were tearing it up though. (Hawk and Jones had their ups and downs)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts