Dolphins say DE Taylor won't be at minicamps, training camp

IronMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://cbs.sportsline.com/nfl/story/10836092
DAVIE, Fla. -- The feud between Jason Taylor and Bill Parcells intensified Wednesday, making it likely the six-time Pro Bowl defensive end has played his last game for the Miami Dolphins.

Coach Tony Sparano said Taylor isn't expected to take part in any team activities through training camp. The revelation came less than 24 hours after Taylor finished second to Kristi Yamaguchi in the finals of Dancing With the Stars in Los Angeles.

For weeks the new Dolphins regime, led by Parcells, has fumed while Taylor spent his offseason focused on his budding Hollywood career rather than back in South Florida working out with teammates.

Following a voluntary team practice Wednesday -- with only Taylor missing -- Sparano signaled the Dolphins are ready to move on without their top defender.

"I'm glad we know this. We've gotten the information, and that's important," Sparano said. "I know that Jason is not going to be in any minicamps, and I know that right now Jason is not going to be at training camp.

"So that's what we know. Jason's a player under contract with the Miami Dolphins. He knows that. Both parties are well aware of the information. That's all I'm going to say about it. ... We need to discuss the current players on our team right now that have been busting their butt for nine weeks here."

While Sparano implied that Taylor initiated the latest development in the soap opera, the coach declined to be more specific. Taylor and his camp were mum about the situation.

In a recent interview, Taylor said he was unhappy he had talked "probably less than a minute each" with Parcells and new general manager Jeff Ireland, which he perceived as silent treatment. But the 33-year-old Taylor said he still planned to play this season.

"I want to win, period, and I would love to win in Miami," he said Saturday from Los Angeles. "There are a lot of things out here going on, and a lot of opportunities coming up, but the plan is to play. Football is still my priority. I still have a passion to play football."

Taylor was in New York on Wednesday for post-Dancing network TV appearances. He planned to fly back to Los Angeles for meetings Friday with executives of Universal and Warner Bros., while the Dolphins hold a voluntary three-day minicamp this weekend.

A mandatory minicamp is scheduled June 6-8. Taylor is expected to return to South Florida by June 2, when he hosts a charity golf tournament.

Taylor was the lone Pro Bowl player for the Dolphins last season, when they went 1-15. Defensive tackle Vonnie Holliday, who is close to Taylor, said his friend's absence isn't a distraction for the other players.

"All they want to know is if and when he's coming back," Holliday said. "That's the only issues we have with JT right now."

Taylor has been plotting a Hollywood career since joining the Dolphins as a rookie in 1997, and he envisions himself in the kind of action roles that made Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson a movie star.

Taylor was the subject of trade speculation throughout NFL draft weekend, but at the time, Ireland denied the Dolphins were eager to part with him. Jacksonville Jaguars coach Jack Del Rio said his team pursued a deal, but the Dolphins took Taylor off the trading block.

Owner Wayne Huizenga has said the team's open to trading Taylor. Last month Miami drafted two defensive ends as potential replacements -- Clemson's Phillip Merling in the second round, and Hampton's Kendall Langford in the third round.

Taylor had 11 sacks last season to increase his career total to 117, third among active players, and he was chosen NFL Man of the Year.
AP NEWS
The Associated Press News Service

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What is his problem with Parcells and the team?
He's under contract, so all he can do is not play, and not get paid.
TRY to force a trade.

Members online

Latest posts