Dolphins possibly interested in trading TE McMichael.

smlutz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

FINS TRYING TO TRADE McMICHAEL

Alex Marvez of the South Florida Sun-Sentinel reports that the Miami Dolphins are trying to trade tight end Randy McMichael.

The price? A third-round pick.

At a time when neither the free-agent market nor the 2007 draft class is filled with high-end talent, the possibility should be tempting for any team that needs a pass-catching tight end.

McMichael is under contract through 2009. He's due to earn a $3 million roster bonus and a $1 million salary in 2007. Per NFLPA records, his base salary for 2008 is $3.5 million and his base salary for 2009 is $4 million.

The 2002 fourth-round pick has caught more than 60 passes in three straight seasons. However, he has been implicated in multiple off-field incidents involving allegations of violence against his wife.

If McMichael is traded, the Fins would then likely be in the market for another tight end. An intriguing option is University of Miami product Greg Olsen, who ran the forty-yard dash in 4.45 seconds last weekend at the scouting combine. But the Fins pick at No. 9 in round one, and that likely is too high to take him.

They could use the third-rounder that they get for McMichael (if they are able to get a third-rounder for him) and package it with other picks in an effort to get back into the bottom of round one, if Olsen is still on the board.

This is a guy I think Green Bay could really use...and for a 3rd round pick something I would really like to get done.

Reaction score
This has to be a sign from God.

I'd MUCH rather trade the 3rd rounder for McMichael than for Moss.

His salary cap hit, by looks of it, for this year would be in the 2.3ish million dollar range. That is a bargain.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I rather keep the 3rd round pick and use it on a TE than trade it for a pretty good player McMichael would be worth a Day 2 pick in my opinion but not a day 1. He's not a big enough playmaker to lose a day 1 pick for in my opinion. I'd like to have him but I rather have Moss who’s upside with this team is unlimited than McMichael who is a good player but wouldn't really make me think much differently of the Packers. If Willis McGahee can barely generate a 3rd round pick then McMichael’s value is not as high as the Dolphin’s believe.

Krazygangsta

Cheesehead
Reaction score
:thumbsup: 3rd pick for him is pretty good ... i would do it ... we should get him draft a WR first round and get a RB in the second

brennan1884

Cheesehead
Reaction score
mcmichael had 63 receptions in 06' for about 10.7 yards per catch and had only three touchdowns, in my opinion ted thompson would not risk a first day draft pick and compromise building the foundation for a guy from south florida whose had numerous off the field incidents. I have been really tracking this draft and i personally feel that Greg Olsen from Miami at TE would be a steal pick at 16, heres why. If we draft Marshawn Lynch, he would struggle to pick up the zone scheme immediately, however if we draft Greg Olsen in the first we have an immediate red zone threat, we struggled heavily in the red zone last year and this peice would fit the puzzle perfectly. I say we nab Olsen in the first, take Brandon Merriweather in the second, (remember Merriweather was the highest rated safety coming into the 06' season) and take a running back like tony hunt from Penn State in the third round.

let me know what you think

brennan1884

Cheesehead
Reaction score
one more thing!!!!! Insiders are reporting that if Lynch is on the board at 15.....they will take him......so forget about Laron Landry and Marshawn Lynch

Krazygangsta

Cheesehead
Reaction score
one more thing!!!!! Insiders are reporting that if Lynch is on the board at 15.....they will take him......so forget about Laron Landry and Marshawn Lynch

good now we can draft Olsen or a WR ... and we can draft bush 2nd round

Krazygangsta

Cheesehead
Reaction score
mcmichael had 63 receptions in 06' for about 10.7 yards per catch and had only three touchdowns, in my opinion ted thompson would not risk a first day draft pick and compromise building the foundation for a guy from south florida whose had numerous off the field incidents. I have been really tracking this draft and i personally feel that Greg Olsen from Miami at TE would be a steal pick at 16, heres why. If we draft Marshawn Lynch, he would struggle to pick up the zone scheme immediately, however if we draft Greg Olsen in the first we have an immediate red zone threat, we struggled heavily in the red zone last year and this peice would fit the puzzle perfectly. I say we nab Olsen in the first, take Brandon Merriweather in the second, (remember Merriweather was the highest rated safety coming into the 06' season) and take a running back like tony hunt from Penn State in the third round.

ye thats good ... but if we dont re-sign green will need a RB ... and thats why i say draft bush in second

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:
This has to be a sign from God.

I'd MUCH rather trade the 3rd rounder for McMichael than for Moss.

His salary cap hit, by looks of it, for this year would be in the 2.3ish million dollar range. That is a bargain.

The Dolphins could cut him as well.

I just found out a bad thing though. Drew Rosenhaus is his agent. You bet he'll want to redo that contract and get it done fast.

Reaction score
:shock:

I stand corrected, this is a sign from the devil.

In all seriousness though, I don't mean to be rude or anything but the extent of McMichael's problems are related to spousal abuse.

Now once again, don't get me wrong here, but isn't that what Ahman Green had to deal with a while back, and he basically refused to discuss the matter at all?

It died down, and I'd have to think if McMichael refrains from talking about the situation, it won't become a team distraction. As long as he were to produce, people would overlook his wrongful deeds or at least not pay as much attention as they would otherwise.

If Ahman could deal with spousal abuse charges while with the Packers, then is it farfetched to think McMichael could do the same?

Having Drew as his agent is definitely a strike against him though.

PackerLegend

Cheesehead
Reaction score
3rd round pick seems a bit high, when the Pack played the Dolphins he was dropping alot of passes he looked like Bubba in a way.

cyoung

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well theres three choices:

1 Take the trade for McMichael (good player)
2 Use 3rd pick and Draft Ben Patrick (Delaware) or Scott Chandler (Iowa)
3 Keep Bubba and David (uhh...right now looks a little bad right now)

Right now I'm leaning on the draft thing but McMichael wouldn't be bad at all he is a pretty good blocker, and a good pass catcher.

kmac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I rather keep the 3rd round pick and use it on a TE
Dude, are you serious? You would rather have Ben Patrick or Matt Spaeth than McMichael? Are you off your rocker?

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
porky88 said:
I rather keep the 3rd round pick and use it on a TE
Dude, are you serious? You would rather have Ben Patrick or Matt Spaeth than McMichael? Are you off your rocker?

Both Patrick and possibly Scott Chandler offer much more upside than McMichael and both will come at a way cheaper price.

Drew Rosenhaus is probably going to ask for a huge raise especially if McMichael changes teams. It would not shock me to see him ask for a contract that would put McMichael as a top 5 paid TE in the league. He is not worth that. I rather use the 3rd round pick on a TE that offers more upside rather than trade it for a guy who’ll demand more money than he’s worth.

That's how Rosenhaus does business and I doubt he changes now.

This is one of the primary reasons that the Bills want to get rid of Willis McGahee. He wants elite money for a RB. His agent is Rosenhaus. He may not get the pub he used to but he still works the same way as always. McGahee is in a contract year.

I rather put confidence in Ted Thompson and the current scouting staff that they can find a player that can come in and contribute rather than make a desperate move and overpay for just a pretty good player.

Plus there is a good chance that the Dolphins just go ahead and cut McMichael.

cyoung

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like McMichael and would be estatic to see him playing for the Pack.

Although a cheaper choice would probaly be Ben Patrick, or being the Hawkeye fan I am I would jump through the roof if the Packers took Scott Chandler.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score

To me, Greg Olsen seems like he is walking in Jeremy Shockey's footsteps and will be a huge attitude pill to absorb. Plus watching a couple of the games this year, most noteably the FS game, he just doesnt seem like a first round talent to me. Just my opinion. For his size, 6'5" and speed 4.51 40, he should have dominated more in college. Maybe that is a product of the Miami QB situation, but if we were picking lower in the first .. early second heck yeah. Just my opinion.

PackerLegend

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well looks like teams thought this may have been coming thats why no one traded for him but now he could be cut because of roster bonus.

FINS SAYING FAREWELL TO McMICHAEL

A league source tells us that the Miami Dolphins will soon be releasing tight end Randy McMichael.

McMichael, who recently emerged on the trade block, was due to earn a $3 million roster bonus on Wednesday. In lieu of paying the money, the team is cutting him loose.

The veteran tight end should draw immediate interest in a relatively weak field of free-agent tight ends. But the red flag is his history of allegations of violence against his wife.

Then again, in today's NFL, that's like getting pulled over for having an expired inspection sticker, isn't it?

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well looks like teams thought this may have been coming thats why no one traded for him but now he could be cut because of roster bonus.

FINS SAYING FAREWELL TO McMICHAEL

A league source tells us that the Miami Dolphins will soon be releasing tight end Randy McMichael.

McMichael, who recently emerged on the trade block, was due to earn a $3 million roster bonus on Wednesday. In lieu of paying the money, the team is cutting him loose.

The veteran tight end should draw immediate interest in a relatively weak field of free-agent tight ends. But the red flag is his history of allegations of violence against his wife.

Then again, in today's NFL, that's like getting pulled over for having an expired inspection sticker, isn't it?

Yep see a few posts ahead of you. That's why I wasn't overly excited giving up a 3rd for McMichael. Now Green Bay can contact him and maybe get him without giving up compensation. I wouldn't mind GB getting a hold of McMichael but his agent (Rosenhaus) is tough to get a deal done with.

Reaction score
Props on the early call on him getting cut, porky.

It will be a strong market for a TE, but with Graham the only solid TE out there I would think Rosenhaus would look to hike the price of McMichael.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have no link to this but the poster who posted this is very reliable and I've never seen him make something up.

Rosenhaus said

Randy at $4 million is a steal. ... Randy understands it's a business, so he's not taking it personally. ... If he's released, guess what? He'll make a lot more than the $4 million he'll make with the Dolphins

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Foot-in-mouth is the best propaganda agent around. If he gets more than $3 million a year, he's being overpaid... but then again, that is the story of this year's free agency thus far. Do we bite on him? I'd go after him to the tune of about $3 million a year. Lots of money, but with the increase in the cap, we have room. and we NEED a good TE, no bones about it.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Drew Rosenhaus is a ***** and I doubt TT will spend a lot of time on this right now with all of the different things going on and what is left to be done.

Rosenhaus will wear you out getting the deal he wants and I don't think TT will risk spending the time this puke would require to get a deal done.

Besides, we can find a TE that can catch more than 3 td's for less than $4mil.

Members online

Latest posts