1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Dolphins hire Joe Philbin as head coach

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by Pacal, Jan 20, 2012.

1. Forget Favre

Forget Favre Cheesehead

Ratings Received:
    +2,253 / 49 / -15
    At this time, pretty much just the Packers.

In the past I have liked the Brewers and Bucks.
  2. justcallmedaddy

justcallmedaddy Cheesehead

Ratings Received:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I think a lot of coaches are different, we just had our DC Mike Nolan leave our defense for the same job in Atlanta. Greg Williams left New Orleans for St. Louis. Honestly, I'm not going to be too annoyed if Clements stays in Green Bay, I like watching Green Bay.

But, we don't know how much loyalty Clements has to Philbin, or if Clements would take money over a successful team. Maybe he wants a chance to develop another QB or keep developing Flynn? I'm not really sure, but it would be great to have him.
  3. justcallmedaddy

Ratings Received:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Might be a good time to jump right back in with the Brewers, they look to have a very good team if Fielder returns and Braun doesn't get suspended. But, I really can't say too many things positive about the Bucks.
  4. Southpaw

Southpaw Endorphin Junkie

Ratings Received:
    +422 / 16 / -4
    Not the same. Atlanta is a playoff contender and is built to win now and they'll probably be better. Brian Van Gorder was god awful. Williams was let go by New Orleans and rightfully so, he's not very good.

I am greedy though, I want our team to stay together. :)

Clements ability to develop QB's is huge for a team. We've always been the standard in the league for developing future starting QB's and I don't think we'd want to wash our hands of that
  5. justcallmedaddy

Ratings Received:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I completely understand, I thought nobody was going to pry away Nolan from our defense but sometimes coaches like a challenge or to turn a defense/offense around. I never knew Williams was let go from New Orleans, I always thought he left them.

Clements will be a great asset to any team, you definitely want to find a way to keep a guy like that.
  6. Southpaw

Southpaw Endorphin Junkie

Ratings Received:
    +422 / 16 / -4
    True.

I'm pretty sure I heard they let him [Williams] go. Either way it was bound to happen, he wasn't all that great he runs high risk/high reward defense and I think they subtly wanted him gone and felt he was responsible for their loss against the Niners.

Made out to be scapegoat if you will. Which is unfair in a way. While he's not that great a DC, the Saints also didn't have any playmakers on their team this year. Darren Sharper was their playmaker and he made William's defense work about as well as it could have.

They were a defense that relied heavily on the turnover from QB pressure and Sharper was their ballhawk with like 9 ints

I think it will be much easier for us to move forward seamlessly if we promoted Clements to OC. Which is why I see it as unlikely he'll take a job elsewhere.
  7. justcallmedaddy

Ratings Received:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I think the Packers will undoubtedly promote from within and Clements will be their main guy. But do you think that Clements and Philbin were close at all? Because if they were I would think Clements would want to join him and help keep improving Flynn.
  8. SpartaChris

SpartaChris Cheesehead

Ratings Received:
    +944 / 25 / -9
    Depends on his career aspirations. A few successful seasons as an OC would be enough to throw his name into the hat for a head coaching gig. Miami may provide that, but I think the Packers are a little better poised to make another Super Bowl run sooner rather than later, and adding another title would do wonders for his resume.
  9. ExpatPacker

ExpatPacker Cheesehead

Ratings Received:
    +368 / 7 / -0
    I have a strong feeling that this means that Flynn will end up with Miami, and with any luck, it's a deal that GB and the Dolphins are working out.

I seriously doubt Miami would give up its 1st rounder, but they may swap 1st rounders with GB and maybe give GB their 3rd rounder or something like that. Giving up the 28th pick and getting the 9th pick wouldn't be so bad.
  10. KCPackFan

KCPackFan Cheesehead

Ratings Received:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Packer Fan Since:
    One of the thinks that makes the NFL different from other leagues is that players are not traded often and when they are, the trade value does not seem to match their true value. The Carson Palmer trade is one of the only times I can think of where a team got a lot for a player. Sometimes start players are only traded for a single 3rd or 4th round pick. But, Miami really does need a franchise QB so they might be willing to shell over a 1st round. A 2nd round pick would still be a good value for the Pack being that Miami picks so early.
  11. Sacpack

Sacpack Cheesehead

Ratings Received:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Packer Fan Since:
    The relationship of McCarthy and Clements runs from the 90's when they were developing Rich Gannon together. Clements will stay with the man he's been working with the longest in McCarthy. He will take over a team in about 2 years.
  12. Dan115

Dan115 Cheesehead

Ratings Received:
    +403 / 33 / -30
    Packer Fan Since:

He will be 59 in Jun.
  13. Kitten

Kitten Feline Cheesehead Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +1,383 / 7 / -1
    Packer Fan Since:
    I'm happy for Philbin and wish him the best with the Dolphins. Hopefully he can make something of them for next season and get them rolling.
  14. realcaliforniacheese

realcaliforniacheese A-Rods Boss

Ratings Received:
    +807 / 15 / -5
    Kitten,
    Long time no see, been in morning?
  15. realcaliforniacheese

realcaliforniacheese A-Rods Boss

Ratings Received:
    +807 / 15 / -5
    This is probably the best thing that could have happened to Philbin. Get out of GB and the memories of the tragedy and throw yourself into a challenge. Good luck to him. MM will choose well, If Clements is up to the task MM may give him the shot just like someone gave MM shot. Whoever it is I hope he is an offensive genius. Going to be an interesting off season.
  16. Bogart

Bogart Duke Mantee

Ratings Received:
    +871 / 5 / -0
    Packer Fan Since:
    Goodbye Matt Flynn...

I really hate seeing some of our personnel leave. Oakland stole one of our guys, the Dolphins take our OC, now I won't be surprised if Dom Capers leaves, since after all his defense was ranked 32nd this year.
  17. Kitten

Kitten Feline Cheesehead Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +1,383 / 7 / -1
    Packer Fan Since:
    Huh?
  18. bozz_2006

bozz_2006 Cheesehead

Ratings Received:
    +612 / 5 / -0
  19. fettpett

fettpett Cheesehead

Ratings Received:
    +217 / 3 / -0
    Makes one glad we didn't get Greg Williams when it was between him and Dom Capers. Even with **** play by the defense this year (mostly TT's fault for not getting another Pass rusher to replace Jenkins or keeping him)
  20. LombardiChick

LombardiChick Win or lose, I love this team.

Ratings Received:
    +643 / 0 / -0